Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

Shield Lattice and a lot of sodium is all I use, even in endgame.

Half my max slot suit inventory is just this endless list of shield upgrades. :v:

Whenever I land on some horror world too hard for my basic suit to handle, I fill up the relevant upgrade and can walk around for half an eternity before my hazard protection starts draining again.

Hell, before I got the blueprint for the marine shelter, I stapled three additional underwater health bars to my suit. In theory, as long as I think of actually refilling all those UW-upgrades, I can basically stay underwater for half a planetary year or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
So I've probably played this for 10 hours, and absolutely love it.

But I think I have to stop. Because I'm just routinely getting gamestopping glitches and bugs (some literally crashing the game, which is the only time that has happened to me, on a PS4 Pro).

This isn't trying weird stuff. This is trying to land at the anomaly, and literally having the game get stuck with me somehow floating in space in my starship, unable to move, for over a minute, until I just turned the game off. poo poo like that happening once an hour or more.

Is this experience unusual? Because I love the game, but my patience has limits, and this stuff is basically making it realistically unplayable, as I just keep losing progress and time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mouko posted:

I've just come back to this game after a couple of years away from it.

It's just overwhelming now. It seems like it'll take tens of hours to achieve anything! :gonk:

I wanted to jump in and see some of the new stuff, like volcanoes, but instead I was running back to my basic ship every 2 minutes because I was running out of toxic protection. It just became frustrating.

You really flounder at the start but eventually you get your feet back underneath you and things get trivially easy. Now when I die it's usually because I grossly misjudged a plasma launcher shot.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Finally got the perfect freighter (soon as I grind all the slots).

Who needs a Venator when you have the Discovery One?

Can be found here. Thanks /r/NMSCoordinateExchange!

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Atrayonis posted:

Ah, the Prince Albert

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Atrayonis posted:

Check out the balls on THIS guy.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The save editor is safe to use right? I just want to unlock the orange panel engram for flavor and you can do it there, but I could theoretically cheat myself integer overflows of nanites and still play multiplayer?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
gently caress it, i just installed a mod to give me infinite hyperdrive jump distance.

I've pretty much seen everything this game has to offer so spending x hours "experiencing" the journey to the core is not worth it.

Funnily enough, even with the mod, the galaxy map is going to take a solid half an hour of scrolling to get to the loving center. I know there's the Artemis mission that uses a portal to get you there, but i was curious about what the actual travel would be like and it's just ridiculous.

If it was a universe with any actual depth and variety i could maybe understand the appeal in slowly making your way across it, but without this mod it'd be 300+ jumps to solar systems with slightly different colours and a new mix of the same materials.

Was this stretch pretty much the only thing to do in the base game? If so i can understand why it was heavily disliked..

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Save yourself some scrolling- use the portal coordinates of all "sun rising over water" and you'll be 5kly from the center

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Save yourself some scrolling- use the portal coordinates of all "sun rising over water" and you'll be 5kly from the center

I just did my own cheatcode, which works even on PS4: I portal-beamed myself from the outer edge of Budullangr to the core, then jumped through.

Now, in every galaxy from here on out, I'll be right next to the core. The only thing slowing me down if I want to continue this wild ride is how fast I can repair all my poo poo. :v:

Protip: Keep a cheap ship and (if possible) a cheap multitool handy with only the bare necessities installed (like indium drive for the galactic jump, for example). This minimizes repair times quite handily.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Libluini posted:

I just did my own cheatcode, which works even on PS4: I portal-beamed myself from the outer edge of Budullangr to the core, then jumped through.

Now, in every galaxy from here on out, I'll be right next to the core. The only thing slowing me down if I want to continue this wild ride is how fast I can repair all my poo poo. :v:

Protip: Keep a cheap ship and (if possible) a cheap multitool handy with only the bare necessities installed (like indium drive for the galactic jump, for example). This minimizes repair times quite handily.

Each freighter wreck you explore will give you 3 repair kits which skip all the materials required to fix your poo poo. Keep a few stacks of those on hand?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

Living ships don't use "launch thrusters", so the game doesn't know to break them and they can be summoned immediately after swapping universes. Too, summoning a different ship and flying away magically fixes the launch thrusters on the ship you galaxy swapped with (at least, if it's in the tech tab)

e: Living ships are also great since they use chromatic ore instead of warp cores, so you don't have to blow a full warp core to "fully charge" the hyperdrive every universe

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Each freighter wreck you explore will give you 3 repair kits which skip all the materials required to fix your poo poo. Keep a few stacks of those on hand?

That's also a good idea! My galactic jump ate up all 7 repair kits I had. I guess next time I have to make sure to carry at least 50, or maybe reorganize my inventories a bit before jumping. :v:

Edit:

Also, I have to correct myself. Apparently, making a manual galactic jump from a system close to the core doesn't actually send you to near the new galactic core. That portal jump was still awesome, though!

Or I did something wrong. Maybe it only works if you galaxy jump straight from the portal-system you arrive in?

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 25, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In case you're wondering, Budullangr (the galaxy I ended up in after my Artemis-storyline), leads to galaxy 8: Kikolgallr.

Sadly, only a normal galaxy with no changes to the RNG seeding.

Of course, nothing is exactly stopping me from locating another portal and doing the same thing again. Or if I find out how I bollocksed up my short-cut, I can beam back to my base right next to the core of galaxy 7 and try again.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Libluini posted:

That's also a good idea! My galactic jump ate up all 7 repair kits I had. I guess next time I have to make sure to carry at least 50, or maybe reorganize my inventories a bit before jumping. :v:

Edit:

Also, I have to correct myself. Apparently, making a manual galactic jump from a system close to the core doesn't actually send you to near the new galactic core. That portal jump was still awesome, though!

Or I did something wrong. Maybe it only works if you galaxy jump straight from the portal-system you arrive in?

There's three tricks that I'm aware of for getting to the core fast:

1. Portal coordinates are galaxy location coordinates, so any portal coordinates for a near-core area in galaxy 1 will be near-core in galaxy N.

2. Black holes set a "pop out" location for that gameplay session, so taking a black hole that pops you out near the core will cause all subsequent galaxy transitions to also pop you out near that new galaxy's core until you quit the game.

3. Going to the anomaly in a near-core system in galaxy X, then teleporting to any base (NOT space station) in galaxy Y, using "return to anomaly" and leaving via the front door will leave you in a near-core system in galaxy Y

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

There's three tricks that I'm aware of for getting to the core fast:

1. Portal coordinates are galaxy location coordinates, so any portal coordinates for a near-core area in galaxy 1 will be near-core in galaxy N.

2. Black holes set a "pop out" location for that gameplay session, so taking a black hole that pops you out near the core will cause all subsequent galaxy transitions to also pop you out near that new galaxy's core until you quit the game.

3. Going to the anomaly in a near-core system in galaxy X, then teleporting to any base (NOT space station) in galaxy Y, using "return to anomaly" and leaving via the front door will leave you in a near-core system in galaxy Y

Hey, thanks! That also neatly explains why my attempt to jump straight from the core of 7 to the core of 8 failed. :v:

But that trick with the portal coordinates seems to be the least involved for my lazy rear end, considering I already built two bases next to portals in both Euclid and Budullangr, and I have core coordinates for both galaxies. I'll be testing this next in galaxy 8, if it works I should be in galaxy 9 soon!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Just bear in mind that if you mean trick 1, that requires finding a new portal in each galaxy. You can reuse coordinates, but a portal in Euclid will always drop you in Euclid. If you do have a new trick similar to the black hole one where portal usage can "stick", let me know 'cos I'd be very curious, but IME the black hole one is the fastest (especially with a living ship)-- you

1. black hole once near the core of any galaxy
2. (if you didn't do 1 in it) get to the near-core of whatever galaxy you want to start jumping from via the other tricks
3. equip your poo poo multitool and make sure your ship has the tech you care about in the tech slot
4. make your one hop to the gateway system, drop your 5 chromatic ore top-off fee in your ship, and center-hop
5. whistle while the dramatic music swells
6. summon your living ship
7. repeat steps 4-6 as much as you want without bothering or needing to repair anything, with the longest time sink being galaxy loading screens

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 25, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Elotana posted:

The save editor is safe to use right? I just want to unlock the orange panel engram for flavor and you can do it there, but I could theoretically cheat myself integer overflows of nanites and still play multiplayer?

In the sense that it's a 3rd party app and might corrupt your save file or let you cheat in values that crash/break the game, it's possibly unsafe and you should back up your saves. I think the editor I used a while back did this automatically as well but I like to back up a fresh save before I go fiddling.

In the sense that it's a game in 2020 that has multiplayer, you're safe. They're not into the whole ironfisted games-as-a-service thing where coloring outside the lines invites retribution. Mod it up, cheat your way past unfun things, etc.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Just bear in mind that if you mean trick 1, that requires finding a new portal in each galaxy. You can reuse coordinates, but a portal in Euclid will always drop you in Euclid. If you do have a new trick similar to the black hole one where portal usage can "stick", let me know 'cos I'd be very curious, but IME the black hole one is the fastest (especially with a living ship)-- you

1. black hole once near the core of any galaxy
2. (if you didn't do 1 in it) get to the near-core of whatever galaxy you want to start jumping from via the other tricks
3. equip your poo poo multitool and make sure your ship has the tech you care about in the tech slot
4. make your one hop to the gateway system, drop your 5 chromatic ore top-off fee in your ship, and center-hop
5. whistle while the dramatic music swells
6. summon your living ship
7. repeat steps 4-6 as much as you want without bothering or needing to repair anything, with the longest time sink being galaxy loading screens

Oh no, to be clear, that's exactly what I meant. I don't know any special portal-trick, it's just that after the Starbirth-quest really rubbed it in that portals are intra-universal and not inter-universal, I made sure to construct a network of bases to connect galaxies I've visited together. I just didn't know that I don't even have to depend on someone having core-coordinates for every single galaxy I come through. If I can re-use the coordinates I already have, that'll speed things up quite a bit!

What I have done so far:

Essentially, I have a portal base in Euclid to fast-travel to any Euclid-coordinate. Then I built another portal base in Budullangr (that's how I jumped over 500k light years to the center of galaxy 7) and then a third one next to the galactic center of Budullangr.

Now in galaxy 8 I'll do essentially the same:

a) Locate a portal here in the outskirts, and build a base next to it.
b) Transwarp via portal close to the core, and build a base next to the center.
c) Galactic jump, go to a)

I'm planning to slowly, but methodically work my way through the game until I reach galaxy 256 or lose interest.

And sure, using the black hole trick would probably be a lot faster, but then I wouldn't be able to make this stupid transuniversal network of bases I have in mind. :v:

By the way, you already helped me out immensely by pointing out how good the living ship is for galaxy jumps, because this meant I could free up a slot by scrapping my shittiest ship. Just in case I see a fancy ship I absolutely want or something.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 25, 2020

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I love finding out how much i give the devs credit and avoid loving massive loop holes in the game. I always ran from sents when i blew open the door because of course they'd follow me inside and kill me, oh what's this they instead can't come outside and you could actually farm them from the doorway? If you can't code loving combat you choose other ways of ensuring players avoid the cheese dear god--have a faction rep hit if you drag sentinels into buildings and stations, have a damaged state for your freighter and base if you run from sents into them. Create a combat unit specifically designed to hunt players inside abandoned buildings. Why do you have consequences if they're so easy to avoid?

I literally created hours of extra game play by assuming that the devs weren't lazy as gently caress haha.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

And how exactly do you find a portal?

I didn't leave a marker or anything at the plot related ones and the one I'm sent to as part of this final quest line won'tet me input anything manually.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arghy posted:

I love finding out how much i give the devs credit and avoid loving massive loop holes in the game. I always ran from sents when i blew open the door because of course they'd follow me inside and kill me, oh what's this they instead can't come outside and you could actually farm them from the doorway? If you can't code loving combat you choose other ways of ensuring players avoid the cheese dear god--have a faction rep hit if you drag sentinels into buildings and stations, have a damaged state for your freighter and base if you run from sents into them. Create a combat unit specifically designed to hunt players inside abandoned buildings. Why do you have consequences if they're so easy to avoid?

I literally created hours of extra game play by assuming that the devs weren't lazy as gently caress haha.

I'm assuming you meant to say "can't come inside" there, buddy. :v:

Though be aware that the dog sentinels can still shoot you with their beams if you're too close to the door and on planets with adjectives like "malicious" the counter sometimes just resets instead of stopping. On those planets, you either have to go outside and fight them, or you'll be inside forever.

Oh, and the huge sentinel walkers can sometimes glitch into a building and give you swift kick in the nuts if you're unlucky.

That said, I have to disagree with you here: I don't want to fight the sentinels, but since I can't just hack a door open (except literally, ha ha) to avoid angering them, being able to wait them out inside the building was a lifesaver during my "grind through factories to get blueprint"-phase of the game. If the sentinels had been able to just follow me inside to murder me, I'd have given up on the game and broken my game disc in half to release the immense frustration.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Kin posted:

I didn't leave a marker or anything at the plot related ones and the one I'm sent to as part of this final quest line won'tet me input anything manually.

You need to find a monolith, which you can find from ancient ruin maps from the space station map seller, then after you solve the initial riddle on the monolith if you talk to it again you can give it the species appropriate gift and it will send you to a portal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kin posted:

You need to do this:

-Exchange navdata for alien site charts
-Use them until you get a large monolith (the smaller monoliths don't give you portals)
-Solve the riddle, ask the large monolith again
-You get a portal.
-Go to portal, have lots of stuff at hand to recharge all the portal glyphs
-(Optional) build a base near the portal, connect to your network with a teleporter
-Use the portal, input coordinates

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Libluini posted:

I'm assuming you meant to say "can't come inside" there, buddy. :v:

Though be aware that the dog sentinels can still shoot you with their beams if you're too close to the door and on planets with adjectives like "malicious" the counter sometimes just resets instead of stopping. On those planets, you either have to go outside and fight them, or you'll be inside forever.

Oh, and the huge sentinel walkers can sometimes glitch into a building and give you swift kick in the nuts if you're unlucky.

That said, I have to disagree with you here: I don't want to fight the sentinels, but since I can't just hack a door open (except literally, ha ha) to avoid angering them, being able to wait them out inside the building was a lifesaver during my "grind through factories to get blueprint"-phase of the game. If the sentinels had been able to just follow me inside to murder me, I'd have given up on the game and broken my game disc in half to release the immense frustration.

I always just blew the door then melee attack jump jetted away towards a previous point of interest until the timer went away. You can summon your ship from the doorway so worst case you jump from the doorway to your ship then land somewhere else to wait them out. It's really annoying to find out that all the effort i put in towards fleeing was wasted because i could have just waltzed into the building then left without any repercussions. My pilgrim with 3 S class engine upgrades can also handily outrun sents and you can summon that very easily from the doorway then just drive away for a minute.

There is so many ways to make it fun and challenging to deal with sentinels if you wanted to and you'd add so much value to the game. Landing your ship in the distance then having a running battle to return to your ship while taking ground fire during take off would be loving amazing. Watching NPC's either lock their doors or get super pissed at you for dragging sentinels to them would also be amazing. My capital ship has loving turrets and a ton of modules why not use it for battle with damage being transferred to my modules that i had to repair. I could hire NPC fighter pilots and have an epic fleet battle if i wanted to with the reward being the sentinel capital ship emergency warping away and spawning a derelict mission. You could balance it with the cost of repairs to your fleet being pretty massive.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Libluini posted:

You need to do this:

-Exchange navdata for alien site charts
-Use them until you get a large monolith (the smaller monoliths don't give you portals)
-Solve the riddle, ask the large monolith again
-You get a portal.
-Go to portal, have lots of stuff at hand to recharge all the portal glyphs
-(Optional) build a base near the portal, connect to your network with a teleporter
-Use the portal, input coordinates

Hmm, I found something similar online but must have ended up at small monoliths because they either didn't give me anything or just gave me a new item or something. I just gave up and used the last plot portal to jump to the center and reset the universe (sort of?).

I'm glad I never bought this at launch because if that's all that was waiting for you at the end of your 30+ hour journey to the center, I'd be pretty soured too.

It was fun to seamlessly fly from space to planet but everything else about this game was just meh.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Seriously, am I alone in this being buggy and glitchy?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I now have 4.2 billion units, which is either the cap or close enough to it that there's no point in using the glass menagerie again. At least not until I find something worth blowing a few hundred million on.

Also, I strongly recommend creating a mini base on at a portal in every universe you visit. This will allow you to go literally anywhere in that universe, and since you can bounce between universes with base portals it dramatically expands the number of places you can potentially visit. Granted most of those places will be in Euclid anyway, but there's plenty of addresses for neat stuff in other universes posted online too.

SlyFrog posted:

It absolutely is a tremendously buggy and glitchy game. Less so than in the beginning but still pretty crash-happy (at least on PS4) with all sorts of weird bugs you can run into. The people who stick with it mostly forgive the devs since there isn't much else on the market quite like it and they've been continuously providing free updates for four years which is practically unheard of.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 26, 2020

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SlyFrog posted:

I mean, depends on how buggy and glitchy is "unplayable to you? I'm on PS4, I've had a non-zero number of crashes, some of them were irritating, none of them were "I literally cannot continue to play this buggy mess of a game", your mileage may vary tremendously.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just did the underwater missions for the first time. What a complete waste of time. Extremely repetitive. Navigation text spoils that the targets you're looking for are dead before you find them. Rewards you with an Anomaly helmet you can't change the color of. Just pure crap.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Not being able to change the color of the diving helmet, and the color it does have clashing with basically anything else you could wear, was an awful design decision.

At least water worlds look neat and the Nautilon lets you tool around in them without having to constantly pump oxygen into your suit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You want that egg tonight, Thundarr? You have a few days of various timers for the quest to do once you get it.

Found my NMS Friend code. ZK8S-Z2MA-HEHQ2

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 26, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh hey I didn't even know this game did friend codes. Sure thing, thanks!

My code is XGYV-B1R2-DAXNW

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 26, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't know if you can see the in-game chat at all. I see you in group. I went into the Space Anomaly assuming it would allow us both to be in the same instance of it.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah I figured that out just in time for you to leave it as I was flying in. I had visited your freighter (the color scheme I wanted AND a giant space spoiler :orks:) but the inside was a void and tried to eat me. Thanks again!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I wonder what you saw. I used a save editor and a seed to change the look to it.

Star Destroyer look. White with Orange-Red accents.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2020

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zesty posted:

I wonder what you saw. I used a seed to change the look to it.

Star Destroyer look. White with Orange-Red accents.

Yep that's what I saw from the outside. When I went inside nothing loaded other then the bridge though. Luckily I had enough jetpack power to halt my fall into space. I guess the PS4 version isn't a fan of PC modded freighter interiors.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sometimes you see something that makes you forget for a moment how repetitive the RNG is.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Same feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

I mean, depends on how buggy and glitchy is "unplayable to you? I'm on PS4, I've had a non-zero number of crashes, some of them were irritating, none of them were "I literally cannot continue to play this buggy mess of a game", your mileage may vary tremendously.

Well, lately it has meant at least once an hour the game will literally end up having me clip into a base/freighter or something similar and not let me out, making me have to restart and lose the progress, get stuck warping through a portal making me restart and lose the progress, or just blue screen me. These things happened four times last night.

Is that pretty much the norm?