Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Forcing some US states to actually maintain their freeways would be pretty great regardless of the self-driving cars aspect of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What good does embedding poo poo in the roadway do, besides helping maintain lane position?

It doesn’t solve any of the hardest problems with teaching computers to drive, all of which involve reacting to unexpected hazards. That fridge that fell off a truck doesn’t have an RFID tag in it to warn the computer that it’s a hazard. That driver that’s totally going to cut you off and any human can feel it coming doesn’t literally telegraph his intentions to the computer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ this is why true self-driving cars are going to be a long time coming. Like yeah, cool, a computer has a much faster reaction time but the sheer mind boggling array of different scenarios that can crop up is incredible.

As I'm sure I've rambled about in other threads before I can only really see it happening on motorway systems that are fully sensored and camera'd up where that information is being fed to each and every single self driving car on it constantly to assist their own sensor setups. Relying on the car itself to make every decision makes sense at present where you don't have these systems in place yet but you're asking an awful lot of them and they evidently gently caress up and kill people. The roads specifically built for them allows you full control over everything and you'd end up with a system where self driving cars could bunch up together within inches of each other to reduce traffic, possibly even on their own segregated roadways for additional safety. ..........but at this point you've just invented an overground train system with expensive personal carriages and a lot more points of failure.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Pave the earth

quote:

Section 1: the future of the earth

1.1 Why pave the earth?

There are several advantages of a paved Earth over a non-paved Earth, the only really important one is the ease of driving though. Today roads are narrow, you have to turn, and most governments frown at ground travel over Mach1. With endless blacktop in every direction, there will be no restriction to your movement, and rocket powered hypercars will whiz in all directions. We will be able to amuse ourselves with endless driving at incredible speeds while drinking beer and eating wonderfully juicy burgers.

http://msherman.tripod.com/pave_faq.html

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Zorak of Michigan posted:

One of the interesting bits of the boot Digital Apollo was that the guys building the lunar module guidance system developed it to the point where it could auto-land under most circumstances, and the pilots would just be bystanders until/unless something went wrong. The astronaut with the most knowledge of the system - I think it was Dave Scott - told them no astronaut would ever use it. It wasn't that they didn't trust it, it was that if the ostensible pilot wasn't already flying when something went wrong, the time it took him to orient and react might be longer than they had.

He understood that back in 1970 and yet the auto industry can't accept it.

And that wasn't a bad decision, considering the landing site fuckup on 11.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ this is why true self-driving cars are going to be a long time coming. Like yeah, cool, a computer has a much faster reaction time but the sheer mind boggling array of different scenarios that can crop up is incredible.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ColdbloodedCredulousTriangleArsonNoSexy

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Another under-considered problem is that, okay, let's say you have a great machine-learning setup and a car learns how to drive itself given a wide amount of training data. It's not always immediately clear, depending on the sorts of algorithms used, exactly why it's doing anything it's doing. This is true of machine-learning in general. We have an unhealthy tendency to anthropomorphize any sufficiently advanced "AI" system and imagine that it's doing something similar to what a human would do in terms of its process to make a decision and respond to its environment, simply on the basis that the outcomes frequently appear correct and consistent with what a human would do, but that is not the case at all, and there's a much bigger risk that a given AI cannot adapt to a novel scenario by generalizing from previous behaviours.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
A guy is giving a bag of adblue away on our local Facebook neighborhood group. Apparently he thought it was window washer fluid, went as far as to pour it into the reservoir and use a bit...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Me yesterday in the terrible car poo poo thread :v:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

'self-driving cars are right around the corner' he said, to the flatbed tow truck/cleanup crew

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ok, that last breakthrough in AI wasn’t it. But the next one will bring us self driving cars. I promise :downs:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No you see it was a mechanical problem, not an AI problem

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I work for a contractor for a major fibre broadband provider in the UK, and over the last couple of days we’ve had to replace six streetside fibre cabinets because idiots keep crashing into them and knocking out internet access for everyone in the area.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Interesting one today, heading to work I drive along a dual carriageway. On occasion it is busy but in the past 6 months I interact with maybe a dozen cars in terms of passing in the 6/7 miles I'm on it. Today I pulled onto it and noticed way in the distance what looked like a police car sat in one of the lanes with the lights on blocking traffic. With there being very little traffic on it, it was easy to move over and pass and what do I see as I'm passing? A white Tesla Model 3 wedged into the hedgerow near the garden centre on the road. No idea how it got there, the roads are completely dry and as I said there's gently caress all traffic today, no other car around that it had hit... There's a couple of houses just before this that sit right by the roadside but nobody who lives in them is dumb enough to risk piling straight onto the road which is a 60mph limit without paying attention.

It is a mystery.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's a Tesla. You answered your own question.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
5-lane road/2 lanes each direction with a paved center divider. Big yellow street sweeper going my direction in the middle lane about 500 yards ahead, and an Audi passing me on my left about 5mph faster than me. Nobody else on the road, and it's a sunny day around noon.

5 seconds after the Audi passes, he's well ahead of me and approaching the big yellow street sweeper, trundling at 10mph and with all it's lights flashing. The center divider narrows to a set of double yellow lines ahead for a 4-lane bridge, and naturally the sweeper gradually enters the left lane. The Audi doesn't notice until the last second and almost stuffs into the back of it. Honking and swerving, meanwhile the right lane is & had always been completely clear.

I need to figure out which button on my dash cam saves the video - I was on the road a few more hours and it had rolled over by the time I'd gotten home. :(

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Olympic Mathlete posted:

A white Tesla Model 3 wedged into the hedgerow near the garden centre on the road

If there's a Tesla in your hedgerow
Don't be alarmed now
It's just a sad wreck
From a defect

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This one's probably easier to explain with a picture.

Okay, 491 going east/west, 202 running north/south. Where 491 runs into 202, you've got three lanes, driveway at B is to a Wawa parking lot. I'm coming west on 491 entering at the bottom right of the screen.

Light's red. You can turn on red there, but there's traffic headed north on 202 so nobody can turn and the lane is backed up all the way down to the Wawa exit. Woman in the SUV right in front of me helpfully decides to stop at A. Which is nice, lovely, she doesn't want to block the driveway to the Wawa, very considerate. A few cars coming the other way make the left in front of her, very good.

Cue dude in pickup truck leaving the Wawa lot, he's at B and wants to turn left. He edges out into the westbound lane instead of staying at the stop bar. He's looking to his right to try to spot a gap in eastbound traffic that'll let him turn east. Meanwhile, the traffic stopped in the right turn lane begins to clear. Lady who every-so-considerately stopped at A is now getting impatient because B is now blocking her from advancing until he can make his turn, this isn't what she signed up for. He's still looking to his right. She now decides to go around him, since he's not going anywhere. She swings out into the are just west of the gore. He is still looking to his right. He now sees a gap in traffic so he can make his left. Then these three things happen simultaneously: She passes directly in front of his pickup, he turns his head to the left to look at where he's going, he accelerates. Note that he did not follow the correct order of operations, and smashes right into her SUV. They both say gently caress, he backs up out of the lane back to B, she proceeds straight to make the right turn where she can then take the other entrance into Wawa and do the whole 'we just ran our cars together' thing with him.

Bonus: He's backed up into B, looking behind himself while in reverse. At this point, there's no traffic in front of me, I'm free to go. As I pass in front of him, he simultaneously looks forward to see where he's going and accelerates. I swing a bit wide and goose the pedal a bit to avoid him, and he reacts quickly enough to slam on his brakes and wouldn't have hit me anyway, but I'm glad I was giving him the eagle eye as I proceeded because I was certain he was going to make the same dumb loving mistake twice in the space of 10 seconds.

This only reinforces my belief: always, always, always take the right of way if you have it. It's very nice you chose to not obstruct the entrance to Wawa while waiting for a red light to turn, but was it worth it? Was it really?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Eh, for considerate lady A, if you're in for a penny you're in for a pound. Also warrants a horn honk & eye contact if you're gonna cross the guy's bow like that, if you're not gonna keep waiting.

I do the same at the crosswalk for a stop-controlled driveway here. Usually, right-turning drivers have their heads craned to the left watching for a gap in traffic, parked over said crosswalk. A "Hey!" before you cross in front of them helps keep you from getting run over.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Don't be alarmed now
It's just a sad wreck
From a defect

:golfclap:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Don't be alarmed now
It's just a sad wreck
From a defect

I love this an indescribable amount.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Don't be alarmed now
It's just a sad wreck
From a defect

If you play it backwards you can hear it says:

elon musk is sweet Satan
the one who's twitter rants
will make you mad
who's power is insider trakin'

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
:siren::siren: AI: Secret Santa Registration Closes Soon! :siren::siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Please come sign up. We currently have 30 signups out of the 50 I am aiming.

Please see below for a VERY generous offer from McTinkerson

McTinkerson posted:

Any Canadians that have yet to sign up will get a 4 pack of locally brewed tall boys delivered to their door. [No IPA's because gently caress that.] Any American that signs up who hasn't yet and has at one point owned something powered by Doritos will get a 1.5L bottle of La Fin Du Monde.

Edit: Subject to availability of the special 1.5L bottles. They are usually available for xmas.

I'm still offering participation prizes for Kiwis & Aussies!

Don't miss out

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946227

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ouch.

https://twitter.com/oldschoolbiker4/status/1329538400387534849?s=20

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 20, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Oh, he's going to scrape his bumper. Oh he's going to catch the wall. Oh he's going to turn too much.

...oh, he stopped. Something going to fall down? Another car going to come by and crash?

....:psyduck:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

This is the car I briefly shared a Lotte parking lot with.

Not sure what it is.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is the car I briefly shared a Lotte parking lot with.

Not sure what it is.

Looks like a '64 Buick Riviera

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I only know what it is because of Drive Angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9UbHuNHtIU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, he's going to scrape his bumper. Oh he's going to catch the wall. Oh he's going to turn too much.

...oh, he stopped. Something going to fall down? Another car going to come by and crash?

....:psyduck:

Yeah, my brain went to the same places as yours but the punchline was SO MUCH BETTER than I could've imagined.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

This is incredible how have I never seen this?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

One world, one people, one slab of asphalt.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My monthly mileage has dropped to around 200km or so. That's including unnecessary rides. Whenever I get in the car now I fear I might become the subject of this thread. Good luck everyone I'll be getting groceries tomorrow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

My monthly mileage has dropped to around 200km or so. That's including unnecessary rides. Whenever I get in the car now I fear I might become the subject of this thread. Good luck everyone I'll be getting groceries tomorrow.

:lol:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Dave Inc. posted:

This is incredible how have I never seen this?

You're under 40?

When I say "alt.pave.the.earth" do you even understand the formatting?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You must be this old to know about Usenet

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Vanagoon posted:

I only know what it is because of Drive Angry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9UbHuNHtIU

There chrome letters on the side help out.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/NYCFireWire/status/1333775379010609152?s=20

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

MisterOblivious posted:

You're under 40?

When I say "alt.pave.the.earth" do you even understand the formatting?

Only four years shy of the cut and heeeeck no. I should have asked my brother, he was downloading Civ 1 illegally before that was a thing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

First time I was on a decent sized bride in a lot of wind for a fire department call (so I'm out walking around) it was doing poo poo like that. I nervously asked the guy from the bridge commission if that was normal and expected. I was told in no uncertain times that if you're on a bridge with traffic or wind load and it's NOT doing that you better run like hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://twitter.com/komonews/status/1333959067962753024