Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eQCu3bXTqU

This specific bit kind of permanently defined the intended tone of Hololive folks saying "no watching other girls" to me. I assumed it originally stemmed from idol otaku ribbing on "DD"s though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

trucutru posted:

Even after hearing her otahen single? I think she's trying to murder your ears.

OtaHen Anthem was the best song of 2020.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I love when people over-analyze the 3D anime girl's personalities

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/gawrgura/status/1349521403750572035

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

RealFoxy posted:

I love when people over-analyze the 3D anime girl's personalities

Yeah, and the pearl-clutching is hilarious

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://twitter.com/kiryucoco/status/1349416669907570689

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Coco's outfit reminds me of Setsuka from Soul Calibur, which I guess is sort of the look she's going for

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

But that still doesn't explain the bag of cookie icing. Unless its Ame is just suppose to eat it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Revolver Bunker posted:

But that still doesn't explain the bag of cookie icing. Unless its Ame is just suppose to eat it.

I mean that does sound like something Gura would do.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
"When Gura gives you lemons, eat cake frosting"

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Lily Catts posted:

Coco's outfit reminds me of Setsuka from Soul Calibur, which I guess is sort of the look she's going for

Not quite, the outfit is evocative of the "tsubofuri" (lit. dice throwing) dress style worn by certain women characters in yakuza themed - as you'd expect from Coco - movies like Woman Gambler, Gambling Kitten. Setsuka is dressed as an oiran (essentially the cream of the crop among courtesans in Japan a few centuries back)

The kimono, the half-exposed cleavage, the bandage wrappings are very common fixtures of that style. The only thing she's missing is a tatoo.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Holy poo poo Ame's new ending animation

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Lyer posted:

Incredibly cursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73vNPX6DqA&t=11778s

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bubba no!!!!!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

bubba no!!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/devtesla/status/1349540398360834051?s=20

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Anime will save society.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Kiara and Ina collab very well together, I think it's because of their two completely different vibes.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

I am not remotely surprised. The youtube algorithm is basically set up where it WANTS to send you down a rabbit hole so you spend as much time as possible watching youtube videos, and previously basically the most effective rabbit hole was right wing conspiracy theories. Having a different rabbit hole to send you down instead is genuinely going to lead to a decrease in the amount of people becoming alt-right nutjobs.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lyer posted:

I'm so mad I missed this, I tuned out when she said she was ending the stream

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

reignonyourparade posted:

I am not remotely surprised. The youtube algorithm is basically set up where it WANTS to send you down a rabbit hole so you spend as much time as possible watching youtube videos, and previously basically the most effective rabbit hole was right wing conspiracy theories. Having a different rabbit hole to send you down instead is genuinely going to lead to a decrease in the amount of people becoming alt-right nutjobs.
I dunno about that. There's enough stuff on Youtube to make a rabbit hole out of anything someone might be interested in, not just conspiracy theories and anime girls playing video games. What makes vtubers different from cooking, or sport, or retro electronics, or British panel shows, or anything else?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Vtubers produce long-form content, which results in more watch time, which feeds the algorithm better.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Do longer videos result in more watch time overall, though? Why would an hour-long stream necessarily perform better than 12 different 5-minute clips?

If anything, you'd expect the optimal length to vary dramatically depending on the type of video.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 14, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Watch time goes per video, so a single long video does do better than a bunch of smaller videos.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the algorithm is more complicated than just watch time, (but a lot of this is based off of things youtube has said in the past about how the algorithm works rather than like, having secret knowledge) and includes everything from "how many people click on it after seeing it" to "is it getting a lot of engagement/likes dislikes, comments etc, comments in a live stream may count for this? Along with how frequent a channel uploads (youtube usually wants like, a video or two a day, everyday, but not like 10 videos a day because that's too much). Then, the algorithm tries to give you something similar to what you watched, but usually from another creator.

So combined generally daily or better uploads, with relatively good engagement (especially if stream comments actually count), a sizable amount of clicks/viewers and the fact that the algorithm can then send you off to a clip or another vtuber afterwards vtubers are kinda accidently the perfect storm for how we're pretty sure the algorithm works atm. Knowing youtube though, they'll change it in like 2 weeks to something new and dumb

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Watch time goes per video, so a single long video does do better than a bunch of smaller videos.
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant global watch time across all of Youtube, since that's one of the things the recommendation system is optimising for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The danger is more the vtuber hole linking to the anime hole which then provides another potential link to the alt-right hole.

It’s holes all the way down really.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

njsykora posted:

The danger is more the vtuber hole linking to the anime hole which then provides another potential link to the alt-right hole.

It’s holes all the way down really.
So you're saying we need to watch more vtubers in order to increase their power to save America? I'm on the case, Sam Max!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nessus posted:

So you're saying we need to watch more vtubers in order to increase their power to save America? I'm on the case, Sam Max!

Whirling dervish on a Minecraft server, Max! This rabbit is committing crimes against humanity!

Sounds like a normal Tuesday for me, Sam.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Matsuri is doing Karaoke until she hits 777,777 subscribers, she just sang Let it Go and it was incredible.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I love these goofballs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jttpZLc7vQs

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lyer posted:

here's the criminal responsible

https://twitter.com/Hasksoft/status/1348057247683915777?s=20

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
For anyone interested in the classics, Marin Hayama started a first timer playthrough of OG FF7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7anNmBlG2Yw

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vtubing is praxis

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ina drew some of the 5th gen merch.
https://twitter.com/MOLLYONLINE_of/status/1349612435095752705

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's truly great that Coco has her very own pet gremlin to train. Kanata will soon be too powerful

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

I dunno about that. There's enough stuff on Youtube to make a rabbit hole out of anything someone might be interested in, not just conspiracy theories and anime girls playing video games. What makes vtubers different from cooking, or sport, or retro electronics, or British panel shows, or anything else?

Different types of content can push you into different types of watching habits, and as watching habits go vtubers are actually pretty similar to the watching habits a lot of people in the alt right rabbit hole develop, where people basically have something playing on youtube in the background All The Time. The leading theory I've seen for the youtube algorithm's tendency to basically push people into the alt right is that the algorithm is trying to proactively push people into becoming People Who Have Something Playing In The Background At All Times and the alt right stuff is great for that. But Vtubers are also great for that, so the algorithm is now pushing as many people as possible towards Vtubers now, if we're lucky including people that it would have been pushing towards alt right stuff instead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

reignonyourparade posted:

Different types of content can push you into different types of watching habits, and as watching habits go vtubers are actually pretty similar to the watching habits a lot of people in the alt right rabbit hole develop, where people basically have something playing on youtube in the background All The Time. The leading theory I've seen for the youtube algorithm's tendency to basically push people into the alt right is that the algorithm is trying to proactively push people into becoming People Who Have Something Playing In The Background At All Times and the alt right stuff is great for that. But Vtubers are also great for that, so the algorithm is now pushing as many people as possible towards Vtubers now, if we're lucky including people that it would have been pushing towards alt right stuff instead.
That is the clearest summation fo the entire thing, and of course Youtube would want you watching Youtube 24/7. My God! This is like when Freeza became history's second greatest hero. Except it's Pekora.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Nessus posted:

That is the clearest summation fo the entire thing, and of course Youtube would want you watching Youtube 24/7. My God! This is like when Freeza became history's second greatest hero. Except it's Pekora.

How dare you compare Pekora to Frieza, she is clearly Pilaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CubeTheory posted:

How dare you compare Pekora to Frieza, she is clearly Pilaf.

So Moona is Mai and Kiara is Shu? kinda fits.