Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure udon is often made that way (edit: the parboil and then stir fry)

xtal fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I think fundamentally that would work, but I'd be careful about adding egg to a pan that's just been stirfrying noodles - that's likely too hot and you'll end up with scrambled eggs. You could wait a few minutes or transfer to a bowl first.

You definitely don't need the low heat if you want to get the eggs to a saucy consistency, residual heat will be more than enough.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, there's a certain amount of experimentation involved, because the amount of carryover cooking will depend on the volume of noodles, the pan you're using, how hot you got it before taking it off the heat, and so on.

My personal contemporary carbonara recipe involves frying off the meat in a 12" fry pan, taking it off the heat like 6, 7 minutes before the pasta's ready, pasta goes into a colander, colander is dumped promptly into the fry pan, gets stirred around to loosen any fond or whatever, and then waits for ~60 seconds. When that's nearly up egg gets cracked into a prep bowl where the p. reggiano/pecorino has been grated, whisk that for a couple seconds with a fork, then into the pan to get tossed vigorously until everything's coated. Plate immediately, serve immediately.

That works when I'm making pasta for two. Single serving of pasta gets colder faster, so wants the egg sooner. When I was getting this down I hosed around with an IR thermometer a lot, now I just eyeball it.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

SubG posted:

all the duck stuff

Thanks for the write up. This sounds like a cool way to use everything for different dishes. Will search around for more details on the cassoulet.

Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions as well.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’ve got to say, I’ve never heard of frying pasta to reconstitute it, I’m pretty sure you need to cook it out with water first.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, the Chinese method is always to parcook noodles in water first

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Folks have always said not to use metal utensils in non-stick pans, but does this apply to rounded things like whisks? Will they damage the coating?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah I think a metal whisk is not good for nonstick either. It’s mostly that the metal will be harder than the coating and you can scratch it.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have a silicone coated whisk, it’s great, and I use it in metal pans all the time. I used to use a wooden one, which was OK too

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I use a metal whisk 100% of the time, including in non-stick. You just aren’t going to generate enough force through the extremely thin wires of the whisk to scratch the nonstick coating. Plus, silicon kitchen utensils just perform worse than their rigid metallic counterparts, imo, worse enough that I’d rather avoid using them than baby my $20 tramontina nonstick.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Lawnie posted:

I use a metal whisk 100% of the time, including in non-stick. You just aren’t going to generate enough force through the extremely thin wires of the whisk to scratch the nonstick coating. Plus, silicon kitchen utensils just perform worse than their rigid metallic counterparts, imo, worse enough that I’d rather avoid using them than baby my $20 tramontina nonstick.

The wires being thin has nothing to do with it, the only thing that matters is hardness. You can easily scratch a pan with the tines of a fork for example. Any time metal utensils touch teflon it is going to scratch just because that's how hardness works.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I don't think I've ever needed to whisk in a nonstick skillet, what's the use case there? I normally whisk egg early with the salt so it can sit for 15 minutes prior to cooking, and most anything else I whisk while cooking is a double boiler situation.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I often use a whisk when making dark roux, that's not really something you can whisk before going in the pot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't think I've ever needed to whisk in a nonstick skillet, what's the use case there? I normally whisk egg early with the salt so it can sit for 15 minutes prior to cooking, and most anything else I whisk while cooking is a double boiler situation.

Why would you salt eggs before cooking them? Isn't that just going to dry them out?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I just don't use non-stick skillets.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xtal posted:

The wires being thin has nothing to do with it, the only thing that matters is hardness. You can easily scratch a pan with the tines of a fork for example. Any time metal utensils touch teflon it is going to scratch just because that's how hardness works.

I regret to inform you that hardness and scratch resistance is more complex than the mohs scale. There are plenty of additional factors such as original surface roughness, sharpness of the tool, stress applied, temperature, and more.

Yes, a fork tine can scratch nonstick. This is because it is shaped like a scribe, a tool designed to scratch. It’s much more difficult to make a scratch with the convex side of a spoon stirring gently.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Why would you salt eggs before cooking them? Isn't that just going to dry them out?

I read it once, tried it, and liked it. Same principle for salting meat, including that there's a sweet spot and salting less or more time than the sweet spot is detrimental.

Gives the perfect amount of time to saute any mix-ins, prep tortillas, and sort out drinks :)

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/04/food-lab-american-omelettes-ham-and-cheese.html

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I haven't heard dry them out before. Gritzer does some experimentation here and says it doesn't make a huge difference, though it might in fact improve the texture in a small way.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Making shepherds pit for the first time and have extra mushrooms lying around. Will that be a good addition?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

pro starcraft loser posted:

Making shepherds pit for the first time and have extra mushrooms lying around. Will that be a good addition?

sure why not.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lawnie posted:

This is why I love my chefn spatula (https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Renovated-Switchit-Spatula-Vintage/dp/B0762D6834/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=chefn&qid=1613678223&sr=8-3) -- its a silicone spatula with a metal plate in it to give it some rigidness.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I need to buy dried shrimp for a chinese recipe but it's a little weird that the results on amazon are for cooking and half the results are for turtle food and there's basically no visible difference. Does anyone have any brands they recommend?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

I need to buy dried shrimp for a chinese recipe but it's a little weird that the results on amazon are for cooking and half the results are for turtle food and there's basically no visible difference. Does anyone have any brands they recommend?

Any Mexican or Asian stores near you

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Any Mexican or Asian stores near you
I'd normally go to hmart but I'm not really inclined to buy stuff in physical stores until I can get a covid vaccine.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I wouldn't be surprised if the pet treats are the exact same thing, but any of the ones for human consumption should be fine? I just grab whatever bag is at the Chinese grocery.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

African market around me has dried as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are the dried shrimp for cooking salted? I know some of the shrimp pet treats are freeze-dried and unsalted, maybe that can filter some out for you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Here, buy these if you want dried: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BNHY2SD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Z1YB58J0CM7HYG5DA97F

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the pet treats are the exact same thing, but any of the ones for human consumption should be fine? I just grab whatever bag is at the Chinese grocery.

Yeah the Bonito flake I get off Amazon occasionally is labeled as cat treats on the listing, but it's the same Japanese bag I've seen in p much every Asian store.

Edit: its also like $5 cheaper than the equivalent actual human food labeled ones

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What can I do with two pounds of small scallops

Any crazy effort idea is on the table

Are there good vegetables I could stir fry it with if I wanna leave out noodles or rice

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Are there good vegetables I could stir fry it with if I wanna leave out noodles or rice

Make XO Sauce, you would have to dry then first. And get a bunch of other ingredients.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I did a scallop stir fry using shredded delicata squash in place of the rice. Other than that, I'd do snowpea, scallion, ginger, garlic, shredded carrot, shredded cabbage. All of those would have complementary flavors. Peanut oil for the cooking, maybe a tiny dash of rice vinegar and tamari after cooking instead of any heavy sauce.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Serious eats has a thing on this, as does Kenji's Food Lab book. Salt has a minor impact but if you salt them long enough ahead of time it seems to actually make the eggs better

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/04/does-pre-salting-eggs-make-them-tough.html

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah, odd how they never went back and added an asterisk to the Serious Eats 2014 article which says "not a noticeable difference" to be like "uhh we tested more in 2015 and yeah it's a good idea"

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a good way to store fresh ginger? I don’t really use it very often but I like to have it for stir frys and stuff. It’s cheap enough to toss and replace as needed, but is there a better option? Grate and freeze in 1 tsp portions or something?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dont even have to grate it. Just freeze it whole and grate as you go, any loss of quality over fresh is negligible.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Agreed. I don't really peel it any more, since microplane usually leaves behind the skin.

My MIL bought some 1 tsp freezer cubes of minced ginger and garlic which are great for those every-minute-counts kind of days, and when we run out I'll probably reuse the container to do it all over again. It's only once a month or so, but if say takeout forgot a dipping sauce and you're exhausted (like yesterday), it saves the day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bluedeanie posted:

Dont even have to grate it. Just freeze it whole and grate as you go, any loss of quality over fresh is negligible.

Should I peel it first?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't really peel it any more, since microplane usually leaves behind the skin.

Also fresh (e.g. not papery, still has pinks or greens) ginger doesn't ever need to be peeled, even if you're using it sliced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even if it's papery, I don't peel it if I'm grating it. Makes no difference.