Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

actionjackson posted:

I think Biden could still pull out a squeaker even if he loses PA, WI, OH, GA, TX...

edit: whoops forgot to change DC

lol dc going trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Good morning. I forgot to flip Alaska hard red but imagine that I did

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Judakel posted:

No way Biden wins independents. He is a career politician and a centrist at that. There is very appeal there.

Republicans aren't going to be voting for Joe Biden. That is a lie he believes.

if it's a lie, it's a lie respondents are telling pollsters, not a lie biden is telling himself

Marie Furie
Nov 11, 2016

nevada's close to in the bag for biden, and i've got a good feeling about arizona and north carolina

think pennsylvania goes blue by 3-4 points, florida stays red

texas, ohio, and iowa are all pipe dreams

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MadJackal posted:

Real map. Closer than I'd like, but I'll take it.

lmao.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

all I needed to do was give Biden Ohio and Iowa to get a map that finally has a contiguous swathe of blue from sea to shining sea
who cares about florida, red america is cut in half
also biden is going to win the election by early morning on the fourth at the latest

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

if it's a lie, it's a lie respondents are telling pollsters, not a lie biden is telling himself

yeah, i can understand people saying "lol polls are meaningless", but not because there's some mass of shy trump voters who the pollsters just can't reach for some reason

dems won the popular vote in 2018 by 8.6 points, polling had them winning by 10.2 going in. biden is currently polling up 7.8 now. trump needs to get within 3 to have a shot at an EC victory, and probably closer to 2 points like he won by in 2016. twice in history polls have been off by more than 5 points (not counting Dewey Defeats Truman):

1996 had Dole beating his polls by 5 points on his way to still losing in a humiliating fashion

1980 had Reagan narrowly winning going into the election then beating Mondale in an absolute laugher, beating his polls by 7-8 points.

I don't think it's impossible for Trump to win, but the idea that it's going to come from a massive voter block completely missed by the polls is dumb as hell

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

It's more that factors outside of the election have made everything so tumultuous that nobody knows what the gently caress and the traditional polling systems are totally upended.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Grapplejack posted:

It's more that factors outside of the election have made everything so tumultuous that nobody knows what the gently caress and the traditional polling systems are totally upended.

yeah, if trump wins, it's going to be an outright stolen election, not because of this weird idea that more people aren't voting for biden than trump and somehow polls are just not tracking accurate support for trump, as a couple people up thread were asserting

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Montana for no reason but why not

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

cheetah7071 posted:

Both are true.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Azathoth posted:

yeah, i can understand people saying "lol polls are meaningless", but not because there's some mass of shy trump voters who the pollsters just can't reach for some reason

dems won the popular vote in 2018 by 8.6 points, polling had them winning by 10.2 going in. biden is currently polling up 7.8 now. trump needs to get within 3 to have a shot at an EC victory, and probably closer to 2 points like he won by in 2016. twice in history polls have been off by more than 5 points (not counting Dewey Defeats Truman):

1996 had Dole beating his polls by 5 points on his way to still losing in a humiliating fashion

1980 had Reagan narrowly winning going into the election then beating Mondale in an absolute laugher, beating his polls by 7-8 points.

I don't think it's impossible for Trump to win, but the idea that it's going to come from a massive voter block completely missed by the polls is dumb as hell

Let's wait and see. 2 days. It won't be massive. It will be enough.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Judakel posted:

Let's wait and see. 2 days. It won't be massive. It will be enough.

yeah, that's my take as well.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Brogeoisie posted:

Montana for no reason but why not

I mean, presidentially, Montana voted for the Democrat more recently than a non-incumbent Republican won the popular vote

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

FacebookEmpathyMom posted:

I mean, presidentially, Montana voted for the Democrat more recently than a non-incumbent Republican won the popular vote

Yeah honestly small sample size, bad/nonpolling, weird covid turnout dynamics - might happen. Feel like odds are more likely we see a Ohio surprise for Biden but this is more fun

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

MadJackal posted:

Real map. Closer than I'd like, but I'll take it.

Hey, that's my exact prediction as well.

In 2016 I thought Hillary would top 300 with ease, so I'm a big dumb

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Azathoth posted:

TURMP *CLICK*!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Azathoth posted:

yeah, if trump wins, it's going to be an outright stolen election, not because of this weird idea that more people aren't voting for biden than trump and somehow polls are just not tracking accurate support for trump, as a couple people up thread were asserting
I still believe in TRUMP *click*

They aren't shy, they're just not participating in the survey on any level that fulfills the criteria for the data that's being collected

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the word "shy" in the "shy Trump voter" term is misleading, even if we accept that they exist in large enough numbers to skew the polls. I don't think Trump supporters are shy about supporting Trump. They're not, like, afraid of what people will think of them. They just think polls are fake news bullshit and don't bother to respond to them. Their Favorite President has told them as much many, many times.

If the "shy Trump voter" does exist, I don't think it's because they fear some sort of social repercussion for admitting they support Trump. It'd be because they're ignoring pollsters, not picking up the phone, not responding to online polls, etc., and therefore not getting detected.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Idiot Kicker posted:

Hey, that's my exact prediction as well.

In 2016 I thought Hillary would top 300 with ease, so I'm a big dumb

i think if Hillary had actually had the momentum to win, it would have been a big win, but lol for all the people who hated Trump, they couldn't be bothered to commit their night to voting in an election he couldn't possibly win, right?

I have absolutely no idea how this election will play out so I won't make a map. 2016 hosed me up so bad on politics and I don't give a poo poo what the polls say anymore, I just want to check the box for yeezy/tiddyball and move on with my loving life

I have never felt better about living in Oklahoma and maybe the sheer novelty of getting to vote for Kanye will get some extra people out to the polls here, a place where almost nobody loving bothers

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

I think the word "shy" in the "shy Trump voter" term is misleading, even if we accept that they exist in large enough numbers to skew the polls. I don't think Trump supporters are shy about supporting Trump. They're not, like, afraid of what people will think of them. They just think polls are fake news bullshit and don't bother to respond to them. Their Favorite President has told them as much many, many times.

If the "shy Trump voter" does exist, I don't think it's because they fear some sort of social repercussion for admitting they support Trump. It'd be because they're ignoring pollsters, not picking up the phone, not responding to online polls, etc., and therefore not getting detected.

I mean I don't even acknowledge any form of communication that isn't both expected and from someone I know. Since covid started this includes the doorbell bc solicitors have gone insane during the day with everyone wfh around here

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Harrow posted:

fwiw, everybody I know who "hides" they support trump hides it poorly and will gladly tell you at length about their politics if they think you are remote receptive so I cannot imagine those people lying to a random nobody pollster especially if it means supporting their guy at no cost to them

the Bradley Effect was never real and the main reason 2016 went the way it did was people staying home

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
the 2016 map but trump gets some other state like minnesota or new hampshire

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/DraftKings/status/1323294561079304192

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Set lols to maximum

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Set lols to maximum

Yeah this'll be it

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i am not gonna toxx but i am absolutely 100% sure oklahoma will deliver seven electoral votes to kanye west

if this happens y'all owe me an avatar or something

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Set lols to maximum

Trump, flipping Joe's Delaware? It's more likely than you think.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

Chamale posted:

Just out of curiosity, here is the map if 538's projected vote totals are accurate, with Biden getting 351 electoral votes:

Thank you!!

Its so frustrating that they dont like just have a big, automatically shaded map to like easily look at. like idc about their lines of text or like separating state predictions into separate pages or the weird squiggly line or useless dot things.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Set lols to maximum

EVs for states that don't exist go to the incumbent, this scans

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

This is my best-case scenario pick. Real pick would flip NC, FL, and IA to Trump.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

My map. I think it comes down to AZ. I'm giving trump the benefit of the doubt in all the other swing states.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My map. I think it comes down to AZ. I'm giving trump the benefit of the doubt in all the other swing states.

Good news! Biden is not winning AZ according to early voting totals.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taintrunner posted:

Good news! Biden is not winning AZ according to early voting totals.

In that case. Here is my weighted map:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

From one of the bigger talking heads in poll interpreting punditry:

https://twitter.com/MassMom1/status/1323256188071481345?s=19

In all the iterations I've seen here, not sure I've seen anyone predict a blue Georgia and a red Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Azathoth posted:

From one of the bigger talking heads in poll interpreting punditry:

https://twitter.com/MassMom1/status/1323256188071481345?s=19

In all the iterations I've seen here, not sure I've seen anyone predict a blue Georgia and a red Florida.
Wasserman is deep into district level polling, which is how he knew Hillary was in trouble in '16. I trust his opinion more than anyone's. That said, he could be up his own rear end at this point and completely wrong.