Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

jeff bezos could personally end homelessness in america forever (this would cost an estimated $20bn/yr, which he could supply perpetually as a trust) and he would be the most famous philanthropist in american history. they'd put up statues and name schools after him like andrew carnegie. he could keep 1 billion dollars for himself and ensure that his family lives like kings for the rest of eternity.

he doesn't do this because he's a world-class, ocean-going rear end in a top hat, like everyone else with billions of dollars. a being of pure spite.

now, for a point of comparison, jeff bezos' entire fortune is about 1/4 of what the us military gets every year. the air force alone spends 10 billion dollars a year on jet fuel.

if all of america's multi-billionaires could put aside their asinine personal space projects, they could work together to end homelessness, hunger, and a ton of other problems, but you need to be a sociopath to have that much money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

the average age in congress is about 60, and it's a bunch of businessmen and lawyers. the oldest are in their late 80s. a lot of them probably still don't use email. the comprehension of technology is probably about 0

It owns that we are rules by a group of dying boomers.

ALAB is a podcast I listen to that covers lawyer stuff and their recent episode was on geriatric. Our judicial system is equally full of senile folks. I believe most of them practice in different circuits and all had personal stories about dealing with senile judges.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

you need to be a sociopath to have that much money

yeah, i think this is really the crux of it. simply to acquire that much in the first place, you have to have an abnormal brain that doesn't respond to normal human pleasures.

how many times have we heard of some billionaire ceo who still goes into the office every day, on their phone all night, obsessed with the business and making more money? imagine having a billion dollars and thinking you still need to increase it even more. they should lock these people up in a lunatic asylum

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Roosevelt posted:

if all of america's multi-billionaires could put aside their asinine personal space projects, they could work together to end homelessness, hunger, and a ton of other problems, but you need to be a sociopath to have that much money

he doesn't even need to end his space project! he's got the money to do both at the same time!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Roosevelt posted:

the US national debt at this point is such an abstract concept to me. it's like trying to hear the sound of a color. i used to think a debt was something you pay back, but now what. ok you guys want your 27 trillion dollars back? suck my red white and blue balls!

It does get paid back.

If you buy a bond you will get paid in full.

The real poo poo about the debt is that its almost 100% owned by american people and businesses. The debt is an income source for all kinds of investors and retirement funds. It would actually cause severe problems if it were eliminated for this reason.

The way to think about the debt is that its a redistribution mechanism. We should see cash going out as neither good or bad. It just depends who gets taxed and who gets the bond returns.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

AnimeIsTrash posted:

They aren't boomers. Look at when Nancy was born.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Salt Fish posted:

It does get paid back.

The real poo poo about the debt is that its almost 100% owned by american people and businesses. The debt is an income source for all kinds of investors and retirement funds. It would actually cause severe problems if it were eliminated for this reason.

The way to think about the debt is that its a redistribution mechanism. We should see cash going out as neither good or bad. It just depends who gets taxed and who gets the bond returns.

a deep irony of the 2008 crisis is what ultimately kicked it off is that we were running a budget surplus and there literally wasn't enough federal debt (t-bills) to facilitate our economy. so wall st. had to go out looking for alternative collateral and settled on mortgage-backed CDOs. and we know what happened after that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Salt Fish posted:

It does get paid back.

one mans deficit is another’s surplus

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

he doesn't even need to end his space project! he's got the money to do both at the same time!!!

we should encourage elon to bast off to mars and take as many techlords with him as possible

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
strong evidence against homosexuality

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PIZZA.BAT posted:

a deep irony of the 2008 crisis is what ultimately kicked it off is that we were running a budget surplus and there literally wasn't enough federal debt (t-bills) to facilitate our economy. so wall st. had to go out looking for alternative collateral and settled on mortgage-backed CDOs. and we know what happened after that

wasn't one of the worst american financial panics of the 19th century caused by the federal government paying off its national debt in full?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

[close to] zero interest was supposed to be an emergency measure but it’s been that way for a decade

those 10% reagan military buildup bonds are what we’re paying off now. before the 21st century it was possible for a normal human to build a compouding nest egg with zero risk government bonds but nobody on wall street got any fees on it so we can’t let that happen again. the only way to make real money in t bills is to start with several billion dollars in the first place

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its true, but then its free money and the government should borrow more. Anyone who can borrow at 0% would be a fool not to.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

before the 21st century it was possible for a normal human to build a compouding nest egg with zero risk government bonds but nobody on wall street got any fees on it so we can’t let that happen again.

while correct the more direct reason why interest rates can't go up is because it'd make markets collapse dramatically.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I dunno what the gently caress is happening around here lately, but check out the sweater the center left guy is wearing to “pancakes with Santa”

https://twitter.com/TheCrackdEgg/status/1338232766673072129

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

They fundamentally can't. They all believe that space is their escape from this planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQHZjBVfDhg

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

AnimeIsTrash posted:

ALAB is a podcast I listen to that covers lawyer stuff and their recent episode was on geriatric. Our judicial system is equally full of senile folks. I believe most of them practice in different circuits and all had personal stories about dealing with senile judges.

ALAB is great

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

endlessmonotony posted:

The problem is that humans can't comprehend scale. (We have ample research evidence demonstrating that big enough numbers just don't click.)

The US government could print around two trillion dollars, every year, for decades before you started really see the impact. More, with a global crisis like this.

Of course, once the impact's there, reversing it is equally massive a task.

no, the problem is that finances work fundamentally differently for a government than a household, and even more so when the government is the United States because it is the reserve currency

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I dunno what the gently caress is happening around here lately, but check out the sweater the center left guy is wearing to “pancakes with Santa”

https://twitter.com/TheCrackdEgg/status/1338232766673072129

is that a christmas sweater with a noose on it

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
anyway i hope everyone in that picture gets covid and dies of it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

is that a christmas sweater with a noose on it

Yes, correct, it is a Christmas sweater covered in nooses, covering a man dining at a restaurant that openly associates with the Proud Boys.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

kitten emergency posted:

anyway i hope everyone in that picture gets covid and dies of it

spare the servers and the children, imo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-12-15/mackenzie-scott-gives-away-4-2-billion-within-four-months posted:

This year has also been an active year for Bezos’s philanthropy. In February, he committed $10 billion to issues related to climate change and last month announced the first of those grants, totaling nearly $800 million to 16 groups. He also disclosed another round of grants for his Day One Fund, giving away more than $100 million to 42 organizations that combat family homelessness.

Bezos, 56, kept three-quarters of the couple’s Amazon shares in the divorce, maintaining his status as the world’s richest person with a fortune of $185 billion, according to the Bloomberg index. His net worth has increased $70 billion this year.

Gonna have to do some advanced maths to work out if he's going to notice those donations

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd like all rich people killed, in minecraft of course.

fivehead
Jul 11, 2017

Americans Need Cash Now

Captain Foo posted:

ALAB is great

there exists no more perfect username or persona than “the helldude”

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

say hello to america's new secretary of transportation

he probably told the south bend service department to fill a couple of potholes at some point, so he's obviously very experienced with matters of transportation and logistics

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

The_Franz posted:

he probably told the south bend service department to fill a couple of potholes at some point, so he's obviously very experienced with matters of transportation and logistics

he took out some traffic lights and got some students on their way to school killed

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

graph posted:

he took out some traffic lights and got some students on their way to school killed

jfc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

graph posted:

yup he’s garbage and doesn’t actually give a gently caress about anything or anyone except one day becoming president. he reminds me a lot of zuckerberg tbh except obviously less rich. i can’t stand him and it makes me mad tbh that he’s probably going to be lauded as some kind of terrible queer icon because nobody should grow up to be like pete

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he sucks very badly for a man who's name is booty judge. i wouldn't trust his taste in rear end at all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gavin newsom will wreck mayo pete in the 2028 primary [then pick him for vp]

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

gavin newsom will wreck mayo pete in the 2028 primary [then pick him for vp]

great two terrible things that taste terrible together

also idk if dems can have two white guys on the ticket anymore, general queerness aside

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
old republicans will get behind gavin newsom once they get a look at his wife :eyepop:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Foo posted:

no, the problem is that finances work fundamentally differently for a government than a household, and even more so when the government is the United States because it is the reserve currency

What?

Do you print your own money in your household?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

endlessmonotony posted:

What?

i do and you better fuckibg not rat me out

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

endlessmonotony posted:

What?

what? no

I’m not sure what you were getting at here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i think maybe op feels that national governments are indeed like households in this regard.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PokeJoe posted:

he sucks very badly for a man who's name is booty judge. i wouldn't trust his taste in rear end at all

i’d do this job

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i think maybe op feels that national governments are indeed like households in this regard.

imo the government should put most of its income in a 401k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Captain Foo posted:

what? no

I’m not sure what you were getting at here

Coward.

gently caress the police, laws ain't real.