Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zaphod42 posted:

The names? Like naming Japan-land "Japan" ? (The Lizardmen aren't called Aztecs)

Yes, the name that Japan itself is fine using for fantasy magical mythical Japan is a perfectly fine name to use, and is literally the only thing I actually even remotely care about keeping. Making up an entirely new faction wholecloth is unnecessary because the lovely racist lore is from the 80s but there's nothing actually racist about the names of the nations (the names of the characters are different and I was not arguing for them).

They're putting Cathay in game, Cathay was also super racist in the 80s and quietly shuffled under the rug, there is no reason they couldn't do the same things with Nippon and Ind and Araby, so why make up entirely new names instead of using the names and inventing entirely new lore characters and units for them, and thus keeping continuity whilst undoing the bad stuff. Which is literally what they're doing with Cathay already anyway.

Cythereal posted:

One thing I absolutely do believe is that GW considers TW3 to be good advertising for Old World. We've already seen a couple of the new Kislev units from the trailer in the promotional materials for Kislev in Old World, and I'd imagine that anything else new we see in TW3 is liable to be in Old World.

It's why I'm pretty sure Cathay is going to be coming out in the Old World alongside Kislev, because otherwise there's really very little reason to have it just be a thing for Total War Warhammer 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Terrible Opinions posted:

It's only about as lazy as most of the Brettonian names, which are often just slightly mispelled or mispronounced names of actual French places and people. To the point that the French translations of GW material just corrects them and has them read as the real life places.

Punching down is different than attacking other white people. Part of France was even owned by England, that's pretty different.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yes, the name that Japan itself is fine using for fantasy magical mythical Japan is a perfectly fine name to use, and is literally the only thing I actually even remotely care about keeping. Making up an entirely new faction wholecloth is unnecessary because the lovely racist lore is from the 80s but there's nothing actually racist about the names of the nations (the names of the characters are different and I was not arguing for them).

They're putting Cathay in game, Cathay was also super racist in the 80s and quietly shuffled under the rug, there is no reason they couldn't do the same things with Nippon and Ind and Araby, so why make up entirely new names instead of using the names and inventing entirely new lore characters and units for them, and thus keeping continuity whilst undoing the bad stuff. Which is literally what they're doing with Cathay already anyway.

So you agree they should change literally everything about it, but you think the name is fine and cool and want to keep that.

Well, we at least 99% agree so maybe don't start with "This is the worst take I've ever seen" next time and we can skip the whole racism flamewar.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Punching down is different than attacking other white people.

Japan isn't down, they're a G7 country with an advanced economy and way more cultural transmission back and forth with the West than any other non-Western country, and they seem to mostly be bewildered whenever someone here gets angry about people appropriating Japanese culture. Obviously going out of the way to be insensitive or give offense would be a bad thing, but even you don't think CA is going to do that, so what the gently caress are we arguing about?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Punching down is different than attacking other white people. Part of France was even owned by England, that's pretty different.

And the British making fun of France is still them punching down, arguably the British can only punch down, their Empire was the greatest in the world and literally every nation it knew felt it's bootheel when it was at full power. Also, the British making fun of the Scottish and the Welsh is absolutely punching down (seriously, the British hosed everyone over very badly for very very long periods of history). You think France was happy the British owned them?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Using an old timey name for a real place isn't punching down so long as the actual content isn't racist. Which given current CA presentation, history with games in that setting, and presumed desire to actually sell poo poo in that region to their established customer base, I doubt that content will be racist except by accident.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Using an old timey name for a real place isn't punching down so long as the actual content isn't racist. Which given current CA presentation, history with games in that setting, and presumed desire to actually sell poo poo in that region to their established customer base, I doubt that content will be racist except by accident.

Especially a name said place uses and likes, compared to just making up some name for the area.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

name + post juxtaposition

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah but at this point we've moved to "Okay, all the LL lord names are racist, the culture is a caricature, the name of the religion is racist, and the unit types are racist, but lets keep the name"

Like, okay, but you're basically splitting hairs here and you've basically agreed with the original point I made. I'm not sure why you're so focused on the name alone and think it has to be saved, but at least we all agree on literally everything else about the lore of that faction needing to be completely deleted and replaced.

I just wish y'all had realized that was what we suggested to start with.

And again not sure why "just change everything" bothers you so much if you agree on the former part, but whatever!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If you ever got that Araby Sandstone event and used that construction cost discount bonus, buddy, I hope you enjoy being in the gulag

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

albany academy posted:

How did i not notice mag ururk thraka before lmao

80's GW seemed to really hate Thatcher (as is right and proper). In addition to Mag Ururk Thraka in 40K, there was an Emperess Magritta in fantasy. Upon taking the throne in Imperial year 1979 she led the Empire into a horrible dark age which it took 400 years to recover from.

Also White Dwarf #81, September 1986 included an Orc War banners with this on it.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I dont know posted:

80's GW seemed to really hate Thatcher (as is right and proper). In addition to Mag Ururk Thraka in 40K, there was an Emperess Magritta in fantasy. Upon taking the throne in Imperial year 1979 she led the Empire into a horrible dark age which it took 400 years to recover from.

Also White Dwarf #81, September 1986 included an Orc War banners with this on it.

hell yeah

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but at this point we've moved to "Okay, all the LL lord names are racist, the culture is a caricature, the name of the religion is racist, and the unit types are racist, but lets keep the name"

Like, okay, but you're basically splitting hairs here and you've basically agreed with the original point I made. I'm not sure why you're so focused on the name alone and think it has to be saved, but at least we all agree on literally everything else about the lore of that faction needing to be completely deleted and replaced.

And again not sure why "just change everything" bothers you so much if you agree on the former part, but whatever!
The only things I expect to be kept in any capacity are the name and their country being where clan eshin and ogres stole ninja stuff from. If only because the name and clan eshin stealing from them is directly referenced in the second game already. Which is all for the best because yeah all the old poo poo needs to do, but it needing to go doesn't mean there is a need to exclude potentially good content inspired by Japanese, Indiana, etc fantasy.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 2, 2021

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

oh yeah totally

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Why are we arguing about the potential addition of a faction for a game that hasn't released yet? This will not be relevant for at least two years. Lets go back to arguing about changing existing races, like why Beastmen will never become good or how Skaven are somehow going to get three more DLCs.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pretty sure the 'mag uruk thraka' thing is just a funny coincidence

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Grand Cathay, Nippon, and Ind have been cancelled. In their place will be the rest of the Skaven clans in lore as three separate DLCs. There is a racist subtext to this

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

can't wait for the pygmies expansion

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pygmies are renamed to Pigmies and are just a Beastmen subfaction with Bebop from Ninja Turtles as the Legendary Lord.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There is still a racist subtext to this

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Why are we arguing about the potential addition of a faction for a game that hasn't released yet? This will not be relevant for at least two years. Lets go back to arguing about changing existing races, like why Beastmen will never become good or how Skaven are somehow going to get three more DLCs.

TW3 main factions are just skaven in obvious disguises

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

There is still a racist subtext to this

Yeah maybe drop bebop

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Punching down is frowned upon but punching Zaphod is a real crowd pleaser

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

Lord_Magmar posted:

And the British making fun of France is still them punching down, arguably the British can only punch down, their Empire was the greatest in the world and literally every nation it knew felt it's bootheel when it was at full power. Also, the British making fun of the Scottish and the Welsh is absolutely punching down (seriously, the British hosed everyone over very badly for very very long periods of history). You think France was happy the British owned them?

But the french conquered the English. We still use french words to describe food, and English for the names of the animals. Like beef when its on the plate, and cow on the farm, and pork/pig. Because the poor english farmed, and the rich french ate.
My point being that making fun of the french is an a sparticusian third word revolutionary act, and its very very brave.

Bob the terrible fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 2, 2021

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wonder if the fact that most of the candidates for new armies are populated by humans who are also the Warhammer equivalent of good guys gives GW and CA pause in implementing them, despite the wildly varying cultures and armies they’d be based on. You’d want to throw in some good and evil non-humans in there. For that we just have the snake men of Khuresh. The oceans are probably home to some dudes we haven’t met yet.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ind has tiger beastmen who live alongside humans iirc.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I wonder if the fact that most of the candidates for new armies are populated by humans who are also the Warhammer equivalent of good guys gives GW and CA pause in implementing them, despite the wildly varying cultures and armies they’d be based on. You’d want to throw in some good and evil non-humans in there. For that we just have the snake men of Khuresh. The oceans are probably home to some dudes we haven’t met yet.

Lost Isles of Elithis are sortof like Warhammer Australia and have High Elves / Sea Elves which could be a good guy faction to mess with that region. And up in the Eastern Steppes you basically have Norscans, although I guess they're chaos.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

They are starting with 4 evil chaos races in game, plus they’ve still got the Chaos Dwarves (evil) and the Ogres (Hungry but Neutral) still to come.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's also the Kerg or Kerghit or whatever. Pretty sure they're supposed to be Mongolians but they worship Chaos and Cathay built a bigass wall to stop them from attacking all the time.

Of course that's also not exactly the best cultural representation but also Mongolians conducted extremely brutal campaigns that killed millions in China and Eastern Europe so I dunno

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just pull a World of Warcraft and have an island rise out of the sea or come out of some mist out on the ocean and *gasp* a whole new faction resided there :O

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

DaysBefore posted:

There's also the Kerg or Kerghit or whatever. Pretty sure they're supposed to be Mongolians but they worship Chaos and Cathay built a bigass wall to stop them from attacking all the time.

Of course that's also not exactly the best cultural representation but also Mongolians conducted extremely brutal campaigns that killed millions in China and Eastern Europe so I dunno

I think the Ogres were also vaguely Genghis Khan era Mongolian themed at some point too. Although it never really overshadowed or was visible compared to the whole tall fat eat anything work for anyone mercenary and hunger obsessed culture.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zaphod42 posted:

quote:

Sanyo Kawasaki - The tale of Sanyo Kawasaki is typical of those stories honoured so much by the Samurai cast of Nippon. Kawasaki was bitterly opposed to the government of his country, which he regarded as weak and liberal. Matters were brought to a head when a foreign ship was seen off the western coast, and the lazy authorities made no attempt to sink it. Such a lost opportunity to cause mayhem and destruction was anathema to the true Samurai, and caused widespread disgust. Sanyo Kawasaki assembled an army and laid siege to the capital. The siege was not a success, however, and Kawasaki committed ritual suicide as a gesture of disdain. This he achieved by the celebrated manner of standing on his head in a bucket of cold water. Sanyo wore plate armour and fought with the magic sword Toyota.[1a]

This conversation has been interesting to read, but I just can't get over this magic sword called Toyota. This whole thing reads like a parody. What the hell was GW thinking when they came up with that?

I want to contact this writer, I want to ask what they were thinking in that writing room all those years ago. Did they run out of Japanese references? What made them go to cars?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Nippon wasn't much of a thing and still isn't, tbh. It was mostly jokes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

The Kergans are mostly like Norscans. The real Mongolians are the "Hung" ( facepalm ) who are non-stop racist stereotypes, but as a result / that's because they haven't really been touched on in a long time.

Cardboard Fox posted:

This conversation has been interesting to read, but I just can't get over this magic sword called Toyota. This whole thing reads like a parody. What the hell was GW thinking when they came up with that?

I want to contact this writer, I want to ask what they were thinking in that writing room all those years ago. Did they run out of Japanese references? What made them go to cars?

It was the 80s, there was no internet and not many people had actually been to Japan so people didn't know as much. And the whole thing was basically an idea they coke-dreamed up one weekend, then everybody said "yeah that's a bad idea lets not do that after all" and they put it down and haven't touched it since.

Again, all the more reason to just forget it ever existed and make up something new instead.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think the Ogres were also vaguely Genghis Khan era Mongolian themed at some point too. Although it never really overshadowed or was visible compared to the whole tall fat eat anything work for anyone mercenary and hunger obsessed culture.

Sort of

They had Fu Manchu mustaches but I'm not sure that's a mongol thing

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

They are, and some of the new sculpts lean on the Fu Manchu aesthetic pretty hard. But they at least try to mix it up now and have a variety of Ogres, so you get some that are women or are dark-skinned and.. that helps I guess?

E:FB

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

The Kergans are mostly like Norscans. The real Mongolians are the "Hung" ( facepalm ) who are non-stop racist stereotypes, but as a result / that's because they haven't really been touched on in a long time.
The Hung are in my opinion a lot worse than most of the other examples of racism here because their stuff was just reproduced on how they're too stupid and evil to have a civilization in 2006, in the same book that actually humanized the Kergans and other Norscan groups.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There’s also the bit where they were terrorising and raiding Cathay so much the Dragon Emperor dropped a meteor on them that destroyed their original lush fertile steppe land and drove them away from the horrid burning dessert that remained. So you know they actually had an attempt at being Genghis Khan and it backfired terribly on them (the Ogres I mean).

In terms of Nippon, what little they do elude to it (Ogre Ninjas and Clan Eshin) seem fairly standard for full mythology Japan. There’s mention of Tengu and Superpower Samurai and almost magically capable ninja assassins. Which is roughly level with what they would bring up whenever mentioning Cathay (literal dragon emperor , terracotta magic army, super powerful warrior monks, the monkey king).

Straight up, if they put in Nippon etc look at what they do with Cathay to get an idea of what they might do to rehabilitate the old lovely racist lore into something new respectful and fun/cool.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 2, 2021

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah if you're going to have an "evil idiot race" it's probably a bad idea to base it on a real culture :stare:

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Dr Christmas posted:

There's no reason that there can't be evil versions of Cathay or Kislev (or Ind or Nippon) lords - same deal as how Tomb Kings had Arkhan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Lost Isles of Elithis are sortof like Warhammer Australia

kangaroo mount when