Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Fishstick posted:

I really hope another rework of BET-C is on the horizon because goddamn even the "friendly" BET-C is a serious hazard to your health and is a lot more annoying than it is useful.

Yeah the bet-C and molly AI need some work, they shouldn't ever be more than 30m from a player. The grenade attack is the main problem with bet-c so you just either make it like the AC and do no friendly fire or just change the actual weapon type. They should just do a complete rework on both and give molly upgrade modules so you can stick a turret, boombox, or a set of big lights on her. The turret would be an easy job because it's something that should already be a thing with engineer turrets, just give every member of the team 50-100 turret ammo that they can refill when they get ammo so they can dump it into friendly turrets to fill them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

In my experience, the main problem with Bet-C isn't her weapons (although I am probably taking less damage here due to the Friendly perk; one more place that comes in clutch).

It's the fact that she has collision with players, way more mass than you, a loving huge hitbox, and she NEVER. STOPS. MOVING. AROUND.

She's a nonstop bull in a china shop, knocking everyone all over the battlefield, often with not a lot of warning or recourse. God help you if you have her with you in any kind of fall damage situation where you're trying to move around on ledges in combat, or anywhere in Magma Core where there's fire to be dodged (so, anywhere in Magma Core). I can only imagine how annoying she'll be in the new acid pit biome. They need to make her sit the gently caress still and just shoot whenever she has a firing angle. There's no reason for her to be moving unless she loses LOS, let alone constantly stomping around like a psycho. I've even seen her move out of LOS and gently caress herself up, the movement compulsion on her AI is so strong.

If it were up to me, I would just never repair her after finishing the fight, but some magpie always does (and honestly I don't blame them, her "repair me" klaxon is awful).

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 9, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
There are def some sad rear end sounds in this game. Dottie getting hurt also is terrible and sometimes there’s a weird bug where she just CONSTANTLY takes a tiny amount of damage and it’s so sad.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If Doretta drives over BET-C, she'll kill the Charge Suckers instantly.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Speaking of sad-rear end sounds

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/286337993080438785/775287502239301663/When_you_find_a_blue_mushroom.mp4

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

What the hell is that? I hate it!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
What are you trying to say about the best line in the game? All the yeast cone lines are amazing.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Haha, I guess I don't tag beer ingredients much? I listened to that like five times this morning and could NOT figure out what he was saying.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
You shouldn't be able to be shot off ziplines. The gunner has really poo poo movement options as it is, but being shot off a zipline and instantly going down has ruined missions for me more than once. Just spent an hour setting up refinery pipelines because I can't make platforms and have to dig tunnels manually, survived wave after wave of enemies, and when the drop pod shows up and I already have a zipline to it I travel along only to be shot off at the very last second.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

nexus6 posted:

You shouldn't be able to be shot off ziplines. The gunner has really poo poo movement options as it is, but being shot off a zipline and instantly going down has ruined missions for me more than once. Just spent an hour setting up refinery pipelines because I can't make platforms and have to dig tunnels manually, survived wave after wave of enemies, and when the drop pod shows up and I already have a zipline to it I travel along only to be shot off at the very last second.

It's the only way to balance them properly, people would endlessly ride ziplines otherwise.

I understand you were just using it to get to the escape pod, but generally zipline riding during combat is a useful tactic that has to be used somewhat sparingly and is often a noob trap. I usually just use it temporarily to get an angle on a specific enemy, create a brief respite to recharge my shields, or wait for my shield generator to come off cooldown. You need to understand the enemy types that are spawning in that biome, and prioritize your killing to eliminate the ones that can knock you off (obviously). What newer players often don't get is: riding ziplines increases enemy pathfinding towards your remaining teammates running around on the ground! This increases the threat to them, reduces their combat effectiveness as they have to spend more time running to create space, and removes your shields & health from the collective pool mitigating overall damage. Also excessive enemy path finding that fails to create a path to the player may still create bulk detonators due to the anti-bunkering algorithm (I'm assuming this is still in the game), too much zipline riding should trigger it.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

nexus6 posted:

Thats the tradeoff for riding zips. Youre basically immune to everything ground based so you should focus on mactera/spitters while on the zipline. It's also a good motivation to get the zipline speed upgrade :v:. Also the refinery missiontype specifically has a big focus on terrain manipulation / usage so going in solo as Gunner you're gonna have a Bad Time. You'll be much better off doing those with other people and knock those out in at least half the time.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that's some bad luck on my part but it felt pretty lovely, especially since Bosco can only revive you X many times. Little bastard didn't cover me on the zipline then didn't revive me because he can only do it twice.

PSA - don't zipline in solo.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I would strongly suggest not playing solo in general unless you're doing something that requires it specifically. Bosco is an amazing teammate but does little to help your mobility compared to a driller or engineer and the limited number of revives can be very unforgiving.

If your internet is atrocious or you're in a bizarro time zone I understand but if you do have the option it's usually worthwhile to team up.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

I've heard most pubbies playing this co-op game are selfish assholes though, that's why I was playing solo.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
It's mostly not that bad. It's just when it's bad it's really bad. Either in the flavor of "hapless newbie doesn't know how to perform vital class functions" or "sweaty level 4000 player is not satisfied by the rest of the team's imperfect performance." The vast majority of randoms I play with are just people getting through the level and pressing the ROCK AND STONE button.

Personally I'm guilty of being "the scout that gets lost and cut off from the party then goes down solo during a swarm."

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 9, 2020

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
They’re not! But they are stupid. I solo a lot and I’m relatively new and I’m dumb but usually people are cool about it and I learn a lot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nexus6 posted:

I've heard most pubbies playing this co-op game are selfish assholes though, that's why I was playing solo.

no

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

nexus6 posted:

I've done one solo mission in DRG and hundreds of group missions, and assholes are rare in this game, especially on lower hazard levels. If you jump into an EDD or haz5 mission when you clearly aren't up to it some people may get pissy, but otherwise the player base is generally chill as gently caress and communication takes the form of spamming rock and stone.

This game is terrible and boring solo, it's all about teamwork and working together with different tool sets to solve levels, play it online.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

nexus6 posted:

I have almost 800 hours ingame now and 99% of that is just jumping into pubbie lobbies. The vast, vast majority of players are just people playing in varying degrees of competency. The amount of times I've ran into actual jerks or griefers is extremely minimal. On lower Haz levels you might run into toxic vets for some reason (same thing happens in Vermintide), but once you get familiar with staying alive and how to get around you can just jump into haz3 or haz4 games. Also if you're hosting you have unilateral control, you can just kick anyone that's being a dick instantly without having to go through a votekick system.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah the vast majority of players are competent if not particularly amazing. A little communication goes a long way and most people will listen if you voice chat or even type at them, though sometimes it can be hard to hear or notice the pop-up if you're busy trying not to die so give people a few chances.

You'll often find decent players that will stick around for multiple missions or Deep Dives if you ask, and I've found a few that were worth friending to play with later, though this doesn't happen as often.

Generally the worst things you'll need to deal with are engineers who don't use their platform guns / turrets and scouts who don't light things up / mine very well. Rarely you'll get an rear end in a top hat who calls the drop pod as soon as you complete the primary objective, even if you say not to. Beyond that I'm level 230 something with some 400 hours and think I can count on one hand the number of times I've been deliberately TK'ed by a pubbie and all but one of those was just "hijinks at the droppod" and nothing malicious.

If nothing else, goons are pretty good at dwarfing and even one player can be a world of difference!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I mostly play solo and I don't have any problems, but I also rarely play above "Challenging" so I'm not the most reliable opinion.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've only played about 40 hours but I really like the difficulty curve compared to other games of the 4 player co-op genre. Haz 4 feels like a meaningful step up from 3 without making you want to tear your hair out. I haven't tried haz 5 yet so maybe it does get infuriating.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haz 5 is rough but bearable as long as you're really on top of your poo poo

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

First time trying an elite deep dive last night and that second level is complete bullshit. Right out of the drop pod you have 6+ praetorians, a couple of spitballers, breeder, and a shitzilion bugs. Also it's an o2 mission, and apparently mining jacks don't have oxygen tanks.

Are EDDs usually like that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Krowley posted:

First time trying an elite deep dive last night and that second level is complete bullshit. Right out of the drop pod you have 6+ praetorians, a couple of spitballers, breeder, and a shitzilion bugs. Also it's an o2 mission, and apparently mining jacks don't have oxygen tanks.

Are EDDs usually like that?

No theyre usually tough but this week's 2nd stage is just exceptionally hard this time around. It can swing a lot from week to week.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

For this week's EDD get your crew to stay in the pod and shoot out to clear as much as possible at first. If you're playing Engi, even post-nerf the breach cutter is absurdly good at wrecking piles of enemies with no risk of blowing yourself up.

In terms of scaling, EDD is like haz5.5

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Also excessive enemy path finding that fails to create a path to the player may still create bulk detonators due to the anti-bunkering algorithm (I'm assuming this is still in the game), too much zipline riding should trigger it.

As far as I know the Bulks have been replaced by the Oppressors in this role.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Mission 2 of the EDD was a real loving nightmare, they’re usually nowhere near that bad but it’s rare to get an elite dive where you don’t sweat on at least one of the missions.

Refinery missions are particularly obnoxious with low O2.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Got it done, finally. Last mission was easy after all that.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Thank god I was using gunner with leadstorm oc, basically the max dps weapon in the game, to carry the team through stage 2 of edd on first try.

The amount of praetorians and oppressors were ridiculous and that minigun/oc build just shred though them in seconds while slightly cheesing through it with a zipline above the refining rig. Grinding back to the rig also helped with getting o2 quickly.

And at least people can't complain about power creep or edd being too easy after this :v:

edit: just jump into a new cave rambo style with your gunner shield and you wont have to worry about spitballers or giant wave of swarms as you mow them all down with your minigun from within the bubble.

coke fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 10, 2020

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Usual four-man session as we (slowly) grind our way up to promoting all four classes. Pots O' Gold on sale? Gold Rush bonus? Great! Sure it's in the shithole that is Magma Core, but it's a quick-n-dirty refining mission, that's all. As long as we don't disrupt any one of the fifty-odd exploding plants around the Refinery and manage to avoid slinging a zipline and/or building a pipeline over one of the few dozen of these loving Lava Geysers also around the Refinery, nothing will go wrong. No long winding tunnels with hidden eggs or a spaghetti-mess of high-up bridges to grab really awkward fossils or any of that bullshit, just an unbelievably large cavern with a few ledges to climb up and over all containing a fair whack of gold. It's practically flat! We'll be fiiiiiine.

Oh look, a Detonator amidst the first loving swarm. Well, so much for that safe-play strategy. I wish I knew how to fly.

Magma Core can gently caress off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can fly, it’s called being the scout

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dogen posted:

You can fly fall very fast upwards, it’s called being the scout

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Anyone having any issues on Salvage missions where one of the mini-M.U.L.E. legs just either does not spawn or is hidden deep in the geometry off map somewhere? Had a guy last week during the Deep Dive who mentioned how a previous attempt failed because they couldn't find the last leg and just did a Haz 4 mission with a buddy for the weekly cores and we could not find the last leg. It seems like before this last update there were always spare legs, but now there aren't any and apparently it's causing an issue but I have no idea how common it is if Ghost Ship hasn't fixed it already and I didn't see anyone mentioning it the last couple pages.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I had one of those yesterday, I just hade time to squeeze one game in before I hade to leave, so I eventually I had to leave the game running so that the others could continue searching if they wanted, but they ended up not finding it. Not sure why they changed up the spawning, probably had more confidence in the new code.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Anyone having any issues on Salvage missions where one of the mini-M.U.L.E. legs just either does not spawn or is hidden deep in the geometry off map somewhere? Had a guy last week during the Deep Dive who mentioned how a previous attempt failed because they couldn't find the last leg and just did a Haz 4 mission with a buddy for the weekly cores and we could not find the last leg. It seems like before this last update there were always spare legs, but now there aren't any and apparently it's causing an issue but I have no idea how common it is if Ghost Ship hasn't fixed it already and I didn't see anyone mentioning it the last couple pages.

Before the last update there were 4 spare legs per mule in the map. Then they updated their algorithm and felt confident enough to remove the "extra" spare from each minimule. As expected, bugs still happen and sometimes not all the legs spawn. You can seee them on the scanner if youre next ot the minimule now but yeah its still possible to "soft fail" the mission because theres an actual leg missing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

nexus6 posted:

Just gonna echo that this is entirely wrong. Here's the closest i've had to someone being told to gently caress off.

I had a new guy/young child join on a haz 4 mission that i'd randomly joined too. The guys switched from French to English, saved them a bunch of times, then gently suggested they try lower difficulties first until they get what they're supposed to do.

We then finished the mission and everyone went off to their next assignment.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I'm closing in onto 2500 missions and I think there's been like 10 or 11 times someone was rude or bad enough to be kicked. Pubbies are far better behaved in deep rock than in a lot of coop games. People dropping into your session to steal resources in genshin impact is worse than deep rock pubbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

nexus6 posted:

Chiming in to say this has not been my experience, in fact I consider DRG one of the best pubbie experiences in any multiplayer game I've ever played. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many truly bad experiences I've had and still have some fingers left over. This is after 240 hours of gameplay, with the vast majority of it including pubbies.

Now, you can have ineffective pubbies, like Scouts that will not flare or Engies slow to platform (or who don't at all unless you ping) buuuuut even that's not super common and I'd rank as more of a minor inconvenience than actual assholish behavior. Some pubbies are a bit gung-ho about leaving Mining missions before you get to the final cave, I guess? They almost always say "ok" when I explain why we should hit it first, tho.

Full disclosure, I putz around in Haz 3 most of the time, but people in higher Haz ratings seems to echo the idea that pubbies in this game are not bad at all.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 11, 2020