Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Why don’t they run draft leagues of the people who want to play and make the league however many teams the can comfortably fill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah, the Florida part is the least surprising part of the story. But I won’t be shocked to see the same stuff happening elsewhere. I know some people in this thread think they’re totally safe by playing “private ice,” but it only takes one person. And at this point, I’m not willing to take that risk. If you are, keep on truckin I guess, and I wish you good luck.

I decided to play again because in my province of 5 million we're getting around 100-150 new cases a day. This is with school reopening.

Covid has shut down a ton of my social life so I view hockey as my one "risk activity" right now. My social bubble is very small, in no small part due to two of my closest friends having anxiety and they don't seem to want to see anyone right now for the most part.

So I'm trying to balance my mental health with the looming threat of Covid is all. You can bet if I was in Florida or some poo poo I wouldn't be playing though. Or anywhere in the US. It's loving astronomical how poorly the Trump administration has handled this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

As much as they want you to, you don’t have to justify your choices to anyone here.

Have fun. I am extremely jealous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only hockey I'm getting is loading up nhl.tv playing an old game and working out for an entire NHL period.

thanks for reading my blog

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

doctor 7 posted:

I decided to play again because in my province of 5 million we're getting around 100-150 new cases a day. This is with school reopening.

Covid has shut down a ton of my social life so I view hockey as my one "risk activity" right now. My social bubble is very small, in no small part due to two of my closest friends having anxiety and they don't seem to want to see anyone right now for the most part.

So I'm trying to balance my mental health with the looming threat of Covid is all. You can bet if I was in Florida or some poo poo I wouldn't be playing though. Or anywhere in the US. It's loving astronomical how poorly the Trump administration has handled this.

I mean that seems safe enough so long as there's adequate contract tracing and all going on. I'd totally be back playing if my state had that positivity rate per population.

But lol I live in South Carolina and we are a literal plague state.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I haven't been playing and I miss it a lot but I just can't justify the risk. Once there's a (viable) vaccine and/or it dies down enough I'll be back at it though.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The rink in San Francisco has started doing masked, 7-per-side scrimmages. No locker rooms but you can change in the lobby. I'm not that desperate yet.

I strapped on rollerblades for the first time in my life last week and it was brutal. Not like skating at all. Not sure how people do both tbh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Someone on my rink with a confirmed case. They shut down all leagues......... for one week.

They last played on Sunday (my wife’s night) and Monday (my night). Yeesh.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 18, 2020

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

:laffo:

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Last night my team was talking about how different rinks aren’t being careful and how the season would be cancelled any day now. One of them coaches his kids team and was saying it was weird that the rink they played at let them use the locker room, and that he even had to kick a kid out of the locker room for not wearing their mask.

Then some other dude said we only had two more weeks of wearing masks while playing until the hoax was ended with the election. I think I need to play further away from New Hampshire.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
there's a guy i like playing with despite his terrible facebook politics, but we sure as hell didn't invite him out this year since he's been posting plandemic nonsense.

they opened up the dressing rooms at our rink but pretty much only the goalies use them in my group.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Crosspost: Hockey season 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Mad Max On Ice looking pretty good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What burns, never returns

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lmao just the-read the email from our HD

quote:

We are not certain that playing hockey with or against a player who has COVID-19 is considered “close contact”, but to be safe, we are shutting down all adult games for a minimum of one week.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Holyyyyyyy poo poo, that is denial of the highest order. Have it engraved on something you can pass down through the generations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's a no check league you see. Can't have close contact if you can't check.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In 2020 I am not backchecking to stop the spread of disease.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Would screaming "COVID" as you shoot the puck increase the odds of it going in the net?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Would have to sell it with a coughing fit. It could be from being out of shape or COVID.

I'm glad I'm not playing this season, found out 2 weeks ago I have a cataract, at the tender age of 40. So getting my lens replaced and am glad to have the time to recover. Of course I'll be able to see the net more clearly to miss.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
So hockey is cancelled for the next two weeks in Massachusetts, and my league just sent the most passive aggressive “it wasn’t us I swear” email. This is my favorite part.

quote:

Unfortunately, there are rinks, leagues, groups, and entire states, who haven’t taken all of this quite as seriously. We're sure you know yourself who some of those are. There have been more than 30 infection clusters throughout the Commonwealth and a lingering concern that the hockey community isn’t taking the proper steps to reduce the risks. Specific actions and inactions have caught the attention of regulators and caused them to act in the interest of public health. By exectutive order, effective at 5PM tomorrow, October 23rd, all ice hockey facilities are required to cease operations for a period of two weeks. We’re disheartened that the actions of a few have affected the ability to play hockey for all in Massachusetts, as well as the livelihoods of those who work in the industry.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

V for Vegans posted:

So hockey is cancelled for the next two weeks in Massachusetts, and my league just sent the most passive aggressive “it wasn’t us I swear” email. This is my favorite part.

If it wasn't them, they absolutely contributed to it. They can't even police their own games and players properly as-is, and they thought they could count on those same dinguses to manage a pandemic? Hahaha.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

Wonder_Bread posted:

If it wasn't them, they absolutely contributed to it. They can't even police their own games and players properly as-is, and they thought they could count on those same dinguses to manage a pandemic? Hahaha.

Right? They say they had 0 players report being positive earlier in the email, but that’s just people who directly told them they were positive. Half the players in stinky socks play in other leagues, especially the New Hampshire leagues that stayed open over the summer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The Cleveland area beer league is about to start up its first regular season games this weekend.

Due to Covid (and a tiny bit of sandbagging drama), it took a long time for teams to get their ducks in a row. A lot of guys opted out of the season altogether, so there were multiple teams at each level that didn't have enough players for a roster. So, a lot of teams decided to combine, which also made a good excuse to make some guys play up a level.

The wrinkle is that the league had rules where every player has to have a team jersey with their numbers and last name. New players usually get a reprieve till about December/January. This year, because of all the shuffling, the league might be just allowing teams to have what are essentially practice jerseys for a while.

Months ago, hockey rinks got the OK to open back up and most had to institute new rules. Some are more able to accommodate them than others though, and some rinks held off on reopening until a later time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You have to have last names on the jersey? That's wild, I've never heard of that before and, quite frankly, would be annoying. Even though everyone on my main team has jerseys, we don't put names on them.

Not being able to just wear a white/black jersey during a COVID season seems odd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My team wanted names on the jerseys because we're all having midlife crises and wanted to at least look like pros even though deep down we know we're all terrible hockey losers.

Though technically we're winners, we've been D league champions for over a year now because there hasn't been a playoff series since August 2019. It's a fuckin dynasty now.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

You have to have last names on the jersey? That's wild, I've never heard of that before and, quite frankly, would be annoying. Even though everyone on my main team has jerseys, we don't put names on them.

Not being able to just wear a white/black jersey during a COVID season seems odd.

For this season, if a player is joining a team on a temporary basis, they are letting players wear dark/white. But, in a normal season, they are required to have matching jersey with name & number. Everyone is evaluated when they join the league to make sure they are appropriate for the skill level they are attempting to play at. Obviously you can still wear any jersey, no matter if it has your last name or another last name on it, but I think it helps cut down on random ringers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ahh alright that makes sense.

Skill evaluations to avoid ringers? That seems super nice :v:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ahh alright that makes sense.

Skill evaluations to avoid ringers? That seems super nice :v:

It's a good concept but it really depends on who is there for the evaluation. The guys who run the league aren't exactly completely impartial. The good news, though, is that captains of other teams are invited to watch and can give input on where they think so-and-so should play.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I played in a league like that and it was definitely better than the league I've played in that doesn't do that. There was still pretty decent skill differential between the divisions but no former rep players rolling people who just learned to skate.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Technically my league does an evaluation skate as well. They do 4 skates at the beginning of the winter season. All captains from all levels are asked to show up and evaluate players based on what they see. This builds the free agent pool for teams to draft new skaters. Skills and drills plus a short scrimmage. Its mostly for people joining the league for the first time. Its not like people are ever reevaluated or anything like that. Lower skilled teams will always rate people way above their skill level because they dont want those players anywhere near their teams and they'll protest if a team tries to pick them up. We've gotten stuck with some lesser skilled players because of this who struggled to keep up with the pace of the game.

After the skates, they do a draft and pull out the spreadsheet of players and their evaluations ratings. All the captains who want to participate are there and people are vocal if someone in Div4 tries to pickup a div2 player for instance.

But then you can pretty much invite someone from outside the league to play on your team and reserve them, they can still do the eval skate but wont be part of the draft which bypasses the entire system ... so theres that.

Even with the evaluation, we still get ringers and pretty bad skill parity.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 23, 2020

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
When they ban non-professional or college level hockey in the country again, will there be a stick sale at pure hockey? I broke my stick in the last game we played in March and have been using my old stick in the few games they let us play this Fall, but I definitely want to invest in a new stick sometime soon, even if I’m suspecting that before the two week break is over for hockey in Massachusetts that they’ll say actually no, you can’t play hockey anymore.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

V for Vegans posted:

When they ban non-professional or college level hockey in the country again, will there be a stick sale at pure hockey? I broke my stick in the last game we played in March and have been using my old stick in the few games they let us play this Fall, but I definitely want to invest in a new stick sometime soon, even if I’m suspecting that before the two week break is over for hockey in Massachusetts that they’ll say actually no, you can’t play hockey anymore.

Yeah I'd probably wait for the two weeks to be up and we get the, actually hockey is cancelled until at least 2021 and then see what kind of sales happen. I live close by the Pure Hockey in Kingston and when hockey opened up they were telling me they had a stack of skates at the sharpening bench everyday, all day for a solid week plus so I'm sure they started ordering sticks and poo poo as if things were going to pick up sales-wise. If there is nothing happening until 2021 I'll bet they try to unload at least some stuff around Christmas with enticing deals.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
It was nice to get some games in before the shutdown at least

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

EvilTwig posted:

It was nice to get some games in before the shutdown at least

Apparently they’re blaming this on the fancy youth leagues who’s coaches refused to publish an official roster list so that if a kid played on one team that was told to quarantine due to a positive testing player, they would still be able to play on their other team. Youth hockey is super crazy these days with the politics and general scumbaggery of coaches and owners. Maybe it was always this bad and I just didn’t see it because I was too bad at the game to play on anything other than the town B team.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Word on the street is my rink has been secretly/hush hush rescheduling games due to additional positive tests with no mass communication. Lovely.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Money talks.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Word on the street is my rink has been secretly/hush hush rescheduling games due to additional positive tests with no mass communication. Lovely.

I was coming in here to ask about that very thing: anybody hearing about positives not being communicated through official channels? I know for a fact there have been a handful at our rink, but the rink is dead silent.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's going to be interesting to see what they don't do when Placer county moves back into the red from the current orange, which looks likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
are these people in your leagues or just people who play at the same rink? I dunno if I'd expect the rink to tell me if some guy who plays in a different league on a different night gets covid but if it's some guy who's on a team that you'll be playing against that's dicked up.

Verman posted:

Money talks.

also this. at every step businesses have an incentive to do as little as possible for covid safety. we just had a scandal here where some MPP had a private room at a restaurant with like 30 people and nobody wore masks or anything and now people are mad at the restaurant for not kicking them out. some small business that's probably on the edge of bankruptcy due to covid isn't going to lose out on a 30 person bill.