Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
sucks to live in a place that's too cold in the winter to go out walking, i guess.

i've been going out every day for 1-2 hours just walking and getting 10k steps average since march, good for clearing the mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

Even if all you can do is walk, or you have some exercise you can do at home, it all helps.

Yeah 30 minutes of brisk walking is the documented threshold for most of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurobiological_effects_of_physical_exercise

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its pretty funny to me how much mental gymnastics people do to convince themselves exercise is a necessary activity in plague times

gotta do some sort of gymnastics

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shipon posted:

sucks to live in a place that's too cold in the winter to go out walking, i guess.

i've been going out every day for 1-2 hours just walking and getting 10k steps average since march, good for clearing the mind

yeah same

when there isn’t two feet of snow around I jog too

wish I had a weight set tho :(

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

euphronius posted:

yeah same

when there isn’t two feet of snow around I jog too

wish I had a weight set tho :(

fill milk jugs with sand.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Admiral Ray posted:

breasts

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

facetoucher cat posted:

My anxiety is so bad right now I had to turn off Antiques Roadshow bc it was too high impact. Put on a stream of a fireplace crackling, it's about my speed

Same except I'm working and have to try and keep cool while I troubleshoot stuff over the phone.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its pretty funny to me how much mental gymnastics people do to convince themselves exercise is a necessary activity in plague times

I've been hiking and doing HIIT youtube videos since March and it loving sucks, but I'll be damned if I'm going to get cheezer lung or zombie heart from LA fitness.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Shipon posted:

if you dress properly you can walk in anything, outside of a polar vortex probably

it can be kind of inconvenient because of all the layers, but it's doable

boots - thick socks - long underwear - pants
3-4 upper layers + parka
thick gloves and hat (those lobster gloves are a good option if you want some dexterity)
balaclava for the neck

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

what do i do if im canadian

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Rutibex posted:

fill the milk bag pitcher with snow

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

its a rona party

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've already come to terms with the fact that my first day back to the gym is going to be one of the most profoundly pathetic days of my life

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Rutibex posted:

fill wine bottles with sand

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shipon posted:

You can get around this too by wearing layers. During moderate intensity exercise your body temp goes up and it feels like its about 10-20 degrees warmer, so as long as you're wearing synthetics (not cotton this is very loving important) and wind isn't too bad and your extremities are safe from frostbite, you'd be surprised how cold it has to get for walking around to be dangerous.

The synthetics trap water close to your skin, so when your body heats the water it forms an insulating barrier against the cold. This is the principle behind wetsuits and it's also why cavers always wear synthetic layers. Most caves in the US are around 40-55 degrees inside at all times so people sweating into cotton layers for hours on end get hypothermia and have to be rescued.

Not trying to shame anyone just sharing what I've learned bc cardio affects my mental health so much that just... not doing it bc it's too cold outside basically isn't an option for me.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Rutibex posted:

before you boil the bucket of maple syrup, do a couple of curls

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

ram dass in hell posted:

clapton is a long time not locking things enthusiast
god drat

this is stupid. if you're going to throw a party during covid at least make it a good party.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
masks have been nice as it gets cold, if it was colder I'd have a scarf or something to wear but in this warmer part of winter it's nice to be bundled up with something covering my face when it's cold but not so cold that it feels normal to wear scarfs.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Admiral Ray posted:

so are you the lane spitter or did this happen to u

PORQUE NO LOS DOS????

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1341109206750007296?s=19

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the gym i used to go to had the big brain idea where you dont have to wear a mask if youre over 6 ft apart

when i saw that poo poo i cancelled membership

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

open up

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Do we know anything about this new strain?

it's hot

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Zeriel posted:

Same except I'm working and have to try and keep cool while I troubleshoot stuff over the phone.

Oh gah! I just started working on my resume again, I need to change careers and just become a phone psychic or something

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

My anxiety is so bad right now I had to turn off Antiques Roadshow bc it was too high impact. Put on a stream of a fireplace crackling, it's about my speed

Here's a stream from a place they call Seal Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doddZD2j1Ro

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Marx Headroom posted:

You can get around this too by wearing layers. During moderate intensity exercise your body temp goes up and it feels like its about 10-20 degrees warmer, so as long as you're wearing synthetics (not cotton this is very loving important) and wind isn't too bad and your extremities are safe from frostbite, you'd be surprised how cold it has to get for walking around to be dangerous.

The synthetics trap water close to your skin, so when your body heats the water it forms an insulating barrier against the cold. This is the principle behind wetsuits and it's also why cavers always wear synthetic layers. Most caves in the US are around 40-55 degrees inside at all times so people sweating into cotton layers for hours on end get hypothermia and have to be rescued.

Not trying to shame anyone just sharing what I've learned bc cardio affects my mental health so much that just... not doing it bc it's too cold outside basically isn't an option for me.

i'm pretty fortunate to live in a place where the coldest it ever gets is the low 40s at night in feb and march but those sure do feel cold, i don't know how people do it in colder places

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Zisky posted:

You are absolutely not the crazy one. You can't protect your gym buddies but you can save yourself and your loved ones.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shipon posted:

i'm pretty fortunate to live in a place where the coldest it ever gets is the low 40s at night in feb and march but those sure do feel cold, i don't know how people do it in colder places

It's easier to deal with 0-20 than 30-50 and I'm not kidding

25-35 is probably the hardest to dress for

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

nomad2020 posted:

Here's a stream from a place they call Seal Island

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doddZD2j1Ro

Lmao thank you but that eagle just tried to eat a seal :|

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

mastershakeman posted:

25-35 is probably the hardest to dress for

Yeah for me this is the range where I constantly have to go back and forth between 2 and 3 layers

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

facetoucher cat posted:

Lmao thank you but that eagle just tried to eat a seal :|

Bastard animals can't even comfort us right

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If corporations are people so are restaurants

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

restaurants are mostly afaict llps

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

imagine the smell

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

imagine the smell

most of them will have to

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Crazypoops posted:

Bastard animals can't even comfort us right

My cat has been sleeping under the couch bc I was randomly burying my face in his fur while he was sleeping and I guess got fed up with it

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

if theres no wind and the sun is out even 5 degrees is fine. If its really windy 25 can feel miserable. I love the feeling of getting inside after being out in the cold though, its like youre regenerating

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lmao who got mad enough at oocc to buy redtext

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Broke: Covid-2019
Woke: Covid-2020
Bespoke: Covid-20020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU