Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Rinkles posted:

they got hacked

If the hack includes what it says it does. It's spectacularly lovely for the employees, who inevitably are going to get doxxed and harassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

At least it's thematic

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
this loving sucks

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They prob only had to play breach protocol once to get into their servers.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Hopefully this doesn't affect CDPR's employees. Can't imagine "people are mad at your game and doxxed you" must feel like a good reward for crunching mercilessly.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Release the good cyberpunk hackerman

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zeta Acosta posted:

+1 to kingdom
It's a full on RPG with choices that actually matter and system that work
Story and characters are so so

Yeah Kingdom Come was very good and insanely immersive.

I have extremely fond memories of the quest where I spent 2 in game weeks and several real world days joining a monastery, learning to read, and then helping a drunk priest deliver The Best Sermon

It's legit good

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

:rip:
hopefully it all ends up ok.

Tenzarin posted:

They prob only had to play breach protocol once to get into their servers.

well at least they didn't get fully bartmoss'd

Zeta Acosta posted:

Release the good cyberpunk hackerman

wonder if they're gonna ditch the code or what

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Simone Magus posted:

Yeah Kingdom Come was very good and insanely immersive.

I have extremely fond memories of the quest where I spent 2 in game weeks and several real world days joining a monastery, learning to read, and then helping a drunk priest deliver The Best Sermon

It's legit good

I could never solve those loving book writing minigame ever, I was like the worst priest in training ever.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Nothing good comes out of this. It is bad, bad, terribad.

Like the industry I work in, has as most industries do, a section of unpleasant people in the customer base, but usually not really that tech savvy. I still worry about the day when something like this goes down.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

forest spirit posted:

you start the story as an idiot, essentially.

So just like this game then :v:

Edit:
Yikes. The same thing has happened to them back in 2017.

Were you told through Twitter?

itry fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 9, 2021

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
That's really lovely dude. Your team made a good game and I hope you have an American connection in this somewhere so you can sic IRL Netwatch on this shithead.

At least your rendering engine is too good to end up in a bunch of Chinese phone game re-skins.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Y’all don’t deserve this at all. :(

_____!
May 2, 2004

It wasn't me, I have Kereznikov installed.

I wonder if this will delay the February patch. I wonder how long ago their backups are from?

Edit: based on the ransom note I have narrowed down the suspect

_____! fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Feb 9, 2021

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

_____! posted:

It wasn't me, I have Kereznikov installed.

I wonder if this will delay the February patch. I wonder how long ago their backups are from?

the fact that their two last updates were for hotfixing poo poo they broke trying to fix the game i lost confidence in them for the year.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I would assume a company that makes code for a living would backup every single day? Maybe automatically make a backup every time something is saved? I don't know what I'm talking about but that feels like what should happen.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Yes, they very likely have backups of everything but if the data stolen actually has HR data as claimed, then that data is already out there and it really sucks for the employees. HR data could go from a list of names and titles to salaries, personal addresses, dependents, etc. I feel sorry for the employees who now have to live with this because some manchildren were mad at a video game company.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I would assume a company that makes code for a living would backup every single day? Maybe automatically make a backup every time something is saved? I don't know what I'm talking about but that feels like what should happen.

While code loss is an issue the internal emails the hacker is threating can turn this into a huge headache for CDPR with multiple investor lawsuits going on.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 9, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I said to you CDPR that hacking was OP and needed a nerf and a rework, did you listed to me?? Nooo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hulk Smash! posted:

Yes, they very likely have backups of everything but if the data stolen actually has HR data as claimed, then that data is already out there and it really sucks for the employees. HR data could go from a list of names and titles to salaries, personal addresses, dependents, etc. I feel sorry for the employees who now have to live with this because some manchildren were mad at a video game company.

It doesn't seem like they got hacked because gamers are mad about Cyberpunk. It seems like they got hacked because some criminals want money for doing blackmail. Unless you mean that need to worry about their safety because some psycho gamer that has an axe to grind over Cyberpunk now has their address. Which is a concern but has there ever actually been a case of a pissed off gamer tracking down a dev and doing something to them? I'm not trying to be dismissive I don't be worried if my address was being passed around to god knows who and I don't even make video games.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yeah this is really lovely for the devs at CDPR but I don't think "Gamer Culture" is at blame here

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They did warn us about the high crime rate from the very beginning though.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Shitheads on the internet celebrating this as some kind of a good and deserved thing makes me sick. :(

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

It doesn't seem like they got hacked because gamers are mad about Cyberpunk. It seems like they got hacked because some criminals want money for doing blackmail.
I don't think these two groups are mutually exclusive but, yes, I wasn't clear that - regardless of who is the perpetrator - I'd be concerned if my info was out there considering all the vitriol that gamers have thrown at this game, the studio, and the devs.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So far hackers haven't shown any examples of stuff lifted from the CDPR servers, so it's entirely possible they "only" encrypted a couple of machines. Props to CDPR for disclosing the breach.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

alex314 posted:

So far hackers haven't shown any examples of stuff lifted from the CDPR servers, so it's entirely possible they "only" encrypted a couple of machines. Props to CDPR for disclosing the breach.

They are required by european law to disclose this as soon as it is possible.

Which is a concern but has there ever actually been a case of a pissed off gamer tracking down a dev and doing something to them? I'm not trying to be dismissive I don't be worried if my address was being passed around to god knows who and I don't even make video games.

And as for "gamers" coming to get you, be that as it may - you should also consider people who have very real active stalkers/exes etc. Now that your up-to-date personal info is out there (I'm assuming the data will be dumped somewhere soon), not exactly fun to deal with. I mean, everyone at cdpr had their exposure going up just now. Like your employer is the one place where you have hand over your contact info.

edit: what I'm trying to say is that not everyone walks around with their linkedin profile and favorite pet names on their forehead - for good reasons. These people are now hosed. Data breaches take a real loving psychological toll on the people in the data, regardless of if there is someone malicious out there with the imagination to put it to bad use.

Splorange fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 9, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That feel when a crime is grim, unfair, and undeserved, but also amusingly ironic given the victim's occupation.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Like when a dog catcher is kidnapped?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Like when a dog catcher is kidnapped?

I was thinking more like when a crime writer gets mugged.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If someone wanted to delay things even longer and to make the game eventually worse by doing this, they’re doing a better job of ruining things than actively harmful management ever could.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

necrobobsledder posted:

If someone wanted to delay things even longer and to make the game eventually worse by doing this, they’re doing a better job of ruining things than actively harmful management ever could.

Well, the actively harmful management now has to handle this crisis. This will be the year when the human capital starts to bleed - or they'll manage to turn the ship around. Confidence is at an all time high I'd imagine.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Christ "human capital" is even worse than "human resources"

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You should hear some of the discussions when management robots start talking about people in the same room as such.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hopefully the hack won't affect the common dev too much but I'm also kinda hoping that some of the documents might shed some light on what exactly happen to the company to create such a trainwreck of a game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Etymologically speaking it is a tautology!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hulk Smash! posted:

This happens to companies regardless of the industry. My friends energy consulting group had a similar hack occur. CDPR is vulnerable and anyone can see that, so they are a perfect target for this. And the true threat here is the contract practices stuff since that is implying they hosed over people.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was GOG affected by the hack

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Yes, they should be using a version control system with multiple copies on the network in case there's a hardware failure anyway.

I mean, from a software perspective this isn't a huge deal. They probably didn't lose any code at all. Also, CDPR already releases their games DRM-free so it's not like releasing code would have an immediate impact. Their games also are only singleplayer so far (except Gwent), so they don't have to worry much about leaked source code affecting live services.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was GOG affected by the hack

Doesn't seem like it. In the tweet, it says "the compromised systems did not contain any personal data of our players or users of our services".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Ironic that they got epically pwned by haxors right after patching out a security exploit in their game