Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think as part of their plans of keeping the scope in check so they can actually release on time without a ton of bugs, they're doing a lot less of the random extra uniques/skills/whatever so they'll have less things to tease every day from announcement until release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
And they've been burned a couple of times by promising stuff a few weeks out and then not being able to get it ready in time, which I imagine they are keen to avoid this time around. So no publicity until the build is locked in.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
I've been out of the loop for like 3 seasons, and with all my usual winter activities canceled this year, I think I'm basically going to spend all of December loving around in PoE. Are necros still comically OP, or did they finally get hammered back down?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Morality_Police posted:

I've been out of the loop for like 3 seasons, and with all my usual winter activities canceled this year, I think I'm basically going to spend all of December loving around in PoE. Are necros still comically OP, or did they finally get hammered back down?

Previous busted op builds are nerfed and now regular op, and carrion golems is the most busted necro now

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Morality_Police posted:

:ssh:
Animated Weapons are the best now

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Morality_Police posted:

Zenithe posted:

Previous busted op builds are nerfed and now regular op, and carrion golems is the most busted necro now

Said nerfs are mainly with Mistress of Sacrifice and Corpse Pact plus GGG's continuous game of Whack-a-Mole of making new monsters that turn out to be ridiculously OP spectres then nerfing them so they aren't indestructible killing machines. You can still pretty much steamroll the game by picking one minion type to specialize in and allocating just life and minion nodes.

And don't listen to Rutibex.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

shimmy shimmy posted:

I'd much rather have a good league that works right off the bat

Nice joke, it's still gonna be hella broken on launch.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They said it would be a "thing in maps where you kill stuff" sort of league, I dunno how much hype building you need for that

Plus they need to cool it after Heist imploded on them

Also yeah guarantee something will be broken with the new mechanic. Plus, there will be some major oversight that gets patched and winds up only benefitting the top 1% of people far enough into endgame to be able to exploit it. Such is the nature of things

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Floodkiller posted:

Nice joke, it's still gonna be hella broken on launch.

"Emergency patch to fix Negative Delve Zone and Inverse Niko"

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Great, nerfing the only way to reliably krangle items. Typical GGG

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Is this the first time thundercubes have been worth less than 10 exalts?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dyzzy posted:

They said it would be a "thing in maps where you kill stuff" sort of league, I dunno how much hype building you need for that

"Remember how good Legion was?" is all the hype I need.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

dyzzy posted:

Is this the first time thundercubes have been worth less than 10 exalts?
I've never seen bigass thundercubes below 15ex, but the smaller ones regularly dip that low, yeah.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Krangled Map League

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Elentor posted:

I will let all you know I am more than a ready player to enjoy Endless Delve, here's my 4L -60% Chaos Res Flicker Strike in a 310 Vault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxWIAPA8K4g

How did you make flicker strike do zero dps and have such a low attack speed? I mean, yeah, prismatic eclipse isn't a good weapon, but surely there's more to it than that.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Krangled Map League

Race idea, everything is corrupted and no currency drops

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

No Portal Scrolls would suuuuuuuuuuuuck

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

whypick1 posted:

No Portal Scrolls would suuuuuuuuuuuuck

Corrupted portal scrolls send you to a random waypoint and turn off the waypoint until you find another

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
god bless goons and our incredibly :krad: dumbass ideas

"what if quantum leap league? every portal swaps you out for a random player's toon? and ziggyd guest voices Zana?"

e: 4 portal scrolls in your map device randomizes your hideout for no real reason

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The passive skill tree is also corrupted.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

just vaal me up

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
the passive tree? it's all portal scrolls now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Make it even more like the FF10 sphere grid, and you can use special currency to erase and replace any passive on the tree.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McFrugal posted:

How did you make flicker strike do zero dps and have such a low attack speed?

Very carefully.

If you listen very closely you'll hear a full explanation of the build and how it works.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Nov 27, 2020

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I suddenly heard the voice over and thought I had finally gone insane

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

The passive skill tree is also corrupted.

entire passive tree conquered by vaal historic

e. just looked up the wiki on historic jewels and goddamn lol at this game

quote:

Players can obtain a non-unique Timeless Jewel by corrupting five unique Timeless Jewels into rares, then selling five corrupted rare Timeless Jewel to a vendor for an uncorrupted rare. Since not every corruption outcome is a rare, players need to vaal, at minimum, five Timeless jewels to use this vendor recipe.

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 27, 2020

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Now I wanna play Ele

gently caress

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wuxi posted:

Now I wanna play Ele

gently caress

As someone who's played at least one every league since Prophecy League...

Don't.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
What's all the fuss about golementalist?
Liege of primordial makes golems ele immune, chaos golem gives pdr and life, stone gives life and regen and carrions are the main dps. Add zombies and spectres + ag for carrion buff (10 non golem minions for 50% more damage from carrions).
And its 4 golems, bare naked (tree plus gems) it can be up to 500k dps each carrion. Woke gems almost double that, cold iron points or clayshapers, cluster jewels, anima set - these builds can do more than 100m dps.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is nothing inherently wrong with Elementalist DPS, it has never been the issue. The fact that Necro can do the same/more is what underwhelms an Ascendancy entirely dedicated to it.

Both Ascendancies scale DPS like a startup showing profit slides during an investor's presentation. They all go up to infinity.

But Necro with all the bonuses can have more DPS per golem enough to make up for it even with 2 less golems, plus an easier time gearing up because of the curve being generally smoother, plus Bone Barrier. You also get a safety margin for your Spectres/AGs since they get the level and HP bonuses, and having a lot more life and life regen. In fact you can have like 100% more life regen just from the ascendancy bonus to level/life going through the life > es, es > life regen % conversion, it's insane.

So at the end of the day you can deal (slightly) more damage outside of the Ultra Insane builds, you have at least the same EHP or more, can have at least 60% more HP up to almost twice life/life regen on your minions, enough to make up for the lack of elemental immunity. I think ironically if your Golem cap is high Necro gets the advantage in general, even with the extra margin for more Golem buffs as Ele.

And ultimately that's really the point. Elementalist is not bad for Golems, it just suffers from being an Ascendancy with pretty much only two points if you're playing Softcore, three if you're playing Hardcore, and sacrificing a lot of QoL for a marginal boost to Golem damage at a point that if we're being honest it sort of doesn't matter, 40m vs 100m is kinda the same for all intents and purposes, if you want to get wild numbers there's a 60m Carrion Golem Necro guide right now too. You can keep scaling Elementalist to infinity, or you can just play Necro.

The absolutely bananas buff from Chaos Golem is nice though.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 27, 2020

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
if i recall correctly, the removal of elemental proliferation was almost purely a practical change because this game can't loving handle proliferation in the loving slightest, and for proof of that play a loving poison build with a bino's

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
"can't handle" in what way, i definitely played a burn profil ele in blight and it worked fine?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Truga posted:

"can't handle" in what way, i definitely played a burn profil ele in blight and it worked fine?

the calculations for big rear end end game mobs in maps leaves an extremely noticable stutter while mapping

like it's not just me; i asked someone with a $3000 pc if my bino's BV build ran like poo poo because of my bad pc or the servers, and he said it lagged like hell on his pc

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ele Prolif was without any doubt super broken and had to be nerfed.
It was also the only thing in the elementalists arsenal worth a drat and now they're left with nothing.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
here, i found it; this jousis video is (admittedly, taking it to its extreme) an example of the game crapping out on proliferate calculations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWyV0kIp5n4&t=133s

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erulisse posted:

What's all the fuss about golementalist?
Liege of primordial makes golems ele immune, chaos golem gives pdr and life, stone gives life and regen and carrions are the main dps. Add zombies and spectres + ag for carrion buff (10 non golem minions for 50% more damage from carrions).
And its 4 golems, bare naked (tree plus gems) it can be up to 500k dps each carrion. Woke gems almost double that, cold iron points or clayshapers, cluster jewels, anima set - these builds can do more than 100m dps.

right but do me a quick guesstimate on how much that costs normally lol. just use a gg set of uniques guys,

anyway the real problem isnt golems, which are fine. it's that it's an ascendancy with only one fuckin tree. the only other node worth a drat is the herald one which is only OK. the reflect immunity is ok but the leech it adds is useless and just lol at conflux in general.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Craig K posted:

the calculations for big rear end end game mobs in maps leaves an extremely noticable stutter while mapping

like it's not just me; i asked someone with a $3000 pc if my bino's BV build ran like poo poo because of my bad pc or the servers, and he said it lagged like hell on his pc

yeah that's true, my build was a 1 click wonder where i'd shoot a scourge arrow and it cleared 5 screens of T16 trash basically instantly. if you even remotely rely on attacking more than once, server will choke real quick lol

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Thanks Elen for thorough explanation!
FWIW I tried ~6 different witch minion builds (thanks Traxis for all the regret orbs!) with different investments and did enjoy necro ascendancy more. Elementalist is pure dps and the more harmonies you throw at it (along with amount of golems), the better the dps. Totally a softcore build (these rip clips of gam3report1 from ziz gauntlets are on his golementalist build).
But yeah now its obvious to me how its a deadend ascendancy.

Prolif chat:
Stopped playing the walking candle build (vengeance self-ignite w/ ignite proliferation and ele prolif) because of stutters and lags. And the most interesting thing that some of these are actually server side. Playing off server prime time (like 4am EU time on EU server) reduces the rubberbanding and 'time dilation' (slow-mo-catch up cycles) but does not get rid of these. Dense maps like red beachheads still lag heavily. And it is not gfx, dynamic resolution doesn't kick in at all. Sad, its a fun build.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I had a herald of agony guardian back in betrayal and used poison-chance cyclone to max out the herald, I actually had to make sure I lowered my poison chance because once I passed a certain threshold and came closer to 100% chance to poison the game wouldn't be able to handle all the poison calculations going off and would lag until the poisoned enemies died.

Removing a single 5% chance to poison jewel from the build would be a VERY noticable difference between playable and unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The biggest drawback of ignite prolif nobody talks about is that as things are now, you probably won’t have corpse destruction, which means your build is guaranteed to be mediocre at best