Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Accretionist posted:

This time-travel discussion reads like mysticism/obscurantism.
It also sounds like nonsense that some guy maths really hard and out pops an explanation of how many aspects of the universe work. But then you look at the universe and go "oh yeah, it does work that way."

As has been mentioned the theory of relativity does have its limits and doesn't explain everything, but it seems very unlikely it's just plain wrong. Just like how Newtonian physics doesn't handle some extreme cases, but we didn't find out that actually it was totally wrong that actions have a reaction or something.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

poisonpill posted:

What do you mean by information? How is there a top speed to information, and what is it in this context?

Anything you or a sensor can perceive. This is practically always done with some type of EM radiation, which is all a form of light. Light moves at c (the speed of light). No information may move faster than c, because information is light.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skooma512 posted:

Anything you or a sensor can perceive. This is practically always done with some type of EM radiation, which is all a form of light. Light moves at c (the speed of light). No information may move faster than c, because information is light.
Can information move slower than light? It would seem to me so (if I shout at someone, it moves at the speed of sound) however I don't know if the formal definition is different than this empirical definition.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PokeJoe posted:

you'd still probably have to terraform it. earth used to have lots of life and no oxygen in the atmosphere

Yeah atmospheres aren't that great. If we love atmosphere so much why is Musk trying to colonize Mars instead of Venus? Venus has tons of atmosphere.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah atmospheres aren't that great. If we love atmosphere so much why is Musk trying to colonize Mars instead of Venus? Venus has tons of atmosphere.
Too much, perhaps.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

if theres no ufos and its just us and one day we explore all over the universe then eventually we'll probably accidentally ufo ourselves

makes you think

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37134/emails-show-navys-ufo-patents-went-through-significant-internal-review-resulted-in-a-demo

" These patents included bizarre technologies such as a “high temperature superconductor,” a "high frequency gravitational wave generator," a force field-like "electromagnetic field generator," a “plasma compression fusion device,” and a hybrid aerospace/underwater craft featuring an "inertial mass reduction device." They truly sound like the stuff of science fiction and seem to describe the theoretical building blocks of a craft with UFO-like performance"

lol mass effect is real

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Something doesn't have to be real practicable to patent it

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

phasmid posted:

Who's this guy? What does he want?

I can't share all the details, but what he wants is 'you' for 'anal' 'probing'.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

500excf type r posted:

Something doesn't have to be real practicable to patent it

Yeah patents don't really mean anything. I could easily patent my good post generator but it sure as poo poo doesn't mean it'll work. Obviously.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Patents don't actually have to work. it's a little weird the Navy went through the trouble to essentially patent troll, but it's a big org, presumably it only takes on weirdo in the right spot to convince people it's worth the effort.

Now if you want a weird UFO/government story, the Army is partnering with Tom Delonge's company/thinktank thing to research their "alien alloys."*

*Supposedly they're not alloys, but metamaterials. This actually makes some sense, as there isn't such a thing as an alloy we can't determine the composition of. A material where we know the components but not how to get it into the structure it has that gives it whatever magical alien properties, or even how to describe that structure, is much more plausible as an "unknown alien material." Of course just because it's more plausible doesn't mean it's not bullshit. The F18 guncam vids are one thing, but the alien alloys thing has always seemed like bullshit to me.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Imo that is the strongest evidence that has not been brought to light yet. UFOs are real and it seems crashed ufos are also real, the government is just not being truthful.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah wow the government doesn’t know how to make any of the poo poo it claims, that definitely proves ufos. :downs:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXu0YwLiwzo

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

wish elon would move to venus

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Wish he'd take a trip straight to uranus LMAO

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

the musk of uranus

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

toggle posted:

wish elon would move to venus
Make a balloon and go sailing

While Elon
Elon slowly dies

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Inverted Icon posted:

what if the aliens came to teach us magic??

They did, untap>upkeep>draw

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Everyone has a camera phone,if everyone just filmed the sky for one night imagine all the ufo footage there'd be and it wouldn't be dumb infared or radar stuff

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PawParole posted:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/37134/emails-show-navys-ufo-patents-went-through-significant-internal-review-resulted-in-a-demo

" These patents included bizarre technologies such as a “high temperature superconductor,” a "high frequency gravitational wave generator," a force field-like "electromagnetic field generator," a “plasma compression fusion device,” and a hybrid aerospace/underwater craft featuring an "inertial mass reduction device." They truly sound like the stuff of science fiction and seem to describe the theoretical building blocks of a craft with UFO-like performance"

lol mass effect is real

Lol, so where is this garbage then? They are claiming to posses the most revolutionary technology in human history and have announced it to the public. When are they going to release or actually use it for something?

Reminds me of the annual free energy scams that still manage to collect a couple million each time. Oh poo poo, I forgot the free energy machine in my other pants, but I swear it really works. You have to believe me! Our CTO with a PhD from Trump university has seen it too and can confirm it.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

If those were real, functional inventions, why in the hell would you make the patents public when they could be classified.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Projecy Marauder is my favorite "Oh gently caress we need to classify this fast" type thing if what little is out there is to be believed.

Air force made a plasma railgun, published experiments with it make it seem like it works fairly well and then everything gets classified.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

500excf type r posted:

Imo that is the strongest evidence that has not been brought to light yet. UFOs are real and it seems crashed ufos are also real, the government is just not being truthful.

What if... The government is a ufo? Would explain a lot of things imo

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I like the conspiracy that the whole reason for the sci fi explosion in the 1950s was to prepare us and our cultures for the inevitability of first contact. Really weird that Tom Delonge of all loving people got to be the one picked by the Navy to be like, "Hey check this out, I guess this is growing up." I'm thinking some higher up or their kid must be really into blink 182 so that's how they chose him. Can you imagine if they had asked Maynard or 6ix9ine?

Doesn't mean it's necessarily true, but man I wanna believe.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Or loving Kanye? Best plausible deniability with him.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

frogge posted:

I like the conspiracy that the whole reason for the sci fi explosion in the 1950s was to prepare us and our cultures for the inevitability of first contact. Really weird that Tom Delonge of all loving people got to be the one picked by the Navy to be like, "Hey check this out, I guess this is growing up." I'm thinking some higher up or their kid must be really into blink 182 so that's how they chose him. Can you imagine if they had asked Maynard or 6ix9ine?

Tom is a dumbfuck and has always been interested in UFOs. They chose him because he was always reaching out to the government and asking them to tell him about UFOs.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

That part I did not know.

I'm still picturing if Maynard James Keenan was picked that we'd get a weird, snobbishly loving esoteric 11 hour TOOL album detailing everything he was told about aliens. Tom Delonge hasn't done poo poo unless you count angels and airwaves as being ufo related but that's a stretch.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'm sure he probably knows someone who knows someone who is a senator or some poo poo but yeah this is basically Tom Delonge's wet dream.

loving built some fake rear end "academy to the stars" and poo poo around it, along with a famous "parapsychologist" loving LMAO.

I would love to get real scientists involved but this poo poo is definitely not that.

BTW the "parapsychologist" involved has written many "scientific" articles for the church of scientology so I'm sure "To the Stars Academy" is legit just like the Scientologists are.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 17, 2020

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I'm sure he probably knows someone who knows someone who is a senator or some poo poo but yeah this is basically Tom Delonge's wet dream.

loving built some fake rear end "academy to the stars" and poo poo around it, along with a famous "parapsychologist" loving LMAO.

I would love to get real scientists involved but this poo poo is definitely not that.

BTW the "parapsychologist" involved has written many "scientific" articles for the church of scientology so I'm sure "To the Stars Academy" is legit just like the Scientologists are.

And that's why I'm skeptical of the alien alloys claim. The Army was at least willing to have one of their labs partner with To the Stars to study their materials, though, so looks like some scientists will be looking at it.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Biker mice from Mars was ment to prepare us for the alien reveal

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Cowboys of Moo Mesa was a psy-op.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

frogge posted:

its his dad op hth

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Lol, so where is this garbage then? They are claiming to posses the most revolutionary technology in human history and have announced it to the public. When are they going to release or actually use it for something?

Reminds me of the annual free energy scams that still manage to collect a couple million each time. Oh poo poo, I forgot the free energy machine in my other pants, but I swear it really works. You have to believe me! Our CTO with a PhD from Trump university has seen it too and can confirm it.

I think it was harry reid that said basically that ufo stuff exists kind of beyond the oversight of the government agencies designed to track and account for stuff.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

frogge posted:

he's not like you guys

(12 majestic lies)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

500excf type r posted:

I think it was harry reid that said basically that ufo stuff exists kind of beyond the oversight of the government agencies designed to track and account for stuff.
But why would they just sit on it for decades? I'm pretty sure those patents are nonsense, but let's take them at face value for a moment. They're willing to publicly announce they have all of this technology, which includes some very sought after holy grails like high temp superconductors and fusion power. It's no secret. They just opt to not use it, despite the huge industrial, scientific and military advantage it would give them. They still have Lockheed mess around with a fusion concept that probably doesn't work, they still build conventional fighter jets, and there has been no revolution in superconductors, despite having much superior technology available.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Brutaldildos are not of this earth

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

The Saucer Hovers posted:

its his dad op hth

Really? Goddamn how did I not put that together?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Elukka posted:

But why would they just sit on it for decades? I'm pretty sure those patents are nonsense, but let's take them at face value for a moment. They're willing to publicly announce they have all of this technology, which includes some very sought after holy grails like high temp superconductors and fusion power. It's no secret. They just opt to not use it, despite the huge industrial, scientific and military advantage it would give them. They still have Lockheed mess around with a fusion concept that probably doesn't work, they still build conventional fighter jets, and there has been no revolution in superconductors, despite having much superior technology available.
If US Government did have access to a truckload of advanced and un-reproducible alien technology (or someone else, after Trump sold it to them for two percent on the net), I assume they would probably try to figure out how it worked and how to imitate it using our technology as well as how to kind of move towards "Well, obviously this poo poo is possible, we have ten pieces of it from space." Hewmon technology might not be able to duplicate the pocket fusion reactor that powers the Greys' lasers, probers and prostate stimulators, but even a robustly-sized fusion reactor would be of great use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Elukka posted:

I err on the side of them not having any of the technology but what would be the wise thing to do if you find a craft that is more advanced than anything you can imagine? Let's say that you can take it apart, you can even try it out on a limited basis but you have no idea how it works. What would a country do with that? Would they keep it secret or would they brag about it? Is it an advantage to tell other enemies about a technology that is super advanced but one which you are ultimately unable to use or replicate?

Imagine you sent a smart phone back to the year 1920. It has more computing power than anything you'd see in 80 years and its method of manufacture and principles of operation would be completely outside of the scope of that day's science. They could maybe power it up, access whatever's on it and if by gods good grace there's some sort of programming language on there, they could make it do some stuff. They could maybe take it apart and look at the components but would they dare strip the material from the top of the chips to see what's inside? Realistically the best they could hope for is to X-ray it and examine certain elements of it with a microscope and then tuck it away for later. What would a country do with that? How about in a time of war?

Now jump ahead 60 years, a fair amount of time, sure. But not a lot of time in the grand scheme of things or in the timeline of a country's internal mandates. So it's 1980. They would be able to analyse the technology much more completely and even gain some familiarity with the more advanced technologies embedded in the device. They may even be able to discern some of the radio protocols used. The current leading 'idea' out there is that governments are sitting on these things no so much because they're in league with aliens or because they're scared of what people will do but it has more to do with international dynamics. It's always best to hide your hand in international politics and having your competitor not know what technologies you have is all the better. Also, if there are alien craft, chances are that nobody knows how they're built or function so they come back at them every 10-15 years as science advances and they take another poke at figuring it out.

If there are any craft in the possession of the US at all, which I doubt, but if there are I suspect that these patents and little tastes of legitimacy from the government might be a signal that they think (perhaps incorrectly) that our technological abilities might be close to cracking the case and that there might be something to learn from the public in general by generating serious discussion and inspiring scientists or theorists. I highly doubt that any action taken in that regard would be to ease the public into accepting aliens or whatever.