Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Stringent posted:

you know, it's not so much hoarding as just having more money than one person could ever possibly use.

it's not like they're being thrifty or using single ply toilet paper or w/e.

i knew a rich dude and he bought an avocado toast just one time and now he is poor and homeless

echinopsis posted:

in 2 months i'll have been here 17 years too god drat it lol. back in the 00s I made a good meet here in chch and many peeps came outta the woodwork, like there was like 20 of us? this was all preyospos. youre the only yosposter I've met. proud of it too

:glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stereotype posted:

i knew a rich dude and he bought an avocado toast just one time and now he is poor and homeless

good

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Stereotype posted:

like there's only so many hours in a day and so much thought that anyone can put into anything and if you expend that effort on deciding if the b or the t should be first because of the quantity of people identifying with that category (or whatever, you're right i don't know the context) then you aren't using that energy to mitigate the fact that 71 million people in the USA voted for Donald "Jfucking" Trump and literally want you to be dead.

My sister is dating someone who voted for donald trump and he believes that being gay is a moral choice and she doesn't seem to care and i am VERY upset with her and i am very frustrated that after i fight that bullshit for a week i then turn around and hear that really the important thing is that arranging it as "LBGQT" is the real problem

im less angry and annoyed thsi morning so let me just kind of spell this out for you.

there isn't a single loving day that goes by that doesn't have me fighting one or several identity based battles. you're right in that the order itself shouldn't matter whatsoever, but there are people who make a point of saying GLBT the same way there's people that make a point of mispronouncing my name, misgendering me, or worse. its just words and it doesn't matter but its just one more thing i have to deal with.

part of becoming happy as a queer is learning what battles to pick and when to shut the gently caress up and not waste any energy on things. like i do not give even a little poo poo when people misgender me because caring about it means i will have to react to this painful thing multiple times a day if not dozens. which is what happens with a lot of folks who are still building out their identities and are frustrated about the state of the world.

like yes there are people doing far worse things to people every day, but being able to facilitate and shape discourse is how you win the war at home. and i don't know how to spell it out for you but like people who specifically pick GLBT are kind of the "all lives matter" of this. i carry an enormous amount of pain from erasure and invalidation from cis white gay men, and I hope you can appreciate this take.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also if yall havent seen it this is a fun insta account

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJag61RB2WR/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

you see the gays got bored with covid and have been continuing to do circuit parties all year. and i do mean all year.

A New Year’s Eve Gay Cruise Sank in Puerto Vallarta, and Gay Instagram Is Exploding

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
yeah, the whole glbt thing is basically irl trolling at best. if someone just got the letters mixed up that’d be one thing, but doing it on purpose is sending a message.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Casual Encountess posted:

part of becoming happy as a queer is learning what battles to pick and when to shut the gently caress up and not waste any energy on things.

and i don't know how to spell it out for you but like people who specifically pick GLBT are kind of the "all lives matter" of this.

ugh. it's changing the order of the letters. yes the people doing it are probably being assholes, but thats some middle school level name calling poo poo. i think there are more important things to worry about.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Roosevelt posted:

ugh. it's changing the order of the letters. yes the people doing it are probably being assholes, but thats some middle school level name calling poo poo. i think there are more important things to worry about.

"just ignore those microaggressions, how hard can it be?" - person who is not themselves on the receiving end

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jabor posted:

microaggressions

there’s the word i was looking for

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

when people get called slurs do you tell them to not get worked up because it's just a word?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

SmokaDustbowl posted:

when people get called slurs do you tell them to not get worked up because it's just a word?

no, i don't. i do think changing the order of the letters is some petty, catty bullshit. just don't let the shitheads bring you down.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Roosevelt posted:

no, i don't. i do think changing the order of the letters is some petty, catty bullshit. just don't let the shitheads bring you down.

it seems a bit like if every time you saw a co-worker, they grinned and loudly said "oh look, it's poindexter!" it might be funny for a few days. but if they kept it up every time you saw them for weeks, months eventually you'd want to murder them

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

casual encountess was already making that point, but with more eloquence and the addition of personal experience. so your post that went little more than "lol who cares about words" did not exactly substantially contribute.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

ok, i'm out of my depth and apologize that i'm not recognizing the insult as well as i should. no disrespect intended

also, lou dobbs got fired

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like i’m trying not be pissy here but you are literally doing the thing i just wasted a bunch of labor explaining so like, please look inside yourself for a minute and try to understand why this kind of thing upsets me

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's really really cold here. forzen hellworld

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it's really really cold here. forzen hellworld

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-50_metric_e.html

look on the bright side, it's nice and sunny all week!

because it's too cold for much else

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stereotype posted:

like there's only so many hours in a day and so much thought that anyone can put into anything and if you expend that effort on deciding if the b or the t should be first because of the quantity of people identifying with that category (or whatever, you're right i don't know the context) then you aren't using that energy to mitigate the fact that 71 million people in the USA voted for Donald "Jfucking" Trump and literally want you to be dead.

My sister is dating someone who voted for donald trump and he believes that being gay is a moral choice and she doesn't seem to care and i am VERY upset with her and i am very frustrated that after i fight that bullshit for a week i then turn around and hear that really the important thing is that arranging it as "LBGQT" is the real problem

you JUST yelled at us for armchair posting instead of doing a activism, so, stop wasting daylight on multi paragraph whines and go take care of the boyfriend problem.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like yospos is a safe place for the most part and i don’t mind doing a bit of education but like please don’t come at me like this after i tried to calmly explain the effect of micro aggressions and minimizing.

i have been able to build a person where i am happy to dedicate a bit of bandwidth every day to educate and create discourse but not everybody is liek this which is why you get people who get wicked aggy because frankly it’s loving exhausting to deal with day to day. you either let these micro aggressions wash over you like a tide, or you stand your ground.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Casual Encountess posted:

people who specifically pick GLBT are kind of the "all lives matter" of this.

i dunno how y'all can read this extremely easy-to-understand analogy and still go "oh grow up it's just words"

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like i don’t know if you know how it feels to not be acknowledged as a person with a right to exist but i’ve literally had to bleed over this not only for myself but for others in my community. i’m not trying to say my entire life is miserable because it isn’t and i love myself and what i’m doing in my life but please understand the world is full of diverse lived experiences.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1358090685929447424

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
"to use the umbrella word" lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Cops in Alabama saw an indian guy visiting family out for a walk and considered that activity enough to stop and question him. He didn't speak English, so they beat him so bad he couldn't walk anymore. Cool.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Cops in Alabama saw an indian guy visiting family out for a walk and considered that activity enough to stop and question him. He didn't speak English, so they beat him so bad he couldn't walk anymore. Cool.

Buddy of mine is half Cambodian and worked construction from age 18 and advanced quickly. around 22 he paid cash for a brand new turbo volvo sedan and the Springdale, AR police department pulled him over for Driving Nice Car While Brown so many times that he sued the PD and got a hundred thousand dollars out of them.

Apr 7, 2003

My grandfather on my mom's side is from Puerto Rico, my dad's side is all Slovak, so I kinda look Italian as a result, whatever, never been a problem here.

butttttt I used to work in telecom construction and get nice and tanned, and once when I was sitting in a restaurant in South Carolina an old man actually came to my table and asked me if I was "one of them mexicans". What the gently caress lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

was it alabama that lost out on a Nissan (or something) plant because they arrested some of their employees because the cops didn’t understand passports and visas?

Apr 7, 2003

My favorite deep south story is the former yosposter who lost his loving mind and went apeshit at Fedex because they delivered a diving board and leaned it across the garage door, which meant that his landed gentry wife couldn't just pull in and walk into the house. She had to get out in the Mississippi heat and, gasp, use the front door. Undignified.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

america is a failed state

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beamed posted:

america is a failed state

several of them even

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

Buddy of mine is half Cambodian and worked construction from age 18 and advanced quickly. around 22 he paid cash for a brand new turbo volvo sedan and the Springdale, AR police department pulled him over for Driving Nice Car While Brown so many times that he sued the PD and got a hundred thousand dollars out of them.

i love a story with a happy ending

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I’m not close to my dad anymore but that’s ok, we still love each other. Finally fulfilled his dream of moving to a tiny quaint town, lives in the middle of nowhere in Indiana now. Not sure when we’ll ever visit each other, I kinda miss him :/

He’s the super stoic west Texan type and for a long time he’d only call when something terrible happened (if everything’s fine and dandy why talk on it?)

The man once went to the doctor for some aches in his joints and found out his had had been broken for at least a month and he’d just been kinda living with it.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

you JUST yelled at us for armchair posting instead of doing a activism, so, stop wasting daylight on multi paragraph whines and go take care of the boyfriend problem.

i think she is breaking up with him because she "can't a future with someone her family can't respect" so i guess i succeeded

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm sorry i was argumentative last night i was really drunk

Apr 7, 2003

Stereotype posted:

i'm sorry i was argumentative last night i was really drunk

These forums have rules about posting while drunk.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i dunno how y'all can read this extremely easy-to-understand analogy and still go "oh grow up it's just words"

some people seem fine until they bust out a "of course black lives matter, but isn't it also true that all lives matter? lighten up, they're almost agreeing with you!". it's not that hard to find people who really are that loving dense when you're selecting from computer toucher forum posters

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

:justpost:?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

yeah the drunker the better

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

says the poster constantly on probation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stereotype posted:

says the poster constantly on probation

don’t get on a high horse over this, you still suck for last night

plus tori can’t reach to get on one