Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1373610951577067522?s=20

heck of an ally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

For some reason it's giving me vibes of that awful Tim Allen chud sitcom but maybe that's just because I haven't watched a multi-cam style show in years.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Not that I have any trust in the Saudis, but I'd like a better source than Some Twitter Rando Who Capitalizes Every Word Like A Schizophrenic Conspiracy Theorist.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

:capitalism:

e: but really, as the US and West shift into other energy sources where is the ME going to sell? Answer - countries that give even less of a poo poo about the environment than Republicans.

TCD fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 21, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

And China’s by-far largest import supplier of coal: Australia.

Coal still makes up over half of the entirety of China’s energy production, though most os domestically supplied. Trending downward, for a variety of pretty obvious reasons like pollution, investment in renewables, nuclear energy, transition to natural gas, the fact that domestic coal production no longer meets needs, etc, but still China uses about as much coal as the rest of the whole world, and Australia is their number one import source.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I don’t understand why it took until 9/11 to harden the cockpit doors. As you note hijackings for monetary/political reasons were a common tactic and airline security/government types understood this, so why not just moot the whole thing by hardening the doors to begin with?

Hell, hijackings to crash the plane for suicidal insurance fraud weren't rare in the 60s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

And China’s by-far largest import supplier of coal: Australia.

Coal still makes up over half of the entirety of China’s energy production, though most os domestically supplied. Trending downward, for a variety of pretty obvious reasons like pollution, investment in renewables, nuclear energy, transition to natural gas, the fact that domestic coal production no longer meets needs, etc, but still China uses about as much coal as the rest of the whole world, and Australia is their number one import source.

And Natural Gas. Australia is now a larger exporter than Qatar.

It's why Australia claiming they are going green is a loving joke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not that I have any trust in the Saudis, but I'd like a better source than Some Twitter Rando Who Capitalizes Every Word Like A Schizophrenic Conspiracy Theorist.

That’s an account that just tweets headlines from the bloomberg terminal. As far as I know, it has never posted anything but.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s an account that just tweets headlines from the bloomberg terminal. As far as I know, it has never posted anything but.

that's correct, it's just a news feed

if someone doesn't trust it, this is SUCH an easily googleable thing, just look it up. googling this reuters article took all of 10 seconds:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...2BD0GK?rpc=401&

"BEIJING (Reuters) - Saudi Aramco will ensure China’s energy security remains its highest priority for the next 50 years and beyond as new and existing energy sources run in parallel for some time, CEO Amin Nasser told the China Development Forum on Sunday."

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Why would we expect Saudi Arabia not to?

Last year, China was the US's third largest recipient in energy exports (1st and 2nd were Mexico and Canada).

It's not as if NATO does any differently, even as they implement sanctions over wars of conquest.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1373648478266654722?s=19

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

mlmp08 posted:

I’ve seen very, very little BBT, and the one bit that “worked” was still just maybe approaching a chuckle but took about three minutes of pain and badness to get to.

And even then the “joke” was mostly that it just fuckin’ sucks to be around the main character at all.

BBT is one of those things that sucks but at least it was extremely easy to avoid, short of hearing “bazinga” sometimes, and at least some people who like... select outfits and hang lights got paid I guess.

Big bang theory is just modern day Friends but everyone is Ross.

I'm sure I stole that from someone.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Wow can't wait for the tear jerking episode where we deal with the terp's family having been killed due to his cooperation with the Americans!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Gotta save up that Very Special Episode for Emmy season.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
BBT is popnerd catnip.

not caring here posted:

Big bang theory is just modern day Friends but everyone is Ross.

I'm sure I stole that from someone.

BBT is just a modern day Cheers.

Also that Call Me Kat show was so bad I couldn't finish the first episode. Sheldon guy threw money behind that, as did Blossom. They took a worn out British sitcom and plowed it directly into the grave on the series debut.

Like putting Reggie Watts in as Taskmaster. Just bad ideas all around.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

Because when it comes to filling out an SF86 or EQIP, admitting to minor infractions is rarely treated harshly. That's by design...you don't want people to start trying to hide things, because THAT is the real concern. If you're desperate enough to lie on federal paperwork under penalty of perjury you are an easy loving blackmail target.

There are a lot of motherfuckers out there with TS/SCI that have burned a weed or two in their day.

Pages ago, but yeah there is def. something more than "I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins" going on with those five. Saw this article last night that said as much

quote:

“While we will not get into individual cases, there were additional factors at play in many instances for the small number of individuals who were terminated.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/white-house-staffers-lose-jobs-drugs-marijuana-76559622

I know multiple people with TS/SCI clearances that smoked a ton of weed in college or even in the months up till they were hired. Guarantee there's other poo poo here that the sources for that story didn't bother to mention. Also 5 people out of hundreds isn't a huge deal. I can also imagine that in addition to the other factors, they likely want to avoid any "Oh Biden just RAMMED through these clearances by fiat, how awful!" bullshit down the road.

Brute Squad posted:

Chuck Lorre (of Big Bang Theory fame, among others) is making a new sitcom. It's about an interpreter gaining asylum and moving in with a GWOT vet he worked with. It's also one of worst things I've ever seen in my life.

https://twitter.com/saeedtaji/status/1372949606204649483?s=20

:yikes:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
lmao already simping for dems decorum dance "imagine if we had a controversy!" like the last 4 years didn't prove they can actually do whatever and no one can stop them.

Plain and simple it is a lovely move by a lovely establishment. The Dems are less openly bloodthirsty for minority blood and it's possible to fight back against them with bureaucracy; but don't think for a second that the lesser of two evils was "good".

If the cabinet wanted to run with the people they hired, they could've. At best, they accidentally lied to an employee at the door; at worst they've been extracting value from everyone that furthers their goals and burning them when they reach them, which I got 600 reasons and a few decades of history to believe the latter over the former.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its also possible that these were people who knew all along that this was the end of their contract, and were willing to be sacrificed on the altar of optics

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wasabi the J posted:

lmao already simping for dems decorum dance "imagine if we had a controversy!" like the last 4 years didn't prove they can actually do whatever and no one can stop them.

Look if it turns out they were terminated because all they did was smoke weed prior to their clearance process, I'll eat my hat. But I'm doubtful that's the case here.

It honestly sounds like a few of the five who were fired went whining to a sympathetic journo who's looking for a scandal and said that it's only about weed when it's likely there's another issue that prevented them from getting a TS/SCI. Like 5 people out of hundreds not getting a clearance isn't a scandal, it's a Tuesday.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Mar 21, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
https://scheerpost.com/2021/03/19/r...pUWCMtUUiW0Ve4Y

Interview with Nader about current state of things and corporate takeover/Dem collaboration in the process

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It could be as easy as "were told to stop when they applied for clearance, didn't stop, got found out in investigation" which I'm aware of happening at least once in a different context than this.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

Look if it turns out they were terminated because all they did was smoke weed prior to their clearance process, I'll eat my hat.

Fruit hat or regular?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Defenestrategy posted:

Fruit hat or regular?

Preferably a man's hat with a plum floating in perfume.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

BBT is popnerd catnip.

BBT is just a modern day Cheers.

Also that Call Me Kat show was so bad I couldn't finish the first episode. Sheldon guy threw money behind that, as did Blossom. They took a worn out British sitcom and plowed it directly into the grave on the series debut.

Like putting Reggie Watts in as Taskmaster. Just bad ideas all around.

For a second I thought you meant he was cast as the villain in the Black Widow movie. That might work and I would applaud Marvel taking a big swing.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1373699911783477253?s=19

Get em Bernie

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

nytimes posted:

KABUL, Afghanistan — Defense Secretary Lloyd J. Austin III landed in Afghanistan’s capital Sunday morning, becoming the first member of President Biden’s cabinet to set foot in the country that is home to America’s longest war.

The United States is tentatively set to withdraw American forces from the country on May 1, the date set in an agreement signed by the Trump administration and the Taliban more than a year ago.

Speaking to reporters before his departure from Afghanistan, Mr. Austin declined to comment on whether the Taliban had met their obligations under that agreement.

“It’s obvious that the level of violence remains pretty high in the country,” Mr. Austin said. “We’d really like to see that violence come down, and I think if it does come down it can begin to set the conditions for some really fruitful diplomatic work.”

Mr. Austin demurred on the idea of setting a different departure date for U.S. forces, saying that Mr. Biden would make that decision.

The secdef talks like mark zuckerberg

We are never leaving afghanistan

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Here's my hot take:

Elon Musk isn't going to help end child hunger or make earth sustainable, or any of that other bullshit, otherwise he'd be doing that instead of loving around with SpaceX, but it is at least feasible the poo poo SpaceX is doing, failures and all, may actually help push advancement in various tech that may help with the aforementioned problems.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

The cleartechnica article is such a poorly written fart huffing session that I wouldn't be surprised if Musky boi wrote it himself.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 21, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Probably over half the utility of space investment is tricking rich nerds who are in the stupid but smart category into developing tech that lessens the blow to lower income people and the climate (maybe).

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Probably over half the utility of space investment is tricking rich nerds who are in the stupid but smart category into developing tech that lessens the blow to lower income people and the climate (maybe).

This is a far better way of posting what I tried to post

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Defenestrategy posted:

Here's my hot take:

Elon Musk isn't going to help end child hunger or make earth sustainable, or any of that other bullshit, otherwise he'd be doing that instead of loving around with SpaceX, but it is at least feasible the poo poo SpaceX is doing, failures and all, may actually help push advancement in various tech that may help with the aforementioned problems.

If we removed Elon Musk from the equation, it'll probably do 10x better. He's garbage and Bernie's right to call him out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also musk isn’t funding spacex. He’s profiting from government funding. He also is just a name at the top and doesn’t actually do anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also musk isn’t funding spacex. He’s profiting from government funding. He also is just a name at the top and doesn’t actually do anything.

This too, Musk (much like Bezos) is just using this as his pet billionaire project. NASA and others are funding most the actual work being done.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

IMO any kind of project that is talking up "letting mankind live offworld" that is not running a totally sealed sustainable colony environment somewhere like Antarctica to actually figure out environmental and energy systems is completely bunk. We've got to get that working long-term with multiple redundancies and even after that have to deal with radiation exposure issues.

Building a completely self-sustaining biosphere type ark in a cold, dark environment is like, step 1 before even thinking about living off world.

e: anyone talking up this kind of poo poo without testing it on earth is probably just trying to milk investors for cash.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

This too, Musk (much like Bezos) is just using this as his pet billionaire project. NASA and others are funding most the actual work being done.

Blue Origin is actually mostly/partially funded out of pocket by Bezos IIRC, something like $1bn/year of his dragon hoard, while Musk has to sell stock and get government/private launch contracts.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

We're more than rich enough (as a society) to do both. But that might put a dent in private profits. Or defense spending, but I repeat myself.

Defenestrategy posted:

Here's my hot take:

Those sorts of resource allocation choices shouldn't be up to him in the first place. A progressive wealth tax that makes it effectively impossible to stay a billionaire makes those decisions more democratic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

C.M. Kruger posted:

Blue Origin is actually mostly/partially funded out of pocket by Bezos IIRC, something like $1bn/year of his dragon hoard, while Musk has to sell stock and get government/private launch contracts.

Its also dragging rear end and not nearly as mature as the government/private launch stuff SpaceX is doing. But yeah, you are right.

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum

CommieGIR posted:

If we removed Elon Musk from the equation, it'll probably do 10x better. He's garbage and Bernie's right to call him out.

Reviewing history I think you might be wrong.

And I don't know or understanding why.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

shame on an IGA posted:

Hell, hijackings to crash the plane for suicidal insurance fraud weren't rare in the 60s

Yeah, but it’s uncouth to talk about it.

It’s happened and been denied in the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

antimatt posted:

Reviewing history I think you might be wrong.

And I don't know or understanding why.

He's not the one doing the work. At all. He only reaps the benefits. So, no, I suspect we'd do fine.

He's a man who bought his way into his "fame" in both SpaceX and Tesla, he's not an engineer and he's just another techbro billionaire who is flirting with the Alt-Right and Libertarian ideals.