Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It’s been 30-35 degrees in the valley here since Christmas so some guy decided that was great weather to go cross country skiing on one of the lakes.

Apparently he was in the water half an hour before some people from nearby houses spotted him and called 911 and they got him out, but he’s alive.

But serious JFC how stupid do you have to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I once tried to cross the frozen Charles River to Boston to get to Buzzy's Roast Beef back when i was an MIT student. In my defense I was drunk as hell and it had been sub 20 for more than 3 weeks. Still went for a chilly swim.

Sitting in my car now warming up after doing COVID check in screening for the race team. We had some more late sign ups so the team is still growing to my surprise.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 10, 2021

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Don't worry about your skins my guy, lots of people have G3 skins and are very happy with them

I sold my old AT setup and included the G3 skins for free with a disclaimer that they are worthless and should be replaced asap.

They are old though. Hopefully G3 has gotten their poo poo together since I bought mine 5+ years ago.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Snowboarder dead near Park City in an avalanche on Friday. Sounds like he left from the resort.

UT Avalanche Center posted:

Details are limited, and we will continue to update as we learn more. A 31-year-old male snowboarder from Clinton, Utah was killed in an avalanche in Dutch Draw off of Silver Peak. This is located on the Park City Ridgeline and was likely accessed by riding the 9990' chairlift and accessing the area via the backcountry exit gate. He was not carrying any avalanche rescue gear. The rider’s girlfriend reported the rider had tried to snowboard down the steep backcountry terrain when the avalanche began and caught him.

Preliminary report is gnarly, it took them a while to find his body and get it out, but click the IG link and check out what he was on top of. Yikes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ2BjJDhckM/?igshid=1wh3p1g86vzoj

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Those basal facets are also literally everywhere in CO as well. They are very crunchy if you eat them

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

I once tried to cross the frozen Charles River to Boston to get to Buzzy's Roast Beef back when i was an MIT student. In my defense I was drunk as hell and it had been sub 20 for more than 3 weeks. Still went for a chilly swim.

Sitting in my car now warming up after doing COVID check in screening for the race team. We had some more late sign ups so the team is still growing to my surprise.

drat, I'm glad you're ok.

At least in your case the outside temperature was regularly below the temperature at which water freezes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Eejit posted:

Those basal facets are also literally everywhere in CO as well. They are very crunchy if you eat them

That sucks. I mean I guess I’d take it over zero snow in the east but that can’t be fun knowing it’s down there.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

crosspost from climate change thread

quote:

The Polar Vortex now collapsing, is set to release the Arctic Hounds for the United States and Europe, as we head for the second half of Winter 2020/2021

A Polar Vortex collapse sequence has begun in late December 2020, with a major Sudden Stratospheric Warming event on January 5th, 2021. We will look at the sequence of these events, and how they can change the weather in Europe and the United States in the coming weeks.

According to this modeling it's going to be warm and US snowpack will likely reduce over the next week or so (except for us lucky folks in lake effect zones, thank god, we're over 100" behind last year).

Then the polar vortex collapse may kick in hard with cold air shooting south and maybe it'll snow again everywhere in late January:

Who knows if it's right but it's something to think about.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ought ten posted:

That sucks. I mean I guess I’d take it over zero snow in the east but that can’t be fun knowing it’s down there.

It's always down there man, that's just how the CO snowpack works. You don't get rid of it until a slope rips to the ground.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I hate always being right about the season

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone have ski bibs they like? Mine have these crappy velcro attachments for the elastic which keeps on coming loose.

edit:

Yuns posted:

What course were you etc etc.

I spent enough time on the river to never want to cross it in the winter.

casque
Mar 17, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone have ski bibs they like?

I've been happy with Trew bibs.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

casque posted:

I've been happy with Trew bibs.

This is the bib I use as well (the Trewth). BUT the CAPOW bib arrives tomorrow! Looking forward to it in the back country. My Trewth bibs are hanging in there with about 120 days in them (there really isn't too much wrong with them honestly). I am going to relegate those to the resort.

Another day of meadow skipping. It still amazes me that we had to completely track free powder runs because we were willing to go 3/4 of a mile further up the drainage. It is not even that far. I can only conclude people think it is steep on caltopo as there are a few rock outcroppings you ride around that show up as "dangerous".

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Put a nice gash in my new pants after only 10 days in them this season.

Guess I'll have to see if Arc'teryx will repair them?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone have ski bibs they like? Mine have these crappy velcro attachments for the elastic which keeps on coming loose.

edit:

What course were you etc etc.

I spent enough time on the river to never want to cross it in the winter.
Course 7 and humanities focus on poly sci (Defense and Arms Control Studies) also started minor in 4 too but said gently caress it. if you were at MIT, I assume you were Course 7 too. One of my favorite classes was Genetics and Molecular Medicine at HST

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 11, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

drat, I'm glad you're ok.

At least in your case the outside temperature was regularly below the temperature at which water freezes.
Thank God I fell in very close to shore and that the Charles is super slow moving. Otherwise I'm not sure what the outcome would have been. I was with a bunch of other dudes and 2 of us fell in. So the rest wrangled us out because my hands were too frozen to pull myself up the stone wall to shore.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yuns posted:

Course 7 and humanities focus on poly sci (Defense and Arms Control Studies) also started minor in 4 too but said gently caress it. if you were at MIT, I assume you were Course 7 too. One of my favorite classes was Genetics and Molecular Medicine at HST

hah I didn't know you were MIT also; I was 6-2; pretty confident we didn't overlap (the one relevant additional personal detail I'll add is that I was on the ski team)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

I was 20, and ended up minoring in Poli sci/17 (most useless decision ever).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Alright. you all smarts and stuff. Ha.

E: my girlfriend went to tufts for dental school and she is always sad that Denver doesn't have all the smart people that Boston has with all the Uni's there (especially MIT)

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 11, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Steve French posted:

hah I didn't know you were MIT also; I was 6-2; pretty confident we didn't overlap (the one relevant additional personal detail I'll add is that I was on the ski team)
I was football and pistol

Residency Evil posted:

I was 20, and ended up minoring in Poli sci/17 (most useless decision ever).
I actually enjoyed 17/DACS. I took a bunch of military related stuff like Innovation in Organizations etc.

Out of all the places to meet MIT alum, I didn't realize it would be the SA skiing/snowboard thread.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I wasn’t expecting the other prerequisite to posting in this thread as being an MIT grad.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

I wasn’t expecting the other prerequisite to posting in this thread as being an MIT grad.

I consider us to be in quite good company here.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Sorry nerds, Jerry doesn't care how smart you are. He's faster than you https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1XJzmD6xc/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

woah several of you might know a good friend of mine who as on the MIT ski team from I think 2001-2005ish

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

lol if your alma mater isn't occasionally referred to in midlevel big-3 automotive engineering circles as "the MIT of the midwest"

and then you get to fight with other midlevel engineers over whose alma mater is actually the MIT of the midwest

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

woah several of you might know a good friend of mine who as on the MIT ski team from I think 2001-2005ish

If so we overlapped and I for sure knew him/her. Probably best to keep anything beyond that in PMs

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

Put a nice gash in my new pants after only 10 days in them this season.

Guess I'll have to see if Arc'teryx will repair them?

I’ve gone through their repair program with a lot of gear, they’ll offer to repair it for X dollars or allow you to purchase a new item up to the original cost for X instead.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jesus gently caress even MIT class structure is coded and weird.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

I was football and pistol
I actually enjoyed 17/DACS. I took a bunch of military related stuff like Innovation in Organizations etc.

Out of all the places to meet MIT alum, I didn't realize it would be the SA skiing/snowboard thread.

Funny enough, that's also why I ended up minoring in 17. It also made me realize what classes all of the ROTC/course 16 kids took before going to work for Boeing/etc.

And yeah, it's kind of funny that this thread seems to have the highest concentration of us.

spwrozek posted:

Alright. you all smarts and stuff. Ha.

E: my girlfriend went to tufts for dental school and she is always sad that Denver doesn't have all the smart people that Boston has with all the Uni's there (especially MIT)

I'm curious to hear more about this, as my wife and I may be thinking about a move to Denver as soon as this year. I've spent most of my life in the north east (except for a few years in Wisconsin). My wife has a ton of friends in Denver while I don't. Denver has the major plus of being close to some awesome skiing, but I also feel like the city itself is so...meh. To me, it feels like if you took a strip mall, blew it up over hundreds of square miles, and then decided to put 3x the number of people in it that were meant to live there. And you have to take back roads to get anywhere. And they have traffic on them. So you're stuck in traffic looking at an Olive Garden.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 11, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Yuns posted:

Your plan sounds fine but isn't 100% required. I just took my kids at around 4 years old and threw them into regular half day group lessons/camp (eventually full day) for kids since I'm not a skier. The first few times I did stick around the periphery of the kids learning area just to watch a bit. The instructors at those are super used to dealing with tiny kids and at the camps we went to were great.

Yeah, this makes sense. Doing the camp this year wasn't really an option because of Corona and I didn't think about it until it was too late to budget for (and probably too late to sign up). This stuff is expensive, of course; I figure next year between a season pass for me and a clinic and some more skiing for kiddo I'm looking at a couple grand, and that's without any more gear.

I took her out for the first time yesterday, and we just practiced trying to walk for 10-15 minutes until she got tired. Then I did a little demo for her skiing down one of our smaller hills, and then she asked me to ski down again, carrying her, which I did only slightly nervously; I mentally had a fall/exit plan the whole time that invovled sticking her out of harms way if we went down and we went really slowly compared to how I bomb our woods when I'm testing out my gear, but she thought it was great and I think it made her more excited about it.

This year I just want to get her walking around, maybe learn a little bit about walking up hills and snowplowing down the very small hill in our backyard, and mostly just comfortable with the gear and the idea. I am sure some kids do better than others if you just throw them into a clinic; by personality our kid tends to be a lot more confident doing things around strangers if she's pretty familiar with them, so as long as I avoid teaching her bad habits, I think this is a good idea.

On the "habits" front, when we got her boots on, the first thing she picked up on was "woah, dad, I can lean WAY forward and not fall down in these boots!" ... and I said "yep, and that's how it's supposed to be, because on skis you want to lean forward to be in control!"

This also let me test out my new boots in my newly set bindings; feels great. I'm going back to Mad River tomorrow for a couple hours before work, and probably will try to spend most of the day there Friday (and then come home and pound coffee and THC/CBD/turmeric* and work for 8 hours, ha).

* herbal anti-inflammatories in no way work as well as NSAIDS, but I have hearing issues and tinnitus that make all NSAIDs contraindicated unless they're absolutely necessary. So, snake oil for me!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Eejit posted:

It's always down there man, that's just how the CO snowpack works. You don't get rid of it until a slope rips to the ground.

UT, too. Slopes have been letting go all over the Wasatch this last week, not just in pc. Stuff I rode on sat am off little cloud were big debris piles Sunday. The danger this year will persist into the spring.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I'm curious to hear more about this, as my wife and I may be thinking about a move to Denver as soon as this year. I've spent most of my life in the north east (except for a few years in Wisconsin). My wife has a ton of friends in Denver while I don't. Denver has the major plus of being close to some awesome skiing, but I also feel like the city itself is so...meh. To me, it feels like if you took a strip mall, blew it up over hundreds of square miles, and then decided to put 3x the number of people in it that were meant to live there. And you have to take back roads to get anywhere. And they have traffic on them. So you're stuck in traffic looking at an Olive Garden.

This is a hilarious description and I love it. I would say you are only sort of correct. There is a ton of Denver that is a hell scape like you mention. It is sprawl and traffic. There is a pocket that is really pretty good though. We generally really enjoy living in Denver and will be here another 10 years or so I would guess. I think there are plenty of cool and smart people here but my GF has mentioned it a few times compared to Boston. One of the other things is the city does not go real late. Besides bars there is not a lot of late night food options, the city kind of shuts down, etc. I haven't spent enough time in Boston to know how alive it is real late (vs New York which is always on). We have good food though (lots of cool places assuming they make it through this), lots of music acts, all the sports if you are into that, lots of outdoors, lots of people...., we get all the theater stuff. It is also almost always sunny and even in winter pretty warm. We are getting a lot of people moving here and housing is becoming a major problem, prices are just crazy (for Denver).

Skiing, while pretty good, is not actually that close to Denver. Denver is probably the biggest city close to skiing though. We own a place in Dillon because traffic is completely stupid, I am not sure how people do the weekend warrior stuff at this point (this year has been actually not terrible for traffic since the resorts are limiting capacity). One thing people don't realize is that the summer traffic is just as bad, maybe worse. Camping is very hard, even getting hard to find places on USFS/BLM land.

Denver is pretty good but it is also the biggest city I have lived in (I went to Uni at Michigan Tech so....).

highme posted:

Jesus gently caress even MIT class structure is coded and weird.

This was my take as well.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Yeah, this makes sense. Doing the camp this year wasn't really an option because of Corona and I didn't think about it until it was too late to budget for (and probably too late to sign up). This stuff is expensive, of course; I figure next year between a season pass for me and a clinic and some more skiing for kiddo I'm looking at a couple grand, and that's without any more gear.

I took her out for the first time yesterday, and we just practiced trying to walk for 10-15 minutes until she got tired. Then I did a little demo for her skiing down one of our smaller hills, and then she asked me to ski down again, carrying her, which I did only slightly nervously; I mentally had a fall/exit plan the whole time that invovled sticking her out of harms way if we went down and we went really slowly compared to how I bomb our woods when I'm testing out my gear, but she thought it was great and I think it made her more excited about it.

This year I just want to get her walking around, maybe learn a little bit about walking up hills and snowplowing down the very small hill in our backyard, and mostly just comfortable with the gear and the idea. I am sure some kids do better than others if you just throw them into a clinic; by personality our kid tends to be a lot more confident doing things around strangers if she's pretty familiar with them, so as long as I avoid teaching her bad habits, I think this is a good idea.

On the "habits" front, when we got her boots on, the first thing she picked up on was "woah, dad, I can lean WAY forward and not fall down in these boots!" ... and I said "yep, and that's how it's supposed to be, because on skis you want to lean forward to be in control!"

This also let me test out my new boots in my newly set bindings; feels great. I'm going back to Mad River tomorrow for a couple hours before work, and probably will try to spend most of the day there Friday (and then come home and pound coffee and THC/CBD/turmeric* and work for 8 hours, ha).

* herbal anti-inflammatories in no way work as well as NSAIDS, but I have hearing issues and tinnitus that make all NSAIDs contraindicated unless they're absolutely necessary. So, snake oil for me!

I'll add some thoughts after a handful of days out with our 3 year olds: I have yet to see how well it's really working out in terms of learning, but our kids are not quite at the point where they can really form a real snowplow and control their speed, but we're still taking them out on the hill and holding them between our legs and going down various slopes. Most of the time they need to be supported a bit, but we let them go completely on some of the real flat stuff where I'm not worried about them getting out of control or hitting anything. I'm no instructor and once I feel like they're responsive enough to benefit from it we'll get them lessons, but for now it's a fun time out with the family and they are having a great time, so even if it's not the most productive possible thing we could be doing learning wise, I think it's still beneficial. So my advice is not to be afraid of getting them out there and focusing on just having a good time to start.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My dad was a big proponent of the leash/harness setup for me and my brother when we were that age. My understanding is the leash lets the adult provide some of the strength and stopping power that a 3 or 4 year old lacks, while giving the kid freedom to do some edging and turning. It also gets the adult out of the way of the kid a bit compared to having them between your legs. I'm pretty sure I skied that way exclusively at ages 3 & 4.

Googling around it looks like there are other similar tools meant to achieve the same thing, like a hulahoop or this thing which looks like a more elegant solution to me.

Has this sort of thing fallen out of favor now?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 11, 2021

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

crosspost from climate change thread

According to this modeling it's going to be warm and US snowpack will likely reduce over the next week or so (except for us lucky folks in lake effect zones, thank god, we're over 100" behind last year).

Then the polar vortex collapse may kick in hard with cold air shooting south and maybe it'll snow again everywhere in late January:

Who knows if it's right but it's something to think about.

I like how that quote reads like Canada doesn't exist

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

bawfuls posted:

My dad was a big proponent of the leash/harness setup for me and my brother when we were that age. My understanding is the leash lets the adult provide some of the strength and stopping power that a 3 or 4 year old lacks, while giving the kid freedom to do some edging and turning. It also gets the adult out of the way of the kid a bit compared to having them between your legs. I'm pretty sure I skied that way exclusively at ages 3 & 4.

Googling around it looks like there are other similar tools meant to achieve the same thing, like a hulahoop or this thing which looks like a more elegant solution to me.

Has this sort of thing fallen out of favor now?
I still some leashed kids around. not a ton of them but they are definitely out there. It's always parents though. I've never seen any school or instructor use them. Our resort has a tiny progressive terrain area so there is pretty much no way for the kids to slide out of control very far.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I like how that quote reads like Canada doesn't exist

what's a canada? is it dangerous?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

what's a canada? is it dangerous?

extremely

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yuns posted:

I still some leashed kids around. not a ton of them but they are definitely out there. It's always parents though. I've never seen any school or instructor use them. Our resort has a tiny progressive terrain area so there is pretty much no way for the kids to slide out of control very far.
oh yeah it's definitely a parent-oriented tool, you need a one-to-one kid to adult ratio for starters, and a lot of ski schools won't take kids that young (under 5) in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This sounds amazing
https://twitter.com/ShredHood/status/1348776315277643776

spwrozek posted:

This was my take as well.

It's almost as weird as naming wire types after birds, and what the gently caress is an Arbutus.