Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Slimy Hog posted:

Comments like this make me laugh "I put HUNDREDS of hours into this game, but it's disappointing"

Like your alternate reality post of “How can you judge a game without thoroughly playing it?”

I did. It was disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

so did anyone here experience the bug in the "expand your base" quest line in which the overseer gets stuck in a loop and says his contract is over in the middle of the exocraft part? the quest is stuck in my log and the marker says to return to the overseer.

I've seen at least a dozen people across the internet say they have the same bug, bumping their threads for a solution every few months

I really don't want to use the same editor to delete the quest and have to do it all over again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vasler posted:

I wish exocrafts were faster. They move so slowwwww.

Upgrades can fix that. A Pilgrim or Nomad may not have any room left for inventory once you max out their upgrades but they are plenty fast and great to drive around in. The Colossus actually becomes fun to drive. The Minotaur always kinda sucks when you need to turn but at least you can Hulk jump everywhere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What do you need inventory slots in your exocraft for when you got 80(?) slots in your pockets?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Zesty posted:

What do you need inventory slots in your exocraft for when you got 80(?) slots in your pockets?

Unfortunately, mining lasers on exocraft can't send poo poo directly to your pockets. Which is why I only use a mining laser at all on the Colossus, Minotaur, and Nautilon when I feel like mass gathering of underbrush while trucking around on the surface.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thundarr posted:

Summon an exocraft and do sick jumps off cliffs.
That works, need to upgrade things because mine are still super slow. I ended up noting how many minutes it would take then venturing out in one direction mining, digging, etc until I was at about the halfway point then do a big lazy loop back. Exocraft are slow enough I didn't get too far away.

Was going to wire up my base with the hot spot generator thing but it's too far away. Is there a way to extend the size of your base by placing batteries or something cheap right at the limit? Think I'm around 650u from the hot spot, not worth moving this base as it's my first one.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

That works, need to upgrade things because mine are still super slow. I ended up noting how many minutes it would take then venturing out in one direction mining, digging, etc until I was at about the halfway point then do a big lazy loop back. Exocraft are slow enough I didn't get too far away.

Was going to wire up my base with the hot spot generator thing but it's too far away. Is there a way to extend the size of your base by placing batteries or something cheap right at the limit? Think I'm around 650u from the hot spot, not worth moving this base as it's my first one.

Normally the limit is 300u from your base computer, but if you place an object outside this 300u limit, this built item "extends" the area you can build in a small bubble around the built item. So you can plonk down wooden walls every so often to extend your building perimeter until you get to the hotspot. You can sort of think of your base computer with a 300u "bubble" around it, and each time you build something outside that bubble it's like placing a new 10u bubble centered on that object. So you build a bubble tower to your location.

Once there you can just stack the generators on top of themselves to get thousands of MW of power for whatever you need to build.

The half-arch structures make excellent utility-pole looking items for running the power back to your base, FYI.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If you're extending towards a mining hotspot you can also use storage nodes on the way to it since you'd probably want to have a pipeline heading back to your base anyway.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I was hoping to get something better as my free freighter but it kept giving me 15 (plus or minus one) slot ships so when it gave me a 19 slot I jumped on it. Of course, the next freighter I save was a 33 slot.

Trying to decide between upgrading my current one or just replacing it down the road. What's the max inventory space for freighters? Also, if I buy a new freighter does it transfer inventory and fleet?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zesty posted:

Like your alternate reality post of “How can you judge a game without thoroughly playing it?”

I did. It was disappointing.

I rarely put hundreds of hours into any game, let alone a game that I don't like.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Slimy Hog posted:

I rarely put hundreds of hours into any game, let alone a game that I don't like.

Well, if you want to think about it like a 4 year old, very well.

I like this game. It's also really underbaked and disappointing. So much lost potential. Or as the original post said:

Zesty posted:

After a couple hundred hours, it's still disappointing. Everything is so same-y. Progression is slow at first and then pointless by mid game. Main quests are bad. Premium currency grind is a slog.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They really should have moved on to a sequel, or their next thing like, 3 updates ago.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Powershift posted:

They really should have moved on to a sequel, or their next thing like, 3 updates ago.

the NEXT thing was a while ago

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This isn't a game that will get a sequel, I feel. They will just expand on it until nobody's playing anymore.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zesty posted:

Well, if you want to think about it like a 4 year old, very well.

I like this game. It's also really underbaked and disappointing. So much lost potential. Or as the original post said:

:rolleyes:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Holy poo poo I had zero problems with how this game ran on my base PS4, but playing on PS5 is crazy. It loads so fast and is so smooth!

Powershift posted:

Most of Hello Games have been working on whatever their next thing is for a while now, it's only a handful of them on NMS now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

marktheando posted:

Holy poo poo I had zero problems with how this game ran on my base PS4, but playing on PS5 is crazy. It loads so fast and is so smooth!

Most of Hello Games have been working on whatever their next thing is for a while now, it's only a handful of them on NMS now.

That just makes it more impressive that they've released so many large, free updates to the game in the last several years. Though I can't imagine new game sales are bringing in much money any more so they can't keep that up indefinitely without making a new product.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
At what point can I really start exploring to my heart content? Got all the way to the anomaly, and now there’s stuff with an Artemis, an Apollo, black holes and poo poo I don’t know. I want to explore the galaxy but it seems I’m stuck in the same two starting systems. I’d go explore but I dread having to come back a billion system if ever I feel like getting back to the story.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Whenever you want. The story mission will just continue from wherever you are in the galaxy, you never have to backtrack.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

John F Bennett posted:

Whenever you want. The story mission will just continue from wherever you are in the galaxy, you never have to backtrack.

Are you sure? When I tried travelling some of them said “destination is in another system” which was the previous one I was in.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They won't dynamically move with you but when you get too far away from them they'll display a red swirl icon and you'll be able to reset their position.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ghostlight posted:

They won't dynamically move with you but when you get too far away from them they'll display a red swirl icon and you'll be able to reset their position.

Oh god. Nice. Time to gently caress off into the deep of space.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Yeah also if you're that worried and you ever run out of warp juice, just hit up a space station and teleport to your base/home system! Also how does keeping multiple ships work? I bought another fighter because it had a sick name, The Hand of Inevitability, and was a Class A. Brought it back to my base, built a second landing pad etc, and had both my ships docked there. Then I quit and started it up again later, and my previous ship was just.... gone. Had to summon it again. Lots of weird little bugs in this game still. Also hate that you have to physically select the other ship to access the inventory, I really feel like theres so much room for improvement in the entire inventory management system.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Iron Lung posted:

Yeah also if you're that worried and you ever run out of warp juice, just hit up a space station and teleport to your base/home system! Also how does keeping multiple ships work? I bought another fighter because it had a sick name, The Hand of Inevitability, and was a Class A. Brought it back to my base, built a second landing pad etc, and had both my ships docked there. Then I quit and started it up again later, and my previous ship was just.... gone. Had to summon it again. Lots of weird little bugs in this game still. Also hate that you have to physically select the other ship to access the inventory, I really feel like theres so much room for improvement in the entire inventory management system.

All ships are stored on your freighter, if you dont have one yet, then its on your invisible freighter and will appear once you have one.
In general you only have 1 ship out at a time.
I mean you can summon them all, but you will have to do it every time.

I would also like to build multiple platforms and have them all at my base, but sadly it doesnt really work like that.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

OgNar posted:

All ships are stored on your freighter, if you dont have one yet, then its on your invisible freighter and will appear once you have one.
In general you only have 1 ship out at a time.
I mean you can summon them all, but you will have to do it every time.

I would also like to build multiple platforms and have them all at my base, but sadly it doesnt really work like that.

Kinda figured, but didn't have time to confirm. It is cool that your storage containers link to your freighter at least!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Iron Lung posted:

Kinda figured, but didn't have time to confirm. It is cool that your storage containers link to your freighter at least!

The matter transporter upgrade for your Freighter is legit the thing 100% most important forever. Since as soon as you build the 10 containers on your freighter and install that upgrade, you can access the freighter storage from anywhere in the system that your freighter is also in. This is way better than the starship version which just extends the range of the ship/exosuit interaction from 50u to 150u.

After that, the exocraft room in the freighter and as long as you're in a system your freighter can warp to, you never have to worry about storage or exocraft ever again.

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

DelphiAegis posted:

The matter transporter upgrade for your Freighter is legit the thing 100% most important forever. Since as soon as you build the 10 containers on your freighter and install that upgrade, you can access the freighter storage from anywhere in the system that your freighter is also in. This is way better than the starship version which just extends the range of the ship/exosuit interaction from 50u to 150u.

After that, the exocraft room in the freighter and as long as you're in a system your freighter can warp to, you never have to worry about storage or exocraft ever again.

Honestly the starship upgrade is so useless. They should vastly extend the range just to help you in the mid-game before you can trick out your freighter.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

DelphiAegis posted:

Oh poo poo, I did not know this was a thing. Will have to look into that!

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Iron Lung posted:

Oh poo poo, I did not know this was a thing. Will have to look into that!

The upgrade modules are "easiest" to get from just attacking other freighters if you can stand the reputation hit for that system enough to get the 5 needed. TBH that's how I ground out the final upgrades for the freighter's hyperdrive as well simply because you need so many and getting 1-4 from a derelict freighter or loving around on a planet for them is boring as hell. And you can't summon your freighter to a system that it doesn't have the hyperdrive upgrade to access.

There is a nice bug still where if you have the freighter beacon and activate it, then put it into your personal refiner in your backpack, and leave it there while you do the derelict, you get to keep it and re-use it later so you only ever have to blow 5mil units once (or just talk to the guy in the anomaly). Not that after a certain point units even mean anything, of course.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 13, 2020

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

DelphiAegis posted:

The upgrade modules are "easiest" to get from just attacking other freighters if you can stand the reputation hit for that system enough to get the 5 needed. TBH that's how I ground out the final upgrades for the freighter's hyperdrive as well simply because you need so many and getting 1-4 from a derelict freighter or loving around on a planet for them is boring as hell. And you can't summon your freighter to a system that it doesn't have the hyperdrive upgrade to access.

There is a nice bug still where if you have the freighter beacon and activate it, then put it into your personal refiner in your backpack, and leave it there while you do the derelict, you get to keep it and re-use it later so you only ever have to blow 5mil units once (or just talk to the guy in the anomaly). Not that after a certain point units even mean anything, of course.

If you pick them off of the NPC freighters (not cargo pods) you don't even get a reputation hit. I would just pick one or two off and then boost away and the sentinel ships don't even catch you.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

moroboshi posted:

If you pick them off of the NPC freighters (not cargo pods) you don't even get a reputation hit. I would just pick one or two off and then boost away and the sentinel ships don't even catch you.

I just blast all the pods off with the ballista and jet away. It’s faster than trying to find which has what and there’s no rep loss. Can always just sell the thousands of asteroid minerals this will net you.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

So I fixed my broken quest with the save editor, it was easy but tedious trial and error reloading the game to see which iteration of the OVERSEER quest it was.

I didn't read any guides and accepted the first free C class freighter. I don't have any other ships in my fleet. If I send my freighter out on missions will it eventually level up to S class?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

hawowanlawow posted:

So I fixed my broken quest with the save editor, it was easy but tedious trial and error reloading the game to see which iteration of the OVERSEER quest it was.

I didn't read any guides and accepted the first free C class freighter. I don't have any other ships in my fleet. If I send my freighter out on missions will it eventually level up to S class?
No, your Freighter doesn't do missions, your Frigates do. Your Frigates will level up as they do missions but it's fairly slow. There is currently no way to increase the class of a Freighter. You can always upgrade to a new higher class of Freighter but this will probably involve 3 - 8 hours of grinding.

My advice is to break up the grind into 2 or 3 hour chunks per day. Much easier to digest with an audiobook, or movie, or podcasts, or Netflix that way. And it gives yourself permission to gently caress off and do something else for a while to keep from going crazy.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

hawowanlawow posted:

Your freighter won't level up, but the frigates (the ships that accompany the freighter and can be sent on missions) will. Why they used two such similar words escapes me.

This actually segues nicely into my question. I got tired of savescumming when I was getting my first freighter, and also ended up with a class C one. I don't regret this, it's served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. Am I correct in that I can do the following to get a new freighter?

1. Find a system that spawns a freighter design I like
2. Teleport out and jump back in until my total number of jumps hits a multiple of 5
3. Save the freighter
4. The captain will offer it at a discounted price
5. Profit

I have enough of an income now that I can afford to buy one of the super nice freighters outright, but if I can get a discount I'd prefer to do it this way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's worth noting that your frigate fleet will follow you if you get a different freighter, so start sending them off to do stuff unless you 100% don't care about frigates. Just hold off on any major renovations to the base area of the freighter or installing freighter upgrades until you find one you like, because those things *won't* carry over to the new one.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Oh, that makes sense from what I read googling it.

The weird thing is I only have the one freighter, and I still got the quest to send it out on an expedition and it set off the timer and I got rewards from it. Guess it still won't upgrade but I'll keep an eye out for a better one :shrug:

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

hawowanlawow posted:

Oh, that makes sense from what I read googling it.

The weird thing is I only have the one freighter, and I still got the quest to send it out on an expedition and it set off the timer and I got rewards from it. Guess it still won't upgrade but I'll keep an eye out for a better one :shrug:

If you are speaking about a frigate, I think your freighter may come with one by default? And it should upgrade - it just takes a few missions.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

moroboshi posted:

If you are speaking about a frigate, I think your freighter may come with one by default? And it should upgrade - it just takes a few missions.

It must have come with it, because I didn't buy one

where do y'all buy your starships? Just stake out the freighter or station landing pads?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hawowanlawow posted:

It must have come with it, because I didn't buy one

where do y'all buy your starships? Just stake out the freighter or station landing pads?

There's more ship throughput at trading posts, but most of the ships I've bought were on stations (don't have to walk as far to sell them for scrap). In general, if you want to get an A or S rank version of a ship that caught your eye, you'll find it faster by waiting near a trading post. If you just want to buy anything A or S rank to flip it for ship inventory slots, just park on a station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Progress report:

Got my freighter. The game really opened up once I figured you don’t have to mind the quests locations to much and explore to your heart content.

Question: are the ships procedurally generated with random parts like the creatures? There are some sleek designs out there. Also saw a loving giant worms on one red planet. Gave me extremely cool Dune vibes. Unfortunately I wasn’t quick enough to scan it and could never see it again. I hope there are more creatures of that crazy size from time to time. Maybe huge octopuses or something on ocean planets.

Bought my first new ship too (an explorer) with money from ruins diving. Who knew tablets and fossils could be worth so much.

Also gently caress sentinels. I haven’t looked at weapons and stuff yet but I assume those are just upgrades from your mining tool yeah?

/edit lol just fell out of my loving freighter right after posting this. Did an 180 and the door behind me had disappeared and I just fell into space to my death. Great.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 16, 2020