Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
On actually wholesome front, Sister Cleaire posts a short video every day wishing you good morning and happy birthday to those applicable, and in general hoping you have a nice day, together with some small topic or another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko34HWmSwFI

For today's video she hopes that people who feel tired or depressed at the start of the week will get to have a lovely and gentle Monday, in her mini-fortunetelling corner predicts that green is today's lucky color, and reminds everyone to take care of their health by washing their hands and getting some exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

No Mods No Masters posted:

Wilding out every day I don't see a korone nendo

Dude I don't even like figures and I would buy one of these. It's crazy how much money is being left on the table right now.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
there's a fubuki figure coming. she was (one of) the first hololive to get really 'big' near the start of the year. So there's probably some sort of lag as they work out licensing and production deals and whatnot. I'd expect more korone merch to come sooner or later, others eventually too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was also a prototype for an Aqua nendo I saw.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, even for big properties, there’s a lag in merch creation. See The Mandalorian Baby Yoda toys delay which were held off being started until the series came out. Only the basic of the basic shirts and simple items were made available in the months after it was revealed.

Cover would definitely be missing out on $$$ if they don’t have anything by the new year. Whatever is the case though, I hope like hell the content creators get a significant cut for the characters they have essentially given life too.

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 12, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I DONT GIVE A gently caress ABOUT MERCHANDISE

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ok dude

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Excuse me, but it's gay dog and her cat wife

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Squiddycat posted:

Excuse me, but it's gay dog and her cat wife

Thank you, I will let him know.

Also thanks for the advice, everyone. I woke up with a cold so I don't know when I'll be dragged into Vtuber 101 again, but there's a lot of good suggestions ITT.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Vtuber nendos would be crazy popular, I think.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tsilkani posted:

I've already got a stack of show nendos on my end table, I don't need vtuber ones too...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Aqua, Matsuri and Fubuki nendos are coming. Nekomiya Hinata, Tsukino Mito and of course Kizuna Ai have ones already.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Liar Lyre posted:

Aqua, Matsuri and Fubuki nendos are coming. Nekomiya Hinata, Tsukino Mito and of course Kizuna Ai have ones already.

If you post about buying the Matsuri nendo watch out
https://streamable.com/nb1xjd

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Onean posted:

The first half of this is just a series of unrelated clips, but the last half is all related and really wholesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeoUrrp0TCs

Edit:
Pikamee and Hana are playing Phasmophobia, a co-op horror game, and it's going well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpHgyfRGw04

From a couple pages back. Thanks for posting the Nijisanji compilation video. I'm still trying to go through them all to see which ones I want to follow. The summer festival firework part at the end was really well editted. Also the amount of work that must have been put into setting up a few minute long firework show must have been immense.

I'm hopeful that we'll see some good changes from Cover/Hololive as 2021 rolls through. As bad as it currently is with the anti drama and such it has at least finally gotten the upper execs at Cover to recognize that more needs to be done for their Hololive branch. HoloEN further supports it. In an interview with ANN I believe Yagoo stated that Hololive had around 80 employees and I think that is including the streams. Which is a really small company if almost half your employees are your talents. In the same interview he stated that they were working on revamping their manager system and hiring more staff. Hopefully this also means a stronger legal and PR team.

The other thing that I'm not sure if its my memory or not but on Yagoo's twitter it no longer lists Hololive as a idol VTuber company but rather that they provide the most advanced virtual entertainment experience. Maybe that means that they'll transition away from idols being the main defining factor.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

they should take all of that money and pay their talent more and buy them gear instead of building a gigantic superstructure of managers and admin staff so we can finally fully make this into the idol industry again imo

the VOMS team already put out shirts and stuff, you don't need a huge team to do this simple stuff. theres no way thats anything but a pretty barebones operation.

studio mujahideen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 12, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wonder what happens when the V-Tuber bubble starts to pop for whatever reason. Some of the girls are popular enough personalities to start streaming under completely different avatars or even their real faces, surely? But would there be non-compete nonsense wrote into their contracts?

Wouldn't it be better for Coco to leave the company and just start streaming on Twitch with a handful of other talent, forming a partnership/signing a deal with something like an E-Sports company that would DEFINITELY hook them up with top of the line PCs/gear and tons of sponsorships along with getting a much, much bigger cut of the donations they're getting. If you look at Twitch or Nico Nico streamers with similar numbers to what some of the Hololive girls are getting, a lot of them doing things freelance or under a streamer's contract are going to be nearly millionaires in their first year.

The closest comparison I could probably make to a V-Tuber is a Korean girl named Hachubby. She blew up out of nowhere because of her really bad English, subsequently learned English almost exclusively through Twitch/Memes on stream, and now she's got so much money a little around 2 years into her career she's able to go on a 4 month tour of Europe and plans on opening her own convenience store back in Korea (Which is where most of her content started, just streaming from her job). She's entirely self-made and an anomaly but there's Hololive girls already that are pulling in double, triple the numbers that she is for her streams

When I hear how little these girls are making, how scuffed part of their setups are because the company doesn't help them get started, and then situations like them getting banned just for mentioning Taiwan I kinda wonder if they'd be better off jumping ship or starting a union before the V-Tuber scene becomes just like the regular idol scene in Japan and Korea (Where talent is paid a pitiful amount compared to what the company makes, but they spend exhausting hours working and end up taking the brunt of verbal abuse)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah VOMS is like four people as far as anyone knows.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Revolver Bunker posted:

From a couple pages back. Thanks for posting the Nijisanji compilation video. I'm still trying to go through them all to see which ones I want to follow. The summer festival firework part at the end was really well editted. Also the amount of work that must have been put into setting up a few minute long firework show must have been immense.

I'm hopeful that we'll see some good changes from Cover/Hololive as 2021 rolls through. As bad as it currently is with the anti drama and such it has at least finally gotten the upper execs at Cover to recognize that more needs to be done for their Hololive branch. HoloEN further supports it. In an interview with ANN I believe Yagoo stated that Hololive had around 80 employees and I think that is including the streams. Which is a really small company if almost half your employees are your talents. In the same interview he stated that they were working on revamping their manager system and hiring more staff. Hopefully this also means a stronger legal and PR team.

The other thing that I'm not sure if its my memory or not but on Yagoo's twitter it no longer lists Hololive as a idol VTuber company but rather that they provide the most advanced virtual entertainment experience. Maybe that means that they'll transition away from idols being the main defining factor.

Cover was started as an AR/VR company and the idol VTuber thing was supposed to be a gateway into that technology as general.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RealFoxy posted:

I wonder what happens when the V-Tuber bubble starts to pop for whatever reason. Some of the girls are popular enough personalities to start streaming under completely different avatars or even their real faces, surely? But would there be non-compete nonsense wrote into their contracts?

Wouldn't it be better for Coco to leave the company and just start streaming on Twitch with a handful of other talent, forming a partnership/signing a deal with something like an E-Sports company that would DEFINITELY hook them up with top of the line PCs/gear and tons of sponsorships along with getting a much, much bigger cut of the donations they're getting. If you look at Twitch or Nico Nico streamers with similar numbers to what some of the Hololive girls are getting, a lot of them doing things freelance or under a streamer's contract are going to be nearly millionaires in their first year.

The closest comparison I could probably make to a V-Tuber is a Korean girl named Hachubby. She blew up out of nowhere because of her really bad English, subsequently learned English almost exclusively through Twitch/Memes on stream, and now she's got so much money a little around 2 years into her career she's able to go on a 4 month tour of Europe and plans on opening her own convenience store back in Korea (Which is where most of her content started, just streaming from her job). She's entirely self-made and an anomaly but there's Hololive girls already that are pulling in double, triple the numbers that she is for her streams

When I hear how little these girls are making, how scuffed part of their setups are because the company doesn't help them get started, and then situations like them getting banned just for mentioning Taiwan I kinda wonder if they'd be better off jumping ship or starting a union before the V-Tuber scene becomes just like the regular idol scene in Japan and Korea (Where talent is paid a pitiful amount compared to what the company makes, but they spend exhausting hours working and end up taking the brunt of verbal abuse)

Hololive is a very valuable brand. They could try going it alone but that's a huge risk.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm not sure if the girls are really getting underpaid if Coco can afford a new apartment and a 9k bed like it's nothing, or Fubuki whale every gacha in existence.

You can argue that there should be a direct line for them to get paid rather than suffer the youtube cuts, but even Marine said she makes way more money than her previous jobs as a office lady.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
https://twitter.com/ninomaeinanis/status/1315771176556228608?s=20

Ina has the best stream schedule announcements. She's just so fun and cute :allears:.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think most hololives, but especially the top tier, could probably go solo and make a comparable amount as long as there's no contractual noncompete type shenanigans. It would just require taking a big hit in the short term, a lot of work, and a skillset of business management they may not have. Coco does surely have to be eyeing the door at this point, rightly

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah we don't know what cut of the merchandising they get, what little merch there is, but the profit margin tends to be high on physical goods and the voice packs are pretty much pure profit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Shipon posted:

Cover was started as an AR/VR company and the idol VTuber thing was supposed to be a gateway into that technology as general.
Yeah, the very first thing released under Cover was a VR ping pong game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAWQ7khmHT0

and then they realized they could just use their VR expertise to rip off Kizuna Ai, and that's how Tokino Sora was born

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tsilkani posted:

The faceplates write themselves.

Regular Peko / Smug Peko / The consequences of my actions

Regular Marine / Sleeping Baba / I am horny (Comes with Aqua's R18 doujin prop)

And so on.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like Amelia is going back into Minecraft in a few to start messing around with the track system for their subway to Atlantis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qygvs0rG50

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
There are special talents in vtubing who are successful no matter where they go because of their talent you only need to look at someone like Polka who has gotten popular (200k+ subs) 3 times now compared to a normie vtuber/streamer. There are some that I think are probably just coasting on the anime girl design, like Botan, who I highly doubt could sustain a popular stream without the absolute S-Tier character design. Whether they could be successful outside of Cover or other people outside of say Niji or Voms would have to do with what they are moving to, ie another vtube identity or face streaming. Some of the girls or guys maybe aren't conventionally attractive or comfortable in front of the camera so playing a character lets their true streaming talent shine through.

I think the thing that makes the different "groups" shine is the kind of forced collab aspect of inhabiting a shared streamer world. Having a Niji minecraft server, or a Holo minecraft server helps build narratives and stuff. For someone to leave that behind for independent they'd need to make sure that they either have strong enough individual streaming ideas or are going with a like minded group that can recreate that appeal. I think you can see this kind of thing also happen with regular game streamers, where like the top FPS guys all know each other and duo/group queue in games a lot. That creates a shared experience with their audience and helps shuffle viewers around.

With say Coco going off Holo and bringing girls with her, she likely wouldn't get the "top holos" to follow her. Pekora, Korone, Fubuki kind of do their own thing. Pekora and Korone could 100% succeed solo if they wanted to, even if they had to leave behind their current avatars.

Edit: Whats interesting to think about is like some people definitely have the talent to stream, but maybe are not discoverable or simply do not have the resources to realize their ambitions, and an org like Niji or Cover helping them with that allows the world to "discover" them. Amelia streamed to 10 users on twitch for like 2 years and only got to 100s of viewers right before she moved over to HoloEN, where she now has almost 400k subs. Would she have 400k subs if she had not leveraged the HoloEN brand? Probably not. But does she deserve 400k subs? I'd say yea, shes fucken great. Being in Holo was a huge boon to her. Or take someone like Ina who didnt really stream and was just a shut in professional nerd, but she gave vtubing a shot and is THRIVING. Would she have even gone indie route? Probably not, but with Holo she has a huge audience and is doing great.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 13, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's almost solid EN minecraft streams for the next two or three days. The bug bit everyone bad.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Amelia: I hate minecraft, its not my type of game, I'll probably only play during collabs
Also Amelia: *Its 6 AM PST and Amelia has been playing by herself for 5 hours*

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like how they're all kind of following different Minecraft paths. Amelia seems smitten with developing infrastructure, Gura is on her quest to build Atlantis and to figure out spells and potions to that end, Ina seems to be going the animal taming route, and Kiara is farming and adventuring.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
at some point they're going to graduate from minecraft to modded minecraft to factorio the way i did

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jerkface posted:

I think the thing that makes the different "groups" shine is the kind of forced collab aspect of inhabiting a shared streamer world. Having a Niji minecraft server, or a Holo minecraft server helps build narratives and stuff. For someone to leave that behind for independent they'd need to make sure that they either have strong enough individual streaming ideas or are going with a like minded group that can recreate that appeal. I think you can see this kind of thing also happen with regular game streamers, where like the top FPS guys all know each other and duo/group queue in games a lot. That creates a shared experience with their audience and helps shuffle viewers around.

Yeah that's one of the biggest appeals about Hololive from a consumer and talent perspective. Newer vtubers definitely get a huge bump in reach and consumers get to see a more streamlined/consistent collab experience. As much as I love some individual members, the interaction between them is the biggest draw for me. That being said, once you reach the top, there's no huge incentive to keep them at Hololive. The top talents could probably "start over" with a new persona and would definitely take a viewership hit, but without the Hololive cut being taken out, they might not even feel it in their wallets.

I think what Cover needs to do to keep their talent is build up their merch support/process and work on getting sponsorship deals for the vtubers; things independents would have a tough time doing completely solo. Basically sign with us and you'll get brand name recognition and opportunities you wouldn't normally get going solo. The other thing that should be a perk is that the company should be able to shield their talent from any sort of harassment, but we all know that's one of the black marks against them.

E: One thing that isn't really taken into account is also the "family" aspect of it all; Coco lives with Kanata and Suisei and some of these girls definitely lack social skills, so the relationships they have with the other members might even be very significant, that's pretty hard to walk away from as well.

Lyer fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 13, 2020

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean, you can literally take your phone into a supermarket this week and have an AR experience where Pekora dances around the instant ramen aisle, sponsorships is one thing Hololive has no problem with

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, I feel that between the girls obviously not really discussing how much money they are making (which is completely understandable) and the little info we have about things like Superchat cuts, we are getting extremely skewered picture about how profitable being a Hololive member actually is and it sometimes feel like they were lured into Hololive by dastardly Yagoo and now are toiling in slave-like condition for pittance, while dreaming to break free out of their contract-mandated chains. But, the thing is that most of the girls were already successful content creators (if not outright independent Vtubers/streamers) in various fields (which is how they were accepted into Hololive in the first place) and despite that, they all decided that joining Hololive and retiring/putting on hold their previous careers was worth it. HololiveEN girls specifically are a good example, because they all mentioned that their success completely shocked them and their expectations going in were far, far more modest. Kiara specifically mentioned in Q & A that her initial guess before she debuted was having around 50k subscribers at the end of the month. Now that is kinda hilarious in hindsight, but it also suggest that what CoverCorp offered them, completely divorced from any expectations of explosive success and all the SuperChats, memberships, merchandises, etc... that comes with it, was still good enough that they all decided to retire their former careers and join Hololive. Now, some of the girls, were small enough that it would be probably a no-brainer even with if the conditions were pretty modest, but its also extremely telling that someone like Polka who had 200k+ subscribers, or Gura who had almost million (yes, really) still took the offer, retired their extremely successful independent careers and began from zero again as a Hololive member. Another telling thing is that Hololive has like 1 (or 3, if you count Holostars, plus one unsuccessful launch in IIRC) retired member and that was due to outside pressure, while for example Nijisanji has almost dozen, so it seems that staying as a member of Hololive, even a less succesful one, is worth it.

TL:DR I suspect (and hope) that paying their talent is actually one of the few things CoverCorp is competent at.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 13, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/takanashikiara/status/1315722774522945536?s=20

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

Honestly, I feel that between the girls obviously not really discussing how much money they are making (which is completely understandable) and the little info we have about things like Superchat cuts, we are getting extremely skewered picture about how profitable being a Hololive member actually is and it sometimes feel like they were lured into Hololive by dastardly Yagoo and now are toiling in slave-like condition for pittance, while dreaming to break free out of their contract-mandated chains.

the only people who are really feeling like that are people who are being too online and too paternal about the streamers. the only thing that comes particularly close to this is cover not giving people enough help with equipment when they start - but then within the first month almost everyone has moved to a better place and bought a bunch of stuff and has visibly moved up several tiers of personal comfort, if they weren't already doing fairly well to begin with

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
There's plenty of indie Vtubers already. It's just that people mostly haven't heard of them because they lack the marketing and networking power of an agency.

Hell, there's even former indie Vtubers among the Hololive lineup. Before she joined Hololive, Suisei spent a year as an independent Vtuber who made her own avatar and wrote her own songs, all without any help. Yet she still thought Cover brought enough to the table to join up.

The Hololive brand is making a big difference, especially in the last couple of generations. Some Gen5 members had six-digit subscriber numbers before their debut streams, based on nothing but their character designs and their Hololive affiliation.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Patware posted:

the only people who are really feeling like that are people who are being too online and too paternal about the streamers. the only thing that comes particularly close to this is cover not giving people enough help with equipment when they start - but then within the first month almost everyone has moved to a better place and bought a bunch of stuff and has visibly moved up several tiers of personal comfort, if they weren't already doing fairly well to begin with

Its a position that's common enough, both in this thread and in discussions about Hololive on the internet in general, that I feel it should be addressed every once in a while, even if it is kinda obvious. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
At risk of some redundancy with what Lt. Lizard has said but I'd already typed it up when the last several posts went up:

It's worth considering that since Cover wants to recruit proven content creators, it's not like everyone that comes on board Hololive is looking to get attention for themselves that they otherwise wouldn't be getting. Plenty of their vtubers seem like they'd be people who'd be successful doing things solo because they were people who were successful doing things solo.

It's not like Cover is just taking unpolished talents and training them to the point Cover's own involvement becomes redundant, as common as thinking through this stuff with that narrative lens has become. They can and do recruit people who are veteran enough they could easily do things on their own but still see some incentive in becoming part of the broader Hololive collective.