Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bold Robot posted:

I picked up DC:B months ago but finally decided to sit down and play through the campaign. About how many hours should I expect a campaign as the Germans to take? Trying to decide how much I want to try and learn beforehand as opposed to just jumping in, seeing what happens, and then playing a second campaign when it inevitably goes terribly. Like, a WitP campaign takes hundreds of hours so I would and did study a ton before starting that - is DC:B close to that level of time investment per campaign or no?

Just jump in. You can probably run the whole campaign in the time it takes to hit '42 in witp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Checking my steam stats it took me 46 hours to beat the campaign as the German, this includes a few false starts to learn the game, also played while streaming so a regular campaign I'd say maybe around 30-35 hours depending on how fast you play.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but the TF allocation function in WitP:AE is maddening. Why does it consistently show that my troop and cargo capacities are greater than the actual load, then fail the load verification phase, requiring me to "get more ships?" Why, even after allocating sufficient shipping and accepting the load, does the game consistently leave behind [unit]/# sub units in the departing base? As a test, I grossly under-loaded an amphibious convoy and it still left behind motorized support.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's to do with the individual device loads, motorised support has a high load costs so is particularly notorious for this trap, as is stuff like heavy artillery, but I think the game also prioritises direct combat devices so moto support get's doubly screwed.

Can you show us some screenshots of your convoys?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gewehr 43 posted:

Perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but the TF allocation function in WitP:AE is maddening. Why does it consistently show that my troop and cargo capacities are greater than the actual load, then fail the load verification phase, requiring me to "get more ships?" Why, even after allocating sufficient shipping and accepting the load, does the game consistently leave behind [unit]/# sub units in the departing base? As a test, I grossly under-loaded an amphibious convoy and it still left behind motorized support.

It's been a minute since I played but I want to say that certain elements of units need additional naval support to load onto a TF--stuff that isn't just men and supplies, like larger guns or, as in your example, motorized support. It may also depend on what ships are in the TF, like an APA might be able to handle stuff without naval support that an xAP couldn't? I think the solution is to bring in additional naval support. Probably the easiest way to do this is to bring in one of the half dozen or so very small units you get as the US that have like 20 or 30 naval support. I forget what they're called, Port Service Battalion or something like that, and they have a letter in their name (A, B, C, etc.).

Kind of vague but like, I definitely had this same problem so it's not just you.

e: May also be worth posting on the WitP:AE forums on the matrix website if nobody here knows. Their forums are surprisingly helpful. As far as I can tell it's a bunch of older dudes who do very little other than play WitP against each other. They're absolute experts and not as curmudgeonly as you might expect.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 23, 2021

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

It's been a minute since I played but I want to say that certain elements of units need additional naval support to load onto a TF--stuff that isn't just men and supplies, like larger guns or, as in your example, motorized support. It may also depend on what ships are in the TF, like an APA might be able to handle stuff without naval support that an xAP couldn't? I think the solution is to bring in additional naval support. Probably the easiest way to do this is to bring in one of the half dozen or so very small units you get as the US that have like 20 or 30 naval support. I forget what they're called, Port Service Battalion or something like that, and they have a letter in their name (A, B, C, etc.).

Kind of vague but like, I definitely had this same problem so it's not just you.

e: May also be worth posting on the WitP:AE forums on the matrix website if nobody here knows. Their forums are surprisingly helpful. As far as I can tell it's a bunch of older dudes who do very little other than play WitP against each other. They're absolute experts and not as curmudgeonly as you might expect.

Yeah, the port service unit are a godsend for small undeveloped ports.

And the matrix forums works if and only if you've read the manual first and don't even hint at a negative opinion about the interface or game rules.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Bold Robot posted:

not as curmudgeonly as you might expect.

Heavily disagreeing with this, they are all nuts

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I remember one time I not only dared to suggest that maybe small submarines shouldn't cost as much as heavy cruisers for Japan to build, I also had the hubris to propose a possible solution.

I am rarely seized with the desire to flush someones head down a toilet but the response to that certainly did it :v:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Obfuscation posted:

Heavily disagreeing with this, they are all nuts

Your expectations just weren’t low enough

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
At least the Matrix games forums guys actually play their games. The Battlefront forums for Combat Mission were one of the first online communities I posted in, now that was a cesspool. About 1 in 100 posters were terrifyingly knowledgeable and so many of the rest were trolls and morons. The only mercy was that there were surprisingly few neo-Nazis IIRC, unlike many online groups around the WW2 Eastern Front.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
My favorite Matrix forums guys:

-The manual guy who posts angry rants when people ask questions that could be answered by the 300 page manual instead

-The boomer guys who constantly post funny jokes like "gosh, I wish someone would just kill my bitch wife so I could play WitP all day without the nagging"

-The warspite1 guy who has made like million posts that all say "warspite1" because apparently he talks like a deranged pokemon

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Holy poo poo those are on point.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The fact one of the longest threads on the whole forum is a bunch of creepy nerds posting pictures of female celebrities says it all.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The best thread of course is “If you play WITP every other day how many days a week is that?”

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I was going to ask what the warning signs were — y’know, just as a self-check, but I haven’t read a manual in years and I only get curmudgeonly whenever GMT sends out their monthly gaslight, so I think I’m safe for now.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Obfuscation posted:

My favorite Matrix forums guys:

-The manual guy who posts angry rants when people ask questions that could be answered by the 300 page manual instead

-The boomer guys who constantly post funny jokes like "gosh, I wish someone would just kill my bitch wife so I could play WitP all day without the nagging"

-The warspite1 guy who has made like million posts that all say "warspite1" because apparently he talks like a deranged pokemon

You're missing the boomer guy who has some creative boomer energy and makes parody songs and artwork for the game infused with "I'm older than you/ dad joke" energy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The boomer poster who's still running Windows XP and refuses to upgrade.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Drone posted:

The boomer poster who's still running Windows XP and refuses to upgrade.

the guy complaining that the UI doesn't work at 1024x768 resolution

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The guy signing all his posts with "Sincerely, Dave".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The guy signing all his posts with "Sincerely, Dave".

the dudes on model train forums also do this a post will look like

Dear Kvlt!

(Train info here)

THANK YOU,
-BILL

and then he'll have a signature under every post that's the text from his business card. It's totally harmless and they're generally really nice dudes who are wicked helpful but drat their lingo makes me laugh

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Gives me the warm and fuzzies *shrug*

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chickenhawk bonespur wargamer dude with random quotes from Oliver North or something in their forums signature.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

CMO Steam Workshop has quite a few scenarios in Chinese, so I decided to dig into a few. It's kind of uh...

I'm going to try and play a few later and see what it's like. Some of the English comments mention a one sided ORBAT with the Chinese forces stomping on the British. If all else it'll be unique.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

CMO Steam Workshop has quite a few scenarios in Chinese, so I decided to dig into a few. It's kind of uh...

I'm going to try and play a few later and see what it's like. Some of the English comments mention a one sided ORBAT with the Chinese forces stomping on the British. If all else it'll be unique.

Idk sometimes it depresses me to play hyper realistic scenarios based on true events.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Slitherine is having a sale on a bunch of their poo poo this weekend on Steam, so if you're looking for anything in particular, now's the time to take a look.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Slitherine is having a sale on a bunch of their poo poo this weekend on Steam, so if you're looking for anything in particular, now's the time to take a look.

Including for the first time Shadow Empire (at 35% off)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaodai posted:

For £10 I would be tempted to get Scourge of War Waterloo just to play one gimmick game with goons where we laugh about how bad it is.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Anyone have the DLC for Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm and can report on how it is?

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
Might be old news, but NWS announced an expansion to Rule the Waves 2:

"In order to do full justice to jet operations and missiles we are in the process of developing an expansion to RTW2 tentatively called "Ironclads to Missile Cruisers".

The expansion is currently planned to include the following features:

* 1890 start date.
* More detailed treatment of jet aircraft and the resulting modifications to carriers.
* Better simulation of missiles (ASM and SSM).
* Night air operations.
* Persistent ship histories.
* Refurbishing submarine operations and introducing long range submarines.
* Technology and game-play is setup so play through 1970 is fully supported."

I'm not sure how much this is going to add, I find the game gets a little arbitrary by the mid '40s when everyone has hundreds of planes at land bases and the battle generator keeps sending your ships into raids without air cover. It will be interesting to see the last generations of ironclads and a better take on sub operations will be nice.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Can I buy it without having to wait for Gary the Keymaster to rouse from his slumber and manually email me a key?

Because like, Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnoughts is going to be on Steam soon and I don't have to do any of that poo poo to play it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I stopped paying attention to RTW2 when release turned out to be an atrocious buggy mess. Is it actually any good now? (as opposed to just playing more RTW1?)

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Should I bother with the discounted Combat Mission games on Steam or just stick with Gravyteam? I really wish there was a modern Close Combat that didn't suck.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Don't give Battlefront money, even through Steam. They're terrible and they deserve to sink.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Spend that money on gravy DLC with obscure, sometime relatively modern, conflicts.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
CM Black Sea is pretty good. 30% is the biggest discount they have ever had too.

The next CM games on Steam will be Battle for Normandy and the new Cold War one. If they are more appealing to you wait for those.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I stopped paying attention to RTW2 when release turned out to be an atrocious buggy mess. Is it actually any good now? (as opposed to just playing more RTW1?)

It's definitely better than it was last year, but somehow the 1900-1955 grand campaign feels even longer.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pharnakes posted:

Spend that money on gravy DLC with obscure, sometime relatively modern, conflicts.

Count on it

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Did anyone ever figure out how converting Black Sea on steam works if you had bought the engine upgrade?

Yes, I know paying for the engine upgrade was shameful.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

pthighs posted:

Did anyone ever figure out how converting Black Sea on steam works if you had bought the engine upgrade?

S!
You get the steam key from your Matrix games account by redeeming your BF game key there, GE 3 or 4 keys works for this and all the steam keys are GE 4 so if you didn't upgrade you get a free upgrade.
Sincerely dave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
So should I buy panzer corp 1 or 2? I think will also add in war in the east.