Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Rutibex posted:

a PhD doesnt mean you are generally smart, it means you are very good at one extremely specific thing

Sometimes you aren't even good at that one thing!

Source: I have a PhD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Again, Jordan Peterson’s actual PhD is in Treating Addiction without Destroying your Life. It doesn’t matter how specific your field of expertise is, if you’re a dumb enough general fucker, you’ll find a way to gently caress it up.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
I saw Jordan Peterson the other day. He was yelling and kicking at a buncha dogs. Granted they were a bit close and not acting friendly (they wanted the raw beef he was carrying) but still kind of a dick move.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH JORTAN PETERSON

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH JORTAN PETERSON

I imagine Jorps being the most subby bottom to ever bottom, it's not like he projects himself as a manly man.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I can't imagine loving Jorp it'd be like doing it with a cross between Kermit and Mr Magoo

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

It's also just emphatically bullshit because countless extremely powerful people that effect enormous amounts of people in this country have varying degrees of disastrousness in their lives including adultery, alcoholism, pedophilia, spousal abuse, child abuse, etc. etc. so to claim that the average person should be in utter control of their life and mental faculties before they go out to campaign for change when the people in charge of this country can't help but being deranged rapists is the most transparent "The standards for poor people are much stricter than the standards for rich people." garbage on earth.

The worst kind of a lie is one that has some truth embedded within it, because it becomes difficult to disentangle them, and the people telling those lies will fight that disentanglement with every bit of dishonesty they can muster.

The thing is, there is definitive proof that taking daily time and effort on self-care has a huge impact on people's feelings of worth. Spending that time - however much, on whatever it addresses, from doing the dishes to cleaning the toilet or whatever - is a practical and symbolic good. That kind of mess is often the first sign of depression, and addressing it is a pivotal step in recovery.

Should anyone's space be utterly perfect? Nah, nobody who knows human nature would ever say that in good faith. He says it in bad faith.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I saw Jordan Blezinski Peterson at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.
He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.
When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I regret to inform you all that Jordan Peterson has perished, the service will be at eleven AM at the local Arbys.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

The_Continental posted:

While taking his "clean your room" stuff to literally mean "clean your room" is hilarious; the deeper connotations are that you should focus on yourself before critiquing others. I find that this is generally a good idea. HOWEVER,

The problem is that when you follow this train of thought the endgame is basically "Don't worry about anyone else, no matter how good or bad their ideas are, until you've reached some arbitrary indicator of personal success". This is of course ridiculous, and as we've seen, JP and his supporters will continually move goalposts, rendering the critique irrelevant. Its especially ridiculous when you examine the inherently exploitative nature of western capitalism. This idea summarily dismisses the agency of anyone who hasn't achieved a certain vague notion of self-actualization (poor, mentally-ill, minorities, women).

He specifically uses the "clean your room" analogy to denigrate people protesting increasingly dire economic conditions under western capitalism:

So while at face value this seems to be an easily digested slogan, what its actually doing is calling anyone who hasn't succeeded under the current system a lazy slob, a tiny aquatic insect that deserves the muddy scraps their forced to feed upon.

Also, as Zizek put it in their debate: how about telling a citizen of North Korea to "first put their OWN house in order, and so on".

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

I regret to inform you all that Jordan Peterson has perished, the service will be at eleven AM at the local Arbys.

Fake news because Arbys serve their meat with evil carbs and, *visible revulsion* , vegetables therefore not suitable for Dr Peterson's daughters needs.

I mean, only if they let me cook the raw steak I carry with me on their grill, I guess.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Page 24 Reminder: I'd still haev sex with Jorp daughter while Jorp asks me if I love her from his WH40k Golden Throne using a text to speech.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
jordan dickson

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

thathonkey posted:

jordan dickson

Jordan.....

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

some dudes out there do need to clean their room and if its this dude who gets them to do it as opposed to their parents, then so be it

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
vvv

xtal fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 26, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The rise of fascism in tyool 2020 is a small price to pay for manchildren finally cleaning their rooms

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordan Peterson tried to shut down Chuck E Cheese

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jordan Peterson tried to shut down Chuck E Cheese

So that plus the room cleaning thing are two good things he's done. In conclusion: Jordan Peterson - a land of contrasts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jordan Blaaaaabl Peterson once went got all hopped up on apple juice and dissapeared from his home, reported missing and presumed dead. He was found 15 days later naked in an Aldi's, demanding more vitamins and minerals. He has been restrained and is back on the all-meat diet that keeps him controlled and docile.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Jordan Peterson was responsible for WWI

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Jordan Peterson once called an albanian man a slur so vile and reprehensible the poor victim was struck blind and mute on the spot.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

lt_kennedy posted:

Seeing more gays and trans folk on the forums warms this old enbygoons heart

I wouldn't feel too good. I'm trans myself but the main reason I've been lurking for years is that plenty of trans posters get poo poo on and driven off the forums completely

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

lt_kennedy posted:

Seeing more gays and trans folk on the forums warms this old enbygoons heart :kimchi:

Hi, fellow enby friend! I've been coming to terms that I'm also non-binary, it's good to see another one here.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are any zizek books worth reading? I might pick one up after all of yous have been going on about him

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Who What Now posted:

Hi, fellow enby friend! I've been coming to terms that I'm also non-binary, it's good to see another one here.

I'm also NB. (NB can be a subset of trans). :)

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Bape Culture posted:

Are any zizek books worth reading? I might pick one up after all of yous have been going on about him

The one you should probably pick up is The Sublime Object of Ideology, but be warned: it's pretty incomprehensible. It has funny jokes in it though.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Reading Zizek has a distinctive advantage of not hearing his loving voice.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Reading Zizek has a distinctive advantage of not hearing his loving voice.

how can you read Zizek without conjuring his voice inshide your shubconshous and sho on and sho on

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

https://youtu.be/j28DtHJCamA

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Excelzior posted:

how can you read Zizek without conjuring his voice inshide your shubconshous and sho on and sho on

Does he record his own audiobooks? god I hope so

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

The_Continental posted:

JP supporters all sound EXACTLY like the PUAs of the early 2000s, has anyone noticed that? Its all the boys who got picked last putting on striped shirts and lecturing you about "game" like its some big secret.

Yep. Same with "radical centrist"/"intellectual dark web". Just old poo poo that's been re-constituted and given a new label. Around the turn of the millennium they were called "South Park Republicans". It was a comfortably edgy and seductive above-it-all worldview that I almost got sucked into around the time I joined this site. Essentially it boils down to: "conservatives are bad, but leftists are even worse, and people who take the effort to protest and get tear-gassed over things like the WTO or the Iraq invasion are just cause-of-the-week lifestylists and also they're shrill and bitter and at the end of the day they're really just doing it to lash out at their parents".

In 2040 they'll have a new term like "Lieberman Liberals" or something equally cringy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dick Jones posted:

Yep. Same with "radical centrist"/"intellectual dark web". Just old poo poo that's been re-constituted and given a new label. Around the turn of the millennium they were called "South Park Republicans". It was a comfortably edgy and seductive above-it-all worldview that I almost got sucked into around the time I joined this site. Essentially it boils down to: "conservatives are bad, but leftists are even worse, and people who take the effort to protest and get tear-gassed over things like the WTO or the Iraq invasion are just cause-of-the-week lifestylists and also they're shrill and bitter and at the end of the day they're really just doing it to lash out at their parents".

In 2040 they'll have a new term like "Lieberman Liberals" or something equally cringy.

Comfortable white boys will always be drawn to ways of thinking that allow them to feel smart, take credit for everything good about their lives, and blame others for each frustration. I guess something to be happy about is that comfortable white girls are much less willing to date them.

As the middle class falls away and more and more white kids are exposed to debt slavery and environmental collapse, we might see this attitude continue to be replaced by dead-eyed school-shooter manifestoes and nazi marches.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Who What Now posted:

Oh hell yeah me too (it's me, I just name changed from "Miss" because, duh)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

edit: nm this thread moved fast.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
They say JPete comes at you pretty fast...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Just like telling jokes I am completely incapable of imagining Jorrrrrrrp running or even walking briskly for that matter.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I have a PhD and I'm the smartest person in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

feelix posted:

I have a PhD and I'm the smartest person in the world

Admitting I know nothing, I am the smartest man in the world