Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah Yuasa is great. He's also ridiculously prolific, I think one year he had two films out. He's much less exacting than Miyazaki, the animation is Flash-assisted in a really clever way that allows his studio Science Saru to create fluid movements and dynamic camera angles without killing the animators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
Came here to third (fourth?) Yuasa Masaaki! He's my fav contemporary anime director. He's got an arthouse Tex Avery sensibility that really showcases the imagination and fluidity of animation as an artform, in a way that dispenses with the more structural and realistic approach of some the other directors mentioned. Two of his more recent features:

Lu Over the Wall (2017) is delightful, kinda similar premise to Ponyo but looser and wackier. I remember almost nothing about the plot, but you're really in it for the boisterous visuals and ultra-goofy song and dance sequences.

Night Is Short, Walk On Girl (2017) is a cerebral arthouse romance-comedy based on a novel, I think it would appeal to fans of Tampopo. It takes place over a single night and follows a hapless university student as he pursues the target of his affections through an increasingly booze-fueled series of encounters, including supernatural used book markets, spicy hotpot-eating contests, guerilla theatre students, and very silly walk cycles. It is dense with references to Japanese culture which might take a while to absorb, but it's a ton of fun to just let it wash over you as well.

I'm currently watching Kaiba, his 2008 TV series that is basically Altered Carbon meets Looney Tunes. It has a really unique visual style that looks like little else I've seen in animation.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I would recommend Mind Game (I think it's the first movie he directed) for the animation and utter creativity, but I wouldn't call it a good film overall.

Edit: same with Your Name (not Yuaasa). Gorgeous to look at and experience but the story always leaves me thinking it needed a few more drafts.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Pick posted:

I mean, I've read Earthsea, and it's not like, actually good, so I don't really hold that against him.
i am going to fight you with my words and tears

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm assuming AnimeChat OP saw Summer Wars already? That was a blast

I'm rewatching Fox and the Hound and had no idea it was the film Bluth walked out on.

Hiatory-wise it's very interesting (transition piece from Old Disney to Renaissance), but I feel like you can tell what was Bluth-designed and what pieces were shoved in half-done (old hound in the cast).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The Case of Hana & Alice is an animated prequel to a live action movie. It is about the two girls becoming friends. It's directed by Shunji Iwai who doesn't normally do animation, so it's not fantastic visually. The characters are the best part, since they're just great to watch.

In This Corner of the World is a wartime drama but really focused on the lives of people on the home front. There's a bit of romanticization but it feels fine since it comes across as such a personal story (and it does not ignore just how hopeless the situation was).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ani_obsessive/status/1356580878932086785

I REALLY need this.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask about anime movies

For someone who has seen every Miyazaki and every Ghibli, and has nearly finished bingeing the works of Mamoru Hosoda, Makoto Shinkai and Satoshi Kon, what else is there out there in the last five or ten years? Particularly in the fantasy/sci-fi vein, but I also enjoyed all the slice of life Ghibli ones like Whisper of the Heart.

Not really interested in movies that are just the wrap up of some long running tv show. And I’ve seen a bunch of the classics so recent recommendations are appreciated.

Also I’ve seen the stuff by Studio Ponoc since they formed, also I enjoyed that Netflix one A Whisker Away last year

I was going to recommend "Everything Satoshi Kon ever made", but someone already did that so instead I'll recommend The Boy and The Beast because I know you are a furry and the titular beast in that movie is a major DILF.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I was going to recommend "Everything Satoshi Kon ever made", but someone already did that so instead I'll recommend The Boy and The Beast because I know you are a furry and the titular beast in that movie is a major DILF.

Haha I’ve seen it, I mentioned that I’ve been bingeing Hosoda’s stuff. It’s good :allears:

Loving all the recommendations, my list is getting nice and long. Gonna do another animation binge when I next get a week off.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That's dope

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

my favourite thing is that at the time i watched paprika i couldn't afford to watch it in english, so instead i watched it in unsubbed italian, which i don't speak or understand, and it was still an all-time great cinematic experience and i comprehended exactly what was going on at all times except for the bits where understanding the dialogue wouldn't have helped anybody

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My favourite bit is where the big dude is stuck in the elevator and she’s kinda into it

https://youtu.be/akXwKpWTW2w

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Just to pile on, we watched Redline recently and its so rad. Its like the director just did a Scarface-sized pile of coke while watching the Wachoskis' Speed Racer then decided to strip out anything that might be called a plot. I'm not sure its strictly "good", but it's amazing to watch.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

My favourite bit is where the big dude is stuck in the elevator and she’s kinda into it

https://youtu.be/akXwKpWTW2w

Legitimately one of my favorite romantic moments in cinema, and I love the song that plays during it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDp5WmdUn5I

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Boxman posted:

Just to pile on, we watched Redline recently and its so rad. Its like the director just did a Scarface-sized pile of coke while watching the Wachoskis' Speed Racer then decided to strip out anything that might be called a plot. I'm not sure its strictly "good", but it's amazing to watch.

Seconded watching Redline just for its artistry. I feel like the ending perfectly sums up that movie's story by having some of the most intense animation and ending with a freeze frame with some half-assed motion graphics of the word "LOVE"

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

perepelki posted:

my favourite thing is that at the time i watched paprika i couldn't afford to watch it in english, so instead i watched it in unsubbed italian, which i don't speak or understand, and it was still an all-time great cinematic experience and i comprehended exactly what was going on at all times except for the bits where understanding the dialogue wouldn't have helped anybody

I''ve been thinking about watching it again since I posted the trailer. I could dig up a hard drive and hope my :filez: version is there, but I might find another way. Goddamn. if i do still have that file it would be about as old as my account is.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Redline also has FUNKYBOY

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

FUNKY BOY might be the hardest I've laughed since coronavirus landed on our shores tbh

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Paprika introduced me to Susumu Hirasawa who consistently makes amazing tracks.

His OST the only *Good* part of Berserk's 2016 anime.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

FilthyImp posted:

I'm assuming AnimeChat OP saw Summer Wars already? That was a blast

Summer Wars was a ripoff of the Digimon movie :colbert:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Redline is so great. They started making it at just the right time where CG wasn't widespread enough in anime that they could get away with trying to hand draw all those cars. It's insane.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pyrotoad posted:

They were both made by the same guy, so it's more like he just rewrote his fanfiction with original characters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pyrotoad posted:

Funny, I don't remember a to-the-wire game of Hanafuda being the climax of Digimon.

But yeah, same dude.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Paddington 2 had the best prison sequence I can remember in any movie not about prison (e.g. the one where the minions go to prison in Despicable Me 3). I really like how they transition scenes in the first and second one by zooming into a dollhouse as it opens up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

galenanorth posted:

Paddington 2 had the best prison sequence I can remember in any movie not about prison (e.g. the one where the minions go to prison in Despicable Me 3). I really like how they transition scenes in the first and second one by zooming into a dollhouse as it opens up.

I found a whole 20 minute segment of Paddington 2 on YouTube the other day, and it’s the prison bit. Also, I was watching and my friend who does background extra work is front and centre in a couple of shots, which is really cool for me. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuvcFvi2-cI

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i just finished Earwig and the Witch. The character designs were good, the animation was better than I thought it'd be, but it feels like half of a movie. The resolution to it doesn't really feel like effort was put into it, and there's a lot of mystery to the plot that just gets left dangling and unexplored.

its a poor imitation of a ghibli movie :smith:

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 7, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PenguinKnight posted:

i just finished Earwig and the Witch. The character designs were good, the animation was better than I thought it'd be, but it feels like half of a movie. The resolution to it doesn't really feel like effort was put into it, and there's a lot of mystery to the plot that just gets left dangling and unexplored.

its a poor imitation of a ghibli movie :smith:

It definitely feels like 30 minutes of plot stretched into an hour and a half movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

someone earlier in the thread said the book it's based on had the same issue of feeling unfinished.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the book is blatantly unfinished, so I feel like the apparently-very-faithful adaptation being the same way is less a reflection on Goro's skills and more a reason to ask who decided to adapt it in the first place and not Archer's Goon or something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hayao adapted the gently caress out of Howl’s Moving Castle that the author barely recognizes it; there’s really no excuse for little Goro.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just keep thinking Mortal Kombat. Still probably better than the new Mortal Kombat movie is shaping up to be.

(would be funny and very 2021 if they react to the reception of said movie with panicked reshoots to downplay the studio's original character do not steal)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the book is blatantly unfinished, so I feel like the apparently-very-faithful adaptation being the same way is less a reflection on Goro's skills and more a reason to ask who decided to adapt it in the first place and not Archer's Goon or something.

An adaption could have provided the chance to flesh out and finish the story, the way Howl diverged from its source material in the middle. But while Goro is by all accounts a competent storyboard artist I don't think he's up to directing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m super excited for the big premiere of Raya and her Last Dragon on March 5! I’ll pay the extra $30 happily because that’s cheaper than movie tickets for me and my fiancé, and we get to watch it on premiere night in the comfort of our own h—

lmao lmao lmao get hosed Disney, this is why people pirate

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Hedrigall posted:

I’m super excited for the big premiere of Raya and her Last Dragon on March 5! I’ll pay the extra $30 happily because that’s cheaper than movie tickets for me and my fiancé, and we get to watch it on premiere night in the comfort of our own h—

lmao lmao lmao get hosed Disney, this is why people pirate

Yeah that's a dick move. This is your reward for having a country that can maybe reopen movie theaters I guess. You're in Australia right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

wdarkk posted:

Yeah that's a dick move. This is your reward for having a country that can maybe reopen movie theaters I guess. You're in Australia right?

Yup

If Disney didn’t want me to be a pirate then why did they produce, distribute and heavily market a popular film series that advocates piracy

“It’s good to be a pirate and you should too, boys and girls!” - Jake Sparrow, The Pirate of the Caribean

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Hedrigall posted:

If Disney didn’t want me to be a pirate then why did they produce, distribute and heavily market a popular film series that advocates piracy

Only registered members can see post attachments!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

ralph bakshi's earthsea quartet

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I’ve been meaning to ask about anime movies

People have already mentioned them, but 'Night is Short, Walk on Girl' and 'In this Corner of the World' are my favourites of recent years. As far as Yuasa is concerned just about everything is great, except I don't really like 'Lu Over the Wall'–the story is a mess and I don't think it is deliberately so. Still has some great animation though. When it comes to Yuasa's series Kaiba, Ping Pong and Tatami Galaxy are great and all very different. DevilMan Crybaby also but only if you are in a specific mood. He also directed Episode 7, Season 6 of Adventure Time, which features one of my favourite Adventure Time songs.

'Patema Inverted' and 'A Letter to Momo' are good early 2010's movies that seem to slide under most people's radar, but both are worth checking out. Momo if you want a coming of age story that feels kind of halfway between Ghibli and Shinkai. Patema Inverted is just a fun adventure movie with a cool SciFi premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yessss many recommendations, I’m gonna go on a anime spree soon

For now I’m watching Osmosis Jones, this is.... kinda great? The script is full of great biology jokes (“you look like the kind of cell who mostly divides with himself”) and the animation is mwah chefs kiss