Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Afonso Alves scored 45 goals in 39 games in the Eredivisie, then moved to the Premier League and scored 10 in 42.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

oliwan posted:

Virgil van Dijk....

Wijnaldum...

Van Dijk went from the Dutch league to Celtic for like £2 million pound, he wasn't like a superstar or anything there from what I can tell. Took him a long time to get to the level he was by the time he signed for Liverpool, after years in Scotland and Southampton improving himself.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Her Dryer posted:

Van Dijk went from the Dutch league to Celtic for like £2 million pound, he wasn't like a superstar or anything there from what I can tell. Took him a long time to get to the level he was by the time he signed for Liverpool, after years in Scotland and Southampton improving himself.

The point being you shouldn't judge a player off of one season or immediately write them off because of what league they came from.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

CyberPingu posted:

The point being you shouldn't judge a player off of one season or immediately write them off because of what league they came from.

i agree but i'd also like to append this with what i'll call 'the jozy clause'

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

kcer posted:

i agree but i'd also like to append this with what i'll call 'the jozy clause'

Yeah, theres a treasure trove of players that have lit up continental leagues only to poo poo the bed in the PL tbh.

Shevchenko tops that list

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Spanish league is not a measure of quality either. Think of all the fuckin flops, Rodrigo, Iago Aspas, Roberto Soldado, Joselu and Juanmi

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

The Spanish league is not a measure of quality either. Think of all the fuckin flops, Rodrigo, Iago Aspas, Roberto Soldado, Joselu and Juanmi

Same with the italian league.

Turns out, maybe some players are just suited to certain styles and aren't just plug and play pieces.*

*Also getting ripped away from a country you like to come live in loving Britain must suck balls.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

*Also getting ripped away from a country you like to come live in loving Britain must suck balls.

I liked it when Tevez said in an interview that Manchester was cold and rainy and the food was poo poo and everyone was like 'what how DARE he'

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
this is not the hockey thread.

well, anyway, go england

bewbies fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Mar 11, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

the sex ghost posted:

I liked it when Tevez said in an interview that Manchester was cold and rainy and the food was poo poo and everyone was like 'what how DARE he'

Di Maria said the same thing and then his house got robbed

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

CyberPingu posted:

Turns out, maybe some players are just suited to certain styles and aren't just plug and play pieces.*

:hmmyes:

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CyberPingu posted:

Di Maria said the same thing and then his house got robbed

speaking of

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12241678/robin-olsen-everton-goalkeeper-victim-of-armed-robbery-while-at-home-with-family

Robin Olsen and his family got robbed while they were in the house, held off at knifepoint.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

speaking of

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12241678/robin-olsen-everton-goalkeeper-victim-of-armed-robbery-while-at-home-with-family

Robin Olsen and his family got robbed while they were in the house, held off at knifepoint.

Do they ever catch these guys? Seems like this happens with some regularity

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Do they ever catch these guys? Seems like this happens with some regularity

Yeah they get caught more often than not

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Dad Hominem posted:

This is all well and good but Jozy balances everything out.

Please show some respect for MLS Cup winner and 2009 Confederations Cup runner-up, Jozy Altidore.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

the sex ghost posted:

I love the pearl-clutching when a FOREIGNER says something in public that the entire native population is well-aware of and bitches about constantly themselves.

Tevez was like the typical “English Footballer Abroad” since he never learned English despite living there for the better part of a decade and would frequently fly back home because he wanted something from his favorite-whatever-the-Argentine-version-of-a-chippy’s is.

Now that I think about it, I’d love to see how he communicated with the team and coaches during his time in China since learning Romance languages/English is a cakewalk compared to Mandarin. Also if he was dumb enough to insult the eternal smog there or something similar.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah I realised how badly I hosed this up about 10 mins after posting it...

ronaldo....

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

TheRat posted:

From The Athletic

What does a personal scout do that the club's scout doesn't? Is this so Ole's agent recommend players for United to sign?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://twitter.com/spursstatman/status/1370111839665807369?s=21

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

After watching a few players join Newcastle from the dutxh league my friends and I came to the conclusion that the Dutch league plays without goalies

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Karl Sharks posted:

ronaldo....

Huh, I actually didnt know he played for PSV.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ilmucche posted:

After watching a few players join Newcastle from the dutxh league my friends and I came to the conclusion that the Dutch league plays without goalies

Hmm I wonder what the other constant might be here?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Newcastle’s Eredivisie imports have actually been pretty good comparatively

Good/ok
- Tiote (RIP)
- Anita
- Wijnaldum
- Janmaat
- Krul

Dogshit
- Siem de Jong

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Chris Wilder's gone.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55254730

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Seems a weird time to sack him, they're already down and there's no one better to bring them back up

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

tarbrush posted:

Seems a weird time to sack him, they're already down and there's no one better to bring them back up

I'm guessing some kind of behind-the-scenes fun, possibly involving a Carlos Tevez mask.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

He was gonna go either way, I guess better now with the slimmest of chances they might avoid relegation(but probs not)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm guessing some kind of behind-the-scenes fun, possibly involving a Carlos Tevez mask.

According to that article there was a falling out with the owner and he's just turned off the money tap. Sounds like wilder was pressing him not to sell the team in the summer to have a proper chance at going straight back up. You hate to see it either way

13 points from safety with 10 games left though. Are they brave enough to call on fireman sam for one last job

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Completely forgot that big sams already stinking the place out at West Brom lol

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

is there a rule that says you can't manage two poo poo teams at once y/n

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
He wasted a crazy amount of money not improving their team. Lunatic if he think he should be allowed to keep the squad together.

His tactic has been sussed anyway.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

the sex ghost posted:

Completely forgot that big sams already stinking the place out at West Brom lol

No no it’s okay, Sheffield can have him

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
It seems unfair since I'm not sure Wilder was working with the best budget.

Sheffield's squad aren't great. Apparently they were in for a couple of players who ended up at Villa and given how Villa have been doing, the story might have been different if Sheffield had the wage budget.

I wonder where this guy is going to end up next season.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Villa are spending like crazy they're not the standard expectation.

Wilder spent £120m on players in two seasons.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

lol at paying £25m for a Liverpool academy player who has scored 0 (zero) goals

that is less goals than the jozy number of goals

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s wild because I thought he was looking absolutely unreal in under 21s or whatever. Bizarre

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

It’s wild because I thought he was looking absolutely unreal in under 21s or whatever. Bizarre

This guy spends a lot of time watching u21s

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

No I mean as in that’s what I read

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FullLeatherJacket posted:

lol at paying £25m for a Liverpool academy player who has scored 0 (zero) goals

that is less goals than the jozy number of goals

who’s that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Rhian Brewster was good at Swansea and I think Wilder latched on to that, but it doesn't seem like Sheffield had any plan for the guy and it was not a good fit. They got rinsed on the fee, though due to post Neymar/Coutinho inflation.

[INSERT Sassassin rebuttal about how Brewster was actually a wasteman or overrated here.]

EDIT: Wilder supposedly viewed Brewster as a "longer term project," but given the budget constraints he had, I'm not sure that was the wisest expenditure.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 12, 2021