Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What's crazy is that the original words for "bear" in most European languages are lost to history. "Bera" in Old English just meant brown, you have to go all the way back to proto-indo-european to find a source word that isn't a euphemism.

We know that the original word evolved to "arktos" in Greek and "ursus" in Latin, so linguists can just theorize based on how other words evolved in English.

Best guess at the moment is something like urht, orht or roht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
So a brown bear is really a brown brown?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

flavor.flv posted:

What's crazy is that the original words for "bear" in most European languages are lost to history. "Bera" in Old English just meant brown, you have to go all the way back to proto-indo-european to find a source word that isn't a euphemism.

We know that the original word evolved to "arktos" in Greek and "ursus" in Latin, so linguists can just theorize based on how other words evolved in English.

Best guess at the moment is something like urht, orht or roht

You know what, I think we're better off not knowing what the true name of bears is. I'm pretty sure that saying something's true name doesn't summon it in any situation, but I don't want to risk the exception of that rule being bears.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Griefor posted:

Saving this etymology next time people making fun of wanting a Coke coke.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Griefor posted:

The scientific name for the Brown Bear is Ursus Arctos, which translates as "Bear Bear".

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Cleretic posted:

You know what, I think we're better off not knowing what the true name of bears is. I'm pretty sure that saying something's true name doesn't summon it in any situation, but I don't want to risk the exception of that rule being bears.

https://xkcd.com/2381/

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Armageddon and Chasing Amy got Criterion releases.

Piss drunk Ben Affleck commentary is, as far as I know, only on the Criterion edition.

Ben Affleck posted:

I asked Michael, ‘Why is it easier to train oil drillers to become astronauts, than it is to train astronauts to become oil drillers?’ and he told me to ‘Shut the gently caress up.’ So that was the end of that talk.

Ben Affleck posted:

I mean, this is a little bit of a logic stretch, let’s face it. ‘They don’t know jack about drilling’? How hard can it be?! Aim the drill at the ground and turn it on.

Ben Affleck posted:

Stunt acting is always fun to watch. [Makes repeated, exaggerated noises that sound like a child going down a slide.]

Ben Affleck posted:

Have you ever noticed that everybody in all these movies always has to be ‘the best?’ Bruce Willis is ‘the best’ deep-core driller? I didn’t know they rated deep-core drillers. Like, if you went around and asked somebody ‘Who’s the best deep-core driller?’ You know what I mean? Like, ‘I’m the best espresso maker in Manhattan.’ How do you know? Who’s keeping track of these things?

Edit: one more that I love.

Ben Affleck posted:

This is where you have a random helicopter in the background for no real reason, just because you’re a big movie and you’re expensive and you can.

Untrustable has a new favorite as of 14:47 on Dec 30, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
For what it’s worth, many German words for a number of things (like animals) are the description of what it does, looks like, or what happens to it. Some of these are similar in other languages, some are reflected in English, and others are just...interesting.

Schlagzeug = hit thing = drum
Spielzeug = play thing = toy
Flugzeug = flight thing = airplane

Waschbär = wash bear = raccoon
Stachelschwein = barbed pig = porcupine

Krankenschwester = sick sister = nurse.

Linguistics is fun!

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

dialhforhero posted:

For what it’s worth, many German words for a number of things (like animals) are the description of what it does, looks like, or what happens to it. Some of these are similar in other languages, some are reflected in English, and others are just...interesting.

Linguistics is fun!

Let me throw in some Dutch too:

Handschoenen = hand shoes = gloves
Goedkoop = good buy! = cheap
Naaktslak = naked snail = slug (homeless snail)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
In Russian "bear" is медведь (medved), which means "honey eater" and presumably derives from the same sort of linguistic taboo that led to Germans calling bears "brown ones" and Lithuanians calling bears "stompers".

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just like a zombie movie where they refuse to use the word "zombie" and call them "walkers" or something like that

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Doesn't Finnish have like 30 different words for Bear, including "Long-dick"?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Arthur” has a reputation as a super traditional English name, but it probably dates to the Roman conquest and is a derivative of the Roman family name “Artorius”, which itself has to do with bears.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Platystemon posted:

“Arthur” has a reputation as a super traditional English name, but it probably dates to the Roman conquest and is a derivative of the Roman family name “Artorius”, which itself has to do with bears.

"Tiffany" is a name that dates back to the 12th century, but it sounds too modern to be used by medieval fiction/fantasy writers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Swedes say varg (which I think means "killer" or "strangler") as a euphemism for wolf, rather than the real word ulv. Presumably because of the the same superstition as the bear.

As far as I know it's the only Germanic language that does this for that animal. Not even the other Scandinavian languages do.

I remember our Swedish instructor (an old grandma from the northern country) was very hesitant to say the real word and discouraged us from doing it, so the taboo must be pretty strong to some people.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Dec 30, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Beowulf means "Bee-wolf," ie bear

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

dialhforhero posted:

Linguistics is fun!

porcupine comes from French and is literally spiny pork

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pakled posted:

Just like a zombie movie where they refuse to use the word "zombie" and call them "walkers" or something like that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/HESherman/status/1344000400211533824

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

dialhforhero posted:

Linguistics is fun!

'Kranken' being the German word for sick is the best because it also means you get Krankenhaus and Krankenwagen.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Wait a second, my e-book app has had The Great Gatsby in its public domain section since I downloaded it in March. Have I been reading.... illegal books :ohdear:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Daktar posted:

'Kranken' being the German word for sick is the best because it also means you get Krankenhaus and Krankenwagen.
Krankenwiener

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I hope they can get back to Austria to see their doctor!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You should probably get that looked at

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

This is absolute magic

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/littleautomaton/status/1342210312829693952?s=20

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

https://twitter.com/Rahmeljackson/status/1343941817826496513

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/wtfbuildings/status/1343981367462416385?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Daktar posted:

Ich bin krank is great because it has the same energy as just yelling "I'M hosed"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

So objects of power are real after all

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jeremysmiles/status/1343710933454114824

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/RachelMComedy/status/1344384554333831170?s=20

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Huh, I thought it was in the Newseum, but apparently it was returned to the FBI earlier this year.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Mauser posted:

porcupine comes from French and is literally spiny pork

It’s more rooted in Latin with Porcus being the base for pig but it doesn’t matter because French is a Romance language and it’s all the same for this discussion! I was just pointing out how German (and other languages, English included) sometimes literally describe a thing, too!

Linguistics s fun and cool and everyone should learn at least another language well imo!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/kelsienick0531/status/1344340981139832836

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

dialhforhero posted:

It’s more rooted in Latin with Porcus being the base for pig but it doesn’t matter because French is a Romance language and it’s all the same for this discussion! I was just pointing out how German (and other languages, English included) sometimes literally describe a thing, too!

Linguistics s fun and cool and everyone should learn at least another language well imo!

The only foreign phrase I know is "Klaatu Verata Necto."

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

dialhforhero posted:

Oh no doubt, but I think this one comes by way of Old French in the same way a lot of words rooted in Latin did.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oh god what happened now

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Untrustable posted:

Piss drunk Ben Affleck commentary is, as far as I know, only on the Criterion edition.

Edit: one more that I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahtp0sjA5U

It's amazing. You can just hear the open disregard Affleck has for Micheal Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Crane Fist posted:

oh god what happened now
Accused of a “decade long grift where she impersonates a Spanish person,” the entrepreneur and spouse of Alec Baldwin talks about Spain, Boston, her children, Instagram and more.