Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

zgrowler2 posted:

Amazon refurb and despite being "inspected by Amazon" did not come with the mounting brackets or backplate for the cooler!

I would complain to amazon and have a link to an am4 backplate ready and they'll probably give you credit to the tune of however much it costs. Their customer service (at least in the EU) is generally very good for poo poo like this, I had cause to compain recently when some headphones I bought included an expired/invalid code for 1 month of xbox live ultimate and within like 3 minutes they'd credited my account with what it would cost to buy it separately. Those coolers you were linked still need a backplate to screw into and probably don't come with one. At least the Fuma 2 definitely doesn't because I've built with one recently.

John Murdoch posted:

No comments on this?

I've been second-guessing the mobo and RAM picks and if I can sort those out I can go ahead and push the button. Is 32 gig ultimately overkill, even if I do end up doing some casual video editing/production work down the line?

My main comment would be go for a WD SN550 and save yourself a little money on the NVMe. Also I'm not a RAM expert but people generally recommend 3200 or 3600 CL16 speed as being the best for Ryzens, idk if 3000 CL15 is as good but someone else can comment on that.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Shaddak posted:

Any criticisms welcome. I'm a little iffy on the GPU, but I don't feel like waiting for bitcoin to die.

Same advice about the storage, get an SN550. The windows key is just you pay a guy in SAmart $15 and he sends you a legit key for Windows 10 in about 3 minutes.

And yes the GPU market sucks but for the sake of whatever deity you want don't buy an RX580 for nearly three times the RRP

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I kind of figured, between the AIO and the card being semi-blower most of the heat is directed straight out of the case and I set very aggressive (belligerent, even!) fan curves. Temps are/were just the one thing I have left where I can dick around and have objective results, and I love seeing how far I can push stuff. I guess I’ll just fix up my cables and do my RGB, thanks. Maybe when computer part prices are sane again I’ll go into business building bespoke custom stuff as a hobby.

E:Time spy stress test has me holding steady at 56 degrees GPU and 48 degrees CPU, I don’t think I’m improving on this. I’ll probably make a benchmarking/dumb optimizing thread here in the next few days though, I can’t be the only one who thinks this stuff is weirdly fun.

Nah it is fun for sure.

Maybe you can work on noise instead, if you're bored? Try and make the quietest box possible instead of just the coolest

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

I think I may be at the point where I can’t really up the cooling but I’m open to ideas. Or ideas for other things to do to my computer.
dehumanize yourself and face to RAM tuning

Barry Foster posted:

Maybe you can work on noise instead, if you're bored? Try and make the quietest box possible instead of just the coolest
this could be an afternoon too, i'm trying ride the line between high-performance and running my fans at 80% in my SFF build

I’ll probably make a benchmarking/dumb optimizing thread here in the next few days though, I can’t be the only one who thinks this stuff is weirdly fun.
thread could be cool, i had a lot trying to min/max performance once everything was in the case

never "finished" my tune either, want to earmark a long weekend for that sometime soon

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Same advice about the storage, get an SN550. The windows key is just you pay a guy in SAmart $15 and he sends you a legit key for Windows 10 in about 3 minutes.

And yes the GPU market sucks but for the sake of whatever deity you want don't buy an RX580 for nearly three times the RRP

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I've never installed windows without a physical disc before. How does that work, exactly?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Shaddak posted:

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I've never installed windows without a physical disc before. How does that work, exactly?

You need a clean USB stick of at least 8GB to create the installation media

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Shaddak posted:

You can download the iso directly from Microsoft and use a tool like rufus to make a bootable usb flash drive to run the install from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

e:f,b

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also windows runs fine without a code. You get all the security updates and everything but you can't change your background and other minor things.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ah, ok. My current desktop is refusing to display video, so I guess I'll get someone else to make the stick for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
It's also hard to overstate how much better updating is these days compared with Windows 7 or 8.x. The Media Creation Tool grabs the latest release (right now, Windows 10 20H2) and usually most of the updates released after the initial release bundled in. Cumulative updates are now actually cumulative, compared to the bad old days where you could literally spend an entire day downloading and installing updates to updates.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

Nah it is fun for sure.

I’m at 30 dB idle and 35 under load, I don’t want to go quieter than that because I have tinnitus and like the fan noise.

denereal visease posted:

dehumanize yourself and face to RAM tuning

I know nothing about that at all yet but I’d definitely like to learn about it. I’ll make the thread tonight after I get home, would you be up for making an effort post about that?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Nah m8, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm told this is the place to start: https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4%20OC%20Guide.md#finding-a-baseline

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Shaddak posted:

My first attempt at a build in 9 years.
Any criticisms welcome. I'm a little iffy on the GPU, but I don't feel like waiting for bitcoin to die.

Yeah that GPU price is insane, that same card can be found for ~$450 on ebay. I'd probably get some sort of 2060 or 1660 super or something before a 580 though.

Speaking of 1660 super's, here's my finished build with a 1660 super courtesy of forums poster Canna Happy. Meshify C, 5600x, Msi b550-A pro, 16gb 3600 CL16 RAM. Runs like a dream. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Considering swapping the three 120mm fans in the front for two 140mm's so I can put the shield on the bottom and hide all of those PSU cables. I love how it looks other than that one section.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm new to the whole pc building thing, but I am looking to beef it up

right now in the market for an rtx 3090, ryzen 5950x, only just started looking into mobo. People recommending Dark Hero though they are almost as rare and I dont know if that's appropriate for a build like this? Anything else I should pay attn to? I haven't even begun to look at psu, case, other parts etc

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What are you planning on using a PC for that you need a Ryzen 9 and 3090?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Unreal Engine development

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m at 30 dB idle and 35 under load, I don’t want to go quieter than that because I have tinnitus and like the fan noise.

I know nothing about that at all yet but I’d definitely like to learn about it. I’ll make the thread tonight after I get home, would you be up for making an effort post about that?

Lol your setup is ridiculously good and I’m jealous. Those temps are fantastic, especially At 35 dB under old.

Ram tuning is something that’s challenging and may be worth a look. Tuning ram high also dumps a ridiculous amount of heat and may actually give you a reason to look at cooling.

You could also do something stupid like build a custom loop.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I’m looking to upgrade my GPU. My current setup is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.20GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Z87I Professional Intel Z87 Mini ITX Motherboard
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
GPU: Stock GTX 780 3072MB Graphics Card
PSU: Seasonic 650w

I have a 1440p monitor that can do 60 FPS. I mostly play old games like Morrowind with mods, fart souls or AoE2 so don’t want to break the bank on a new system.

What’s the best value graphics card I can get without running into CPU throttling issues?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Alan Smithee posted:

Unreal Engine development

Rather than build yourself, I'd give a strong consideration using pugetsystems or a similar service for your needs, especially since you're speccing to such high end hardware. Being able to have your whole entire system replaced overnight if there's a hardware failure is fantastic for serious professionals.

I'd get in touch with a pugetsystems rep and they can help you spec to meet your needs too.

Edit: Hey look they have a section for you, with some pretty indepth hardware-choice explanations too.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Unreal-Engine-200

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 22, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How does puget factor in shortages for pricing?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

They’re laughing their heads off because normally enthusiasts might build it themselves but now they cant get parts.

I bet Origin PC and all the other high end PC makers are doing gangbusters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

spunkshui posted:

They’re laughing their heads off because normally enthusiasts might build it themselves but now they cant get parts.

I bet Origin PC and all the other high end PC makers are doing gangbusters.

I almost bought a loving Falcon northwest in the fall so I could get a 3080.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
So, since I spent like a week researching gaming PC parts and I saw a few builds/questions about essentially what I put together, here's my template to get started on researching a gaming PC build. Availability and performance per price is going to depend on local fluctuation, so adjust for that. Put your build into PCPartpicker and they'll usually pick up any incompatibilities. Feel free to ignore/yell at me for my choices.

CPU: AMD Ryzen Zen 3 series. 5600x is the sweet spot (esp. for gaming), 5900x for high end. 5800x has worse value, but is still really good. Intel CPUs are basically DoA for a few generations.
CPU Cooler: 5600x comes with a Wraith Stealth, but reports are that it's loud if you're stressing it. IMO, AIO water cooling isn't worth it, just get a decent air cooler.
Video Card: RTX 3060, 3060ti, 3070, 3080, 3090 are what you want. Radeon 6000 series is okay if you're willing to forgo raytracing and DLSS. If you're desperate enough, you can go for a last gen RTX (2080 super or something). Price per frame benchmark video here but just get whatever you can find.
Motherboard: Trickiest part. General rule is don't get a higher model board (like a X570) if it means you're getting the shittiest one of that type. Spreadsheets comparison here: (1) and (2). Make sure it has all the features you want (like number of USB slots, Wifi, PCI slots if you got a bunch of harddrives, etc.) You don't need anything higher than 1GB Lan unless you're running a local minecraft server maybe? IDK. You may have to update your motherboard to support the Zen 3 CPU.
  1. b450 - older budget board that work, but you're limited to PCIe 3.0. However, benchmarks (1) (2) seem to indicate it won't bottle neck your video card or SSD much if at all (for now).
  2. b550 - generally what every one gets. Recommended models to research are:
    • ASRock B550M Steel Legend
    • MSI B550-A Pro
    • ASRock B550 Pro4
    • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI
    • MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA
  3. See corrections below. x570 - mostly for future proofing or if you can get a good deal. I didn't look at this much.
Memory: This is an easy place to fall into a rabbit hole. tl;dr: 16GB 3200Mhz CL14 or 3600Mhz CL16 DDR4 and check if your motherboard supports it (it should). It's unclear whether RAM speed matters much past a certain point due to the *~Infinity Fabric~* on the CPU and how matching speeds in XMP gives a small benefit. IMO, anything in the range of 3000-4000MHz or CL 12-18 (lower is better) is fine (as long as you don't get the slow end of both). The equation to figure out how (for example) 3000Mhz CL14 compares to 4000Mhz CL20:
code:
1/((RAMspeed/2)/1000) x CL = True Latency in nanoseconds
There's also some evidence that "dual rank" RAM (more common in 2x16GB configs) can give a small performance boost (1)(2), but manufacturers usually don't include this in spec sheets. You can get the same effect if you get a 4 stick config instead of 2 sticks but from reddit threads, it seems like a crap shoot about what you get. Some ordered two sticks and received a single rank and a dual rank. If you're set on dual rank, the easiest way is to get 4x8GB of single rank for 32GB RAM and as a bonus you'll be able to open more than 7 chrome tabs at once.
Storage: SSD for OS and games. Differences between SATA and faster PCIe/NVMe seem to be pretty negligible or outright unnoticeable in loading games. However, the WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 is recommended just because it happens to hit a sweet spot for performance per price, big file transfers and future proofing. If you need to chose, I'd go for size (500GB+ IMO) rather than speed. If you do get a SATA SSD, make sure it has a DRAM cache.
Storage: Some kind of traditional disk drive for everything else. I didn't look at this in-depth, I just got a basic 4 TB with a RAM cache. If you're worried about losing data, get something with a good warranty. I'd use some kind of cloud back up or RAID in that case though.
Case: Mesh cases can be as quiet/quieter than closed cases because your CPU/GPU/case fans don't need to spin as hard. An intake fan at the front and an exhaust at the back gets you most of the cooling you need, factor these into your cost if the case doesn't come with them. IMO, get a case with the fans included unless you're in love with a particular case since it's usually cheaper/easier. Everyone seems to love Lian Li Lancool line. Fractal are also recommended. Comedy option
Power Supply: 650w-850w. Generally just get whatever your video card recommends.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 9, 2021

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Alan Smithee posted:

Here's a prebuilt from NewEgg's builder, which goes by ABS. They've somehow managed to get supplied the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra cards for the builds. A few weeks ago they had white Asus Strix 3090s featured for similar configurations. But I didn't see any ABS builds on NewEgg's site with the 3080.

https://www.newegg.com/abs-ali500/p/N82E16883360095?Description=abs%203090&cm_re=abs_3090-_-83-360-095-_-Product&quicklink=true

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

crepeface posted:

various notes

Couple changes/additions/clarifications for people reading along:
Good inexpensive air coolers: Scythe Fuma/Mugen, Arctic Freezer 34. The Cooler Master 212 Evo is harder to install and basically costs the same amount of money.
Motherboard: There's really no point to X570 over B550 unless you have much greater I/O requirements than a B550 board will support. If you're not sure about this, you don't need an X570 board. It's not future proofing in any way to buy an X570 and most of them have chipset fans, which annoy people. Get a B550 board.
PSU: You should get at minimum a bronze rated PSU from a decently reputable manufacturer with a long warranty.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Basically never get a PSU with less than a 5 year warranty, it's going to be a piece of poo poo. 10 years, 80+ gold is the gold standard, but the days of those being available for $50 are long gone.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey all, I'm looking at upgrading my Ship of Theseus PC, with the goal being new case, motherboard, CPU and RAM (the need for more than 8GB is really what's driving this), while retaining my current power supply and GPU. Am just turning to PCPartPicker now, but I'm specifically wondering about cases, and if there's anything in particular I should be looking for? The one thing I know I want is something where I can route the majority of cables behind an internal wall or something so they're out of the way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

Hey all, I'm looking at upgrading my Ship of Theseus PC, with the goal being new case, motherboard, CPU and RAM (the need for more than 8GB is really what's driving this), while retaining my current power supply and GPU. Am just turning to PCPartPicker now, but I'm specifically wondering about cases, and if there's anything in particular I should be looking for? The one thing I know I want is something where I can route the majority of cables behind an internal wall or something so they're out of the way.

How old is your current power supply?

The cooler master TR500 has that internal wall, it’s what I’ve used on my current build and the thermals and noise have been :discourse:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Like 3 years old I think, maybe 2. EVGA 750W, though I can't find the receipts in my email and now it's bothering me...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My brother is thinking of buying this for some medium gaming:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FPNRYX...4V9vIGRY100i5xI

I have a spare 750 Ti. If he does get it, would it be worth swapping that in?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Farecoal posted:

My brother is thinking of buying this for some medium gaming:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FPNRYX...4V9vIGRY100i5xI

I have a spare 750 Ti. If he does get it, would it be worth swapping that in?

it's like a 10% difference, the RX 550 is going to be a pokey, slow POS, and so is the 750 Ti. Both are 30FPS 1080P medium/low cards. They're hopelessly outdated at this point, but if you have it and you're willing to give it to him for free, it wouldn't hurt, but it's not going to gain more than 2-3 FPS on average.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PittTheElder posted:

If you can grab a Lian Li Lancool II on sale, consider it. No 5 1/4" bays but the cable management's dreamy. Fracal Design's Meshify cases are also easy to work with, if you absolutely need that DVD drive.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I mentioned it in the GPU megathread, and I'll ask it here:

I'm looking into getting a pre-built PC for a lot of different reasons (my current PC is pretty old, I don't have the workspace I want/need to build a new one myself, and lmao finding parts is not fun right now) and I guess I need some general advice. Are there recommended groups that handle that sort of thing, are there scams I should be avoiding, or is there anything I should consider moving forward if I'm exploring getting a pre-built PC?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The only thing difficult to find right now are GPU's and the pre-built companies are definitely upcharging because of it (plus some have long lead times as well because of it).

Other than that, it's generally recommended to go with a company that tells you *exactly* what you are getting in each component. Feel free to post here on a pre-build you like and I'm sure someone will help you out on if it's a good buy or not. They are nowhere near as bad as they used to be in pricing and components.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hi thread. Friend of mine bought some second hand parts and is having trouble as his pc won't boot up. He thinks it's his motherboard since he can't get power to anything when he tries to boot.

He's got a Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE V2 REV 1.0 board and a EVGA 650 GA PSU with a Ryzen 5 2600 is the CPU on the board.

Are there any known issues or compatibility issues or something like that? This isn't his first rodeo by any stretch and from his description I can't think of anything other than take it apart and try again, which he's done 3 times now. He's concerned he fried something because he applied too much thermal past but I can't see how that would fry a board. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Hi thread. Friend of mine bought some second hand parts and is having trouble as his pc won't boot up. He thinks it's his motherboard since he can't get power to anything when he tries to boot.

He's got a Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE V2 REV 1.0 board and a EVGA 650 GA PSU with a Ryzen 5 2600 is the CPU on the board.

Are there any known issues or compatibility issues or something like that? This isn't his first rodeo by any stretch and from his description I can't think of anything other than take it apart and try again, which he's done 3 times now. He's concerned he fried something because he applied too much thermal past but I can't see how that would fry a board. Any ideas would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

Too much thermal paste will not fry the board, ever. It's non-conductive.

Are we talking straight no power (no diagnostic lights, nothing whatsoever)? Then Board or PSU.

If he's getting any lights he should be looking at which lights are triggering and start there.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Too much thermal paste will not fry the board, ever. It's non-conductive.

Are we talking straight no power (no diagnostic lights, nothing whatsoever)? Then Board or PSU.

If he's getting any lights he should be looking at which lights are triggering and start there.

Lights on DRAM sometimes, or alternating between DRAM and CPU and most boots, just solid light on CPU.

It's random, no changes in config, just sometimes VGA light solid, sometimes back and forth between dram and cpu and sometimes solid light on dram

E: I should add he bought the rig second hand and saw it running. Only swap was the CPU and GPU. He cleaned the case and board with alcohol before to deal with a heavy smoker stink. He reassembled, plugged in the new components and fired it up with the current result.

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Quick question:

I've got an EVGA Supernova G3 850 watt power supply. My UPS says I'm drawing 250 at idle but... it's incredibly, obnoxiously loud and I'm tired of it. Apparently it's an issue with the 850 in particular, searching through the EVGA forums there's a number of people complaining that the 850's fan curve is overly aggressive. The other issue is it's a fairly tiny PSU, only 150mm. I've got a define S2 which will fit basically any PSU so I didn't need to put such a stubby one in there.

Looking for fully modular, 850w or more (AMD Threadripper + dual GPU) and actually quiet. Theoretical peak load is 615w but realistically only one GPU is active at a time.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Check out the PSU Tier List on the LinusTechTips forums. The blue and gold A Tier options are supposed to be the quietest picks. I bought a Fractal Ion+ 560W based on this thread's advice and I literally cannot hear it under gaming load

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lights on DRAM sometimes, or alternating between DRAM and CPU and most boots, just solid light on CPU.

It's random, no changes in config, just sometimes VGA light solid, sometimes back and forth between dram and cpu and sometimes solid light on dram

E: I should add he bought the rig second hand and saw it running. Only swap was the CPU and GPU. He cleaned the case and board with alcohol before to deal with a heavy smoker stink. He reassembled, plugged in the new components and fired it up with the current result.

I’d disconnect everything except cpu and a single ram stick and 24 and 8 pin connectors. Check the single stick in each slot, then the other stick the same way. The likelihood of it being ram is quite low if it does it with this.

I’d also pop the cmos battery just incase the previous owner had some fucky settings.