Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Well RIP my Pietrangelo jersey investment. I hope he gets a good deal like he deserves. Here's hoping Faulk and Krug are worth it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

This is the first time since the lockout the leafs have a roster that doesn't have any giant gaping holes they need to compensate for.

:greencube:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

fawning deference posted:

It was still seen when it happened as "now they have to clear cap space to give Pietrangelo his monster deal" because even though the cap would have gone up, so would have his demands.

I know, most people thought the Faulk contract was a bad idea. It's the best reason I could think of.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I am slightly nervous about being excited for this Brodie signing since the Barrie one didn't work out well. But, I have faith that it will, because he's more of what the Leafs need. Even if Brodie is mediocre, he's a huge upgrade over Ceci playing on Rielly's other side.

Yeah I think the important thing is fit. Barrie had all the same strengths and weaknesses of the rest of the lineup and there was nobody to pair him with that could really help him out.

Seems more likely that Brodie can form a complementary pairing. He’s been relatively durable so I’m not as concerned about his age, with any luck by the time he slows down the cap will be less restrictive.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Ceci to Boston, plz

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
It’s the funniest thing in world. I think about it every time I hear his name.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

heehee posted:

think that means boston is gonna go back to OEL. If he's even still open to being traded anymore.

Barrie would be a better fit than OEL depending on ask.

I think 4 million for Schultz is super steep and while he has been stapled to JMFJ for the past few seasons he is also coming off of the horrific ankle/leg break which really seems to have hurt his mobility and his time on the powerplay recently wasn't super successful. That said there is room to bounce back and the extra time off probably helps him a lot.

In regards to the Penguins I am reasonably happy with what they have done so far. I think they have a hole in the top 6, but when do they not? Sid/Guentzel/Zucker with Geno/Rust and very likely Kapanen to start. Going to assume it is a rotating cast though of Kap/McCann/ZAR though. Could possibly see a reshuffle of Sid/Guentzel/Rust with Geno/Zucker and the previously mentioned 3. The bottom 6 looks to be in good shape. I liked Evan Rodrigues in his brief time and I think he makes a way better 3C than McCann who is more effective on the wing. Kap/Tanev make up the rest of that line. Or Jankowski maybe gets a looks at 3C/wing? I don't know a ton about him and not really seen him play. Blueger stays on the 4th line...ZAR bouncing between 3rd and 4th line maybe sees a little time on the 2nd if he is on a hot streak. Sceviour goes on the 4th line. Lot of flexibility though in the bottom 6. Capable players with some scoring upside.

The D core is a thing. Letang/Dumo. Marino/Pettersson. Mathesson/Riikola I guess. Can see maybe a mix and match going on though. As I said earlier if the Pens could fit Dell and then potentially a defensive person to push for the 6 spot or move Ruhd down the chart a bit.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarloColaiacovo/status/1314734412089774080?s=20

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah I think the important thing is fit. Barrie had all the same strengths and weaknesses of the rest of the lineup and there was nobody to pair him with that could really help him out.

Yeah, I did like Barrie and think he’ll do well in the right situation, but him in the Leafs just didn’t work. Barrie gets his value from 2 things: A partner/system that will let him do Tyson Barrie things (Which are really cool when they work) and bail him out when he needs it, and a team that will let him run the PP show. The first of which the Leafs didn’t have and the second was the one thing their D corps already had covered.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Twin Cinema posted:

I am slightly nervous about being excited for this Brodie signing since the Barrie one didn't work out well. But, I have faith that it will, because he's more of what the Leafs need. Even if Brodie is mediocre, he's a huge upgrade over Ceci playing on Rielly's other side.

Brodie was probably our best d-man last season and he definitely was in the playoffs. Gawd... he carried Gio in the playoffs at times.

Barrie has a better shot and can QB a powerplay... Brodie's better at everything else.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Call Your Grandma posted:

This is the first time since the lockout the leafs have a roster that doesn't have any giant gaping holes they need to compensate for.

:greencube:

This is basically the same team that got shut out by Columbus twice, only their best right-shooting D is now Justin Holl.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Not wanting to extend Pietro long-term but dishing out 7 year deals to 2 worse players in Faulk and Krug is interesting, both of those contracts could look bad in ~3 years

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

This is basically the same team that got shut out by Columbus twice, only their best right-shooting D is now Justin Holl.

The Leafs getting shut out in game 5 is the same thing as the Leafs losing to a replacement goalie, it’s an amusing anecdote but it doesn’t actually mean anything to their roster construction. The Leafs were 2nd in goals for last season (not counting the phantom goals for shootout wins).

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Tanman, come back to Van, man

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Dirty Burger posted:

Not wanting to extend Pietro long-term but dishing out 7 year deals to 2 worse players in Faulk and Krug is interesting, both of those contracts could look bad in ~3 years

The whole reason is because Armstrong doesn't do NMCs and bonus money. That's the only loving thing that really kept this deal from getting done

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Toronto improved with Brodie, but goaltending and scoring outside of their big 4 forwards is still extremely questionable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Toronto improved with Brodie, but goaltending and scoring outside of their big 4 forwards is still extremely questionable.

Wayne Simmonds bitch.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

You're right, they need to trade for "foundational piece" Brandon Sutter

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm a Habs fan now

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Lol ya Simmonds is the answer.

grack posted:

You're right, they need to trade for "foundational piece" Brandon Sutter

God I would love this.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

I'm very confused why Carlo Colaiacovo is tweeting about this. Is he in the media now? an agent?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was on TSN's coverage today and has a show on there now.

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Very excited that the Leafs and Troy Bodie are reunited. Let's see what he can do on defense.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I will take a team with Holl as 2RD over one with Bozak or Matt Stajan as 1C, or Vesa Toskala or Raycroft in net, or Komisarek on the top pairing, or Jeff O'Neill as the top winger, or David Clarkson as the identity of the bottom six, or Colton Orr and Fraser McClaren on the ice at the same time, or Dion Phaneuf as the best defender on the entire team or Jason Blake as the best forward on the entire team.

I'll take it and I can even laugh a bit about how bad it's been.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1314759438344105985

Another Canuck to the Flames

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Duck Rodgers posted:

I'm very confused why Carlo Colaiacovo is tweeting about this. Is he in the media now? an agent?

He has a pretty awesome name.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1314760068483747844

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1314760207688499200

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

isn't Tanev dead most of the time

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
well, I hate that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sabres are signing a bunch of no-names to cheap contracts because they actively hate their star players and fan base, I guess.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1314761779520696320

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

lmao it's actually gonna happen, the Canucks are gonna lose all of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli (and Stecher)! lmao

fire Benning

grack
Jan 10, 2012

FBS posted:

He's played one full season in his career. This last season, in fact.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

SoggyBobcat posted:

lmao it's actually gonna happen, the Canucks are gonna lose all of Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli (and Stecher)! lmao

fire Benning

All to Calgary apparently

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

$1 million more than his brother
I don't know which is the worse contract

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

So Kahun hasn’t signed anywhere yet, right?

The Sabres wouldn’t give him a qualifying offer but they paid Zemgus Girgensens $2.2m and also I want to die rn my lovely team will never be good again

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

$1 million more than his brother
I don't know which is the worse contract

Tanev, up until this last season, was an elite shot-suppressing defenseman that regularly played against the other teams' top lines.

For some reason, he just wasn't all that great this year. Still would've preferred to have him back.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~

FBS posted:

Yes, he will only play about 2/3rds of the games of this deal max. The fact that he was healthy all of last season + playoffs was nothing short of a miracle. You can set your watch to him missing 20 games a year.

I still hate that he's gone, though. He's an excellent steady defensive presence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
Quinn Hughes needs help, Jimbo