Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every single one of these dumb culture war issues always turn into they're forcing you into something. They're going to force you to get gay married. They're going to force you to get an abortion. They're going to force you to transition. It's so loving stupid but it keeps happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

quote:

Custody Battle: Biden immigration policies would not help protect children from human trafficking at the border.

quote:

The Love Gov: The Media seems much less interested in Cuomo scandals than Republicans, bias much?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

that's a truly impressive display of naked racism even for branco

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

:yikes:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Jesus christ who publishes branco the daily Stormer??

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Don't forget your kellies nominations! I've only got a partial list, but I think branco is going to be the most nominated cartoonist from 2020.

fool of sound posted:

Jesus christ who publishes branco the daily Stormer??

You're not far off.

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Branco is so loving boring.

He just takes exactly what is being said by Republicans on Fox News and turns it verbatim into a cartoon then calls it a day. There is nothing new or compelling about his takes, it's just effectively transcribing Republican talking points into the medium of politoons.

His art sucks, he put absolutely nothing into the work intellectually, and he is missing that fundamental crazy that makes Garrison so entertaining.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Ampersand, asterisk and hash punctuations, the most evil of all tattoos.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

See that grinning face? that's Branco being just pleased as punch that some woman got hurt so he got more mud to throw at the libs.
that's all any victim is to him- more ammo.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Hm, how should I visually show that they're in an office? I know, a corded phone and two desk pens.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Kind of an odd thing to be irritated by in a thread full of toxicity and abuse.

But whatever helps you cope I guess.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I was doing some digging and found this poem from about 20 years ago that the thread might enjoy. I don't know who wrote it

For those of you who aren't aware
There is a place called Laissez's Fair
And in this place there is a thread
Where art is dying and thought is dead

For in this thread a duck appears
Full of bitter snubs and sneers
Hating libs and kids and jews
And then retreating to his booze

But this duck is mild at most
For there is worse with every post
Lester, Asay, McCoy & Co
Kill them all, kill them slow

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pants Donkey posted:

Oh no, my butt gender!

(And yes, you absolutely apologize to Rockwell for using his work to peddle bigotry, rear end in a top hat.)

Kellies nomination: least disguised bigotry (transphobia).

Kellies nomination: least disguised bigotry (racism).

Both of you can go gently caress yourselves.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

lol "Flag and Cross" couldn't be more fascist-sounding.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

D.N. Nation posted:

lol "Flag and Cross" couldn't be more fascist-sounding.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

ahahaha

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 4, 2021

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Racist *and* ironic, IIRC a major reason gangs like this exist is because of stupid US policies like deporting petty criminals to places they’ve left decades ago and have no family in and having to join gangs to survive.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Those kindhearted ICE agents are just trying so darn hard to save the kids! Look at the worry on their face when there's danger threatening their beloved charges!

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Man, the chuds must have all gotten together on a Zoom call last week, because I've heard no less than four radio programs push the "The Biden administration is CASTRATING our CHILDREN" line fairly hard. Like, just pure fantasyland bullshit. It's bad enough that they refer to gender-affirming surgery as "mutilation" and hormone blockers as "chemical castration", but Jesus Christ, now they're suggesting that the government is going to come in and forcibly trans your child's gender. How far is this rhetoric going to go?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I haven’t looked at a newspaper in years but does drinky duck complaining about black people still somehow get run next to Family Circus and Cathy?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
No, because Cathy stopped running a decade ago. :v:

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I haven't looked at a newspaper in years but does drinky duck complaining about black people still somehow get run next to Family Circus and Cathy?

My paper just dropped it, but looks to be trying to replace it with Prickly lovely.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Nostradingus posted:

Muppets are hand puppets, not marionettes.

They're both. Marionette + Puppet = Muppet. (Apparently that's just a coincidence, but it fits.)

Twelve by Pies posted:

They absolutely care, didn't you hear all the whining about giving Sri Lanka millions of dollars to fix a boat, or the millions of dollars given to gender studies in Pakistan in the first covid relief bill? SO MUCH PORK.

Why are we giving money to other countries when we could be giving it to needy people right here (which I also oppose)?

Raised By Birds posted:

Yeah. It's a parody of Norman Rockwell's Before the Shot.

Never seen this, but I assume it was promoting the new polio vaccine? I remember there was an episode of Sliders where people went Luddite and stopped inventing new technologies after Hiroshima, so polio was still running rampant.

How do I do this now?
Kellies Nomination: Best Edit/Parody

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Oh for gently caress’s....oh....huh....I guess he actually looked at what was in the books. Rookie mistake, buddy!

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Given Dr. Seuss's history of drawing racist war propaganda and then later REALLY regretting it and trying to make up for what he saw as a bad thing he'd done, I can't even believe that the man himself wouldn't go "oh, yeah, that's actually pretty awful, let's not publish that one anymore."

He had that rare talent of being able to self-examine and admit when he was wrong.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Dr. Seuss is a weird case. Besides his obviously racist depictions of Japanese people, he drew some super racist Little Black Sambo cartoons of Africans. But then, also in his catalogue, you'll find some pretty woke political cartoons that suggested he believed in equality for black people.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wildeyes posted:

Dr. Seuss is a weird case. Besides his obviously racist depictions of Japanese people, he drew some super racist Little Black Sambo cartoons of Africans. But then, also in his catalogue, you'll find some pretty woke political cartoons that suggested he believed in equality for black people.

It's entirely possible he saw his depictions as harmless caricatures and also very likely he would have understood otherwise had it been explained to him

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I had optimism left in me, I'd be hoping that this results in a push to reform copyright law and push things into the public domain more rapidly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's weird to think the people crusading for Seuss now would probably be canceling him if he was alive today since he considered the America First ideology on the same level as the nazis.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

They're just ceasing publication, not mass burning them. They'll exist for archival purposes, which is for the best. The only ones I think I read, because the title's spark some recognition are: And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, and On Beyond Zebra!, not that I remember at all what was in them.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
The people this helps most: my lovely, racist family who now have something to bitch about for a couple weeks

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

They're just ceasing publication, not mass burning them. They'll exist for archival purposes, which is for the best. The only ones I think I read, because the title's spark some recognition are: And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, If I Ran the Zoo, and On Beyond Zebra!, not that I remember at all what was in them.

I think most conservatives who are really trumpeting this stupid, stupid cause are under the impression that Biden somehow "cancelled" all of Dr. Seuss' works via executive order. They're so desperate to keep that "we're actually being censored!" high going, so they actively avoid learning that it's Seuss' own estate going "Okay, yikes, we're not going to publish these six specific books anymore."

Somfin posted:

It's entirely possible he saw his depictions as harmless caricatures and also very likely he would have understood otherwise had it been explained to him

My (very white) mom was going to pass down a bunch of her old children's books to my nieces, and included an actual copy of Little Black Sambo in the package. She thought it was just a harmless book about a little kid and some tigers, since it was one of the later editions with illustrations that weren't pure golliwog-style. It took a bit of explaining for her to eventually come around to "Okay MAYBE it's a little messed up" and taking the book out, but she mentioned that it was the only book she had growing up that had a black people in it at all, so she viewed it as representation, in a way. It's possible to have good intentions and still lean into stereotyping and insensitivity without realizing it.

(Mea culpa: Little Black Sambo was one of my favorite books as a little kid. In my defense, I was four, had next to no context about the history of visual stereotyping of people of color, and thought tigers were really cool.)

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I am opposed to If I ran the Zoo because it invented an insult that I was subjected to every day of my childhood:

Nerd

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I haven’t looked at a newspaper in years but does drinky duck complaining about black people still somehow get run next to Family Circus and Cathy?

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2021/03/03/entire-gannett-group-drops-mallard-fillmore/

The entire Gannett group of newspapers just dropped his rear end. They apparently account for over 250 newspapers.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Twibbit posted:

http://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2021/03/03/entire-gannett-group-drops-mallard-fillmore/

The entire Gannett group of newspapers just dropped his rear end. They apparently account for over 250 newspapers.

Interesting; confirms that - as expected at this point - his absence last year was health related. Also confirms that newspapers dropping him hits him directly and immediately in the royalty check, so write to your local papers!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah this Seuss silliness will be brought up non-stop the next time I see my in-laws; my FIL literally believes a nebulous They is trying to ban the Beatles White Album becuz CANCEL CULTURE

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Not to be confused with the New Hampshire Alamo. But he does get credit for the snazzy uniforms.