Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

aparmenideanmonad posted:

You may know this already but it's significantly easier if you tag the start pillar and run back to the entrance. The hydro mage will just sit and wait for you to kill the other two.

(I'm assuming you're at max domain level)

Only AR44, but good to know for future reference. I'm not even after the named set so much as Scholar/Gambler for my supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh, you're gonna love the AR45 version!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Noblesse domain is another great example of your choice of characters turning a slog into a breeze. Ning, Fischl, and Benny let me blaze through it in like two minutes and most of that is wearing down the pyro mages shield. :v:

Now the petra domain can go gently caress itself. It’s not even hard, just annoying.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i think that probably one of my favourite parts of GI is that there's no fishing minigame

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

The story Childe fight definitely needed to be nerfed though, it seemed to scale with world level meaning that for many people the story fight was harder than most of the options you could then subsequently choose when re-entering the golden house

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

awesmoe posted:

i think that probably one of my favourite parts of GI is that there's no fishing minigame

fishing as it exists in this game isn't much better though, least they could do is add a fish expedition or something

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

awesmoe posted:

Just dive in there and grab the little fuckers, or fill the lake with grenades, or electricity. EFFICIENCY!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

I'm constantly wishing there was one.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The fishing minigame is tossing Klee bombs from the shore

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Bussamove posted:

Noblesse domain is another great example of your choice of characters turning a slog into a breeze. Ning, Fischl, and Benny let me blaze through it in like two minutes and most of that is wearing down the pyro mages shield. :v:

It's kind of weird (in a very unfun way) how this stuff would turn into a cool feature if the game wasn't entirely a resin stranglehold. I'd level up and gear a Ning-led team in order to gear my real team. If the Ning team needed gear, well that's even more content I could grind and possibly would be another team. Unless you're willing to whale you instead solve it in the most unfun manner - farm consumables and brute force it.

Maybe this is a standard thing in gacha games, which I'm admittedly mostly ignorant of, but it still seems weird how the gacha aspect (and most of the game design) directly conflicts with the mobile-based stamina system. Once I have my carefully-planned teams for abyss all the gacha is worthless unless they bring in some turbobroken 5* that is worth two months of resin.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Everyone was saying what you're saying when they were at AR44, but people don't say it much any more at AR50.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

LorneReams posted:

I'm not at the end game yet, but is anything gated by this insane min-maxing, or is this essentially e-peen and masturbation?

its completely pointless fun, the game ends when you finish the story but there's still tons of number go up available.

game has strong spreadsheet appeal, on top of all the other stuff that is actually fun about it. plus making noticeable progress in spiral abyss is actually really fun.

plus there's like a tiny marginal fraction of 'i NEEEEEEEEEEED to do this for primogems for rolls'

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Goddamn, I've got a pretty sick Zhongli set in progress. The remaining substat rolls could all whiff and I'd still be very happy.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

gandlethorpe posted:

The fishing minigame is tossing Klee bombs from the shore

yeah thats what i like about it. the fishing game is the game. there's no cut away from the game to wait for a bobber to bob and then you get a qte, you just solve the fishing problem with the same tools you use to solve every other problem. i like that.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Goddamn, I've got a pretty sick Zhongli set in progress. The remaining substat rolls could all whiff and I'd still be very happy.

Just rolled more CRIT DMG and ER on the feather :bisonyes:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
It seems weird that there are different fish, but they all give the same "fish" ingredient. Maybe at some point there were different drops planned between them early in development or some sort of fishing minigame? I guess it could be a world building detail, but it seems like a somewhat meaningless detail.

Also, I feel like there is something wrong with format of the game that I cannot place my finger on. All the grinding and open world make it seem like an MMORPG, but it isn't and it makes me question the point of grinding. You need to grind for character exp, weapon exp, money, talent books, ascension materials for weapons, ascension materials for characters, and probably other stuff I forgot. However, there is nothing to actually grind FOR. It is essentially single player, so you are not competing with anyone when it comes to gear, and there is no end game at all. There is nothing in Genshin Impact except for the Spiral Abyss, and it is the same boring domain fight arena as every other grinding thing in the game and it does not have meaningful rewards to actually make you care about getting to the end of it. I played Everquest in 2000 and have no problem with grinding, but there was at least a purpose for it there. You grind to get better stuff to do harder content, and the harder content is actually in the game and you just need to get to it. If there were large mobs wandering the world that you needed end game gear to deal with like Xenoblade Chronicles or actual end game dungeons to explore like real MMOs it might feel more purposeful to grind and have something to do where you actually need better gear. It feels like using resin and doing dailies is for some feeling of FOMO where you might need resources in the future, rather than because it has any sort of purpose right now. The only gacha game I have ever played besides this was FFRK a while ago, but it did not have the same tedious feel toward farming because it did not really feel like a real game that you had to pay attention to to get your farming done. Maybe I am just burnt out, but it feels bad when there is nothing to do in a big game world that does not require resin.

I feel like it is some weird middle ground of BotW and a MMORPG, but no finished story to work towards like BotW and no real reason to play because you cannot gain anything without using resin which automatically time gates your content artificially. Leveling was slow in Everquest, but at least it was a function of you playing the game and you had some control over how fast you progress.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 19, 2020

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been slacking haven't logged in for like 3 or 4 days. Missed out on gems but I've been burning out so whatever. Won't have much saved up for next banner but so it goes.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

Just rolled more CRIT DMG and ER on the feather :bisonyes:

If you could get some more crit rate, he would be great in an ult spam comp.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i still have never gotten this hilichurl poetry thing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
So okay, hear me out on this team: Ganyu, Bennett, Sucrose/Venti, ??? (I could actually see Sucrose and Venti here, mainly because a second Pyro wouldn't add much but resonance). The idea is to use Ganyu and Bennett as flex DPS to play off one another. Use Bennett to infuse the Sucrose/Venti Burst with Pyro and fire fully-charged Ganyu arrows into the vortex to do big Melts, then layer the Bennett and Ganyu Burst fields over one another and have Bennett do Melts with his low-CD E. Very difficult to take damage because Ganyu is ranged and Bennett will be constantly healing himself when fighting in his Burst, you have multiple ways to cluster enemies (Ganyu's taunt, Sucrose pulls), the main issue would just be figuring out how to generate enough energy for everyone other than Venti. If there's a good energy generator character they might be good as the flex.

The numbers show Ganyu's Melt possibilities as quite absurd, and Bennett ain't bad himself when built for damage. Just not sure if it can sustain the energy it'd need to generate to keep it rotating between Ganyu Mode and Bennett Mode.

dogsicle posted:

fishing as it exists in this game isn't much better though, least they could do is add a fish expedition or something
I would be quite surprised if Inazuma doesn't have an expedition for like Fish/Crabs or Fish/Shrimp.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

No Wave posted:

Everyone was saying what you're saying when they were at AR44, but people don't say it much any more at AR50.

Ah, but you will regret spending all the resources on Team C when the New Thing releases and you need a team of well-tuned 90s (or 100s, or whatever) to beat it! :v:

Pain of Mind posted:

All the grinding and open world make it seem like an MMORPG, but it isn't and it makes me question the point of grinding. You need to grind for character exp, weapon exp, money, talent books, ascension materials for weapons, ascension materials for characters, and probably other stuff I forgot. However, there is nothing to actually grind FOR.

Can't have accomplishments award power, because that devalues resin, which means all resin leads to nothing. If you don't look at beating content as its own reward then yeah there's not much to progress towards. If you do value beating content, and have already cleared abyss 12, the answer to your question of what to grind for is "hoarding for future content that will happen at some point".

Nakar posted:

So okay, hear me out on this team: Ganyu, Bennett, Sucrose/Venti, ???

Wouldn't you be better off with Bennet/Chongus/Sucrose/??? if you're looking for a melt comp? Bennet carry means you don't need to double level for the dual dps and you'd always be melting with the higher damage reaction. With Chong's E making every E from Bennet (at 50% cooldown with boosted damage) an instant reaction I doubt you'd have any issues with energy. Could easily flex in a fourth for whatever (XL, XQ, Diona... no wrong answer) in abyss. If you also had Venti it'd be insane, but that's just because Venti.

I'm not sold on Ganyu unless her ult procs so fast it's an aura. In that case she gets a 100% safe spot on Team Diluc. If she's literally just higher damage Ice Amber then I don't have a spot.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 19, 2020

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

Nakar posted:

So okay, hear me out on this team: Ganyu, Bennett, Sucrose/Venti, ??? (I could actually see Sucrose and Venti here, mainly because a second Pyro wouldn't add much but resonance). The idea is to use Ganyu and Bennett as flex DPS to play off one another. Use Bennett to infuse the Sucrose/Venti Burst with Pyro and fire fully-charged Ganyu arrows into the vortex to do big Melts, then layer the Bennett and Ganyu Burst fields over one another and have Bennett do Melts with his low-CD E. Very difficult to take damage because Ganyu is ranged and Bennett will be constantly healing himself when fighting in his Burst, you have multiple ways to cluster enemies (Ganyu's taunt, Sucrose pulls), the main issue would just be figuring out how to generate enough energy for everyone other than Venti. If there's a good energy generator character they might be good as the flex.

The numbers show Ganyu's Melt possibilities as quite absurd, and Bennett ain't bad himself when built for damage. Just not sure if it can sustain the energy it'd need to generate to keep it rotating between Ganyu Mode and Bennett Mode.

Bennett’s tap E within his field has absurd energy generation rates due to the 2s cooldown. Xingqiu would be a good fourth.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

XQ probably isn't a bad shout considering you can use him to set up Freeze for Ganyu as an alternative damage source, especially if you get the cryo artifact set for her.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
important to note, you should almost always be using bennett tap E, especially in his ult zone. The higher level versions just take too long to come out that its not worth it over quickly executing the skill and going back to attacking.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is the Sacrificial Sword good for Bennett or should I be using a more attack oriented one like the prototype sword? It seems to line up exactly with what he wants to be doing, but it might be excessive.

Bennett was the first character I rolled, and I used him briefly before discarding him due to the initial tier lists lists being so horribly wrong about his power level. I've now got him up to 70 and he's finally becoming pretty fearsome, people were not kidding.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 19, 2020

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Scoss posted:

Is the Sacrificial Sword good for Bennett or should I be using a more attack oriented one like the prototype sword? It seems to line up exactly with what he wants to be doing, but it might excessive.

Bennett was the first character I rolled, and I used him briefly before discarding him due to the initial tier lists lists being so horribly wrong about his power level. I've now got him up to 70 and he's finally becoming pretty fearsome, people were not kidding.

You want whatever sword has the higher base attack number. If you're mostly using him for support he also wants ER artifacts.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 19, 2020

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mailer posted:

Wouldn't you be better off with Bennet/Chongus/Sucrose/??? if you're looking for a melt comp? Bennet carry means you don't need to double level for the dual dps and you'd always be melting with the higher damage reaction. With Chong's E making every E from Bennet (at 50% cooldown with boosted damage) an instant reaction I doubt you'd have any issues with energy. Could easily flex in a fourth for whatever (XL, XQ, Diona... no wrong answer) in abyss. If you also had Venti it'd be insane, but that's just because Venti.

I'm not sold on Ganyu unless her ult procs so fast it's an aura. In that case she gets a 100% safe spot on Team Diluc. If she's literally just higher damage Ice Amber then I don't have a spot.
Ganyu's double-charged Aimed Shot damage is pretty goddamn crazy. Chongyun is more of a support than a flex DPS. The thing is, the Chongyun comp is tried and tested and we know its energy cycling works; we don't know that's true of the Ganyu setup, so it might not be better even if Ganyu can do more damage.

Scoss posted:

Is the Sacrificial Sword good for Bennett or should I be using a more attack oriented one like the prototype sword? It seems to line up exactly with what he wants to be doing, but it might excessive.

For support Bennett I'd probably recommend Favonius (if you have it at decent refinement and he has okay Crit) or the upcoming Festering Desire. He likes Energy Recharge swords in a support role, but Sacrificial Sword's big advantage is being able to double-tap the Skill and Bennett's cooldown is so short that the overall benefit isn't huge. It does help to generate energy but I'm not sure if it'd be better than an equivalent-refinement Favonius (R5 Favonius Sword and enough Crit turns Bennett into a ridiculous energy battery).

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with using Sacrificial Sword on him if you have it and lack other options. The Energy Recharge secondary stat is a big help to his Burst uptime and two quick Skill taps do generate additional energy which is no bad thing. The fact his CD is low also means, at lower Sac Sword refinements, that you get more tries to proc the effect if it fails. Less necessary at high refinement though, it will almost always trigger in one try.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

For Bennett I use Favonious Sword— his crit isn’t great but the ER on it is a huge step towards making sure his burst is up a lot. Mostly its a little bonus of particles while I throw out some autos waiting for the particles from his E to reach him.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

What weapon bennett uses is dependent on how much energy you generate, and how much ECR you have invested in him outside the weapon. At 200 ECR (achievable with just ascension stat and artifacts), you need to be able to generate 30 energy for him within his 15s cooldown. That's equivalent to 17 fire particles, 24 non-elemental particles, and 50 off-element particles. The faster you generate particles, or if you have a pyro carry that will naturally generate enough fire particles, the less you need an ECR weapon for Bennett and can go with a 44 base attack weapon like the prototype rancour.

With Bennett carry, you just use black sword.

Edit: It's also dependant on the level of your weapon on Bennett and how many ranks into his ult you have.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 19, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like ER% is easy enough to get (artifact set bonus, mainstat sands, substats on up to 5 artifacts, Bennett's inherent bonus) that you can afford to prioritize a high ATK weapon on Bennett so that his burst has a stronger ATK buff. your only other way to get more base ATK is via leveling and that's much more expensive while also giving worse returns than a weapon. Rancour is the best free option when it comes to ATK, otherwise definitely opt for Black Sword or any other non-ER gacha option you have. Festering Desire from the 1.2 event should be a nice middleground since it has some ER% and should have comparable ATK to Flute or Black Sword, plus the effect plays well to how you use him.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
just started playing, I'm just about done with the first zone. I have to level Adventure Rank to head to the Wanshu Inn.

Where should I be spending my primogen? Is the limited time banner thing something I should do, or should I go after the wanderlust banner? Is the guy Zhongli worth it?

I did do all the beginner pulls, and got the maid with the two hander.

Sexual Aluminum fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 19, 2020

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

just started playing, I'm just about done with the first zone. I have to level Adventure Rank to head to the Wanshu Inn.

Where should I be spending my primogen? Is the limited time banner thing something I should do, or should I go after the wanderlust banner? Is the guy Zhongli worth it?

Zhongli is currently way undertuned and in probably the jankiest element. He's ok for, like, world exploration content and what not, because outside of specific optional content Genshin isn't very hard. But there's a lot of characters who can do what he does but better; in short, I wouldn't blow all your gems on getting him. There are some good 4*s on the banner which might be worth throwing some rolls into. Razor in particular is a fantastic DPS carry (ie: the dude you spend most of the time on the field hitting things with) and he's on rate up. Chongyun and Xinyan are also real good characters that can fit into a lot of parties.

The way the banners work is that there's a built in pity system for rolling 5*s like Zhongli - at about 75 rolls on a banner the rate goes up sharply until it's guaranteed on roll 90 for character banners and 80 for weapon banners. This pity bonus is separate for the character, weapon, and generic banners, and persists whenever the banner changes. So lets say you roll 70 times on Zhongli's banner, but don't get a 5*. When the banner changes to a new character, you are guaranteed a 5* within your next 20 rolls. As such it might be worth throwing some rolls to grab the 4* characters and stopping.

As a more general rule of thumb you usually want to avoid spending primogems on the generic banner (which uses acquaint fates) and save them for a character banner with good characters or a weapon banner with a weapon you really, really, really want.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I run Aquila Favonia on Bennett because I know neither shame nor fear, and it amuses me when he procs the AoE/Heal by setting himself on fire. It's also the best carry Sword, at least unless you're running him at C6 and maybe even then, though I'm not using him as a carry (yet); for supportive whale purposes Skyward Blade is probably better as it has enough Energy Recharge that you can just run DPS artifacts and the proc just works really well with the way Bennett is often played.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Speaking of weapon banners, is there any way to check what a weapon actually does before you pull one, other than checking a wiki? I feel like this should be obvious but I haven't found it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Sexual Aluminum posted:

e: Misread, you already did the starter banner, imo don't worry about Zhongli for now. Just save primos until the next banner drops and you can preview the characters on it to see if they're ones you're interested in.

e: Unless you really want the 4* characters on this banner! They're all pretty good imo. But for now it's not a bad idea to just save and scope out the next couple banners to see what you like!

S.J. fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 19, 2020

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Nakar posted:

Ganyu's double-charged Aimed Shot damage is pretty goddamn crazy. Chongyun is more of a support than a flex DPS. The thing is, the Chongyun comp is tried and tested and we know its energy cycling works; we don't know that's true of the Ganyu setup, so it might not be better even if Ganyu can do more damage.

I mean, she's not live so hey anything is possible. I'm on controller so accurate shots effectively don't exist, but even outside of that it'd have to be a shitload of damage to keep up with Bennet/Chong melts, especially since that combination leads to the entire team hitting ults on cooldown.

If she does somehow hit like a jackhammer despite not having the same reaction potential that's going to be hilarious once a fire aura character gets added.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

Speaking of weapon banners, is there any way to check what a weapon actually does before you pull one, other than checking a wiki? I feel like this should be obvious but I haven't found it.

There actually is an in-game codex/"archive" that lists all the weapons and their stats/passives, but annoyingly enough, it only shows details for ones you've already obtained. So yup, you have to look them up online in wikis or whatever.

e:

Mailer posted:

If she does somehow hit like a jackhammer despite not having the same reaction potential that's going to be hilarious once a fire aura character gets added.

Xiangling? The free fire character that everyone gets for free? She's the best character in the game at applying a fire aura to enable reactions. And did I mention she's free?
Xinyan is pretty good for that too by the look of it, but she'd require hanging out in melee range.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 19, 2020

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It’s always hilarious to toss xiangling in a group after not using her for a while. Just complete mayhem

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

How do Chong and Benny’s fields interact anyway? Does one override the other, will they stack on top of each other? My inability yo draw cryo characters means I don’t get to play around with that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Wind bottle is prolly something I should make for the patch huh.

Gosh I’m so excited to have chests to find.