Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Simplex posted:

Point of order. Burfict's penalty only put Pittsburgh in long field goal range. Other noted headcase Pacman Jones also picked up a personal foul on the play to make it a chip shot.

I mean, Jeremy Hill just had to Hold Onto The Dang Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I started wondering "what is Vontaze Burfict up to" and whaddayaknow less than a week ago

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local...ior-to-battery/

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GD_American posted:

I started wondering "what is Vontaze Burfict up to" and whaddayaknow less than a week ago

https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local...ior-to-battery/

The dude is clearly mentally ill. The fact that Lewis kept putting him on the field over and over for years and clearly didn't get him the help he needed makes him a piece of poo poo imo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Dude waa super clean and nice off the field while he was here, but he's had SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO many concussions. He had at least 5 I remember and a bunch of "stingers"that looked a whole lot like concussions to this not-a-doctor. I do expect his post-football life to be rough.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

SA2K is posting in this very thread and knows exactly how wrong this take is.

I won't say it, but we all know.

Lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't find the story to corroborate this, But a bunch of people on bengals fan sites are saying that Jim Turner is actually an in-law for Zac Taylor. Married his cousin or something.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't find the story to corroborate this, But a bunch of people on bengals fan sites are saying that Jim Turner is actually an in-law for Zac Taylor. Married his cousin or something.

Turner is Mike Sherman's cousin

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/15/weighing-pros-cons-zac-taylor-hiring-friends-bengals-staff/

quote:

The controversial new offensive line coach, Jim Turner, has been connected to Taylor since they were together at Texas A&M from 2008-2011. Taylor was a graduate assistant at the time, while Turner served as the offensive line coach. The head coach at Texas A&M during this period was Mike Sherman, who also happens to be Taylor’s father-in-law and Turner’s cousin. Turner isn’t the only one who proves how important it is to know the right people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Conor Orr wrote another article about the coaching carousel: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/11/2021-nfl-offseason-head-coach-carousel

More text at the article if you want to read it.

quote:

The names you’ve heard all season

• Robert Saleh, defensive coordinator, 49ers

Saleh already has support from the Michigan state legislature for the Lions job, what else does he need? All joking aside, he would stand out in an interview like that particularly because of his emphasis on culture creation and player engagement, along with his regional ties to the area. The Lions are going to go with the polar opposite of Matt Patricia with this hire, and Saleh will come across as a breath of fresh air—not to mention someone who might be able to engage a fan base in need of a jolt. He is intense, can win a press conference and a year ago was the coordinator of a Super Bowl–bound defense.

• Brian Daboll, offensive coordinator, Bills

For those who believe Josh Allen did not just become Josh Allen, Daboll will become more than just a pleasant curiosity once the Bills are out of contention. There will likely be an opening in Los Angeles featuring a solid young quarterback with tons of promise that makes a lot of sense for someone like Daboll. The same could be said for the opening in Houston, where there is a little bit of familiarity between Daboll and Texans executive vice president Jack Easterby (the pair worked together for a year in Kansas City, but both have roots in the Patriots system).

• Eric Bieniemy, offensive coordinator, Kansas City Chiefs

Some team is going to get itself a fine head coach. One totally unscientific guess as to why he’s still out there? Bieniemy has made the rounds and interviewed a bunch of places. That might lead an owner to wonder if they are missing out on a reason why one of their competitors did not hire Bieniemy. It’s ridiculous, of course. But this is merely an effort to get inside the heads of those who let him go back to Kansas City twice now. Look at how incredibly fun the Chiefs’ offense is. How many times does Andy Reid have to tell reporters and fellow coaches that the creative roots of that system are firmly planted in the mind of Bieniemy?

If you’re looking for youth

One thing to consider before we get to the names: It sounds like we will have a wave of new general managers, after most of them survived last year’s firing purge. It sounds like teams are looking young with their general managers, which could theoretically also mean young with their head coaches. If you give the keys of the organization to a 40-year-old wunderkind, what are the chances he’ll hire a 60-year-old lifelong coordinator? Just food for thought, which makes this section of particular interest.

• Joe Brady, offensive coordinator, Panthers (age 31)
• Brandon Staley, defensive coordinator, Rams (age 38)
• Mike McDaniel, run game coordinator, 49ers (age 37)
• Patrick Graham, defensive coordinator, Giants (age 41)
• Mike LaFleur, pass game coordinator, 49ers (age 33)
• Arthur Smith, offensive coordinator, Titans (age 38)

If you’re looking for experience
• Leslie Frazier, defensive coordinator, Bills
• Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Buccaneers
• Jim Caldwell, former head coach, Lions
• Steve Spagnuolo, defensive coordinator, Chiefs
• Raheem Morris, interim head coach, Falcons
• Dennis Allen, defensive coordinator, Saints
• Matt Eberflus, defensive coordinator, Colts
• Marvin Lewis, former head coach, Bengals
• Jim Harbaugh, head coach, Michigan

If you’re looking for a hire that may shock the field
• Tony Elliott, offensive coordinator, Clemson
• Bill Cowher, legendary Steelers head coach, CBS analyst

If you’re looking in college
• Pat Fitzgerald, head coach, Northwestern
• Matt Campbell, head coach, Iowa State

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orr also has a longer piece on Rams DC Brandon Staley, and calls him the next Sean McVay: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/04/brandon-staley-next-sean-mcvay-head-coach-candidate

quote:

From the outside looking in, it seems like either Staley is on one of the luckiest runs for a young defensive coordinator in recent history, or McVay may have identified the next McVay and hired him so no one else could. If you’re a team looking for a head coach this winter, how do you like those odds?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Please let the Rams keep Staley for a couple more years please

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
let’s hire the Rams uh hmm lemme see qbs coach. what could go wrong

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1338160605686083585?s=21

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1338156788806455298?s=19

Hoo boy

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Orr also has a longer piece on Rams DC Brandon Staley, and calls him the next Sean McVay: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/04/brandon-staley-next-sean-mcvay-head-coach-candidate

I don't know why you don't see more of these understudies for elite coordinators getting hired. Like it's a real tragedy IMO that Wade Phillips didn't generate more guys to run his defense, etc.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

If I was Deshaun and my team hired Brian Schottenheimer as HC, I would immediately demand a trade

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

How the hell does this guy keep getting jobs? Do people see what he has done in the past or just nah?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Do you know what his last name is?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Adun posted:

Do you know what his last name is?

Hughes, not Shotty..................

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

mcmagic posted:

Hughes, not Shotty..................

I'm assuming his pitch goes something like "well I can either find you a coach, or I can unhinge my jaw, either's fine with me hoss"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GD_American posted:

I'm assuming his pitch goes something like "well I can either find you a coach, or I can unhinge my jaw, either's fine with me hoss"

Some serious Fire Marshall Bill energy there

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Who the gently caress even is Jed Hughes? Seems to have had a string of random low level position coach postings in the 70s and 80s? Sure let’s have this dude pick our HC I guess.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Also, the idea that you need to pay this loving clown probably millions of dollars to tell you who the HC candidates are is pretty funny. Every random fan of the team on twitter can tell you that. Rich people LOVE wasting their money.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You could post a twitter poll and get a better recommendation than Schotty lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ehud posted:

You could post a twitter poll and get a better recommendation than Schotty lol

Shotty is like a C- hire at this point. It's not an F. But yes, a twitter poll would probably come up with a better candidate.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ehud posted:

If I was Deshaun and my team hired Brian Schottenheimer as HC, I would immediately demand a trade

He deliberately hitched his wagon to the BOB Texans so his decision making is suspect at best

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

better lock him into a 10 year contract while he's still affordable, Jerry

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Also, the idea that you need to pay this loving clown probably millions of dollars to tell you who the HC candidates are is pretty funny. Every random fan of the team on twitter can tell you that. Rich people LOVE wasting their money.

The Bears kick-started the trend of hiring executive search firms to hire their GMs way back in like 2000, when they wound up hiring Jerry Angelo as the first official GM in team history. Now it's pretty much de rigeur for poorly run teams to engage a search firm for both coaches and executives, if for no other reason than it cuts down on the number of early, first-round interviews.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The NFL is rivaled only by the Democratic Party for nepotism and rewarding mediocrity.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
So. Marrone.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why is Anthony Lynn

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Add another one to the Anthony Lynn sizzle reel

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1338253270364659717

Benne fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 13, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

Add another one to the Antyony Lynn sizzle reel

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1338253270364659717

Remarkable!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Hahahahahahahahaha

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
just lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Note the date

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1336739455223410689?s=19

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

He’s maintaining consistency with the special teams!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

oh well...it's his first day on the job.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Well this is awkward, were really trying to promote minority coaches

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Well this is awkward, were really trying to promote minority coaches

If Lynn is fired as expected, and Crennel and Morris aren't retained as interim guys, Mike Tomlin and Brian Flores will be the only Black head coaches left in the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

If Lynn is fired as expected, and Crennel and Morris aren't retained as interim guys, Mike Tomlin and Brian Flores will be the only Black head coaches left in the league

Bienemy will almost certainly be hired