Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm not sure how you can really separate discussions about gender politics in a cyberpunk game from gameplay without talking about purely technical poo poo. The punk genre is inherently political and cyberpunk is queer coded as gently caress and a lot of people are finding that out the hard way that the newest AAA title is pretty queer and political in places and that the queer folk of the LGBTQ+ community are also pretty political and they have expectations too as they consume the genre and play games too.

Good luck separating the two.

Its really not hard. One place to talk about quests and mechanics and stuff. One for dick chat.

I fully agree 2 threads sounds great, but i think in 30 hours it probably won't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1336389181988343812

zhar
May 3, 2019

i preordered today after vacillating for weeks as i always figured preordering is for rubes, this bug talk has got me worried. if it turns out to be a mess boy will i be kicking myself

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Sorry, I thought you were serious when you said you "want to be" female. If all you meant was that you want to look pretty, that's okay too! :)

Ahhh, just in the game, I thought it was funny everyone was doing all the usual (still valid) excuses people use when they want to play a different gender in a game like they prefer the voice acting or they want something different from being a man/woman all the time in real life.

Me? I just want to play a girl character, I like choosing their clothes and hair. I just want to be pretty! Might go both boobs and penis this time though, would be an interesting experience.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Simone Magus posted:

What? No I didn't? :confused:

I'm literally the first person who would say that clothing shouldn't be gendered. I say that all the time!

You kinda did, but I think the whole thing was really just a misunderstanding because you thought they were saying they wanted to be a woman where I and others interpreted it as saying "I want to be a woman in game, because out of game I never wear frilly dresses" which is a subtle but significant difference.

Vorik posted:

I don't think people calling out your weirdly aggressive posts is thread making GBS threads. You should post less like an idiot.

But this really isn't helping, there's no need to crucify her.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

What? No I didn't? :confused:

I'm literally the first person who would say that clothing shouldn't be gendered. I say that all the time!

I mean you kind of did

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

zhar posted:

i preordered today after vacillating for weeks as i always figured preordering is for rubes, this bug talk has got me worried. if it turns out to be a mess boy will i be kicking myself

Preordering doesn't even have the brainworm argument of getting bonuses this time, unless you want to buy a samurai hoodie (fair). All in all you messed up

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

rap music posted:

being an rear end in a top hat behind the Shield of Correct Opinion is extremely counter productive

not necessarily the case here (i don't really know or care), but yeah this drives me crazy and is super counterproductive

e:good news on the seizures, surprised this wasnt caught months ago

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Men can be fem too, normalize men wearing frilly dresses

Trans is a little bit more than just that

Simone Magus posted:

Cool, a cis guy telling a trans person what is and isn't trans

Lol great thread

you did. it's okay, people know where you're coming from, but you responded strongly to Zaphod42's post and you probably owe them an apology

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Xachariah posted:

Me? I just want to play a girl character, I like choosing their clothes and hair.

Definitely always go with the option that has the cooler clothes and hair :hai:

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

But this really isn't helping, there's no need to crucify her.

I got called an idiot I've been crucified lmao

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

dragonshardz posted:

It's more of a missed opportunity slash CDPR half-assing it. Being able to select vocal tone and pronouns independently of one another at chargen would be an extra step forward in representation.

CDPR could have also gone for the extra credit move of non-gendered pronouns and a specifically enby vocal tone - but again, one part missed opportunity to one part half-assed representation.

This isn't to say that decoupling body from gender in a big AAA game even a little bit is a good move, just that there's opportunity to do even better.

I’ve seen people excusing the lack of gender neutral pronouns by saying “but the Polish language is gendered!” Which, based off a quick google search seems to be the case but also the language seems to have gender neutral words, not sure how it applies to the greater language. How do gender neutral people refer to themselves in Polish? I’m completely ignorant of this (also it’s a bad excuse).

Linking the gender to voice is stupid and I 100% expect there to be a day 1 mod to change that since it should be a simple flip of a switch. They should have just had pronouns be a separate option in creation.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

zhar posted:

Looks like youre a corpo rube buddy. Welcome to the club.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

zhar posted:

Cancel the pre-order and wait a week.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Good response

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Vorik posted:

I got called an idiot I've been crucified lmao

I think it's all settled now. we can leave it alone now :) what lifepath are you planning on going first?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's a fast moving thread, people don't read nuance as well as they do under normal circumstances. Sorry to surprise this forum of mostly elderly people who have been on forums all their lives with this fact

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You should all log off for a couple days

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

The Last Call posted:

I don't remember if there were any patches for two and three when they released or not but I played them just fine. Never saw any bugs. Never had any issues.

Later CDPR did make changes that helped some issues people had but I was never one of those people. I played the games and loved them as they were.

The original Witcher I could not play for some months because my laptop at the time was incapable of handling it, by that time I could play it I assume it had patches.

W3 had pretty significant bug fixes and content changes post launch. I know people like to go 'lol walkspeed', but 1.0 had a lot of issues with animation priority jank and queued actions/button presses leading to situations where there was upwards of a 5 second delay between hitting a button and your character actually doing it because it's still playing the animation of him slowing to a stop or him trying to line up correctly to get on his horse, ect. Originally it was designer intent that the animations be more deliberate but they specifically walked back on it after the feedback of 1.0.

Edit: W3 Geralt also turned around with the grace of a garbage truck too and it made precision movement more difficult than it should have been.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 8, 2020

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Isn't this a future hellscape nightmare where we ruined the Earth and organize in small areas dominated by massive supercities? Isn't it probably true that as a society we didn't master gender relations and sexual issues?

And that would be an interesting thing to explore. Problem is, the game appears to not do that. It appears to be all superficial with no real understanding of the issues.
You would think with how much a game set in cyberpunk universe would maybe explore transhumanism and what transgenderism actually means when you can just swap body parts like it ain't no thing but instead they just threw dildos everywhere, slapped a trans sticker on the back of a car, and called it good.

Edit: honestly I don't know why they've signal boosted the being trans positive and the ability to pick your genitalia if they implemented it so poorly and meaningless-ly. Is it all just to make up for those lousy tweets?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 8, 2020

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you did. it's okay, people know where you're coming from, but you responded strongly to Zaphod42's post and you probably owe them an apology

That's a fair point. It's just discouraging when people keep "responding strongly" to me and others rather than having a good faith discussion

Sorry zaphod! I like Douglas Adams too! :)

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Show yourself, coward! I will never log off!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'll log off in 35 hours but probably not

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

I know where they're coming from. Maybe it's just low self esteem or something but I know i'm not the super action hero so I don't really see rpg characters as 'me'. I'm just the puppeteer. If a game has a full character designer then it's an opportunity to come up with a backstory and to make a character. I never make 'myself'.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Bust Rodd posted:

It turns out the true Idiocracy was the forums all along...

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm logging in, to Night City in a couple days

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Not wanting to make your character yourself is fine. Claiming to not understand why other people want to makes you a moron, because it's the most basic human impulse imaginable. It's literally representation, in the most specific sense possible.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

stratdax posted:

And that would be an interesting thing to explore. Problem is, the game appears to not do that. It appears to be all superficial with no real understanding of the issues.
You would think with how much a game set in cyberpunk universe would maybe explore transhumanism
and what transgenderism actually means when you can just swap body parts like it ain't no thing but instead they just threw dildos everywhere, slapped a trans sticker on the back of a car, and called it good.

I have hope it may still explore some. Some reviewers said the side-quests were filler and lame and beelined the story, but other reviewers wrote gushing reviews of the side-quests and included stories like one where you help a disillusioned corpo lady team up with a group of hookers to buy out a strip club and manage it themselves.

The game has just so much content and lots of reviewers are rushing through to post their review, so call be naive but I'm holding out hope we get some cool transhumanist stories in the side quests.

Simone Magus posted:

That's a fair point. It's just discouraging when people keep "responding strongly" to me and others rather than having a good faith discussion

Sorry zaphod! I like Douglas Adams too! :)

You were responding pretty strongly yourself ;) but its cool. As you may have seen I have a bit of a reputation on these here forums myself, but the irony is that I'm actually always engaging in good faith discussion and I never troll, I just myself sometimes get a little heated and passionate and also really enjoy deep dives on controversial subjects which tends to make most people dogpile on me and or write me off as a troll.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Good, now add more dicks.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it's all settled now. we can leave it alone now :) what lifepath are you planning on going first?

Gonna be a dude who gets crucified for betraying the corpos

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lieutenant Dan posted:

This is why I enjoy playing lady characters in games too, it's honestly refreshing/interesting to see the story from a different perspective than your average straightwhitedude videogameprotagonist

Femshep best Shep.

zhar
May 3, 2019

i bought on gog and reading up on their refund policy looks like i'm good to refund up to 30 days after the release even if i play it. they seem like a consumer friendly company, i almost feel bad for paying only 30 bux through a vpn for it.

as for the other chat, if i can look down and admire the boobs or go 3rd person and admire the rear end i might play female. otherwise i've always found the straight white male characters most relatable.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Palpek posted:

I demand an entire field of dicks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hope they delay the game to fix this

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

Ice Phisherman posted:

Femshep best Shep.

Femshep Forever, plus her voice actor is really good, especially on the Renegade options

edit: I'm actually one of those folks who gets pukey during flashing lights, so I am very glad they're coming up with a permanent solution because I want to play the cybergame, dammit

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

thekeeshman posted:

Not wanting to make your character yourself is fine. Claiming to not understand why other people want to makes you a moron, because it's the most basic human impulse imaginable. It's literally representation, in the most specific sense possible.

Ah, but what if I am literally the dumbest poster to every touch a computer? What then?

Checkmate, samurai. :smugdog:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Palpek posted:

the braindance sequence is instead two floppy dildos beaning you over the head

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

Ah, but what if I am literally the dumbest poster to every touch a computer? What then?

Checkmate, samurai. :smugdog:

Speaking of which, I hope this game lets you roleplay as a total dumbass like every good RPG since fallout does

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/jeffbakalar/status/1336355016521748483

No junk system :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer posted:

I am ready to play the game nowww alreadyyyy *shaking in chair intensifies*