Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

How do you even clean a waxed canvas apron anyway. That thing is going to get gross.

Damp towel but it's pretty liquid resistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Nephzinho posted:

Between this, her patreon, and book deals, hopefully Molly is doing alright.
I thought she's married to a millionaire or something like that? So probably she'd be doing alright if she paid to ship you the shirts.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Ever see Matty's merch? It's crazy expensive too.

Literally most internet content is shifting focus onto Merch - obviously it's the best ROI.

Gaming, Food, Tech, everyone has a merch shop and somehow everyone's buying USD 36$ t shirts - it's insane.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Slotducks posted:

Ever see Matty's merch? It's crazy expensive too.

Literally most internet content is shifting focus onto Merch - obviously it's the best ROI.

Gaming, Food, Tech, everyone has a merch shop and somehow everyone's buying USD 36$ t shirts - it's insane.

A lot of it is print-on-demand, and the stuff that isn't is usually handled by merch companies now, instead of like, a website guy with a spare room filled with boxes of last year's XS t-shirts. So it's super easy and super low risk.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

According to Molly’s IG all of the aprons sold out. So something‘s working.

And Claire posting a long-rear end story tutorial thing about her pie crust. Trying to follow an IG story for a recipe seems like a total nightmare.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I thought she's married to a millionaire or something like that? So probably she'd be doing alright if she paid to ship you the shirts.

How did BA manage to make me temporarily care about rich white liberals?

Seeing Claire's wiki page was a crack ping moment for me too.

xtal fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 26, 2020

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

James May from Top Gear/The Grand Tour has a new cooking show on Amazon. He can't cook, so it is pretty endearing to watch a 50-something guy try to learn with the help of someone who knows what they're doing

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

xtal posted:

How did BA manage to make me temporarily care about rich white liberals?

I so totally feel this. I'm into French history and I was reading about the chef that created béchamel. I got to the part about his politics and holy poo poo. I will *not* be making that sauce again.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I feel like avoiding making a mother sauce because of the politics of its creator might be a smidge too far for me. Whatever dead rear end in a top hat invented it isn't getting any benefit from you making it, and you're locking yourself out of a LOT of sauces if you refuse to make a béchamel.

In all honesty I'm sure someone figured out to combine a roux and milk before him, he just happened to write it down in a book.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think that was sarcasm but in reply, I'm not watching Whomever Bechamel on YouTube either

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Claire is good and some of you are being hella weird about how she comes from a money-rear end family. I get that it could be bad, but she's never done that in front of a camera.

That being said, Rick said he would have videos every 2 weeks and that has not happened. I love the banter between him and his... partner???

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fartington Butts posted:

According to Mollys IG all of the aprons sold out. So somethings working.

My ex Avon selling rich yuppie cousin would buy one. She doesn't cook, actually. That I know of.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Fartington Butts posted:

Claire is good and some of you are being hella weird about how she comes from a money-rear end family. I get that it could be bad, but she's never done that in front of a camera.

Yeah I don't get this comment:

xtal posted:

are you surprised that she went to Harvard or something?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Thom and the Heads posted:

Yeah I don't get this comment:

are you surprised that she went to Harvard or something?

She's also a millionaire, as far as I'm aware

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I think the disconnect comes from that BA presented these folks super casually, which masks that most of these folks came from situations that allowed them to go to ivy schools, move to Europe and work at fancy-rear end restaurants. It's like when you learn Anthony Bourdain's parents were an executive for Columbia records and an editor for the New York Times.

It doesn't diminish their accomplishments or change the fact that they are good/great at what they do – but it does tinge a bit when so much of the brands are about being 'relatable'. Gourmet Makes was still grade A stuff, and Bourdain was still a great writer. Tho I can see how it could feel like a slight betrayal given the Brand.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The only betrayal I could feel is if Brad turned out to be the son of some venture capitalist and just happens to vibe blue collar

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Vegetable posted:

The only betrayal I could feel is if Brad turned out to be the son of some venture capitalist and just happens to vibe blue collar

Good news. His father only owns apartment buildings in NJ. So his dad is well off but works hard for his money, unlike venture capitalists.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Stringent posted:

I so totally feel this. I'm into French history and I was reading about the chef that created béchamel. I got to the part about his politics and holy poo poo. I will *not* be making that sauce again.

Do you mean Louis de Bechamel? Because the way these things usually work, it wasn't him personally who invented it; he was a politician not a professional chef. His hired dude would have come up with it. Same way Mornay sauce wasn't personally cooked up in the kitchen by the Duke of Mornay putting on some chef's whites on his day off.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The World Inferno posted:

I think the disconnect comes from that BA presented these folks super casually, which masks that most of these folks came from situations that allowed them to go to ivy schools, move to Europe and work at fancy-rear end restaurants. It's like when you learn Anthony Bourdain's parents were an executive for Columbia records and an editor for the New York Times.

It doesn't diminish their accomplishments or change the fact that they are good/great at what they do – but it does tinge a bit when so much of the brands are about being 'relatable'. Gourmet Makes was still grade A stuff, and Bourdain was still a great writer. Tho I can see how it could feel like a slight betrayal given the Brand.

Yeah it all makes sense but I still remember being a little shocked in the "best pizza" series where they go to Carla's family home in Connecticut or something and it's a huge loving mansion and of course they have a wood burning pizza oven there that probably cost like $20,000.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

droll posted:

Good news. His father only owns apartment buildings in NJ. So his dad is well off but works hard for his money, unlike venture capitalists.

owning property isn't hard work lmao.

i saw there was a new "it's alive" that was put up yesterday. it was sitting at 169k views after 24 hours. it is anecdotal, but that sure seems waaaaaay down compared to say a year ago

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Eat This Glob posted:

owning property isn't hard work lmao.

i saw there was a new "it's alive" that was put up yesterday. it was sitting at 169k views after 24 hours. it is anecdotal, but that sure seems waaaaaay down compared to say a year ago

The BA YouTube disappeared from my page the second I unsubscribed; I haven’t seen any notification of this despite being subscribed to Kenji, Babish for Sohla, and Chef John.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

The BA YouTube disappeared from my page the second I unsubscribed; I haven’t seen any notification of this despite being subscribed to Kenji, Babish for Sohla, and Chef John.

same, must be an algorithm thing that you don't see recommended videos from places you unsubbed from

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

eke out posted:

same, must be an algorithm thing that you don't see recommended videos from places you unsubbed from

Meanwhile, watch one random video and YouTube will flood your recommended videos with that topic until the end of time.

“Hey we saw you watched that video of a blacksmith making a knife, so here is a hatchet video, a sword video, a halberd video, a spiked knife video, a video about restoring an old knife, a cleaver video, a throwing knife video, and a video about making blacksmithing tools to make other things. No we will not stop putting these on your feed even if you say you aren’t interested.”

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Goddamn goons are remarkably precious about the stupidest things. I don't even see how some youtuber's personal life is at all your business or in fact something you care about. They're making grilled cheese sandwiches and you're worried that because their Daddy is a landlord they might not be authentically...a person that makes grilled cheese for cameras. The hell is wrong with you guys?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Also, "oh my god how could these hip urban chefs working for the most bougie food publication manhattan has to offer come from a privileged background? i am SHOCKED by this unexpected turn of events"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Well yeah - people still hang on to the hope of the meritocracy even after it's been disproven in business and everywhere else - It couldn't happen in food media, right??

W R O N G

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

quote:

The hell is wrong with you guys?

quote:

i am SHOCKED by this unexpected turn of events"

quote:

W R O N G

I mean again, a lot of the branding for em' is that they're regular folks like you & me. It's like when you're a kid visiting a school mates house for the first time and learn they live in a mansion.

These feel like over-reactions to some fairly light conversation :shrug:. It's fine to feel a little shocked by it if someone hadn't considered it before, and no one is saying they hate those folks for it.

Also,

Thanks for this. God drat this guy has the voice of room temperature butter.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 27, 2020

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The World Inferno posted:

These feel like over-reactions to some fairly light conversation :shrug:.

Its this weird meta thing that is extremely common on SA where one person overreacts to a small reaction and then 10 more people dogpile overreacting to what they pretend is an overreaction.

But nice meltdown.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

droll posted:

Its this weird meta thing that is extremely common on SA where one person overreacts to a small reaction and then 10 more people dogpile overreacting to what they pretend is an overreaction.

But nice meltdown.

shut up bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fizzymercy posted:

Goddamn goons are remarkably precious about the stupidest things. I don't even see how some youtuber's personal life is at all your business or in fact something you care about. They're making grilled cheese sandwiches and you're worried that because their Daddy is a landlord they might not be authentically...a person that makes grilled cheese for cameras. The hell is wrong with you guys?

As far as BA goes it became popular because it was a reality show workplace sitcom. Viewers don't make any of the food especially not anything by Brad or Claire. They want you to get invested in them as people.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

It's why theres a 22 minute episode on a bologna sandwich and an 8 part mini epic on how to make turkey and cranberry sauce

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Maybe I'll have to subscribe just to unsubscribe so they stay out of my recommendations then. Thanks for the tip!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

So what if she's married? I wish we could get away from treating every approachably cute woman on youtube like a vestal virgin.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

So what if she's married? I wish we could get away from treating every approachably cute woman on youtube like a vestal virgin.

seems like you're the one being weirdly sexual about a post that only said "she's rich"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That’s not what people meant when they said gently caress the rich

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I thought we're meant to eat them

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Eat This Glob posted:

Maybe I'll have to subscribe just to unsubscribe so they stay out of my recommendations then. Thanks for the tip!

You know you can just select 'Don't recommend channel' so you never see it again, right?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Rick_Hunter posted:

You know you can just select 'Don't recommend channel' so you never see it again, right?

nope. im dumb as hell - thanks for the tip! i am generally well served by The Algorithm so i don't know that I've ever had to remove channels or content producers before

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

New Rick Martinez vid – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWlZywX72n8. Digging his series so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Claire officially has her own youtube channel

https://youtu.be/Gf0FwdfAx6o