Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
:confused:
This is still a pinned topic on the c# install forum:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10775.0

e: regarding Aurora mods being banned

e2: but they also have a mods forum there, so uh
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=294.0

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
quote is not edit.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

give the column inches to Grey Hunter

Nah, give it to Gary Brecher.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Darkrenown posted:

:confused:
This is still a pinned topic on the c# install forum:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=10775.0

e: regarding Aurora mods being banned

e2: but they also have a mods forum there, so uh
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=294.0

Yeah, he walked it back a bit. Some discussion here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11381.0

Basically he won't accept bug reports unless you can reproduce on a clean vanilla install and he had only approved certain mods.

The initial stance was kinda knee-jerk though there's definitely some merit to not wanting to try and sort through support requests with a million mods installed.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I did a 4 human npr on earth game with aurora and now they're all killing eachother while ignoring me. Any idea what's going on?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It only took me 38 turns up to February 1943 to figure it out but apparently what you're supposed to do is to have the small Soviet navy sally forth from its bases on the eastern side of the Black Sea and plant them in the Kerch Strait and outside of German-occupied occupied towns on the western coast of the Caucasus sector - there's an inter-turn calculation that will be run to destroy supply points being conveyed over water, and that's going to cut off the Germans from supply.

That entire Armee has now hit zero supply and is going to be completely destroyed with little resistance.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

That's why their was no update Thursday?

What the gently caress...

And wargamer.com never has Silent Hunter V w/ mods on their top sim lists.

Lame

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

gradenko_2000 posted:

give the column inches to Grey Hunter

I know this is meant as a joke but if any of you want to get paid to effortpost I'm pretty sure it would be welcomed, nobody wants to have zero wargames on RPS.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Vando posted:

I know this is meant as a joke but if any of you want to get paid to effortpost I'm pretty sure it would be welcomed, nobody wants to have zero wargames on RPS.

Make a collective pen name.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Make a collective pen name.

James SA Comey?

Delivering all the unwelcome truths of wargames.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dunite posted:

James SA Comey?

Delivering all the unwelcome truths of wargames.

I hate you as much as I love this.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Man, I'm off grid for a few days, come back and see like 70 new messages in the Grog thread. "Oh! What could it be! WitP2? A new DC?"

:negative:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

You should know by now that when any low traffic thread gets a ton of posts it's because some dumbass loosely related to the thread topic torpedoed their career

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

aurora c#: is there a way to give nprs installations with spacemode

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vando posted:

Indeed.

https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/1327326077698584587?s=21

Edit: given the similarity between the Basement of Curiosity illustrations and some of the official art from the old Zoofights threads, I’m fairly certain you wouldn’t even be the first goon to write for them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished reading Edward Miller's "War Plan Orange", which tracked the evolution of how US officers planned to fight a Pacific war against Japan, from the turn of the 20th century, up to the actual event itself, and it presents a couple of ideas, of various states of feasibility, on what else could have been done:

1. the "Through Ticket" - the entire USN assembles into a one gigantic fleet, all the battleships, cruisers, screens, and a large transport force bearing whole divisions, and the whole shebang sails directly from Pearl Harbor, rounds the northern coast of Luzon, and then lands directly onto Manila to relieve it.

2. the variant of the Through Ticket that takes a more southerly course to instead land on Dumanquilas Bay on the island of Mindanao - Dumanquilas is developed into a major fleet base, and is used as a staging ground for further expeditions. An alternate site identified was a base on the island of Palawan.

3. there were a number of different options presented as far as which island in the Central Pacific would be used as a fleet base, whether Jaluit or Wotje (historically, the USN went with Manus), or even Truk as the first stop, and then Palau, and then a landing in the Philippines, but the overall point was that you'd do all of that without going up through the South Pacific first.

4. holding (or in event, retaking) Wake Island, and using its airstrip to provide long-range air support for lunges into the Central Pacific, since planes based at Wake should be able to strike at places like Eniwetok, Rongelap, or Taongi

5. apparently the initial penetration into the Central Pacific included a complex plan to draw out the IJN by sailing a three CV TF towards Wotje/Maloelap, baiting the the Japanese battle-line, and then moving in with nine USN battleships for a Mahanian Decisive Battle somewhere in the vicinity of Wake. The book even described it as the American equivalent of Yamamoto's Midway operation - as it played out, this operation was the brainchild of Admiral Husband Kimmel, so it never materialized (among other reasons) since he was drummed out of the picture after the Pearl Harbor attack.

6. instead of trying to seize and develop any kind of west-of-Pearl fleet base, just use the one you already have - the fleet makes a major redeployment out of Pearl, sailing either north of New Guinea or rounding the south of Australia, then coming up through Surabaya, to land at Singapore, and use that as a staging ground. The medium term objective would be to challenge control of northern Borneo (a base at Jesselton) and Cam Ranh Bay, to set up a line of naval interdiction that sinks everything coming between Hainan and Luzon.

7. as a further alternative, if Singapore were to fall, then Surabaya itself would be the staging area, with a farther-back advance from the south of Borneo moving north.

8. later in the war, an invasion of Formosa, to use that as the airbase from which to strike at Japan with land-based air from

Again, not all of these are something that would work, even if you actually tried, but insofar as #6 sounds a lot like the "Fortress Palembang" strategy, it's interesting to think about wargaming some of these and seeing what happens.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism cinematic tankie simulator, will give it a quick whirl for an hour then give you a trip report. Honestly I'm excited to see just how dumb this gets.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Taintrunner posted:

I bought the Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism cinematic tankie simulator, will give it a quick whirl for an hour then give you a trip report. Honestly I'm excited to see just how dumb this gets.

i saw that it went on sale the other day; the screenshots were hilariously awful. let us know on a scale of 1-10 how hypnotized you get by the drama that unfolds before you!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Holy poo poo, this voice acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuG8x3IadnQ

Move over Troy Baker, there's some new kids in town.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

gazza
Oct 20, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Definitely, though there are still issues with certain voice lines as well as the usual issues associated with oohrah American troops shooting people in the Middle East. Less than domestically by police, but still some issues.

I don't see how hoorah troops shooting people in the Middle East on sight is any more morally okay or less problematic a theme than hoorah cops shooting Americans on sight

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gazza posted:

I don't see how hoorah troops shooting people in the Middle East on sight is any more morally okay or less problematic a theme than hoorah cops shooting Americans on sight

Domestic action by civilians isn’t the same as foreign action by militaries. Both are problematic. By comparison, one is a force deployed to conflict zones with the expectation of combat against a force which holds the same expectation against you. The other is deployed in the neighbourhood.

In specific tactical engagements, both operate in similar conditions, but the police aim should be the detention of criminals, rather than the killing of them. This isn’t the standard RoE in an equivalent military scenario. That’s the crux of the issue for me, as there is more divergence from what it should be in a law enforcement situation.

Again, both are problematic, and the military side becomes more comparable in the COIN context. Just taking the stance that shooting criminals immediately has worse and more immediate implications than shooting enemy combatants.

If there was a game just about drone strikes and presented itself uncritically, with no collateral damage issue just blow up as many people as possible, I’d argue that’s even more problematic than DK1 or 2.

This kind of thing is entirely down to the individual, anyhow. It’s easy to make an argument that the military side is more problematic, and you’re not wrong for equating the two. The important thing is identifying that things are problematic, critiquing that, and hopefully media can improve in their depictions of these potentially thorny areas.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So is there any reason not to get shadow empire on matrix if they'll also send out steam keys??

Also has anybody played Wizards and Warlords? It looks like the perfect combination of low graphics, uninformative UI, and super deep gameplay!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/567080/Wizards_and_Warlords/

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

IAmThatIs posted:

So is there any reason not to get shadow empire on matrix if they'll also send out steam keys??

Also has anybody played Wizards and Warlords? It looks like the perfect combination of low graphics, uninformative UI, and super deep gameplay!

That looks right up my alley and if I had more time I'd buy it and give you a trip report. Since I don't, I'm eagerly waiting to hear from any other goons if it's worth it.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

IAmThatIs posted:

Apart from you have to fight your way through the matrix site, not really.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

IAmThatIs posted:

I suppose if you go thru Matrix, that allows you to download a stand-alone copy, in addition to access via Steam. If they're the same price, I think it's nice to go straight to the publisher for games, but that's just me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Taintrunner posted:

There's probably some interesting mechanics in Strategic Mind, and i'll pick it up at some point, but the cutscenes really are the star of the show- Panzercorps text briefings, step aside. Good luck, man.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
War Room Afghanistan got released today and hot drat is it fun. It’s the coin and drone simulator I always wanted!

Just turn off audio chatter, it’s not bad, actually very nicely done, there is just little recorded, so it loops pretty quickly. So once you appreciate it, it’s cool to switch off.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 18, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

War Room Afghanistan got released today and hot drat is it fun. It’s the coin and drone simulator I always wanted!

Just turn off audio chatter, it’s not bad, actually very nicely done, there is just little recorded, so it loops pretty quickly. So once you appreciate it, it’s cool to switch off.

Does it model the US getting totally bodied?
Like this game would be cool if it was PVP oppositional, but otherwise just looks like it's propagandizing about how the US for sure won in Afghanistan. Or would have if x,y,z went differently.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Does it model the US getting totally bodied?
Like this game would be cool if it was PVP oppositional, but otherwise just looks like it's propagandizing about how the US for sure won in Afghanistan. Or would have if x,y,z went differently.

Well it’s a game, not a post doctorate thesis. If I recall this is set earlier on, but there are a tons of ways to gently caress up, like most strategy games, including too many war crimes.

For PVP stuff I think you’re looking more for Squad.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

What level of control do you have over your units in this? I'm watching a few videos and it's not clear to me whether you just control air support or whether it's more like Close Combat where you can give orders directly to ground units.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bold Robot posted:

What level of control do you have over your units in this? I'm watching a few videos and it's not clear to me whether you just control air support or whether it's more like Close Combat where you can give orders directly to ground units.

Definitely strategic level control, you order units into areas, but you don’t control them. You do control the drone and order fire support from. There is also supply and political elements at play too. I will admit it feels a little more like an excellent EA launch, but devs are there and developing. That said it’s light years better then Afghanistan 11, then again I love drone support stuff so that may be part of it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

do active sensors in aurora have a passive mode?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Yes, but it is a very very weak one, about the weakest you could make yourself.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Do games like Combat mission and the like count as Grognard games still?
I feel like it's diverged a lot and the fans of one are not necessarily fans of the other.
Basically:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Of course Combat Mission is still a grognard game

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Google isn't returning poo poo how the gently caress do I unmark a system as grav survey'd so I can find the dormant jump points.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I played through the first mission of Strategic Mind: Spectre of Communism. It's shockingly pretty decent, albeit a bit simple. Sort of like babby's first groggame The voice acting is bad... but earnest in a way you can respect. It harkens back to the old days of when developers would be the ones recording dialogue instead of hiring professional voice actors.

You play as Field Marshal Zhukov, which you will remember as the character portrayed by Jason Issacs in Death of Stalin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNbvepjd46A

Sadly, Jason Issacs does not reprise this role. After Beria sacks your boss for disloyalty, you lead the defense of Mongolia from "samurai" imperialists. You run a bunch of tanks straight at the enemy, backed by a few air bombings and some minor infantry. So... accurate. After you complete the primary objectives, you can run up the score and get more victory points to level up your command, and doing secondary objectives gets you stuff like tank flamethrowers, etc. I'm excited to play more and see how things pan out, as next you get to invade Poland. Should be interesting!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

IAmThatIs posted:

I've played a couple of hours of this and I'm liking it so far. It's like an extremely complicated version of Master of Magic. It reminds me a bit of Eador as well, and the procedurally generated stuff brings Warsim to mind, if you ever played that one. So it seems pretty cool but I can't tell for sure because I've got no idea what I'm doing. The game really needs some documentation. I'm gradually puzzling things out with trial and error, but it'd be nice if the game or a manual just told me all this poo poo. I guess the community has posted a bunch of stuff about the game, so I'll check that out next

Anyway, I've passed the window for a refund and it doesn't bother me, so 10/10 I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This thread is still a catch all for any janky niche strategy game that can't sustain a thread on it's own.