Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

on ultra. these idiots.... check the lower cards on a reasonable setting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

gently caress SNEEP posted:

I'm shocked at the amount of chicken little-ing from people not being able to run the game at 4k ultra. The game will still look good at lower settings, it's not the end of the world.

is it really chicken littling when you're discussing the purchase of a purely luxury item, that tbh none of us needed?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I love you console players, much respect, but your standards for "it looked pretty good on the Series X" are just not gonna be all that helpful for those of us who spend too much money on PC!!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

kloa posted:

Gaming at 1080p in 2020 :laffo:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

66.24% of steam users.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are the two numbers with/without RT or min/avg frame rate?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Honestly I think nobody will know what settings make any sense until Digital Foundry does their full breakdown with the day 1 patch and drivers.

There is probably at least 1 setting that costs 30 FPS for 1% image quality gain when you move it from Ultra to High or High to Medium. Everyone one of these dumb games seems to have one.

People would turn on 4K supersampling in Witcher 2 and screech about how the game was unoptimized

Never fails

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Everything I've seen on streams so far indicates most of this game is sitting in a chair as 2 npcs talk nearby, followed by the same drive->shoot 1 guy->back to chair loop. Like 4+ hours of this after the 20 minute intro based on your life path, which is never mentioned again.

You forgot the part where the mission scripting breaks or you get stuck in a wall and have to reload. It's key to the gameplay loop.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the 590 manages 30 on ultra? great!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I said come in! posted:

There is an in-game ad it shows Mars as a terraformed world that strongly implies it could be future DLC.

Russians have been there since the 2010's, Europe has had a moonbase on Luna since around then too, and there's a whole space nation of African ex-pats in Low Earth Orbit who seceded from a pan-African economic alliance that turned North Africa into a superpower

I'd love to go to any of these places

..I say as I'm stuck waiting to just go to Night City

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hell it looked great on Series X. Though I'm not sure what that works out to with PC.

Somebody was doing comparison shots between PC ultra and PS5 (which will be virtually identical to Series X) and they're pretty similar indoors. I think the biggest differences are probably going to be outdoors, crowd density, and shadows/reflections.

All to say, if you're on a Series X or PS5 there's probably not a reason to hold back for the "next-gen" patch as they've already clearly done some scaling work on it. I imagine the actual patch, beyond some additional optimization, is probably just going to up crowd density and maybe add in some raytraced reflections.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Aphrodite posted:

I heard if you turn on subtitles it just pulses the phrase "gently caress you, deaf-o."

Thanks!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

I love you console players, much respect, but your standards for "it looked pretty good on the Series X" are just not gonna be all that helpful for those of us who spend too much money on PC!!

I personally don’t understand people who refuse to pay $3800 for a computer that lets me see the reflection of their character in a window. Do they even enjoy video games?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Shoehead posted:

Russians have been there since the 2010's, Europe has had a moonbase on Luna since around then too, and there's a whole space nation of African ex-pats in Low Earth Orbit who seceded from a pan-African economic alliance that turned North Africa into a superpower

I'd love to go to any of these places

..I say as I'm stuck waiting to just go to Night City

That sounds dope as gently caress

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

VanillaGorilla posted:

I play with subs on (because of a sleeping baby and a need to keep my volume low) and while nobody's thrown a grenade at me yet, subs are visible and easy to track while other things are going on and I haven't hard a hard time tracking where damage has been coming from during combat really.

Good to know. Thank you. :)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

kloa posted:

Gaming at 1080p in 2020 :laffo:

I don't have any room for a bigger set up than I already have. :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This game sounds awesome, if you USE YOUR IMAGINATION A BUNCH.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CDPR are not especially known for being accommodating. It doesn't seem very good but the combat is clear enough.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VanillaGorilla posted:

Somebody was doing comparison shots between PC ultra and PS5 (which will be virtually identical to Series X) and they're pretty similar indoors. I think the biggest differences are probably going to be outdoors, crowd density, and shadows/reflections.

All to say, if you're on a Series X or PS5 there's probably not a reason to hold back for the "next-gen" patch as they've already clearly done some scaling work on it. I imagine the actual patch, beyond some additional optimization, is probably just going to up crowd density and maybe add in some raytraced reflections.

That's good to know. I did get the PC version to test out on GeForce...and totally not be able to play during lulls in WFH...but for some reason my wife isn't exactly done with the all two versions of the same game. I actually sent a support update to GOG asking them to hold off on the refund, cause I really am curious with how it works. I just honestly want to know if the Series X from Flight of the Choncords land has the patch baked in or not.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Uh, the 1660ti is RT capable?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That's good to know. I did get the PC version to test out on GeForce...and totally not be able to play during lulls in WFH...but for some reason my wife isn't exactly done with the all two versions of the same game. I actually sent a support update to GOG asking them to hold off on the refund, cause I really am curious with how it works. I just honestly want to know if the Series X from Flight of the Choncords land has the patch baked in or not.

Series X has the "Day 0" patch baked in if you preloaded, according to folks online.

edit: Interestingly, Series X has the option to lock 30 fps and get closer to a locked 4k or favor fps. PS5 apparently only allows you to run in 60 fps mode. Seems weird to only have the option on one platform. I wonder if that's coming from working in XGDK with the scalability requirements across Series S / X, etc.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 9, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

gasman posted:

There's a couple of NPC's in the game with no augmentations, you'd be like that playing the game. More like Amish-punk.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

That sounds dope as gently caress

The kind of joke about Cyberpunk as an rpg setting is that EVERYwhere is better off than the USA, except for possibly Australia and the UK

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I personally don’t understand people who refuse to pay $3800 for a computer that lets me see the reflection of their character in a window. Do they even enjoy video games?

Really though, the difference between Ps5/Xbox and a 3090 with full RT is pretty extreme. I think that one critics comment that "one looks like VR and one looks like a video game" is true. If I were younger I would be compelled to experience it by getting a new PC but I don't care enough anymore.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

on ultra. these idiots.... check the lower cards on a reasonable setting

The venn diagram showing the intersection of people with all that hardware and doing a live stream for benchmarkning, and the people with interest in lower price gpus is pretty small.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are the two numbers with/without RT or min/avg frame rate?

with/wo RT

edit: Also I have put a good number of settings for the pc version on the previous page!

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Zeta Acosta posted:

the 590 manages 30 on ultra? great!

tell me about it! almost gives me hope for my old GTX 970!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Question about crowd density:

Did CDPR come out and say "Lower settings will have less dense crowds"? Or is all of the discussion on "consoles will have lower crowd density" just based off looking at screenshots and the fact that some other game (Hitman maybe) had a crowd density slider?

Secondly, what does it matter? Besides denser crowds maybe giving off a more "city" feel, is there some reason that having more no-name NPCs walking in predetermined circles is a big deal? If there is differences in density, obviously none of those NPCs do anything or they wouldn't be able to remove them without causing problems. It seems like people who are worried about crowd density are the same people who would rather die than play the game at anything less than 4k/120FPS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shoehead posted:

The kind of joke about Cyberpunk as an rpg setting is that EVERYwhere is better off than the USA, except for possibly Australia and the UK

Ehh going by the Rough Guide to the UK I'd probably say UK is better. Though it depends on your tolerance for civil liberties vs security.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Did CDPR come out and say "Lower settings will have less dense crowds"? Or is all of the discussion on "consoles will have lower crowd density" just based off looking at screenshots and the fact that some other game (Hitman maybe) had a crowd density slider?

Secondly, what does it matter? Besides denser crowds maybe giving off a more "city" feel, is there some reason that having more no-name NPCs walking in predetermined circles is a big deal? If there is differences in density, obviously none of those NPCs do anything or they wouldn't be able to remove them without causing problems. It seems like people who are worried about crowd density are the same people who would rather die than play the game at anything less than 4k/120FPS.

I mean that's the essence of the conversation. Crowd denisty is just an immersion thing given the city environment. Probably more of an immersion thing than RT or something.

But yeah it doesn't like fundamentally change the way you play the game but neither do volumetric clouds and we still have options for things like that.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

This game sounds awesome, if you USE YOUR IMAGINATION A BUNCH.

Open and close your eyes in one second intervals while playing. You'll be able to fill in the blanks with whatever game you want it to be, improving your experience by 50%.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So the base is 1080p Ultra, DLSS on or off?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gasman posted:

The 1000 and 1600 series cards don't have RT hardware, but they have a software RT implementation in their drivers

It's extremely slow and almost never worth using

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Shammypants posted:

Really though, the difference between Ps5/Xbox and a 3090 with full RT is pretty extreme. I think that one critics comment that "one looks like VR and one looks like a video game" is true. If I were younger I would be compelled to experience it by getting a new PC but I don't care enough anymore.

I exclusively gamed on a PC from 2005-2012, but in my older age I guess I just really don't give a poo poo about graphics. Even when I had a brand new top of the line PC I was literally using it to play WoW. I'm the guy that has to squint to see a difference between graphics even in side-by-side comparisons. I was watching videos on ray tracing and while I guess its cool, and if I had a lot more money maybe I'd buy a brand new computer, but I just know that the second I start actually playing a game and not just looking at screenshots I will stop noticing any of that stuff.

It must be my peasant eyes, but I have only played PS4 games since 2015 and pretty much everything that has been released since then I have been like "goddamn these graphics are incredible". Ghost of Tsushima on my base model PS4 may be the most beautiful game I've ever played. So it seems to me that, much like with women, my low standards only make me enjoy everything that much more.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The crowd density is a sticking point because they wowed people with the 2018 gameplay vid that showed this:

and everyone was saying "wow finally a open world city game with realistic crowds!"

and in the later videos and trailers the amount lowered by 3 or 4 times.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

So the base is 1080p Ultra, DLSS on or off?

queeb gave us the link, rewind and see it yourself :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dSeaCDZGeE

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a couple of NPC's in the game with no augmentations, you'd be like that playing the game. More like Amish-punk.

:downs:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

how is the 2080 super better at RT than the 3070 @ 1080p?

is he using the latest drivers?

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

We've seen plenty dense crowds in places and times they are appropriate

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't tell if that person's hair is glitched or if that's just some wacky dumb futuristic haircut front and to the left :v:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to comedy benchmark this on my PC i-3500k and 1050 TI. I'll be shocked if it even boots and can get 10 fps on low.

If anyone wants a laugh later let me know and I'll try and take some screen caps.

I was impressed to get a random NPC T-posing when going to the first location. I never usually get bugs like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

they should just say some people buy glitch-like augs as a fashion statement, and not need to do any more qa. bingo bango