Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Neat. I come out of a covid fugue and there are two new comics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

Mordenkainen's Ominous Ambience

Needs to be SRDified.

Moredorkainen's

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

e X posted:

The party having a well thought out strategy is the least D&D thing Rich ever put into the comic.

Roy is missing a rather obvious caveat: when they use the trap to ambush Xykon and fail (and I am not super confident in their chances), they will expose the one defense of the Gate that Team Evil would almost certainly not be able to overcome by themselves.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I for one am eager to see this strip begin life anew as we spend the next several years mulling things over in this hallway wondering why Xykon never came out this same door.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I was thinking they could just camp out in there and wait for their chance to attack, but there's no way that plan will work out.

My theory on what the secret of the cloud.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ikanreed posted:

I can't come up with an in universe or d&dish meaning for yellow fog.

Stinking Cloud.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Where was that strip with a "how many spells to create fog do you need" gag?
edit: note that the paladins are still in their armour+magic items (like cloak), rather than stripped down.

Gun Jam fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 27, 2021

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Lt. Lizard posted:

Roy is missing a rather obvious caveat: when they use the trap to ambush Xykon and fail (and I am not super confident in their chances), they will expose the one defense of the Gate that Team Evil would almost certainly not be able to overcome by themselves.

Unsurprisingly, this issue was suggested over in GiTP. I'm going to quote myself from over there.

Gnoman posted:

Note that the Order had no idea there was anything wrong until Roy's attack failed to connect. This means the tunnels are similar enough to have no giveaway that the trap was disabled.

Note also that the entire reason that Xykon and Redcloak are in this tunnel is that they were chasing Durkon.

So, you're chasing a dwarf and are suddenly attacked from behind by that dwarf's known allies. Either this is the result of a trap so subtle and well made that you went through it repeatedly without noticing, or else the dwarf led you into a preplanned ambush. Which is going to seem more likely?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That assumes they don't see the OOTS leaping out of mid-air and realising something worth figuring out is going on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

MikeJF posted:

That assumes they don't see the OOTS leaping out of mid-air and realising something worth figuring out is going on.

Ideally they would be too dead to act on those suspicions

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Whybird posted:

I'm wondering if it's something like Mind Fog? Seems like something that mashes a Will save would be a useful thing to hit Paladins with if you're planning to interrogate them.

This is why the best defense against Will saves for Paladins is just not knowing anything.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Gnoman posted:

Unsurprisingly, this issue was suggested over in GiTP. I'm going to quote myself from over there.

Redcloak: Wait, so the dwarves we were chasing weren't anywhere in the dungeon and when we returned, they ambushed us together with their human allies from INSIDE of the very same dungeon we were just in. What the hell happened there? I had True Seeing active the whole time so they couldn't hide or use illusions and this whole complex is supposed to prevent any teleportation so that couldn't be it either. Something is extremely fishy here. HOW did they set up that ambush? We should do a thorough sweep of that entire tunnel using every detection spell available, there could be other nasty surprises hiding from us there.

Xykon: lol, whatever nerd.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Piss mist

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Piss mist is stored in the walls

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Redcloak: Wait, so the dwarves we were chasing weren't anywhere in the dungeon and when we returned, they ambushed us together with their human allies from INSIDE of the very same dungeon we were just in. What the hell happened there? I had True Seeing active the whole time so they couldn't hide or use illusions and this whole complex is supposed to prevent any teleportation so that couldn't be it either. Something is extremely fishy here. HOW did they set up that ambush? We should do a thorough sweep of that entire tunnel using every detection spell available, there could be other nasty surprises hiding from us there.

Xykon: lol, whatever nerd.

The Order doubled back is the more reasonable explanation than there's a magical teleporter that they somehow missed.

This is a moot argument, of course. We know it's the reasonable plan, we even talked about it here. It just has to go wrong in some way since "And then they jumped Team Evil from behind and killed them in two combat rounds thanks to the surprise," is a bad ending.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

"And then they jumped Team Evil from behind and killed them in two combat rounds thanks to the surprise,"

At which point Tarquin emerged from the shadows, throughly battered from his encounter with the B-Team but still alive, and holding a big red button for the last gate. "I TOLD you Zykon was just a sub-boss. NOW we will end this story PROPERLY!!!!!"

I just wanna say I love Ochul's resigned "Here We Go Again" expression.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Random Stranger posted:

The Order doubled back is the more reasonable explanation than there's a magical teleporter that they somehow missed.

This is a moot argument, of course. We know it's the reasonable plan, we even talked about it here. It just has to go wrong in some way since "And then they jumped Team Evil from behind and killed them in two combat rounds thanks to the surprise," is a bad ending.

I expect that whoever's set up in the hidden tunnels has a way of knowing that someone's inside.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I pissed, but I mist.

Sorry about that.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yellow mist is generally a visual indicator for sulphuric fumes (also piss mist, but). Which tips the scale towards them being on another plane, likely one of those in a ventral position, rather than a place warded against spells like Sending.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Yellow mist is generally a visual indicator for sulphuric fumes (also piss mist, but). Which tips the scale towards them being on another plane, likely one of those in a ventral position, rather than a place warded against spells like Sending.

It's piss mist though

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know my 3.5 9 hells well enough to say none of them are sulfurous miasmas except the one where everything including the buildings are the fate-worse-than-death still-alive corpse of the previous owner.

Admittedly, the abysses are infinite, and no one cares about the gray wastes enough to elaborate on what's there, so it could be those.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
It's probably fumes from an alchemy lab or something, given how these two were captured.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Permanent stinking cloud is my guess. There's no save and you literally can't do anything to escape if you're chained up.

Nauseated

Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Doubled back how? Redcloak has True Seeing active so any form of stealth or illusion magic is out of question. You can't teleport out of the dungeon. There is no indication that the dungeons have that kind of maze-like design where you can lose your pursuers and return to the entrance trough another passageway of it, but even if they had, Redcloak not taking that in the account when searching for Durkon and posting a sentry on the first fork would be extremely out of character for him.

If Team Evil clears the dungeon, finds no trace of dwarves inside, returns outside and is ambushed by Order of the Stick emerging from a dungeon that was just confirmed to be empty, it raises a bunch of questions that naturally lead to Team Evil re-checking the dungeon more thoroughly. Perhaps not "there is magic teleporter we missed", but definitely "there might be some hidden rooms or secret passages we missed and the Order didn't".

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 27, 2021

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

Permanent stinking cloud is my guess. There's no save and you literally can't do anything to escape if you're chained up.

Nauseated

Experiencing stomach distress. Nauseated creatures are unable to attack, cast spells, concentrate on spells, or do anything else requiring attention. The only action such a character can take is a single move action per turn.

You do get a fort save for strinking cloud, though admittedly you have to save each round so if you're chained up in it then sooner or later you're going to fail, and at that point you're nauseated until you leave the cloud. So yeah, a permanent stinking cloud is not a bad way at all to keep a high-level prisoner chained up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Lt. Lizard posted:

Doubled back how? Redcloak has True Seeing active so any form of stealth or illusion magic is out of question. You can't teleport out of the dungeon. There is no indication that the dungeons have that kind of maze-like design where you can lose your pursuers and return to the entrance trough another passageway of it, but even if they had, Redcloak not taking that in the account when searching for Durkon and posting a sentry on the first fork would be extremely out of character for him.

If Team Evil clears the dungeon, finds no trace of dwarves inside, returns outside and is ambushed by Order of the Stick emerging from a dungeon that was just confirmed to be empty, it raises a bunch of questions that naturally lead to Team Evil re-checking the dungeon more thoroughly. Perhaps not "there is magic teleporter we missed", but definitely "there might be some hidden rooms or secret passages we missed and the Order didn't".

Time for a total asspull!

Durkon has stone shaping magic. They could have carved themselves a hidey hole in the side of the dungeon, waited for them to go in and back, then ambush them on the way out. True Seeing can't penetrate physical barriers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Doubled back how?

Went into a different door. Kept running and got out of sight then came back. Got around Team Evil as they were approaching by wearing gray cloaks and looking like rocks. It's not a difficult thing to fill in a blank here.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MikeJF posted:

"Shoot, that elf wizard (the hero) who I failed to killed way back has got some tricks!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Order is already under the assumption that if they lose against Team Evil, nobody else is coming to carry on the fight. Who cares if their method of ambush has a chance of letting the villains sniff out the secret of the Gate? They'd have done so eventually, they will only be able to use that information if they kill the Order, and if they win the fight, the world is hosed either way.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This feels like it's setting up for a GM railroading joke.

The party is consciously not exploring deeper down in the secret dungeon that they discovered! They'll just sit there until the "final boss" comes back and then ambush him way ahead of schedule.

How do you get the party back on track? Send your superpowered NPC to ambush them / lead them back to Lien/O'Chul.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well I guess the question might be what is Team Evil going to do if they just can't find the heroes, but are pretty sure that they're hiding somewhere close.

I guess right now they think it's just the two dwarves, but that's still something you wouldn't want to be ready to gank you.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Pretty sure Redcloak was told or realised it's the Order, since he mentions getting rid of one of their primary spellcasters was too important to let slip.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

habeasdorkus posted:

People are overestimating how much Xykon knows about the actual Plan. He's suspicious, but his real irritation with Redcloak stems from the loving about in Gobbotopia and nearly getting his phylactery destroyed.

I think Xykon doesn't know anything about what Redcloak's really up to, but he does know that he only has Redcloak's word to go by about what the Gate ritual does. And he knows that when he asked someone else to take a look and double-check that for him to make sure the spell really did what Redcloak said it did, Redcloak murdered that person basically the instant he found out about it.

He doesn't know for sure that Redcloak is up to something, but he knows that he has nothing else besides Redcloak's word to go on. And Redcloak gave Xykon a pretty clear reminder that his loyalty has limits when he noped the gently caress out after O-chul stole the phylactery.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I’m wondering if his missing eye is ever going to suddenly become plot relevant again.

Like, he and Xykon magically duke it out, and eventually exhaust themselves to the point where they’re reduced to actual fisticuffs, and just as Xykon’s about to finish him off with his superior skeletal strength, he reveals that he’s been hiding a magical gem in his socket the whole time.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Regalingualius posted:

I’m wondering if his missing eye is ever going to suddenly become plot relevant again.

Like, he and Xykon magically duke it out, and eventually exhaust themselves to the point where they’re reduced to actual fisticuffs, and just as Xykon’s about to finish him off with his superior skeletal strength, he reveals that he’s been hiding a magical gem in his socket the whole time.

That'd be fairly deus ex machina, but what better place to hide the phylactery is there?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I believe that the author commentary by Rich said that Xykon didn't press Redcloak on Tsukiko's death, because he didn't want to admit to sending her to look for the ritual. He didn't want to do that, because Redcloak is powerful in his own right.

It was better that both sides continue pretending that neither of them know that the other is making moves against them.

ikanreed posted:

I don't think Xykon has ever even once, gone against an opponent actually stronger than him.

He has, at least once.

Gun Jam posted:

Where was that strip with a "how many spells to create fog do you need" gag?
edit: note that the paladins are still in their armour+magic items (like cloak), rather than stripped down.

Also, when the invisible people were taking them away, they brought their weapons as well, instead of simply leaving them behind. That suggests that the invisible people could be willing to give the weapons back to the paladins at some point.

I'm excited to see what happens next because this screams scene change.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it'd probably be better to wait for Team Evil to get a little outside the door. EDIT: The problem though is that this door specifically didn't have any snow in front of it, which almost certainly means that it WAS cleared by Team Evil recently, so they won't be weakened by any fights.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 28, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I think both Roy's dad's mentor and Darth Vaarsuvius were more powerful than he in terms of raw spellcasting prowess, and he beat them fairly handily by nailing a critical weakness. Dorukan was at least his equal. The Vaarsuvius fight is even what led to the whole "power equals power" speech; V might have been his superior from a statistical point of view, but that matters little when a single spell can shut your poo poo down.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Went into a different door. Kept running and got out of sight then came back. Got around Team Evil as they were approaching by wearing gray cloaks and looking like rocks. It's not a difficult thing to fill in a blank here.

...The strategy Oots decided on is to wait behind the teleporter until Team Evil leave the dungeon and then ambush them while they are weakened and before they manage to return to the base. And unless Redcloak turns into completely different character off-screen, Team Evil will either realize that the dungeon is already cleared, thoroughly search it and discover that the dwarves are not there, or realize that the dungeon is NOT cleared, clear it and then thoroughly search it and discover that dwarves are still obviously not there. Either way, the result is that Team Evil returns from the dungeon they KNOW doesn't have a roving band of adventurers inside and then being ambushed by Oots from specifically the very same dungeon they just have returned from. Redcloak just shrugging and not caring how Oots managed to hide in a dungeon he personally checked after he survives the ambush is more than just "filling a blank here", because again, it would be wildly off-character for him. That assumes both that Oots will perform the ambush and that Team Evil survives it, of course.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Time for a total asspull!

Durkon has stone shaping magic. They could have carved themselves a hidey hole in the side of the dungeon, waited for them to go in and back, then ambush them on the way out. True Seeing can't penetrate physical barriers.

I kinda assume that if you could change the architecture of the dungeons with ordinary spells, Team Evil would have turned the whole place into even bigger Swiss cheese that it already is, instead of clearing the dungeons one by one. Remember that the dungeons were constructed from stones of plot convenience, specifically to prevent bypassing them with the usual spell-caster bullshit like teleportation and stone shaping probably falls into the same category.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ochul was recently hit with a poison dart, probably why he's a bit groggy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Excellent 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
could someone link to the thread at the time of either the Familicide cast, V's reaction to its consequences, or both? would like to see how people reacted to those things live