Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
talking talking talking TALKING TALKING TALKING

still at least I unpacked a Tak Nozwhisker from the rewards, is there anything interesting to do with him or is it just Pogo/Mill Rogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

My dude, I already posted a Cubelock guide, but I've been tooling around with a Big Warlock in standard. 6-4 so far at Diamond 9/10. Willow pulling out two uncharged Void Drinkers is still a good stat dump for 8 mana. I Keep flipping back and forth between Zephrys, Dragonqueen Alexstrasza, and OG Alexstraza

Thanks! I'll try this one out shortly.

In a side note, what is the main strategy in decks with Forest Warden Omu without Germinate? Is Omu like a free body to play in these decks or is there a deeper synergy I missed?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Jolly Jumbuck posted:

In a side note, what is the main strategy in decks with Forest Warden Omu without Germinate? Is Omu like a free body to play in these decks or is there a deeper synergy I missed?

Yes, for use with Survival of the Fittest and usually Kaelthas. This was enabled by the "bugfix" or functionality change or whatever to how Omu's Spellburst interacts with Innervate/Lightning Bloom.

For example, if you're on 8 hard mana crystals, play Omu + Hero Power, then Lightning Bloom, you now go to 10 mana (instead of just 8 again) and can play Survival.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Julio Cruz posted:

talking talking talking TALKING TALKING TALKING

still at least I unpacked a Tak Nozwhisker from the rewards, is there anything interesting to do with him or is it just Pogo/Mill Rogue?

You could play with a Waxadred/Shadow of Death build or something.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLBnyXVsmzY

Does not feel like it's already time for a new expansion, but here we go, and looks like it's the Darkmoon Faire.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Wasn't the new game mode supposed to come in this expansion? Surprised they're already announcing the next one before talking about that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Could still be the new game mode, if only because this would be a bit early for their last annual expansion announcement.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Even if they are just announcing the expansion, it's only 1-2 weeks earlier than usual since Blizzcon is always the first weekend in November. I'm expecting the bulk of the broadcast to be the new mode they promised and the new (hopefully not terrible but probably terrible) season pass model.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/PlayHearthstone/status/1316817701201821697?s=20

This is some bullshit, right here.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Eesh, Solarian’s a no-brainer for DE’ing, but I’m on the fence with Evocation still being good in Quest Mage in Wild. It’d definitely need to be played with an Apprentice now, though.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
A small-spell mage deck has been my main jam for the last two months and I am not happy about this. I generally only played Evocation with an Apprentice anyway, but if you need to play it as a hail-mary without an Apprentice this nerf seriously hurts.

Oh well, new expansion when?

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Genuinely the reason I'm not playing at the moment is because I'm sick of mages spending the whole game losing, and then just playing Solarian Prime and suddenly being massively ahead for no effort.

So, good.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

7-mana would probably be okay (strong but not broken) if there was some way to prevent every Mage deck from randomly generating two or three extra copies of Solarion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Not gonna miss playing against mages that cast 5 evocations but at least the nerfs were less drastic than what I expected (random effects can no longer generate legendary cards unless they explicitly say so)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
New patch good.

Started just mauling motherfuckers for 25+ about turn 7 and finished the last sorry bastard off on turn 12.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

:bisonyes:

goodbye every lucky Mage opponent I had a.k.a. every mage opponent I had, where I controlled the board and they always topdecked prime on turn 7 to win

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Evocation died for Sorcerer's Apprentice's sins, should've hall of famed it long ago (also rework Mana Wyrm to be a 1 drop again but less snowbally)

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Firebert posted:

Evocation died for Sorcerer's Apprentice's sins, should've hall of famed it long ago (also rework Mana Wyrm to be a 1 drop again but less snowbally)

gently caress that poo poo, its a scourge on wild too. Just have Apprentice not able to lower a spells cost to less than 1 mana. Thats the real problem and could have been done instead of an Evocation nerf, imo

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 15, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there really should be a blanket rule that anything with a mana cost above zero can never be made to cost zero

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

there really should be a blanket rule that anything with a mana cost above zero can never be made to cost zero

ayup. I have been beating this drum for some time and I will beat it until blizzard finally completes its corporate hara-kiri

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I've loved playing small spell mage, had a 65%+ winrate over 100+ games and made legend with it last month. RIP.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

gently caress that poo poo, its a scourge on wild too. Just have Apprentice not able to lower a spells cost to less than 1 mana. Thats the real problem and could have been done instead of an Evocation nerf, imo

Yeah, I like Evocation in no-minion mage, controlled randomness is fine and makes HS quirky and unique from tabletop games. I just hate the apprentice's ability to cause it to spiral out of control with minimal effort.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, for those not aware: Apprentice into Evocation is usually a pretty big swing turn for completing the Open the Waygate quest, or just flat out bursting the opponent down with Flamewaker pings. She’s probably going to be an eternal problem unless she’s one of the cards that they’ve alluded to getting revamped in the future.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A major problem with Evo as a 1 mana spell is that it also made the Mage 1-mana spell pool even more powerful. Wandmaker and Cobalt Spellkin which are otherwise pretty shrugworthy cards are run simply on the basis that you can generate some seriously bonkers value off of them, or even double dip with Magic Trick. I completely agree that Apprentice is the real reason for the problem, but nerfing Apprentice to never reduce to zero will absolutely gut most Mage decks. As is, these two nerfs represent a more moderate approach. Personally I did enjoy watching a lot of the Tempo Mage games - obviously Solarian was clown town, but the intricacy of early pop-off turns is really fun. It only really got silly broken when 0 mana Evocation generated a bunch more 0 cost spells. This delays that by at least a turn which is obviously super relevant.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Yeah, I don't think the problem with solairan and evocation were the cards you put in your deck. It's the created versions that allow the effects to consistently happen multiple times per game, every game that are the problem.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Jeza posted:

I completely agree that Apprentice is the real reason for the problem, but nerfing Apprentice to never reduce to zero will absolutely gut most Mage decks.

Then Mage as a class has a huge fundamental problem. With the effects of mages low cost spells being so good, there is no way they should be 0 mana. I agree with keeping these effects at 1 or 2 is cool while keeping class identitiy.

Also some effects happening over and over again. For example, board freezing is fine, but infinite freezes is why Turtle Mage was insufferable.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 16, 2020

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

"Over the years I have learned that nothing is more important than the journey we take in our own heart."

I finished the Rexxar book of heroes because, apparently, you need to complete the Jaina one in order to get the Rexxar book unlocked and there was a quest for Rexxar during this event and I wanted to head off the inevitable Valeera book quest or whoever is coming next but Christ did anyone think Book of Heroes was a fun mode? I particularly love the final fight for Rexxar where the hero power they give you literally does nothing to any of the minions included in the opponent's deck and having that hero power pretty much turns off the Phase Stalkers that they give you multiples of to pull the largely worthless traps out of your deck (what does Explosive trap do in that fight?).

EDIT: Also, how are we on year six nearly seven of Hearthstone and the collection manager still has the 'random cards flagged as New' bug?

NorgLyle fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 16, 2020

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

(what does Explosive trap do in that fight?).

For me it helped to clear the two 2/2s that that that one thing generates at the end of every turn and attack random things right away

NorgLyle posted:

EDIT: Also, how are we on year six nearly seven of Hearthstone and the collection manager still has the 'random cards flagged as New' bug?

I gave up a while ago and just have a ton of new things all the time, never hover over cards, just let those numbers grow.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
This game was a little more interesting than the screenshot indicates:

There were TWO Mukklas in this lobby, and they were both cranking on the hero power. I had literally a full hand of bananas and was almost dead before I found the wind fury elemental and then unloaded all of them on that, plus two Majordomos who did some serious WORK before I finally sold them off. The free +2/+2 every turn was actually a really nice upgrade from old majordomo and windfury boi easily carried me to victory.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
5 Star Djinni was a mistake

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Then Mage as a class has a huge fundamental problem. With the effects of mages low cost spells being so good, there is no way they should be 0 mana. I agree with keeping these effects at 1 or 2 is cool while keeping class identitiy.

Also some effects happening over and over again. For example, board freezing is fine, but infinite freezes is why Turtle Mage was insufferable.

It's a concatenation of several things. An extremely strong 1 mana spell pool, greater access to the 1 mana pool through targeted generation, and payoff cards like Mana Giant and Chenvaala that are fueled primarily by said cheap spells. Obviously they wanted to push small spells on Mage as an archetype, and well, it really worked. But by nerfing Sorc like that, they will erase that archetype completely. It's probably(?) better to just tweak the most problematic cards rather than remove the lynchpin of the archetype, because it will leave the class helpless and strand all the cards they printed to support it. I wouldn't say Apprentice is causing a fundamental problem because for it to be relevant, there needs to be nutty powerful 1 mana spells on top of cards that reward playing lots of spells in one turn (or in general). It's not like it's been an auto-include in previous iterations of powerful Mage decks in Standard, far from it.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

With the amount of spell generation small spell mage gets, limiting them to 8-10 spells in a turn won't kill the archetype. And having to wait a turn before playing Waygate/Giants won't kill it either

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I really think they need to change Devolving Missiles to 2 soon as well, due to how easy it is for Mage to keep finding 1 cost spells (I'm guessing that's the reason for the Evoc nerf)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

5 Star Djinni was a mistake

Not as much as 5-star 1/1 Poison is. Tripling for a 5* just has too wide a range right now. Either you hit Bran/Baron/Lightfang/Djinn and take the gently caress off, or you hit Strongshell/Tempest/Poison/Junkbot and get wrecked by the dude who high rolled.

Djinni does need to not drop dudes above your Tavern tier, though. I tripled into one and got 3 Amalgadons off him before anyone else got to 6.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I really think they need to change Devolving Missiles to 2 soon as well, due to how easy it is for Mage to keep finding 1 cost spells (I'm guessing that's the reason for the Evoc nerf)

I just wanna get my 1000-win mage portrait, please let me have this

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

good

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

If they do nerf the mana cost they should up the number of missiles I think. It's so bad against wide boards right now.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

skaboomizzy posted:

Oh well, new expansion when?

Unless the pandemic hosed with the release schedule, it should be early December.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

If they do nerf the mana cost they should up the number of missiles I think. It's so bad against wide boards right now.

it would be neat if its targeting prioritized minions who hadn't yet been devolved, or at least minions that cost more than (0). keeps the flavor of devolving something multiple times while avoiding hitting the lone silver hand recruit three times for wisp > wisp > desk imp. pipe dream, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Evocation wasn't a problem when it came out, it's the spell discovery and in particular cheap 1 cost spell discovery with minions attached that has made it strong.