Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thanks. Sorry to hear you may have had it. It definitely sucks.
I had it in January and I feel like I got hit by a truck today, 24-hours later. Wife didn’t get it, and feels fine other than a sore arm. Bodies and antibodies are weird.

But yeah, before I was eligible, called around or visited all the Rite Aids and asked if they had a wait list for cancels or no-shows. It’s very much store-specific and an unofficial policy. Some said no outright, some said yes but you have to be eligible, and others wrote my name and number down on a piece of paper behind the desk.

e: I’m not condoning lying to jump the line at all, but if you think you vaguely may fall under any of the categories, give it a shot. I saw probably 300 people get stuck while I was there and not a single person was turned away. Things around me are loosening up since we got through all the super at-risk people.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My second shot is scheduled for April 2nd, which means I will be good for return to play by mid April. I'll probably just put on my player equipment during stick time for a few weeks just to get used to skating again. I'm pretty sure if I tried to go down in a butterfly my hamstrings would snap.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
It took till last night before I didn't have trouble lifting my legs to put pants on. :lol: I was stupidly out of shape for that tournament.

As for shots, I was lucky because my boss also runs the state public health lab so I was able to hop in a get one when I was meeting with him. Talking with a teammate over the weekend, if you happen to be around a Sams Club or something similar they are always looking for people to give the shot to.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

My second shot is scheduled for April 2nd, which means I will be good for return to play by mid April. I'll probably just put on my player equipment during stick time for a few weeks just to get used to skating again. I'm pretty sure if I tried to go down in a butterfly my hamstrings would snap.

I started this last week to try and prevent shredding something my first shift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBYjU7iBpck

I was sore for a few days but doing this every night after my normal workout and I am feeling better. I'm sure there's a billion different mobility routines out there, that's just the one I landed on first that seemed reasonable.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I was doing DDP Yoga that really helped out with mobility and flexibility. It did nothing for my cardio though!

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I got vaccinated and signed up for 3v3 hockey (starting in May). The rink that's running it though just had four players from my friend's (regular) team + the scorekeeper + one of their boyfriends + a bartender all catch Covid. smh

The city I'm in is opening up vaccinations for the general population soon so hopefully this will become less of an issue...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just got vaccinated as well and with Washington going into phase 3, our spring league is about to start up soon. 6 games. Summer will be slightly longer I think. We still have about 5 games to make up from last year that our league is issuing credits for which means I might need to pay $30 for this short season so thats cool. I will need to figure out a better mask situation though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My summer league starts the 5th and there's no hints my team is getting back together (captain sent email asking who could skate, two weeks ago, no emails since) so I'm betting I miss the exciting D3 league another season.

But I'll probably do the Sunday morning learn to play league which starts in July. I'll call it a "conditioning stint."

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Got an appointment for my first Moderna dose on Saturday, which should make me fully immune just in time for Summer Camps at my rink to start up and prevent me from getting any ice time.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
If you think it’s bad having not played hockey in over a year, at least you aren’t playing hockey for the sabers right now. I fully expect them to submit a petition to join the Canadian division to get a better chance of winning.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

they can’t stop getting covid, no shot they’re getting across that border.

the gm is coaching tonight because they fired the coach and the interim guys are in the protocol

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Imagining a spreadsheet guy coaching from the bench rules.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

He's probably telling them to proactively right-shore excellent market positioning scenarios

While they get rolled

Just got back from my kid's 14U eval skate. Poor kid missed his old buddies a lot more than he let on, I'm glad he gets to play again. Fingers crossed for no covid.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Any advice on inlines or feel em out and get what feels good like ice skates?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
People are going bananas for the marsblades but I've always liked my bauer vapor inlines because the boots feel the same as my ice skates.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

I just got vaccinated as well and with Washington going into phase 3, our spring league is about to start up soon. 6 games. Summer will be slightly longer I think. We still have about 5 games to make up from last year that our league is issuing credits for which means I might need to pay $30 for this short season so thats cool. I will need to figure out a better mask situation though.

Congrats on your stabbin' - I'm currently looking at [checks WA state's phase and tier and micro-tier and DLC list] ahh yes, January of 2022 before I'll finally be eligible to get the shot. I'm being a dumb poo poo and doing a once-a-week class and double-masking it for the whole thing but whooo boy am I really playing the odds on picking up covid still. Too many kids going out and coming in on either end of my ice time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Washer on a string

This was genius btw. Two big washers that took way too long to get here with two smaller washers between them makes a nice ping when hit.

https://i.imgur.com/kvaIH4W.mp4

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

So that rink I talked about earlier - they were the epicenter for a 50 person outbreak across all leagues so who knows what’s gonna happen now. Maybe I’ll never get to play hockey 🤷🏻‍♀️

In case I DO eventually get to play I’ve been getting mixed reviews on shoulder pads for women or if I can get away with men’s? I’m usually loathe to buy women’s only stuff because it’s usually more expensive for the same functionality... but if it makes a real difference I’d spring for it. The stores around here don’t carry them so I’d be ordering blind. Thoughts?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I've always had a problem with shoulder pads riding up on me when just normal play. I've moved to a padded shirt which I definitely prefer, plus I'm not playing D so don't have to worry about getting hit.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

calandryll posted:

I've always had a problem with shoulder pads riding up on me when just normal play. I've moved to a padded shirt which I definitely prefer, plus I'm not playing D so don't have to worry about getting hit.

Suspenders over them didn’t keep them down?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

Suspenders over them didn’t keep them down?

I never worn suspenders till the last year or so and I've been wearing a padded shirt for at least 5 or 6 years. I also have the issue of having a long torso so shoulder pads never protected the lower part.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Just got my first shot, hoping to be able to play by June, assuming my body doesn't fall apart the first time I step on the ice. My fitness has plummeted over the last year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

bgreman posted:

Just got my first shot, hoping to be able to play by June, assuming my body doesn't fall apart the first time I step on the ice. My fitness has plummeted over the last year.

I got my first shot on Saturday. I think I'm going to take the Summer off from league play and just do Rat Hockey and Stick n Puck to get back into hockey shape.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm set up as a sub for my team from about the middle of April on, when my vaccine has reached MAXIMUM POWER.

Doing a pretty good job working out for 40 minutes every night too, hopefully my first skate I fly around like McDavid because my year of offseason exercise has chiseled me into the perfect hockey player.

(i'd be content with being as slow as ever and not instantly pulling a muscle)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My boss is retiring and he's a hockey player. I was thinking of getting him a hockey stick with a custom engraving. I know nothing about hockey sticks but can anyone suggest a halfway decent brand that does custom engravings? Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bauer does customized sticks, or did at one point. It's not engraved, just someone's name and number printed on the shaft. We did it for the captain of our first team when the team folded.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Bauer does customized sticks. It's not engraved, just someone's name and number printed on the shaft.

Yeah it doesn't need to be engraved, thanks for the suggestion!

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Speaking of sticks, what are you guys into lately? Before I stopped playing a few years ago my favorite was the Easton Stealth RS. I'm hoping to get back into playing next month after my second dose and was thinking of trying a new stick, but I'm not sure what would be close or a decent deal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I buy whatever's on clearance at icewarehouse. I shoot left and like whippy sticks (the game is scientifically more fun when you can't catch a pass) so there's usually a good selection.

I still have a couple fisher sticks from that Amazon sale eons ago but they're cut down for basement shot practice now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I have one fischer left but it's 100 flex and a very mellow curve, gear for defense I guess.

I actually really liked those sticks. Best $7 I've ever spent. They lasted about two years.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I have babby strength and use intermediates when I play out. 68 flex gang.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The only reason that I have the stick I have is because it was the longest one in the shop and it still needed a full 6" extension plug. It's a Winwell PS 119 and I just don't know enough about sticks to get a new one and probably wouldn't even notice the difference cuz I've only skated one season's worth of games (8).

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I buy whatever's on sale for <$120. I'm on a pair of Trues right now and like them. I used to break Bauers every few months, so I stopped buying those.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
In the last 5 years I think the most I have paid for a stick was $30 and they have all come from amazon and been surprisingly good.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I got a Trigger 3 yesterday for $100 to see if I liked the curve, Bauer stopped selling the PM9 so I wanted to try P88.

It’s fine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
55 flex, noodle arm gang rise up

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
jfc can you guys feel those things wobbling back and forth when you're stickhandling

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol stickhandling

I'm just here to take shots on the goalie in warmups and glide around the faceoff dots wondering why I never touch the puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

jfc can you guys feel those things wobbling back and forth when you're stickhandling

Yeah it’s really bad and they also break extremely easily. It sucked.

I get lowest senior flex and then cut 6” off of the stick so it’s stiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
I’m supplied a set of sticks by CCM every so often, and I still have a batch of FT2 they’ve given me just a handfuls of games before COVID happened. They feel amazing and even better than the SuperTacks 2.0 that I was using before that. I won’t be getting the FT3 any time soon, but I’ve heard they’ve somehow improved on the FT2 which I can’t imagine.

If I was spending my own money though I’d get an STX RX3, or if you can find an FT2 on clearance.

I was an Easton guy before they stopped making sticks :(

LowOnCyan fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 31, 2021