Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Radial menu also makes ammo crafting (well all crafting but you probably end up crafting ammo the most often) much easier

Being able to craft and use max potions and life powders with a single option each was a huge improvement too. Watching videos of older games where people open up the menu to craft items mid-combat drives me bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
anyone getting some good use out of the action bar™?

I'm wondering because I kinda just... disabled it early and have never felt a need for it :v: I am addicted to having camera controls on the d-pad because I like being able to look around while carving and gathering and I know it's mostly pointless in this game since gathering is just one press but I am so used to it. I put dog summon on the radial menu and I use the radial menu for sharpening, dog and mega potions.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I'm wondering because I kinda just... disabled it early and have never felt a need for it :v: I am addicted to having camera controls on the d-pad because I like being able to look around while carving and gathering and I know it's mostly pointless in this game since gathering is just one press but I am so used to it. I put dog summon on the radial menu and I use the radial menu for sharpening, dog and mega potions.

I use it for chat commands so people will hopefully stop trying to kill the monster during capture quests.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

The only thing I use it for is to call my dog, which I would gladly put on the item bar

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Inzombiac posted:

Man, as a hammer player I was having a rough time with that 4* electric lizard. Killed it but it sucked.

Crafted poison dual blades as a lark, fought it again and got my first sub-10 minute hunt.

I guess elemental weaknesses are a real thing.

I use hammer but having come from World, I killed Tobi really fast. The biggest reason your kill time probably went way down is because Dual Blades mean you don't need to exclusively aim for the head and can just sort of go to town on tails/underbellies, which mean you're attacking way more often. Once you fight the monsters more, you'll be able to spend way less time chasing openings because you'll know exactly where their head will be after each attack so you can cut out the downtime that doesn't crop us nearly as much for things like DB or SA.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Radial menu also makes ammo crafting (well all crafting but you probably end up crafting ammo the most often) much easier

Gunning is when I started using the radial menu and forget ever going back to menu crafting. Once I got into it for that I started using it for crafting max pots... and then it snowballed from there to the point where I virtually never use the oldschool item menu. It just gets used for context-sensitive items (energy drinks, deodorants, etc) and trapping.

The one thing I wish is they'd get rid of the multiple shortcuts, enlarge the radial, and give you more slots. I've never swapped radials and tend to save a radial config for each type of build, so having the middle of the screen eaten by useless alternate radials instead of 4-6 more quick options sucks.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mailer posted:

Guard Dash not so much, since it feels (this could just be me misremembering) like it covers way less ground, but yeah I charge when they bail and that's usually when I eat poo poo to an aoe/projectile. The range is just slightly too far to get there before he winds up another attack. Somnacanth I just kind of brute forced my way through it but being able to zip straight to the monster to keep attacking would be greatly helpful in like 75% of the fights so far.

Guard Dash can be chained into either a hop or (more commonly) a Leaping Thrust, either of which will move you forward some more, so it covers nicely that space between "hop to keep close" and "Dash Attack to chase." You are blocking during the GD, so it's a very safe move. And the LT, while it drops your guard, is a fairly short animation, and its recovery can be chained into another GD, so the window in which you're vulnerable is shorter than you'd think. On the whole it's not as fast to cover ground as a Dash Attack, but it's much safer. GD/LT chaining is roughly comparable to another class repeatedly rolling, except you're guarding during the GD part of it, so it's way more safe; you can GD straight into an attacking monster, whereas another class would need to take a safer path toward the monster. For me, frequent use of GD to position around a monster/close short distances is a huge part of what makes Lance click for me.

I don't have my Switch set up for any sort of long recording, but next time I play, I'll see if I can save a clip of me using GD/LT against a monster that likes to dart around.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Whats a good way to grind money? HR crafting takes quite a bit and running group quests seems to split the zenny rewards. Do I just speedrun 6/7* village?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mightygerm posted:

Whats a good way to grind money? HR crafting takes quite a bit and running group quests seems to split the zenny rewards. Do I just speedrun 6/7* village?

Rampage missions seem to have a pretty high zenny reward compared to how easy they are

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Every single time I try to start really learning a new weapon, the same thing happens.

“Hmmm, that one looks cool. I just need to farm X monster a few times. Better take hammer to do that as quick as I can!”

“Oops I spent all the parts on a new hammer.”

I think I have a problem. The problem being I will eventually run out of hammers to make.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mightygerm posted:

This is not how it works in Rise. Wide is now the charge shelling build as it gets 2 levels of charged with the most damage. It also has KO damage with the stake, with slugger levels you can KO monsters VERY easily. This also means you don't want to use blast dash with wide and prioritize the 2 step fast WS combo.
Normal and Long play basically the same, normal has more shells for burst and long does more WS damage and can shoot farther, but you play them more or less the same.

So if I'm understanding, normal and long should be using their shells on the slam burst, and not doing regular shelling? Or do you regular shell between pokes too?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mightygerm posted:

HR4 or 5 I think, the Argosy will fairly regularly sell valuables for points, always worth it to check the housekeeper after every hunt

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DeathSandwich posted:

Finished Village last night, started HR in the hub in earnest (I got HR Hub when I was HR 3 in Village - Wound up getting the Rarity 4 Kamura Horn - wound up tearing the rest of the Village story apart like wet bread). I ran through all the switch Skill missions available to me got my upgraded Tetranadon Horn for more doot doots and I'm looking at expanding into some other weapons now.

Decided I want to give HBG a shot here - I was one warm pelt away from getting the Rank 4 Kelbi gun so I'm going to get that tonight and see about building out an armor set around it. Will probably tune it up with the Spread shot rampage skill to get normal 3/Scatter3. I was tooling around in the wiki and didn't see any armor with +spread shot on it though looking at the wiki, I'm guessing it's not in currently with the current set of armor available to us? Also since they only do a single add on slot on HBG I'm guessing tripling/quadrupling up on shields and kitting for a cozy dumb scattershot build ala World's Zinogre HBG is out? Is there a reasonably cozy build people have been liking for HBG so far?

It kinda blows. I was trying out the kadachi pierce build from vanilla world for while, then I switched to LBG, Narga pierce 1/2 with wroggi S set, and I wreck poo poo.

mightygerm posted:

Hunt literally anything and sell all the mats. It's counter intuitive, I know, but I have to remind myself to do this every MH game. Also, check the trader for the 500pts 10k sell items.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I think it's because I'm just tired today and this series requires energy and thought but I still just can't decide on a weapon to start with. Sword & Shield, Dual Blades, & Bow are all contenders. I quite enjoyed Hammer in the small bit of World I actually played.

And in a surprise new contender they managed to remove enough clunk from Hunting Horn to make it interesting to me too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Shine posted:

For me, frequent use of GD to position around a monster/close short distances is a huge part of what makes Lance click for me.

My problem is specifically "Imma jump 80 feet away k bye" moves. I don't remember that happening as much in previous games, but that could be selective memory. Once they're relatively nearby it's stabby time. Mag is like a combination of Zin and Nerd, but the constant hopping around the entire arena blows me up in a way that actually using the kunai would alleviate.

Also fighting him literally once, so burning a ton of stamina on powerguards for attacks that were hyperdelayed, etc.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think it's because I'm just tired today and this series requires energy and thought but I still just can't decide on a weapon to start with. Sword & Shield, Dual Blades, & Bow are all contenders. I quite enjoyed Hammer in the small bit of World I actually played.

And in a surprise new contender they managed to remove enough clunk from Hunting Horn to make it interesting to me too.
if it makes the choice any easier, every single weapon I've tried in Rise has been amazing and the most fun iteration yet. They fixed all my issues with Gunlance, they fixed all my issues with Switch Axe, Hunting Horn is bonkers now, Hammer and Dual Blades are better than ever... the list goes on!

wait, that isn't helpful at all is it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

dual blades are for monster energy drink addicts :colbert:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

lets hang out posted:

should've taken the hub quest to hunt kestodons, that's what it's in the game for. marks them on the map and spawns a lot more than usual

That's good to know! I'm not doing hub right now, still working on village, and skipping non essentials.

Your Computer posted:

I put my dogo on the first button, that way mounting is a quick L + B. And in village I put the job board on first slot so that is a quick L+B access..Other than that it's dead to me. Incase it doesn't make sense, I have item bar set to dpad cause I don't like the L+ interaction. And as I love stating, the dpad left and right mapped to back buttons on a power a pro controller.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 30, 2021

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Ciaphas posted:

dual blades are for monster energy drink addicts :colbert:

I can’t function without caffeine so this tracks.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
MP question,

If I play "online" in my groups hunter connect and no one is on, the monsters in hub won't be upgraded right? Atleast not until someone joins? Wondering if I can just play in my HC/online and my friends can hot join me if they see me on?

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Metsu Shoryugeki is so much fun to use with SnS! Still, I started liking Windmill once I got over it not being like the spin from Generations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Barioth can eat my whole loving rear end

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Just stay still you motherfucker

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

poo poo.

I am now a gunner main.

Now I have to wear cowboy outfits and poo poo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

a new study bible! posted:

Just stay still you motherfucker

I was floored how trivial the lance twin vine skill took any annoyances I had with him in previous games and made it a hilarious anime flying joke.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I didn't realize hunting horn has iframes on the recital move and holy poo poo this weapon rules

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

a new study bible! posted:

Barioth can eat my whole loving rear end

The secret to Barioth in every game is to smash the poo poo out of his wings (aim for the paws). Once he's clipped, he slides around all over the place and it makes you feel pretty bad.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Norns posted:

I was floored how trivial the lance twin vine skill took any annoyances I had with him in previous games and made it a hilarious anime flying joke.

Lance is great at trivializing monsters. Lance owns.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just clowned Magnamalo with dual blades. Is it supposed to be an easy flight or something?

Also watching the credits and...
this game feels pretty drat short.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

I just clowned Magnamalo with dual blades. Is it supposed to be an easy flight or something?

Village LR is just the prologue to the real game tbh.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I didn't realize hunting horn has iframes on the recital move and holy poo poo this weapon rules

The empty ZR? Or the alternate horn mode ZR?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Lance went from trivializing Diablos to trivializing creation. It's great.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Congrats beating the tutorial

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Can someone explain to me the difference between strength and courage skill for hammer. Is it the same moves just less damage/faster charge?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The empty ZR? Or the alternate horn mode ZR?

Just the regular ZR, normal mode. The one that makes you breakdance on the ground with the horn. Pretty generous iframes, turns out, even I can time it well and I can't time LS counters and also will never successfully guard point.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

As soon as I'd heard they re-split into village/hub I knew they'd go back to one-rank-below-max village and people coming in from MHW would say this. :v:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hellioning posted:

poo poo.

I am now a gunner main.

Now I have to wear cowboy outfits and poo poo.

Same, LBG has really clicked. The sling around switch art is amazing too.

The cowboy outfit is dope. Gave up Pierce Up helmet because cowboy hat is too cool not to wear. Wish they'd put something better than Poison Attack on the gunslinger belt, what a waste and it looks so good with LBGs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DB chat: I’m going to start putting together elemental sets.

This is going to get expensive real loving quick.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Got lucky with a Crit Eye 3 charm, and this is the result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Do you need to use the respective weapon when doing a switch skill quest? Also, I only have quests for a few of the weapons; when do I get the rest?

In any case, holy poo poo was it hilarious clowning on Tetranodon with four horns :sax:ing the whole time