Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/_ericblanc/status/1313130757708275720

looks like management should have worn their hard hats :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Actually talking with the workers and meeting their demands is the most OSHA recommendation I can give.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CannonFodder posted:

My rotator cuff is screaming :corsair:

My slap tear stands in solidarity.

:corsair:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Did not see that coming

I once a similar thing kind of happen to a truck fuckler, but with more force. The rear door of his trailer didn't lock properly to open position, I think because he was being lazy and didn't go to the side to secure it, he just pushed it to make it swing to the side perpendicular to the trailer. It was really windy so the unlocked door soon swang back to his way. He immediately pushed it back, unaware that a car was passing the truck from the front, and the timing was just perfect so that the trailer door blasted right back hitting his noggin, fortunately just his helmet fell off and not his head, but he was still in heavy pain. The side mirror of the passing car also fell off.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Xakura posted:

So, uh, spoilers, but later he chops off the tip of a finger, and instead of humbly accepting that he should have been more careful and safety conscious all along, he goes on this rant about how "the world is too safe today" and "children should learn by chopping off more fingers" and "my only regret is that I have but ten fingers to give to the cause". And this goober takes volunteers to work for him for weeks on end! At the time he was even talking about taking hired help. Were they supposed to chop off their fingers to learn too?

I am where I am because I stand on the shoulders of giants. Not because I need to figure out everything from first principles myself, and run face first into every issue along the way.
It's interesting because I just watched that video and absolutely none of what you said is true. He commented that he thinks people have become too risk averse these days and goes on to explain what he means by risk and learning from it, and that a finger is a price he's willing to pay for it. I don't know what took the tip of the finger off, but he stated it wasn't the shipsaw or another saw.

I don't mind a bit of hyperbole, but this sounds like the kind of take you'd get from Fox news.

Still, that part where the dude describes what he built his sawmill rig out of:

"So there's parts of five forklifts, nine semi trailers, ol' sawmill parts, military hobart welder, parking lot sweeper, fertilizer spreader, and god knows what else."

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Pickled Tink posted:

[quote="Xakura" post="508796375"]
So, uh, spoilers, but later he chops off the tip of a finger, and instead of humbly accepting that he should have been more careful and safety conscious all along, he goes on this rant about how "the world is too safe today" and "children should learn by chopping off more fingers" and "my only regret is that I have but ten fingers to give to the cause". And this goober takes volunteers to work for him for weeks on end! At the time he was even talking about taking hired help. Were they supposed to chop off their fingers to learn too?

I am where I am because I stand on the shoulders of giants. Not because I need to figure out everything from first principles myself, and run face first into every issue along the way.

Pickled Tink posted:

It's interesting because I just watched that video and absolutely none of what you said is true. He commented that he thinks people have become too risk averse("the world is too safe today") these days and goes on to explain what he means by risk and learning from it("children should learn by chopping off more fingers"), and that a finger is a price he's willing to pay for it ("my only regret is that I have but ten fingers to give to the cause"). I don't know what took the tip of the finger off, but he stated it wasn't the shipsaw or another saw.

You're exactly making Xakura's point though??

"Oh it wasn't a saw I mutilated myself with, so NBD."

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

https://twitter.com/i/status/1314680867076345856

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

You're exactly making Xakura's point though??

"The world is too safe today" and "people have become too risk-averse" are in no way even approximately equivalent statements.

The other equivalencies you claim are also not equivalent.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

And already it's better than the Mulan remake.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Azathoth posted:

Every one around here now has a "if the tracks are blocked, call this number and reference <unique identifier for the intersection>" instead of a call box.

I called the "report a problem with this railroad crossing" number once in the middle of the night and no one answered. It just rang, no voicemail.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

FuturePastNow posted:

I called the "report a problem with this railroad crossing" number once in the middle of the night and no one answered. It just rang, no voicemail.

Sounds about right. At that point, I'd just shrug and call fire/rescue next. They'll be there sooner or later anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pickled Tink posted:

It's interesting because I just watched that video and absolutely none of what you said is true. He commented that he thinks people have become too risk averse these days and goes on to explain what he means by risk and learning from it, and that a finger is a price he's willing to pay for it. I don't know what took the tip of the finger off, but he stated it wasn't the shipsaw or another saw.

I don't mind a bit of hyperbole, but this sounds like the kind of take you'd get from Fox news.

It’s like the guy who said “if you haven’t had an accidental discharge, you’re not handling your gun enough”.

Griz
May 21, 2001

coupedeville posted:

My manager at that time had worked in a store where the ansul system had been tripped. It's a disgusting substance that you don't want to be around and it contaminates everything that isn't commercial equipment. The store has to be shut while everything is cleaned out and all of your consumable materials that were exposed to the ansul needs to be disposed of (cups, lids, french fry sleeves, straws, et cetera). Glad I never saw that happen.

I used to do tech support for cash registers. one time a customer had the fire suppression system in their food truck go off, let it sit overnight, and whatever is in that stuff visibly corroded all the metal bits on their register.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Platystemon posted:

It’s like the guy who said “if you haven’t had an accidental discharge, you’re not handling your gun enough”.

#SHEEPDOGLYFE
#HIGHSPEEDLOWDRAG
#OPERATOR

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Azathoth posted:

Sounds about right. At that point, I'd just shrug and call fire/rescue next. They'll be there sooner or later anyway.

Yeah

It wasn't an emergency, just the crossing next to my old house, lightning hit it in the middle of the night and it turned on and didn't shut off. A cop showed up to stare at it a few minutes later so I went to bed.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealSexyCyborg/status/1287619743072038912

Didn't spill the food at least.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That ended so much better than it could have.
:eek:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I've lost track, are we talking about a firearm orca penis here?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

I've lost track, are we talking about a firearm orca penis here?

Quoting so this beauty isn’t lost in an edit.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Firearm Orca Penis are highly underappreciated IMO, every band goes through some bad albums.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Platystemon posted:

Quoting so this beauty isn’t lost in an edit.

Yeah, it's unfortunate that he replaced forearm with firearm.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nenonen posted:

Did not see that coming

Neither did I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtW4atyq5-c

Not well documented in the video: the rocks and sand from the top of the wall I'm next to flying into my loving head and face at like Mach 3

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

Neither did I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtW4atyq5-c

Not well documented in the video: the rocks and sand from the top of the wall I'm next to flying into my loving head and face at like Mach 3

drat, you were way too close to that thing for comfort. They have an insatiable lust for Marine blood.

edited for content:

https://i.imgur.com/vOEZeud.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/tpd0hAA.mp4

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 11, 2020

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Is that a waterbottle being thrown into the crucible in the second gif? :catstare:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Electric Arc Furnaces are so badass. Just listen to this thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j2jESz7Zl8

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Even with ear plugs, how can this guy hear anything ever again

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://i.imgur.com/ICzxJuB.mp4

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I feel like that that's being done extremely safely and competently. What's it doing in this thread?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Making me sweat

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

My dream job. My life is a nightmare.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Just leave that there guys, noone's gonna blame ya.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I am honestly more surprised they didn’t just hoist the entire thing up as a complete unit and then disassemble it on top of the building(?)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Ye olde osha, from the historical photos thread:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That looks like a setup to the absolute worst Buster Keaton stunt.
:stonk:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

aphid_licker posted:

Just leave that there guys, noone's gonna blame ya.

The Immovable Ladder

quote:

The so-called immovable ladder[c] under the window of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, made of Lebanon cedar wood, was in place by 1728 and has remained there ever since the 1757 status quo was established, aside from being temporarily moved twice. The ladder is referred to as immovable due to the agreement of the Status Quo that no cleric of the six ecumenical Christian orders[a] may move, rearrange, or alter any property without the consent of the other five orders.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Considering that tensions in the church have escalated to fistfights on ocassion the OSHA guidelines must read more like a couples counselling session.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

I am honestly more surprised they didn’t just hoist the entire thing up as a complete unit and then disassemble it on top of the building(?)

Considering how easily the platform slats they were standing on came off, if they were to hoist it up as a whole one could fall off and obliterate a tank below them.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

AKA 'God's blindspot', AKA the 'gently caress Ladder'

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qi1y7n88pp1r0uzl6.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

monolithburger posted: