Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Keiya posted:

The difference is that in SS13 they were actually shipping snippets of the song, rather than providing a way to play arbitrary music.

the frustrating thing is that a 5-second clip from a song for the purposes of a comedy game is extremely clearly fair use under any modern copyright system, even the terrible and lovely ones, but corporate domination of the internet has reached such a high tide that it doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Keiya posted:

The difference is that in SS13 they were actually shipping snippets of the song, rather than providing a way to play arbitrary music.

Oh I know - I meant to follow on from what a couple of people suggested and if we could implement the same kind of "playable instrument" function (no idea how feasible in byond) surely it wouldn't be an issue to provide premade macros to play these beloved tunes on said instruments

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Jazerus posted:

the frustrating thing is that a 5-second clip from a song for the purposes of a comedy game is extremely clearly fair use under any modern copyright system, even the terrible and lovely ones, but corporate domination of the internet justice system has reached such a high tide that it doesn't matter

The one who wins in these things is usually the one who can afford to pay lawyers throughout a battle of attrition.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh I know - I meant to follow on from what a couple of people suggested and if we could implement the same kind of "playable instrument" function (no idea how feasible in byond) surely it wouldn't be an issue to provide premade macros to play these beloved tunes on said instruments

Pick a tempo value and notes order. When you use the sax or other instruments it plays that.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
ss13 being entirely serverside will cause any music you play like that to come out disjointed and out of tempo. the player piano already accepts some form of programmed music and it makes a decent makeshift lag measurement tool

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Zamujasa posted:

ss13 being entirely serverside will cause any music you play like that to come out disjointed and out of tempo. the player piano already accepts some form of programmed music and it makes a decent makeshift lag measurement tool

So then why can't all of the instruments work like the player piano?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Re:Copyright

Reminder that youtube-dl suffered a DMCA takedown from the RIAA and was removed from GitHub for 2 weeks until the EFF's lawyers stepped in to help and they didn't actually have any copyrighted content anywhere in their codebase. It's just a tool that could potentially be used to download copyrighted music.

The DMCA is a very real and good reason to remove unlicensed copyrighted assets from a codebase no matter how much it sucks.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Plastik posted:

So then why can't all of the instruments work like the player piano?

nobody did it yet. :shrug:

e: and the moment it is done, someone will manufacture 500 saxophones and have the entire station blasting out a lovely, out-of-tune megalovania

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im gonna play this stupid game again

Shions of Qud

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Really dumb thought that probably either doesn't work or is pretty hard to properly implement: One idea I had is that on top of playing whatever notes you wanna plink on, you can have a text-field that accepts whatever form of input in textform would let a program turn it into music using that instrument. The idea being that if a player has figured out how to play yakety sax or whatever with the system they can just copy and paste it in there, hit play and there it goes. And it might fix the server lag issue by having the server not send each note one by one, but by actually just sending the entire text file to each nearby player and converting it on their end so it plays the music as intended. For the sake of not having people stuck with 10 hour long cacophonys of someone just pasting the John Galt speech into the interpreter there might have to be a size limit or something though

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that's not how byond works. the client is really light in terms of what it actually supports without constant updates from the server.

this is also why things like the ui are horribly laggy feeling: even things like the hover effects require a server round-trip

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Yeah, the client is really, *really* dumb. What you described is how most games do it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Zamujasa posted:

even things like the hover effects require a server round-trip
:vincefrog: byond

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i added the new manufacturer ui a while ago. as part of that i had to make the server send over all of the image files that it uses.

rather than doing a quick batch, it sends each one, one by one, with a round trip each time. all of this silently blocks any other sends to the client, like popup windows for joining a round or editing your character.

there's no way to detect that this process is taking a while or is finished. in the mean time the client is more or less nonfunctional until it's complete.

supposedly this will be made better in version 514, sometime next decade

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

crossposting from the dead by daylight thread because this would be a funny mod event

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I've found the character editor pop up can take 30s-1.5 minutes to pop up sometimes, I've had it where I couldn't properly do any changes being in there from countdown start to roundstart and have enough time to do even small edits before the round started. It's pretty intense.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Justin Credible posted:

I've found the character editor pop up can take 30s-1.5 minutes to pop up sometimes, I've had it where I couldn't properly do any changes being in there from countdown start to roundstart and have enough time to do even small edits before the round started. It's pretty intense.

Sorry. It should be a lot faster if you've connected in the pre-round stage. I've been waiting for 514 to make it less poo poo for a few months now. :(

Ruzihm posted:

crossposting from the dead by daylight thread because this would be a funny mod event

This is peak SS13

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

so why didn't the illegal crime music clips ever stutter and is there any way to pregenerate the tune as a whole first? (as in paste code - > make temp.mp3 - > send to client)

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Zamujasa posted:

Sorry. It should be a lot faster if you've connected in the pre-round stage. I've been waiting for 514 to make it less poo poo for a few months now. :(

It's okay, just pointing out how absolutely brutal it can get. Even when you pop it open sometimes in can hang for 30+ seconds there to make any changes, too.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
stuff being slow after the first thing opens isn't the fault of the ui changes, it's just the server being poo poo. byond is remarkably bad at that sort of thing

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Ruzihm posted:

just give Pyramid Head a mop soaked in prions or chlorine trifluoride or SPIDERS and he is ready to massacre clean up the station!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

T-man posted:

so why didn't the illegal crime music clips ever stutter and is there any way to pregenerate the tune as a whole first? (as in paste code - > make temp.mp3 - > send to client)
Yeah I was wondering if this was an option but I'm totally out of my depth here. Starting to understand why it's such a frustrating issue at least - while I'd err on the side of leaving it in I totally understand the cautious approach.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The music clips didn't stutter because they were very long singular sound clips. Like if fart.wav was 10 seconds long.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

T-man posted:

There's a built-in way for pre-cached sound files to be played in clients, but no built in way for sound files to be generated. That'd require the server actually running a process that creates the file locally, then plays that file, then deletes the file afterward. As far as I've seen, BYOND doesn't have the ability to create mp3s/wavs. If it theoretically did, there would be a large delay between the request for the sound to be played and the sound actually playing, since the sounds that are played are pre-downloaded resources.

The only sounds/songs that aren't pre-downloaded resources are when an admin can select a YouTube video to be played as a sound in the background, and that's just because BYOND uses a hidden browser window to play it out of sight iirc.

Long and short, BYOND can't do that and if it could it'd strain it's tiny heart.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

Victory Position posted:

just give Pyramid Head a mop soaked in prions or chlorine trifluoride or SPIDERS and he is ready to massacre clean up the station!

This would be a fun mode. Make PHead lose power the more filthy a station becomes. So people are encouraged to mess poo poo up to help make PHead killable.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
My only issue with Janitor Pyramid Head is that Pyramid Head represented James Sunderland's subconscious guilt and desire to be punished for killing his wife, and such concepts as "guilt", "remorse", "regret", and "justified consequences for one's actions" are wholly anathema to the mindset of SS13. It just doesn't make sense from a narrative standpoint. :pseudo:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Jyramid Head is the materialized hatred of all janitors, bought to life due to one too many goddamn greysuits deliberately bleeding everywhere

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Dieting Hippo posted:

There's a built-in way for pre-cached sound files to be played in clients, but no built in way for sound files to be generated. That'd require the server actually running a process that creates the file locally, then plays that file, then deletes the file afterward. As far as I've seen, BYOND doesn't have the ability to create mp3s/wavs. If it theoretically did, there would be a large delay between the request for the sound to be played and the sound actually playing, since the sounds that are played are pre-downloaded resources.

The only sounds/songs that aren't pre-downloaded resources are when an admin can select a YouTube video to be played as a sound in the background, and that's just because BYOND uses a hidden browser window to play it out of sight iirc.

Long and short, BYOND can't do that and if it could it'd strain it's tiny heart.

yeah playing a youtube video's audio is the server making a http request to a webserver that spawns a process to yt-dl the audio, convert it, and then ping the byond server with "hey your new audio file is here: spacefar.ts/rickroll.mp3", and then the byond server then sends a message to each client's chat browser window saying "put this url in an audio element and start it"

if you try to do that with generated music, you either
- have a long delay before the music/sound starts playing, because it has to generate it before it plays it (the first time)
- create tons of unused music files for every time someone sets up an instrument, so it can be dispatched when played

byond: there are no winners

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a year+ ago i actually managed to hack up some poo poo that would put an iframe in the chat window that would load an audio stream of the admin voice chat, encoded by someone's discord bot. it was horrible. but it did work. every so often we'd have to send another fake message to everyone containing the updated iframe, since new people who joined or people who disconnected wouldn't have it.

byond is like a thing where there are a lot of solutions to any given problem, but every solution is terrible

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

So, what does that mean for the occasional admin-played music during rounds? Was all that actually in the server files, and has all that been removed?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

T-man posted:

Jyramid Head is the materialized hatred of all janitors, bought to life due to one too many goddamn greysuits deliberately bleeding everywhere

He pities the bartender and wishes an incomprehensible death on the chef.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Jyramid head wishes to punish you all for the horrors of poo.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

So, what does that mean for the occasional admin-played music during rounds? Was all that actually in the server files, and has all that been removed?

there are three ways to play music

a. the music is part of the 'resource package' that is sent to every client (the currently 100+ mb blob of images and sound effects you download at the start). all of this is done before the game even starts. these are the only ones stored in the online repository.

b. a sound file is uploaded to the game directly, then regurgitated to every client with a play instruction. this is the one being used for pretty much anything not on youtube. you can tell it's this if the way it sounds changes as you move around or whenever the game decides to update the sound environment, since it plays through the game world. this is the one used most often for short admin sound effects or mod/midi/etc files. these are basically sent out to clients immediately and the server doesn't store it anywhere appreciable

c. an admin pushes the "play this youtube music" button. a non-byond setup gets that music, puts it on a webserver, and then tells the browser in the game client "hey, play this audio". you can tell it's this because it isn't affected by any of the in-game effects (and often it will show up as different entry in the volume mixer). this generally only supports youtube

the "nuke round" music, for example, is just a mod file. in my collection it's "UnreaL ][ / PM", 2ND_PM.S3M

Bieeanshee posted:

Jyramid head wishes to punish you all for the horrors of poo.

i've actually been running a 2010 gooncode server for over a month just from not bothering to shut it down. it still has poo :ssh:

Zamujasa fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 6, 2020

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
besides the poo, everyone should play the old code once in a while to appreciate how much the game has improved

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
but seriously bring back poo

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
unironically some kind've antag who gets more benefit for murking specific people based on their actions would rule. Like whenever someone makes a mess or drops litter they get a bad boy point and you can whack them and suck their bad boy points from their fresh corpse for POWER.

Problem is its very difficult to attribute results to individuals on ss13.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I feel like what'd be more thematically appropriate is just a regular caution A-Frame sign with eyeholes drilled through it worn over the Janitor's head.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
once again i find myself needing the Space Wizard Trial chatlog if anyone has it handy

e: apparently this was the 3rd last thing i posted so ill just go look for it

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So is asking help in this thread ok?