Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

BraveUlysses posted:

bah KMC gold chains went from 45 bucks a year ago to 61 bucks now

how long do chains last for most of you?

I think I went about 9,000mi on my last chain (November 2019 to January 2021). Almost never ride in the rain, clean and lube with rock n roll gold weekly. I only replaced it because it wasn't gold enough anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well I thoroughly cleaned it and the cassette up, I measured with a ruler and it's not stretched at all.

I think I'm hearing some chain noise from binding as the chain rolls off the jockey wheel onto the cassette...maybe it's misaligned a bit?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I get between 1750 and 4000 depending on use.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

BraveUlysses posted:

well I thoroughly cleaned it and the cassette up, I measured with a ruler and it's not stretched at all.

I think I'm hearing some chain noise from binding as the chain rolls off the jockey wheel onto the cassette...maybe it's misaligned a bit?

I was having that issue last year only to discover that both jockey wheels were cracked and had to be replaced

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I got an ultrasonic cleaner for my cassette and chain and it looks like taking a Shimano 105 cassette off to clean it is a pain in the rear end

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The chain on my new mtb was trash at 850mi. But generally I expect like 1500-2000 miles.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I got an ultrasonic cleaner for my cassette and chain and it looks like taking a Shimano 105 cassette off to clean it is a pain in the rear end

It requires two specialized tools, but it's not hard per se.

Apr 7, 2003

bicievino posted:

It requires two specialized tools, but it's not hard per se.

What are the tools required? If it keeps me from loving my freehub up with degreaser it's worth the money.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What are the tools required? If it keeps me from loving my freehub up with degreaser it's worth the money.

https://www.rei.com/product/117164/park-tool-fr-52-cassette-lockring-tool

https://www.rei.com/product/151623/feedback-sports-cassette-pliers

Plus a crescent wrench for the lockring tool.

Grab the cassette with the pliers, stick the lockring tool on, remove with crescent wrench.

Reinstallation is the reverse.

No torque wrench required, just get it on gud and tight.

Apr 7, 2003

Cool, thanks! I found the exploded view on Shimano's website so I can use that + the tools.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

You need a Shimano cassette lockring tool (along with an adjustable wrench or ratchet or something to turn it) and a chain whip

The lockring tool is $8
https://www.rei.com/product/117164/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The chain whip is a little more expensive but there are cheaper versions out there, just make sure it will work with whatever number of cogs your cassette has
https://www.rei.com/product/161983/...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

edit: forgot about those pliers bicievino mentioned, never used them but they should work the same

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

You lost the sprint.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
That's because I'm an all-rounder (fat).

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I respect that we both went for rei links.

Those chain pliers are the real deal though, can't believe I made do with chain whips for 30 years.

Apr 7, 2003

Yeah, looking at videos of people using chain whips vs pliers the pliers look a lot easier.

ordered up, super excited to not have to sit in the alley between houses here spraying greasy poo poo on my pants and getting wet. Thanks!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

spraying greasy poo poo on my pants and getting wet

title for the bike maintainance thread

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pliers are waaay easier. Also, something like this is way better too for the lock ring.

Park Tool FR-5.2H Cassette Lockring Tool with Handle - Fits Shimano, SRAM, SunRace, SunTour, Chris King, Others https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXXDJX7/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh my God how did I not know that chain pliers are a thing

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Eejit posted:

Oh my God how did I not know that chain pliers are a thing

I just bought a chain whip last month and now I'm wondering how the hell I didn't notice pliers before I clicked the checkout button

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pliers are waaay easier. Also, something like this is way better too for the lock ring.

Park Tool FR-5.2H Cassette Lockring Tool with Handle - Fits Shimano, SRAM, SunRace, SunTour, Chris King, Others https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FXXDJX7/

I'm going to buy this just so that SRAM and Shimano both come out with mutually incompatible cassette lockrings next year :unsmigghh:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Abbey Bike Tools make a cassette tool with a 3/8” driver in the back to directly connect to a socket or torque wrench. I think the Park Tools you need to interface with the tool using a 1” socket otherwise

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Clark Nova posted:

I'm going to buy this just so that SRAM and Shimano both come out with mutually incompatible cassette lockrings next year :unsmigghh:

Yeah I've never sprung for that cause I would need one each for shimano and campy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

bicievino posted:

Yeah I've never sprung for that cause I would need one each for shimano and campy.

I think you could have a universal one, but it'd be super lovely for Shimano and fairly lovely for Campy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Would a left sided m8000 crank arm (4iiii PM) work on an m785 crank? I’m thinking the answer is yes but I feel like I’m missing something. Q factor is 175mm vs 176mm so virtually identical. Both Hollowtech 2, etc.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

bicievino posted:

the subtle campy flex :discourse:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Before I post it locally, I picked up a NIB 2x11 GRX FC-RX600 crankset with 175mm crank arms that ended up not needing. I’m just looking for the $140 I paid plus shipping.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

26.7, 28.6 for a 25mm and 28mm GP5kTL on the 30mm external respectively.

On CL50s, a 25mm GP5000 TL is 26.75mm so pretty much spot on here too.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

top tip, have a long zip-tie handy and as you take each piece of the cassette off, thread it on to the zip-tie. loosely close the zip-tie when you've got everything transferred over to it, and it'll keep everything in the correct orientation for you.

you can now dunk it in your cleaning bucket like a big ring of keys.

it makes putting it all back on the bike so much easier not having to stress about which way round the little inter-cog spacers go :)

meltie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 20, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Would a left sided m8000 crank arm (4iiii PM) work on an m785 crank? I’m thinking the answer is yes but I feel like I’m missing something. Q factor is 175mm vs 176mm so virtually identical. Both Hollowtech 2, etc.

It should. You could always add one pedal spindle washer if you think you’ll notice that 1mm. (You won’t)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

rode my bike for two hours and now gonna watch a six hour bike race (and drink approximately all the beers)

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I am looking for a new wheelset for my Wolverine which is red with lots of chrome (basket and fenders) so looking for a classic looking wheelset. Lots are out of stock, so I have to wait.

How are the Velo Orange wheelsets? Or am I better off asking in the touring thread on this kind of thing? Local shop can get a Ritchey Logic wheelset through QBP but I didn't know if folks here had suggestions. Trying to keep it at or around $500. 700c / disc

Apr 7, 2003

meltie posted:

top tip, have a long zip-tie handy and as you take each piece of the cassette off, thread it on to the zip-tie. loosely close the zip-tie when you've got everything transferred over to it, and it'll keep everything in the correct orientation for you.

you can now dunk it in your cleaning bucket like a big ring of keys.

it makes putting it all back on the bike so much easier not having to stress about which way round the little inter-cog spacers go :)

Thanks for this, it sounds better than screwing with spacers after the fact because I certainly wouldn't think to mark them appropriately.

Went on our first ride of the season today (February was brutal) and nothing broke or flew off, looking forward to longer rides soon.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I rode 100km today and my right shifter stopped shifting into the 3 or 4 fastest gears halfway through. Got home and fortunately it was just the shifter cable that spontaneously self combusted and nothing wrong with the shifter itself. I had to dig a dozen tiny shards of cable out of the shifter mechanism. Unfortunately the cable was internally routed and the ptfe sheath I had access to had too big of an OD to fit through the hole in the down tube. Had to fish that fucker out of the tiniest slit under the BB with a bent poker tool. Talk about satisfying though once I got it!

All said and done, great bike day.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

My first decent crash, and I was lucky enough to have the Go Pro running lmao.

I did this trail for the first time at night a few weeks ago, go figure I eat poo poo on it in the middle of the day.

Objurium fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 21, 2021

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Objurium posted:

I did this trail for the first time at night a few weeks ago, go figure I eat poo poo on it in the middle of the day.

Ouch but also lmfao

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Objurium posted:

post it you tease

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

post it you tease

I think there's some weirdness going on between desktop and awful app, but here:

laugh at my misfortune

Apr 7, 2003

Objurium posted:

What did you, a bad slip into the gravel on the left?

Apr 7, 2003

The quality that modern gopros put out is wild

I ride down to the river and sit around for an hour taking pictures, and out of like 300 of them 12 look good enough for me to save, meanwhile people are taking badass gopro videos of crashes that look way better than anything I can manage with my D3400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

What did you, a bad slip into the gravel on the left?

I think I was already leaning slightly to the right to get through that corner and steered into a patch of soft rear end sand or silt, and the frame slid out from underneath me to the left as I jackknifed the handlebars to the right.

And yeah, I've been super impressed with the Hero 7 Black and I think they're at least a few iterations beyond that at this point. I jumped from an ancient Contour ROAM to this and the difference is insane, although tbf running the Go Pro at 120+ frames is basically also success through volume, allowing this to be immortalized as it flew off my helmet lmao

Objurium fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 21, 2021