Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I think a lot of religious people would freak the gently caress out because their whole deal is the earth and humanity being special and unique and the center of the universe and the only thing God cares about. Alien civilizations would challenge that belief, which is central to most of their other beliefs

Elukka posted:

As has been mentioned the theory of relativity does have its limits and doesn't explain everything, but it seems very unlikely it's just plain wrong. Just like how Newtonian physics doesn't handle some extreme cases, but we didn't find out that actually it was totally wrong that actions have a reaction or something.

Right but there are many suggestions in the field of physics that it isn't that simple. Quantum physics already challenges the idea of an immutable space time, if two particles can react to one another instantly at any distance. That's not the only quantum physics example either.

And that's not even getting into the various theories of parallel dimensions which are more or less mainstream, or at least strongly suggested, in the study of certain kinds of physics. The idea that light speed is a hard and absolute limit is far from proven, is all I mean

(not sure if I already posted this, it was saved so apologies if I did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oddly enough I'm PRETTY sure the only people that'd be shook by that on religious grounds would be American WASPs.

I mean, yes, of course you'd get people from everywhere going "Holy poo poo" because...well, honestly, "holy poo poo". But in terms of just pure "No I can't accept that on a religious world view", that'd be your problem. I'd be willing to bet that the Vatican would be one of the first to come out to say "Hey, cool." Catholicism gets a ton of poo poo around here, but frankly over the last 50 years it's been exceptionally progressive in terms moving forward socially and with something like this I could totally see even a moderate pope being like "Hey. Ain't nothing in the rulebook that says aliens CAN'T have communion. :)" Or some such

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What about titanium? I mean, nothing invented in 1950 wasn’t a huge leap from the theoretical developments of 1930

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Play posted:

I think a lot of religious people would freak the gently caress out because their whole deal is the earth and humanity being special and unique and the center of the universe and the only thing God cares about. Alien civilizations would challenge that belief, which is central to most of their other beliefs
I do not think it would be a foundational threat to most religious people. It might be a foundational threat to American evangelicals, but although we are all reliably and frequently informed that they are the only people who actually matter, many other individuals exist.

I looked this up - it seems as if there are several places in the Quran that could be extremely easy to read as "btw, aliens, dude". There are several cases of direct UFO contact in Buddhist sutras. I doubt the Hindus would have any problems. Judaism is relatively small and the existence of some kind of snot-nosed space nerds would not change the covenant with G-d.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

poisonpill posted:

nothing invented in 1950 wasn’t a huge leap from the theoretical developments of 1930

what does that mean, even?

That any given 20 years we can't have a generational advance of tech?

Or that we didn't advance it enough for you?

I mean the entire world came together and co-operated at the same time to fight itself, one side or the other, for 20 years, the entire global economy, industrial, and scientific sectors were designed to one up one another. The entire loving planet geared itself up to "get good", and you're surprised that poo poo got real during those two decades? Like what does that even mean?

We'll never see this happen again in earth's history. It united the planet in halves to focus on just forcing their hips forward to orgasm.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah two decades in the midst of the biggest industrial expansion in world history plus a technology - enhancing world war is plenty explanation for me. I can't actually pinpoint a single moment in scientific history that seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't build upon what other folks had already discovered.

If the whole point is not to interfere with the life in this planet, though, you'd expect them to not just leave their plasma guns and FTL drives just lying around

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Play posted:

Nah. Most would have no conflict at all. The gods didn't mention funny looking people living really really far away, or if they did the prophets and whatnot didn't bother to write it down, or it was written down but people later compiling the writings didn't see it as important -- because it wasn't important. :shrug:

Consider the existence of Australia. That continent and the people living there in isolation for 50,000 years weren't mentioned in outside religious texts, but nobody thinks that is weird. It simply wasn't important to the daily lives and spiritual well being of people in other parts of the world. The discovery of Australian Aborigines and eventual realization that they'd been living there for 50,000 years isn't upsetting to any religion. (I mean, young earth creationists don't believe humanity is that old and therefore those numbers must be wrong, but the fact that everyone else believes it doesn't undermine their faith at all. Young earth creationists aren't worried that the bible doesn't record when some of Noah's descendants traveled to Australia sometime in the last 4,000 years because it's just not important.) Zeus didn't care. Jehova didn't care. Kali didn't care. None of them bothered to inform their followers about some odd people far away.

Space aliens are just a little farther out than Australian Aborigines. Most people of faith would have no problem with including them as part of creation. Polytheists might decide that just as our gods created us, the alien's planet has their own gods who created them. Some might try to frame the space aliens as angels or demons, but that doesn't undermine their faith, it reinforces it. Others might decide that only humans are God's Chosen People. Some religions might decide that the space aliens are not people with souls, they are just a sort of talking animal. Whatever. It's pretty easy to fold things that undeniably exist into your belief system without shattering that belief system.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It'd own if all major world religions was aliens.

"Sorry, we've been using you to dial in our Complex Systems models."

edit:

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's pretty easy to fold things that undeniably exist into your belief system without shattering that belief system.

Alternatively, what if the threat isn't repudiation... but confirmation?

Aliens exist and they're all Connecticut WASPs. All of them.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 19, 2020

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

poisonpill posted:

What about titanium? I mean, nothing invented in 1950 wasn’t a huge leap from the theoretical developments of 1930

it wasnt profitable to pull out of the ground until we understood how to make alloys with it and to me that was always more fun to have come from a reverse engineered shiny metal space boat

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I'm of the opinion that religions aren't incompatible with aliens and I agree catholicism has been surprisingly progressive, but that said, history has a precedent of sorts with regards to religion and "aliens".

When the American continent was discovered, and Europeans found out it was inhabited, it shattered their world view as to where these humans had come from. Plate tectonics, continental drift, evolution, were a long way to come in the 1500s. All people knew is God had made humans in the "known world" and now there was more known world and it also had humans, what the heck? In the end the local natives were deemed to be "clear of original sin" by virtue of not having enough brainpower to understand things to start with. Or something like that, it's been a couple months since I read about that. What I do remember is that the church had the dangedest time figuring out if Americans counted as humans or not, and if God would be mad if they did not count them as humans.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah so finding some other human beings managed to cause a crisis of faith but an entire other species wouldn't? Dunno about that. For sure fear and conspiracy theories world abound.

Also, think of the anxiety and derangement of the cold war, the red scares, mccarthyism. People said and did crazy things and there was a lot of fear everywhere. That was just russians. Understanding that there are aliens out there, a whole other species who is naturally threatening (the definition of the other) and who could end everything your are, your family, your civilization and everyone you've ever known would be a lot for people to take in. Some people, at least, would lose their absolute poo poo

Maybe you goons are too *intellectual* to fall prey to these things but your opinion of most of humanity is much too high. People already freak the gently caress out in similar ways for entirely invented reasons

Play fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Dec 19, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
People don't really freak out without an imminent threat. Consider global warming or if you want to be melodramatic consider that a huge number of people alive right now (at least claim to) believe that there are evil spirits attempting to personally harm them and lead them into doing things that will cause them to be held for an eternity in a dimension of torture. They just say a few magic words every so often and go to work like it's tbd.

E: Also the example of the cold war - They lived (live) under the constant threat of nuclear annihilation and still mostly just went about their business like whatever.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 19, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think that learning confirmed alien existence would cause a lot of social disruption, but I think it is easy to forget about the billions of people in the world who are behaviorally boring and typical the vast majority of the time (even if they may hold some truly grody views, at least if asked), because the loud shitposters get all the media attention. You would not hear about the billions who digested the revelation, or the tens of millions who were changed by the considerations it raised. You would hear about the hundreds of thousands who say "OBAMA DID ALIENS!! TRUMP!!", the thousands who did have enormous critical freakouts, etc.

I suppose in a sense the rest of us do not exist, because we are not perceived. A curious thing. Perhaps that is the phenomenon the aliens study us for.............

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Aliens are already here, posting among us. How to find them? Look for the probes :tinfoil:

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There are evil spirits attempting to personally harm them and lead them into doing things that will cause them to be held for an eternity in a dimension of torture. They just say a few magic words every so often and go to work like it's tbd.

So a typical Saturday then

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Another reason for classifying videos like these is to not reveal our own classified technology. The information that our jets have cameras that can track something at x distance moving at y speed can be important to someone trying to defeat that tracking.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The first alien to appear on video will have beautiful green eyes

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

one of the "nordic" aliens

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my favorite contactee stories are the ones where the aliens are sexy 1950s white amwrican housewives in space miniskirts with like w tin foil triangle logo so you know they're from the planet clarion

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

my favorite contactee stories are the ones where the aliens are sexy 1950s white amwrican housewives in space miniskirts with like w tin foil triangle logo so you know they're from the planet clarion

Yeah, but their skin is a primary color.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

for reference: http://www.theironskeptic.com/articles/clarion/clarion.htm

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Nuggan posted:

Another reason for classifying videos like these is to not reveal our own classified technology. The information that our jets have cameras that can track something at x distance moving at y speed can be important to someone trying to defeat that tracking.

This is definitely the reason the military is not releasing more of its evidence. Whether or not it's a GOOD reason is a completely different question, but it is the reason.

A lot of people would be surprised at what mundane poo poo is classified, because even if the general thrust of the technology is public knowledge, the specific details are secret.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/alien-hunters-discover-mysterious-signal-from-proxima-centauri/

weird that all the alien stars are in the southern hemisphere, maybe there's a reason why (hint: ice wall)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Nessus posted:

I think that learning confirmed alien existence would cause a lot of social disruption, but I think it is easy to forget about the billions of people in the world who are behaviorally boring and typical the vast majority of the time (even if they may hold some truly grody views, at least if asked), because the loud shitposters get all the media attention. You would not hear about the billions who digested the revelation, or the tens of millions who were changed by the considerations it raised. You would hear about the hundreds of thousands who say "OBAMA DID ALIENS!! TRUMP!!", the thousands who did have enormous critical freakouts, etc.

I suppose in a sense the rest of us do not exist, because we are not perceived. A curious thing. Perhaps that is the phenomenon the aliens study us for.............

Lol that would be so loving annoying. We learn about the existence of extra terrestrial intelligent life and it all ends up sucking because people politicize it like that. I can totally see that happening

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aliens could also just be so fundamentally different from us that it might be hard to accept for a lot of people.

Or that old scifi story where they look just like cartoon devils.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think my mom's dog might be an alien. She's constantly trying to probe butts with her nose.

What do?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Phenomenon on Amazon was pretty good.

The production values were the best of these so far.

I didn’t know about that Zimbabue incident though that was pretty interesting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tetramin posted:

Lol that would be so loving annoying. We learn about the existence of extra terrestrial intelligent life and it all ends up sucking because people politicize it like that. I can totally see that happening
Well that's it really, for billions it would be interesting and perhaps enlightening but you'd only ever hear about the shitheads even if they were one in a thousand.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
aliens are gonna land on earth and be like "greetings earthlings, we seek your wisdom" and it'll be really awkward as we were hoping THEY had the wisdom

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
aliens: so disease is caused by microorganisms and not bad smell? huh, crazy stuff
humans: can you teach us how your ftl engines work now?
aliens: we were hoping you could tell us

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Nosfereefer posted:

aliens: so disease is caused by microorganisms and not bad smell? huh, crazy stuff

Alien: Take Me To Your Teacher

naem
May 29, 2011

alien, pulling a prob out of a butthole “but doctor, I am Pagliacci!!”

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the last scene of close encounters of the the third kind except the aliens immediately begin trying to suck off richard dreyfus and touch his butthole

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Nosfereefer posted:

Oh this? The ship? Yeah we just found this thing laying around and crawled inside for fun like a cat with a cardboard box. Don't even know how it works!

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
They aren't probing, they're just doing prostate stim, being good hosts

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Can we all agree that rods are extradimensional flies gathering around our poo poo heap dimension?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

That said, there's a whole separate patent system for classified stuff so the fact that they used the "normal" non-classified US patent office means that those patents in particular are likely just there to throw another country for a loop.

But yeah patents don't have to actually work or even really be demonstrable for you to be issued them.
My guess is they're either that - out to confuse the competition - or they're from some Crazy Ideas Department. Sometimes organizations will let a few people cultivate ideas that are pretty out there - NASA for example has the Eagleworks with their EmDrive whose fundamental physics don't make sense - just in case that eventually they happen to hit on something that works that more sensible departments never thought of.

Play posted:

Right but there are many suggestions in the field of physics that it isn't that simple. Quantum physics already challenges the idea of an immutable space time, if two particles can react to one another instantly at any distance. That's not the only quantum physics example either.

And that's not even getting into the various theories of parallel dimensions which are more or less mainstream, or at least strongly suggested, in the study of certain kinds of physics. The idea that light speed is a hard and absolute limit is far from proven, is all I mean

(not sure if I already posted this, it was saved so apologies if I did)
I think none of those things are actually in conflict with relativity, they're just looking at it from completely different perspectives and there's a zone of ??? between them and we can't quite see where these two perspectives meet. Physics people tell me that, for example, while two entangled particles can act instantly, you cannot for some reason use this to transfer any information faster than light. I don't understand why, it's all space magic to me, but the impression I get is that there are mechanisms that just kinda happen to make sure relativity stays more or less intact. The fact that it looks like that is probably just an artifact of an incomplete understanding.

Cool side note: China has a quantum entanglement communications testbed satellite on orbit (QUESS). It isn't useful for faster-than-light communication, but it is useful for cryptography, also for reasons I don't understand. Others are also doing the same thing on the ground.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the last scene of close encounters of the the third kind except the aliens immediately begin trying to suck off richard dreyfus and touch his butthole

this is what happened to me, except they bought me dinner first

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Tace Vim posted:

this is what happened to me, except they bought me dinner first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiiuc0M4L40&t=79s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Accretionist posted:

Aliens exist and they're all Connecticut WASPs. All of them.

Checks out: