Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
bhutan bump from my trip there a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god drat bump

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

bhutan bump from my trip there a few years ago.

fuckin' HOW though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like how

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't get it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't get it

you need a bhutanese passpooorrrt

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

fuckin' HOW though

they have ridiculous visa fees but everything else is so cheap that a 7 day trip was about $2800/person for the stay (just looked that up as it was 2017) including all hotels, meals, travel inside the country with a government required guide and driver.

it’s a lot rougher than visiting wester Europe but the price wasn’t that different from europe trips I have taken.

that doesn’t include airfare. also the price goes down a little as you add more people when you can share rooms and have the same guide/driver and we had 4 people (2 couples) in our group.

here are some photos from a trip to antarctica.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

spankmeister posted:

you need a bhutanese passpooorrrt

nah you just have to pay $200-$250 per day for a visa, depending on the season.

we went in September and it was $220/day for the visa and $180 a day for literally everything else.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
super interesting

as a person who's gradually settled on the 'spend money on experiences, not possessions' take, this is super interesting to me.

Of course that's all loving gone now and Americans are the lepers of the world, but it's good to hear the stories.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

super interesting

as a person who's gradually settled on the 'spend money on experiences, not possessions' take, this is super interesting to me.

Of course that's all loving gone now and Americans are the lepers of the world, but it's good to hear the stories.

if you want to go to Bhutan then you can book directly with the government (they have their hands in everything no matter what) from mybhutan.com.

for the long away future when you can travel.

it’s really amazing and you should all go see it before china totally invades it like tibet.

you can tell the neighbor countries are trying to get the locals on their side for when the chinese invasion comes, too. every new road we drove on had big signs saying “generously donated by your friends in india” or equivalent. the ambulance that came to pick up a guy who took a fall on a hike was donated by japan, iirc.

if you want to go into the more remote parts you need at least a week because you will spend all day driving. we drove out to a small city in the countey (punakha) from the largest city (paro) and it was a 4 hour drive to make it 75 miles over dirt roads, but there is no other way to get there.

google is optimistic here.

and that’s a tiny part of the country, too.

the chinese and indan armies keep having conflicts in the north half where there are no roads on that map too. it’s mostly national parks according to bhutan but china keeps trying to move in.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
and standard undeveloped country travel tips apply.

get vaccinated with whatever the cdc and who say you should to travel there

the locals are mostly vegetarian and you will mostly eat turnips and turnip greens. i think 95% of the food we ate involved steamed or boiled turnip greens. they do have chicken for the tourists at some places but it’s the most gristly bone filled chicken I have ever eaten, like floor sweepings from a chicken slaughterhouse in india.

the whole country has 800,000 people, the capital has 115,000 people. the largest contributor to their GDP is the electricity from a hydroelectric dam that they sell to india. india also built the dam. it’s really an agrarian subsistence farming economy. the GDP is roughly $3,000 USD per capita. tourism is the second largest contributor to their GDP.

all in, you’ll pay the about 90% amount you would pay on a trip to Paris with a 3-star hotel and modest daily food budget, but you are going to one of the poorest countries in the world so literally nowhere in the US is comparable in terms of remoteness or industrial development so be prepared to go with the flow and not contact anyone for most of the trip.

i was able to buy a local sim card in the city but it was in my tour guide’s name (you could not buy one as a foreigner when i was there) and some tour guides don’t want to have a bunch of sims in their name, so i didn’t ask but he offered so i got one, hopefully he made some good money marking it up to sell to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

that said, the country is basically untouched Himalayan mountains with some tiered subsistence farms, and rivers full of clear snowmelt. you feel like you are traveling back in time a thousand years. it’s completely worth it.

i have the names of the tour company we used pm me if you want it, i never felt anything other than safe in the time we were there, the govt required local guide and driver really nice and very knowledgeable, it’s one of my top 2 amazing trips along with the antarctic peninsula and i have been at least once to 6 of the 7 continents

some day I will finally catch em all and go to the marsupial island, but not this year.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bump

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

yet another incident. it's time to bump

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm on call this weekend/week and I got a call while I was asleep this morning (well, technically, yesterday, but didn't think to post it now) because a dude forgot his loving admin password to log into his firewall

it's now 3am on Sunday morning and I am BLASTED off strong ale

between this and my personal identity issues I'm really just praying for a nuclear bomb to land on me so I don't have to deal with any more of reality kthx

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
havin a real wander-off-into-the-woods-never-to-be-seen-again kinda day today

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

nah you just have to pay $200-$250 per day for a visa, depending on the season.

we went in September and it was $220/day for the visa and $180 a day for literally everything else.

how soon we forget the memes of old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xALZs5mxPdU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Thank you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love this so much. it's another always-watch like tlo roll call

i want to make "dzeng" into my notification sound

aol keyword party
Sep 27, 2005

you can find a pleasure of shooting prolific amounts of pictures,
bumping. boss said i should take a half day this week so maybe i'll do it tomorrow and gently caress off into forest

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lmao

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i had never seen that video so thank you for making me aware of it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i had never seen that video so thank you for making me aware of it

Have you seen cyeramic noives?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what a gued knaoife!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Have you seen cyeramic noives?

lol yes i do remember that one - some non native english speaker doing it phonetically or something.

is this what it sounds like to italians when the rest of the world sings opera phonetically??

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

lol yes i do remember that one - some non native english speaker doing it phonetically or something.

is this what it sounds like to italians when the rest of the world sings opera phonetically??

No because nobody in the world can actually hear the words being sung in opera, not even the Italians.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think the funnier thing is the actual script. Sometimes you have to cut fruit for a salad. Why yes! That's true! I can relate to these noives!

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

and standard undeveloped country travel tips apply.

get vaccinated with whatever the cdc and who say you should to travel there

the locals are mostly vegetarian and you will mostly eat turnips and turnip greens. i think 95% of the food we ate involved steamed or boiled turnip greens. they do have chicken for the tourists at some places but it’s the most gristly bone filled chicken I have ever eaten, like floor sweepings from a chicken slaughterhouse in india.

the whole country has 800,000 people, the capital has 115,000 people. the largest contributor to their GDP is the electricity from a hydroelectric dam that they sell to india. india also built the dam. it’s really an agrarian subsistence farming economy. the GDP is roughly $3,000 USD per capita. tourism is the second largest contributor to their GDP.

all in, you’ll pay the about 90% amount you would pay on a trip to Paris with a 3-star hotel and modest daily food budget, but you are going to one of the poorest countries in the world so literally nowhere in the US is comparable in terms of remoteness or industrial development so be prepared to go with the flow and not contact anyone for most of the trip.

i was able to buy a local sim card in the city but it was in my tour guide’s name (you could not buy one as a foreigner when i was there) and some tour guides don’t want to have a bunch of sims in their name, so i didn’t ask but he offered so i got one, hopefully he made some good money marking it up to sell to me 🤷🏼‍♂️

that said, the country is basically untouched Himalayan mountains with some tiered subsistence farms, and rivers full of clear snowmelt. you feel like you are traveling back in time a thousand years. it’s completely worth it.

i have the names of the tour company we used pm me if you want it, i never felt anything other than safe in the time we were there, the govt required local guide and driver really nice and very knowledgeable, it’s one of my top 2 amazing trips along with the antarctic peninsula and i have been at least once to 6 of the 7 continents

some day I will finally catch em all and go to the marsupial island, but not this year.

ok cool now tell us about the dicks https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3945787

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

oh yeah its “good luck” so they draw dicks on EVERYTHING

like, zoom in on the photos of the houses and the shops and they’re all “junior high school bathroom” level of dick-covered

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ok you've convinced me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
everything from the grandest palace to a subsistence farmer must have a dick drawn on their house. most have more than 1. way more.

zoom, enhance

dick with a bow around it like a present 🎁

Big Witch Hat
Oct 28, 2020
you ever hear about the tech industry

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

holy hell :laffo:

spooky ghost
Feb 11, 2020

Lipstick Apathy

Oh, India... I miss it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fortunately for you, it still exists

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

the current audio sounds like rear end :(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i took the train from seattle to glacier NP in montana and it was, well

it was cold and wet and gray almost the entire time but when the sun poked out it was incredible. spent a few nights camping on BLM land and didn't see other people for days

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

America is such a gorgeous country. I have experienced parts of it and would like to see more.

I recommend anyone to experience it if you can, it might not be possible in the future.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

it was cold and wet and gray almost the entire time but when the sun poked out it was incredible. spent a few nights camping on BLM land and didn't see other people for days

tbh now is probably the best time to visit. i went to glacier in july, and they had half the park closed off because the reservation to the east cut access. there were so many people, it felt like i was in disneyland

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

spankmeister posted:

America is such a gorgeous country. I have experienced parts of it and would like to see more.

I recommend anyone to experience it if you can, it might not be possible in the future.

i can't recommend paradise valley enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I've been wanting to go there soon but the train never occured to me, looks awesome