Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Overeem was a pretty good kickboxer, but his WGP run also had the benefit of some real good luck: Badr Hari was out thanks to his DQ, he fought a Gokhan Saki who'd just broken his hand and extremely should not have been fighting, and Peter Aerts put on an insane effort and took Semmy Schilt out for Overeem, meaning instead of his biggest threat in the tournament he had a final against a 40 year-old he'd already beaten before who'd just gone the distance with the best kickboxer in the world. It's still really goddamn impressive, he just also rolled some really good dice that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowman_McK posted:

He's a fascinating figure. He's the best and worst fighter in every fight he's in. He's had multiple losses where you think 'well, that's it for him' and he comes back. He's had at least two career renaissances/reinventions. I remember someone described as looking like he just realised his career was over when Rothwell knocked him out. He's fought 14 times since then and won ten times. While he had the craziest physique in the UFC (and one of the craziest in sports) he managed to lose to three of the most turd bodied guys in history. Honestly, the Coen brothers couldn't write a more tragi-comic figure than him on their best day.

Random trivia question about him, that large scar on his left cheek, does anyone know which fight he got it in?

poo poo when he first moved up to heavyweight people were rolling their eyes the way we have been at Gian Villante as if that was some long-shot last-ditch career resurrection effort (because he had a reputation for being chinny at 205)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

Overeem was a pretty good kickboxer, but his WGP run also had the benefit of some real good luck: Badr Hari was out thanks to his DQ, he fought a Gokhan Saki who'd just broken his hand and extremely should not have been fighting, and Peter Aerts put on an insane effort and took Semmy Schilt out for Overeem, meaning instead of his biggest threat in the tournament he had a final against a 40 year-old he'd already beaten before who'd just gone the distance with the best kickboxer in the world. It's still really goddamn impressive, he just also rolled some really good dice that night.

so, essentially, good, but unclear exactly how good?

I remember being really impressed with Tyrone Spong in that tournament. He became my favourite kickboxer for a bit before he suffered a bajillion injuries and stopped fighting. And I remember Gokhan Saki looking a bit depleted. Unsurprising since he'd just had that insane fight with Ghita.

I watched that tournament on the recomendation of this board and it ended up being one of the best watch parties I've had.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CommonShore posted:

poo poo when he first moved up to heavyweight people were rolling their eyes the way we have been at Gian Villante as if that was some long-shot last-ditch career resurrection effort (because he had a reputation for being chinny at 205)

It's interesting, even now, I don't think he's chinny. He can actually take a punch. Whenever he goes out, it tends to be from a barrage of punches. One and done knockouts are still there, like the Ngannou one, but I don't think he has a bad chin. I think it's his reaction to getting hit that's bad. He seems to have put work into it over the years, but he would take one bad punch and seem to go 'well, guess i'm not winning' and just kind of fade, and i think it was a holdover reflex from when he was pissing blood making 205, where his body seemed to straight up shut down after the first few minutes.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CommonShore posted:

No, people were saying he should have done it years before because he was huge and the cut was obviously effecting his fights. I don't know where you got this idea but it doesn't make sense now and wouldn't make sense back then.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

No, people were saying he should have done it years before because he was huge and the cut was obviously effecting his fights. I don't know where you got this idea but it doesn't make sense now and wouldn't make sense back then.

i believe he was fighting at mw at one point. could be wrong. but when your main hole in your game is die-to-travis-brown-calibre-fighters your play is generally not to move up to where people hit like mark hunt. that said he was so good at what he did that he'd have equal chance of winning or losing regardless of weight so it evened out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

i believe he was fighting at mw at one point. could be wrong. but when your main hole in your game is die-to-travis-brown-calibre-fighters your play is generally not to move up to where people hit like mark hunt. that said he was so good at what he did that he'd have equal chance of winning or losing regardless of weight so it evened out.

Pride middleweight was 205 or whatever equivalent in kilograms. He was losing to guys like Shogun and Arona so bringing up Travis Browne eight years before they fought is strange(dumb). The main hole in his game was his cardio which dropped off a cliff after four minutes. Most of his fights were Overeem looking amazing then getting tired and punched in the head until he fell over.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Pride middleweight was 205 or whatever equivalent in kilograms. He was losing to guys like Shogun and Arona so bringing up Travis Browne eight years before they fought is strange(dumb). The main hole in his game was his cardio which dropped off a cliff after four minutes. Most of his fights were Overeem looking amazing then getting tired and punched in the head until he fell over.

yeah it might be strange and dumb to bring up getting knocked out by shogun is a reason to move up to people who hit like mark hunt especially when you bring up that his cardio went off a cliff even more but

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
His cardio was trash because of his weight cut to 205 and it wasn't punching power he was having trouble with so moving up to fight slower, less skilled dudes was smart and good and extended his career 10 years. How have you been watching fights this long and are so ignorant about them?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

yeah it might be strange and dumb to bring up getting knocked out by shogun is a reason to move up to people who hit like mark hunt especially when you bring up that his cardio went off a cliff even more but

nah, his cardio at heavyweight has never been as bad as it was at 205, where he would straight up try to leave the ring after 5 minutes.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I don't think he would be alive right now if he were still trying to do that cut to 205. Even as a kid in his 20s that cut was horrific, and when he fought in PRIDE, it showed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

nah, his cardio at heavyweight has never been as bad as it was at 205, where he would straight up try to leave the ring after 5 minutes.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

His cardio was trash because of his weight cut to 205 and it wasn't punching power he was having trouble with so moving up to fight slower, less skilled dudes was smart and good and extended his career 10 years. How have you been watching fights this long and are so ignorant about them?

well you can't argue with this

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tezcatlipoca posted:

He was really good but didn't fight for very long and had a very convenient Grand Prix run in K1. By the time he was kickboxing K1 had changed the clinch rules to nerf Buakaw so his best skillset/distance was compromised but he still did well for himself.

Buakaw was un MaX WGP nit the WGP tho. unless you're saying that to explain why some fighters moved away from K-1 at that time. IIRC, that's when It's Showtime was really picking up steam, albeit for the smaller fighters.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 15, 2020

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowman_McK posted:

No, he beat legit talent in legit fights and was arguably the best kickboxer at that time and arguably the best combat sports fighter period for that year due to holding MMA titles and Kickboxing titles. It was just also a year that was, due to no fault of his own, a slightly questionable run due to Badr being out, and stuff. The bracket was arguably the best for him out of all the other fighters that year, but it was still a stacked tournament final.

He also murdered Everton Texeira with a helacious knee that lives on in Texeira's nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmpo2lT8NI

To put this in perspective, Overeem took 3rd in the WGP in 2009, then 1st in the WGP in 2010. He is quite a legit kickboxer and was with Golden Glory for a good portion of his career.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Dec 15, 2020

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

brian posted:

uh that fight was good and the only way someone would call it garbage would be if they were really biased against the people involved lol

flailing arm punches are not good op

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

crepeface posted:

flailing arm punches are not good op

we're not talking about chase hooper here though???

neither were expert strikers but dern looked very competent compared to previous and it was very clear the effect parillo has been having and it was your typical 2 grappler striking battle but both fighters fought at a high pace and did damage to each other, you're just mad at dern for being dern, the match was fine and did not slow down the card in any way

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Sometimes cutting weight makes you chinnier. Robert Whittaker got rocked in like nearly all of his welterweight fights and as a middleweight he survived ten back to back rounds with Yoel Romero

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Arlovski has been having the worst, most boring fights these last five years.

Old Man Fundamentals Arlovski is someone to root for. He's past his prime by a lot, but he gets in there, and he gives em' the ol' fundamental striking. For a brief moment, it's 2005 again and every punch has the pride of Belarus behind it. Brings a fuckin tear to my eye. How taste my peepee indeed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowman_McK posted:

I think it was pretty clear that he wasn't the best.
His technique / variety was adequate, but he wasn't the fastest (though at HW, nobody really was besides Saki).
His defense was pretty reductive of the Dutch style, though it was often good enough with big gloves.
He was pretty smart in getting people to play enough into his style of fighting to be effective and catch them with his power.

I think he would have been a crisper kickboxer if he had never done MMA, which seemed to make him more one dimensional in kickboxing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
in a weird way the big gloves were way more suited for his style. he could just hang out behind the gloves and his troll biceps and forearms for days. i don't think he ever did that hilarious little jog away from the ropes/cage in kickboxing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
though that defense clearly did not work against hari, who probably would have stomped him 99/100 times after the whooping overeem put on him the first time made him see the merits of horse meat. i wish hari wasn't a particularly violent psychopath in a sport full of violent psychopaths because he's such a cool fighter.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mekchu posted:

Buakaw was un MaX WGP nit the WGP tho. unless you're saying that to explain why some fighters moved away from K-1 at that time. IIRC, that's when It's Showtime was really picking up steam, albeit for the smaller fighters.

I'm saying when Buakaw beat Masato and some of their other golden boys K1 was like oh hell no and changed the clinch rules to disallow double collar ties and limit the amount of time people spent in clinches. It was a little while before Overeem went over.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Sometimes cutting weight makes you chinnier.

It absolutely does. The brain floats around in the skull and that fluid gets depleted when they dehydrate to cut weight. One of the big concerns about same day weigh-ins is that they wouldn't have the opportunity to rehydrate properly before being in the ring and it's a big safety concern.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mekchu posted:

No, he beat legit talent in legit fights and was arguably the best kickboxer at that time and arguably the best combat sports fighter period for that year due to holding MMA titles and Kickboxing titles. It was just also a year that was, due to no fault of his own, a slightly questionable run due to Badr being out, and stuff. The bracket was arguably the best for him out of all the other fighters that year, but it was still a stacked tournament final.

He also murdered Everton Texeira with a helacious knee that lives on in Texeira's nightmares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fmpo2lT8NI

To put this in perspective, Overeem took 3rd in the WGP in 2009, then 1st in the WGP in 2010. He is quite a legit kickboxer and was with Golden Glory for a good portion of his career.

fun fact: Golden Glory was the reason Reem got dropped from the Strikeforce HWGP, because they demanded all fighters' pay go thru them first, which--in a decision totally out of place for them--Zuffa prohibited.. so Daniel Cormier's career success was all because of Dutch organized crime.

also guess who Jake Paul just called out for a match.

Troy Queef fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 15, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

also guess who Jake Paul just called out for a match.

https://twitter.com/Chisanga_Malata/status/1338953253409714178

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

nate diaz beating up jake paul after 3 months of shitposting at each other feels right

https://twitter.com/NateDiaz209/status/1338669298038919169

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

G-Hawk posted:

nate diaz beating up jake paul after 3 months of shitposting at each other feels right

I really want to see Nate just gently caress him up now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i cannot help but respect the paul brothers. imagine grinding your entire life, getting garbrandt levels of brain damage for a career high of 50/50 per fight, and seeing these guys getting mayweather and diaz level paydays for being annoying.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Khabib Unretirement Speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWk6JcheLMU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

Lol

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

lmao

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

This is somehow an even more clear sign of mental health problems than getting in a fight with your own fireplace.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/lists/ufc-hall-of-famer-tito-ortiz-city-council-train-wreck

Of Course, it it's a train wreck.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

quote:

So, to recap Ortiz’s first week in office: a botched swearing in, COVID jokes, gibberish, fearmongering, and maybe a hit-and-run.

lmaoooooo Of Course

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Huh, Hooper had a real highschool hallway type of fight, goddamn

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I would greatly like for Geoff Hanzo Steel Neal to knock Steve Tomson 100% completely out cold this weekend

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
anyway, here's this:

https://twitter.com/SandhuMMA/status/1339225673966243840

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:byodood: HE RAN UP THE WALL LIKE A NINJA

:psyduck: :psyduck: :psypop:

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

gently caress, I’m old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I had it on my calendar to post that WEC53 was 10 years ago today, quite possibly one of the greatest cards ever.

A bunch of the pictures are gone, but the thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373859&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

You can see when the Showtime Kick happened in there, it was magical.

quote:

Preliminary card
Bantamweight bout: Renan Barão vs. Chris Cariaso
Lightweight bout: Ricardo Lamas vs. Yuri Alcantara
Lightweight bout: Danny Castillo vs. Will Kerr
Bantamweight bout: Eddie Wineland vs. Ken Stone
Bantamweight bout: Brad Pickett vs. Ivan Menjivar
Lightweight bout: Jamie Varner vs. Shane Roller
Lightweight bout: Zhang Tie Quan vs. Danny Downes

Main card
Lightweight bout: Bart Palaszewski vs. Kamal Shalorus
Lightweight bout: Donald Cerrone vs. Chris Horodecki