Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Sauriaii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Is a lone dark elf a Druchus?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

So how does terror work? I always wanted to make armies heavy in terror to route the enemy if the field. Is there a specific way to stack leadership rebuffs and terror for that?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
All I know is it's possible to stack debuffs with a beastmen army and certain traits with bray-shamans where their whole army will retreat before you can get into combat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ardent Communist posted:

All I know is it's possible to stack debuffs with a beastmen army and certain traits with bray-shamans where their whole army will retreat before you can get into combat.
I dont think you can get it quite that high anymore but yes the Beastmen can get a trait that is like -5 enemy morale on any lord or hero. Stack that with Lightning Strike and the usual "shot by artillery", "shot by archers", and "attacked in the rear" and you can easily chain route units if you can pull those things off.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Krataar posted:

So how does terror work? I always wanted to make armies heavy in terror to route the enemy if the field. Is there a specific way to stack leadership rebuffs and terror for that?

Doom and Darkness (lore of death) gives a -16 leadership debuff (in a wide radius if you overcast), some lords and heroes may have debuffs in campaign, dark elf kharibdyss units give -8 leadership in a radius, some weapons (irondrakes, warpfire throwers, a few melee items and artillery pieces) give "discouraged" which is another -8 leadership.

There are fixed debuffs for "attacked by artillery", "attacked in rear", "attacked in flank", "stronger and faster units nearby", "lord just died/routed", "nearby units routed", and there is one variable debuff for damage taken and a separate debuff for damage taken in the last 30 seconds.

Units can also get leadership buffs from their lord or a hero nearby, having friendly units on their flanks, things of that nature.

Terror procs on units with low leadership (but doesn't have to be below zero - I think something like 15 or below) and has a chance to proc about every 30 seconds, so there is also an element of timing. Units affected by terror flee for a few seconds and then rally or break if their leadership drops below 0. Setting up leadership bombs or chaining terror routes is a viable strategy in single player and MP, especially against low-leadership factions like greenskins or skaven.

Undead factions never flee and instead take damage when their leadership drops below 0, and take a lot of damage if their leadership drops far below 0. You can probably find some way in campaign to destroy undead armies with leadership effects but in MP it's not really possible.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Doom and Darkness + the grants terror are MVP.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
For the beastmen (though lizardmen and vampires can do it too) the lord/hero traits can't reduce base leadership below zero, so they won't start at 0 leadership after lord/hero auras, difficulty bonuses, and having allies nearby. That's where Doom and Darkness and... uh, some other spell that gives -8 leadership taht beastmen have access to come in.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Krataar posted:

the concrete practical answer is pick isabella and have her and vlad just gently caress poo poo up, rear-charge mobs with bats. one of your first vamps will have doom and darkness, and vlad and isabella both have terror. it's a really great way to get some practice with the mechanics, which can be a little hard to understand if you only play like dwarves or something, which don't really have leadership debuffs outside of irondrakes and some ror i think?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

This game has a really great way of screwing you over when you least (most?) suspect it.
Every single time I say "well it's smooth sailing from here", the game launches something new at me on the very next turn.

I'm pretty sure there is a back-end trigger to screw you over if there isn't anything in your line of sight stronger than you.

Now to exploit this, somehow. Perma-sieging, say, Crooked Moon seems like it should work.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
On the lead up to the dlc release, I saw a site say that Rakarth’s ability to remove fear and terror from enemy large units would remove the immunity that those traits that having them confers. Did that turn out to be true? Does Rakarth’s ability to remove fear and terror have anything fun effects on undead units?

Just realized I don’t know what kids of leadership effects count as “psychology” and thus affect/don’t affect undead units.

Anyone besides me already jonesing for more DLC/Game 3 news?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 22, 2021

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yea, you can terror route monsters using Rakarth’s ability. You can’t use it on characters though, but you can terror off the Altdorf Gryphites or whatever. Undead can’t run but I guess they would still eat the penalty for being near an enemy with Fear.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I imagine we'll hear more about the last DLC on April, considering we're getting more WH3 info on May IIRC

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Azran posted:

I imagine we'll hear more about the last DLC on April, considering we're getting more WH3 info on May IIRC
Havent they been averaging 6 months between warhams DLC? The Drycha DLC came out Dec 3rd 2020 so I wouldnt be surprised if we hear about it in may and it comes out in June? Thought they may want to get it out sooner if they want to leave some time between it and WH3?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Growth changes finding their way into VH/L loving sucks. I don't want to spend 100 turns getting to tier 5 CA what the ever loving gently caress.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm not looking forward to my next campaign. I still have to complete a dawi campaign for cheevos :stonkhat:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I dont think you can get it quite that high anymore but yes the Beastmen can get a trait that is like -5 enemy morale on any lord or hero. Stack that with Lightning Strike and the usual "shot by artillery", "shot by archers", and "attacked in the rear" and you can easily chain route units if you can pull those things off.

Malagor is the king of leadership debuffs. I don't have Warhammer 2 installed right now, but he can get something like -13 or -17 leadership by himself.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

litany of gulps posted:

Malagor is the king of leadership debuffs. I don't have Warhammer 2 installed right now, but he can get something like -13 or -17 leadership by himself.

WHAT

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Sasgrillo posted:

Growth changes finding their way into VH/L loving sucks. I don't want to spend 100 turns getting to tier 5 CA what the ever loving gently caress.

I haven't tried it yet, but this is meant to set growth figures at the old levels.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2427521558&searchtext=growth

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sadly, I only have a 200 GB solid state drive and its completely full of gigantic Kenshi savegames that I can't bring myself to delete. I can install one game at a time, and it can't ALWAYS be Warhammer 2

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yea, you can terror route monsters using Rakarth’s ability. You can’t use it on characters though, but you can terror off the Altdorf Gryphites or whatever. Undead can’t run but I guess they would still eat the penalty for being near an enemy with Fear.

I think being undead, as in having the undead trait, confers immunity to psychology outside also having the fear/terror trait(s). So you could strip a terrorgeists fear/terror, but it still can not be terror routed.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Any tips for getting an Imrik game started in H/N? I'm not the greatest player and his income situation is pretty tough on me (not to mention getting gangbanged on in both my ME and vortex attempts). I'm curious to see how ridiculously buff he can get.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Karanas posted:

Any tips for getting an Imrik game started in H/N? I'm not the greatest player and his income situation is pretty tough on me (not to mention getting gangbanged on in both my ME and vortex attempts). I'm curious to see how ridiculously buff he can get.

Only played ME but I rush to conquer the starting province, and then either force peace or burn down the last dwarf settlement, don't conquer it! And by rush I mean rush, recruit on the go and stop right on your side of the border after taking the first settlement, gets you a turn of recruitment and still in range of hitting the second settlement.

After taking out the dwarfs, immediatly head east to murder the skaven. Unless you are increadibly unlucky, Snitch should still not have won against the greenskins. If you are really lucky, you can take his capital without him having taken anything at all. Though often he gets at least one of the minor settlements. Still this fucks with his recruitment and the main settlement is harder for him to retake. After that, murder him, the greenskin tribe and then Malus in that order. Focus all money on improving the starting province, sack when able. You might get interrupted by Grimgor somewhere around here and you want some defences for that.

If he does, stop the previous kill-chain and get ready for killing lots of greenskins. Don't get too attached to settlements outside what you can defend, sure capture them for replenishment but don't invest in them and if they get retaken/rebell, who cares. Your goal is keeping positive income for your Imrik stack so you can win dragon fights and keep your corner safe.

See the spoiler for the rewards of slogging through Imrik early game :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

litany of gulps posted:

Sadly, I only have a 200 GB solid state drive and its completely full of gigantic Kenshi savegames that I can't bring myself to delete. I can install one game at a time, and it can't ALWAYS be Warhammer 2

Ouch. Get an external for those save games?

Or buy a cheap platter drive.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Noir89 posted:

Only played ME but I rush to conquer the starting province, and then either force peace or burn down the last dwarf settlement, don't conquer it! And by rush I mean rush, recruit on the go and stop right on your side of the border after taking the first settlement, gets you a turn of recruitment and still in range of hitting the second settlement.

After taking out the dwarfs, immediatly head east to murder the skaven. Unless you are increadibly unlucky, Snitch should still not have won against the greenskins. If you are really lucky, you can take his capital without him having taken anything at all. Though often he gets at least one of the minor settlements. Still this fucks with his recruitment and the main settlement is harder for him to retake. After that, murder him, the greenskin tribe and then Malus in that order. Focus all money on improving the starting province, sack when able. You might get interrupted by Grimgor somewhere around here and you want some defences for that.

If he does, stop the previous kill-chain and get ready for killing lots of greenskins. Don't get too attached to settlements outside what you can defend, sure capture them for replenishment but don't invest in them and if they get retaken/rebell, who cares. Your goal is keeping positive income for your Imrik stack so you can win dragon fights and keep your corner safe.

Cool beans, thanks! Also at which point can I expect to be able to take on dragon challenges?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Ouch. Get an external for those save games?

Or buy a cheap platter drive.

I actually have a large external hooked up to the same computer. And piles of old platter drives from long dead computers. And high capacity SSDs are dirt cheap these days. And there's stimulus and tax refund money. drat it, I have no excuse to not have Warhammer 2 installed

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Noir89 posted:

I can second this advice. If you're lucky you can secure your starting province then get peace and a trade deal with Clan Helhein. Then force march over to Snikcthchk's major settlement and attack it as your declaration of war and you'll be fine.

Make sure you get Lightning Strike so you can attack Waaaagh stacks but ignore the Waaaagh add-on army and just kill the main stack, which kills the waaagh units without needing to actually fight them.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
My last Imrik campaign went a bit off the rails when Gringor and Skitch started fighting each other really early on whilst I was beating up Malus for fun. So when I started also taking on the green skin helltide, I ended up allied to Skitch.

Your mileage may vary.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Anyone laying odds on more TW:WH news this week? Before Rakarth popped I would have guessed that we'd be on track for WH2 DLC. I'm still assuming there won't be any WH3 news until summer, IIRC there isn't supposed to be any more Troy DLC, and 3K just had a DLC... so even with Rakarth it's still pretty likely that WH2 is going to be the next significant announcement/release.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

...IIRC there isn't supposed to be any more Troy DLC...

Ouch.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Hola Skinkmanii

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Mantis42 posted:

Build the pteradon building in your capitol asap and then bring a couple of cheap flying units to immediately fly behind the ranged units to keep them from turning on your army until they have a chance to close ranks. And shield units hold up pretty well under early game ranged fire anyways.
Don't forget to drop the rocks

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Protagorean posted:

Hola Skinkmanii

Right before we lock this thread we should rename it Total War: Warhammer 2 - Adios, skinks

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I hope chorfs all speak not-russian or

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Having now listened to both Drycha and Durthu bang on about it, can anyone tell me what 'fraxinar' is supposed to mean?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Tirranek posted:

Having now listened to both Drycha and Durthu bang on about it, can anyone tell me what 'fraxinar' is supposed to mean?

Something about ash i assume.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I can second this advice. If you're lucky you can secure your starting province then get peace and a trade deal with Clan Helhein. Then force march over to Snikcthchk's major settlement and attack it as your declaration of war and you'll be fine.

Make sure you get Lightning Strike so you can attack Waaaagh stacks but ignore the Waaaagh add-on army and just kill the main stack, which kills the waaagh units without needing to actually fight them.

This is all good advice but IMO getting a full stack with Imrik is a waste of money. You can beat virtually any stack in the game with fewer units. Get all his unique dragons and like 4 Dragon Princes. Don’t bother with infantry at all, don’t bother replacing them after turn 10 or so, just send them off with another lord to defend your territory or push minor factions away. The rest of the advice is good, especially strangling Sniktch in his cradle as soon as you’re done with Helhein.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

This is all good advice but IMO getting a full stack with Imrik is a waste of money. You can beat virtually any stack in the game with fewer units. Get all his unique dragons and like 4 Dragon Princes. Don’t bother with infantry at all, don’t bother replacing them after turn 10 or so, just send them off with another lord to defend your territory or push minor factions away. The rest of the advice is good, especially strangling Sniktch in his cradle as soon as you’re done with Helhein.
Eh, Noir89 and I didnt say to get a full stack and you can build your army however you want as Imrik. Early on I eventually filled out the army with Archers, Rangers, and a couple basic rear end spearmen, and it was amazing, but I didnt include anything about that in my advice because its more about speed than filling out your army (edit: which I guess I should have included about the advice that speed is king when killing Snikcthitch). Later on you can seriously do whatever the hell you want because Imrik is bullshit and the rest doesnt even really matter.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
it was just in the screenshot and set off my trap card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

it was just in the screenshot and set off my trap card
LOL fair enough