Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

man nurse posted:

I may have found a workaround for this in case anyone else is hampered by it. Apparently if you hold the left stick towards them as you approach and the dialogue begins it bypasses this bug. Gonna try it

Yeah this exact same thing happened to me but I was able to get past it pretty easily by nudging Harry forward a few inches the moment the dialogue box first pops up. A pretty irritating bug but not a game-breaking one like the car, once you know its coming its easy to bypass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Is 1.002 the same as 1.2?
I keep checking for updates but it's saying my copy is the most recent version on the PS5 (1.002)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kobal2 posted:

On an unrelated note : I seem to remember that the necktie is supposed to start making comments with Inland Empire at 4+ ; but my current Cop is at 6 and my second-best friend in all the world has yet to chime up. Does it have to be 4+ when you first pick it up from the fan ?

I am not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure you need 4 Inland Empire when you first examine the ceiling fan in order to fire off the passive that awakens you to your tie. If you miss it, your tie won't start talking later no matter how much Inland Empire you boost to.

Outside of hacking ALL THE THINGS, 4/3/2/3/Inland Empire isn't bad if you're planning a single maximal playthrough, especially if you follow some of the guides for Day 1 Art Cop. The game can be worth replaying to see all the cool cop/crazy cop stuff you get out of a focused high/low experience, and honestly just playing each of the archetypes will be a pretty good experience as long as you can get yourself off the occasional 1 health/1 morale.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1380564165857775629

https://discoelysium.com/devblog/2021/04/09/a-word-on-playstation-patches-brother

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Glazius posted:

I am not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure you need 4 Inland Empire when you first examine the ceiling fan in order to fire off the passive that awakens you to your tie. If you miss it, your tie won't start talking later no matter how much Inland Empire you boost to.

Outside of hacking ALL THE THINGS, 4/3/2/3/Inland Empire isn't bad if you're planning a single maximal playthrough, especially if you follow some of the guides for Day 1 Art Cop. The game can be worth replaying to see all the cool cop/crazy cop stuff you get out of a focused high/low experience, and honestly just playing each of the archetypes will be a pretty good experience as long as you can get yourself off the occasional 1 health/1 morale.

Mechanically speaking, I feel like any build with 2x4, 2x2 works for optimal content. 4 is the magic number where a skill "unlocks" and starts talking a lot, as the overwhelming majority of the passive tests in the game check for >=4. Every skill also has a few dozen checks at 6/8 and a handful at 10 so specializing further isn't wasted but if what you want is to hear a maximum of your skills regularly pipe up with their own brand of wacky, 4 across the board is where it's at and the 4x4,2x2 build is the one which starts with the most skills already "on" while keeping the possibility of giving the other 12 their voices without even touching the thought cabinet.

And yeah, INT 4 opens up beelining both Art Cop (and Wompty Dompty if you're down with dicking about for 2 whole days) for massive XP gain ; but a new player won't know what that is of course.

(oh and yeah, can confirm the Inland thing - my new 1/4/6/1 run properly un-contained the tie)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 9, 2021

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

This game is a god damned masterpiece, and I really want them to patch it up so I can start a new run as a high PHY communard, speed freak.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Bröther? Oh no... is Idiot Doom Spiral a fascist? :ohdear:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

idiot doom spiral was an advertising exec, he would sell out his own mother to the hjelmdallerman

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Well that's good I guess but the lack of a date is concerning

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Anyone feel like the voice acting isn’t that impressive? I wanted new areas and a continuation of the story.

Some is a little ropey, some is amazing (joyce, the dice maker) the vast majority is very good. It slows things down a bit but it's nice relaxing into your brains velvet baritone

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Idiot Doom Spiral is good.

e: Also the precinct 41 call

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I like all the voice acting but I haven't played the base game since dec 2019 so I don't remember the old voices.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I'm around the end of day 3 and on my current playthrough I didn't call the precinct and blew off my lovely co-workers in the hostel lobby.

Motherfucks will get to watch me karaoke tonight, though. :slick:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah, i guess i am going to wait a bit more for more patches.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kobal2 posted:

Mechanically speaking, I feel like any build with 2x4, 2x2 works for optimal content. 4 is the magic number where a skill "unlocks" and starts talking a lot, as the overwhelming majority of the passive tests in the game check for >=4. Every skill also has a few dozen checks at 6/8 and a handful at 10 so specializing further isn't wasted but if what you want is to hear a maximum of your skills regularly pipe up with their own brand of wacky, 4 across the board is where it's at and the 4x4,2x2 build is the one which starts with the most skills already "on" while keeping the possibility of giving the other 12 their voices without even touching the thought cabinet.

And yeah, INT 4 opens up beelining both Art Cop (and Wompty Dompty if you're down with dicking about for 2 whole days) for massive XP gain ; but a new player won't know what that is of course.

(oh and yeah, can confirm the Inland thing - my new 1/4/6/1 run properly un-contained the tie)

A decent number of skills also have some basic functionality at 2, such as thinking to ask Miss Oranje Disco Dancer some questions after your initial talk with her, or interacting with your room's broken window. I favor the 4/3/3/2 build because you can start "turning on" the 3s with a mix of proper clothing, cabinet bumps, and stat points and be up to form pretty quick.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Welp, this playthrough I rolled double 1s during the Tribunal for the check to warn Kim about the merc. :smith: On the bright side I get to experience the adventures of Cunn and Pig.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was wondering why my necktie hasn't chimed in once with 3 inland empire, good to know it requires 4, sorta want to restart just to hear his lines voiced.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Getting to be Detective de Ruyter's sidekick is a pretty incredible consolation prize tbh.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I did some experiments with the various solutions floating around on how to fix the "Recording the hole in the world with Soona" bug. Switching the voicework to "Classic" worked most consistently, you don't have to do anything else.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A cool thing I noticed: One part during the autopsy Kim puts his jacket over his face because the smell is getting to him and the VO gets muffled.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Ha, I hadn't noticed before, but your money counter goes bonkers when you get near the Mega Rich guy

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Ha, I hadn't noticed before, but your money counter goes bonkers when you get near the Mega Rich guy

In fact, it gets more bonkers the closer you get to him.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Does anyone know what this last line is supposed to mean? Ignoring the typo. I'm on Day 3.

Revachol used to be a flaming rhino? Is that a metaphor or something?

It's also the first line where the "ch" in Revachol is pronounced as a k, but maybe that's tied to Gary's character, like the latin pronunciation of Caesar.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Starks posted:

Does anyone know what this last line is supposed to mean? Ignoring the typo. I'm on Day 3.

Revachol used to be a flaming rhino? Is that a metaphor or something?

It's also the first line where the "ch" in Revachol is pronounced as a k, but maybe that's tied to Gary's character, like the latin pronunciation of Caesar.

i think its just as simple as him comparing the old suzerain of revachol to the flaming rhino. something he considers strong and powerful, but doubtful that it ever actually existed in real life.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
At the very very end of the game we start heading back to the boat and suddenly I'm in the middle of a conversation with Kim about some map.. what.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
tribunal spoilers lmao

95 percent shot to shoot the merc leader? miss :negative:
70 percent shot to shoot him again? miss :negative:
70 percent to warn kim? fail :negative:

good lord harry whyyyyyy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

tribunal spoilers lmao

good lord harry whyyyyyy

You wouldn't happen to have that auto fail all red checks thought internalizing would you?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

You wouldn't happen to have that auto fail all red checks thought internalizing would you?

nope! just some lovely luck

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

nope! just some lovely luck

That is some legendarily lovely luck then lol

At least you get the rarer ending with the secret partner assisting

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

tribunal spoilers lmao

good lord harry whyyyyyy

I passed all checks in that sequence and the final check was like 27%

get on my level

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i apparently dodged the final dream with the ex, too, but i have no idea how i did it. seems like it's tied to three or four specific things and i just happened to avoid them on this playthrough.

as far as the voice acting goes, the only two characters i think are worse than the originals are titus (the new one is a bit too gruff and feels like a caricature), the mercenary leader (i really liked how he sounded like a normal dude even if he was some podcast guy), and the merc in the helmet (although i don't think he was supposed to sound like a crazy old man).

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 10, 2021

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I was actually not at all pulled out of the moment by any of the voice acting. I agree that Titus was perhaps a tad over acted, but it seemed to fit the picture and the 3D model of the character in my mind. All of the new actors seemed like an improvement over the previous ones, at least in a quick Youtube comparison.

Also, I 100% did not realize that Mark Holcomb was voiding the FALN truck driver guy and the beret dude until I looked it up. Crazy because I've watched hours of his guitar clinics before and thought I'd have recognized him.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think some of the new voices are definitely steps down, but it is nice to hear voices that sound like they were properly recorded.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
one thing i really appreciated about this second playthrough was just how much the game tells you, but in such a way that you only really understand it when you've played through once. the most startling was a shivers check that went along the lines of 'out on the island, an old man taps on his scope and takes aim'

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This sold me on an electrochemistry run a couple days ago

and it was a great decision

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

one thing i really appreciated about this second playthrough was just how much the game tells you, but in such a way that you only really understand it when you've played through once. the most startling was a shivers check that went along the lines of 'out on the island, an old man taps on his scope and takes aim'

There's a couple points where, probably with high enough Perception, you catch the light glinting off of something out in the bay, likely the deserter's scope.

There's also my favorite foreshadowing line, when you're talking to the dead body and ask who killed him: "Communism killed me, but love pulled the trigger."

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Lugubrious posted:

There's a couple points where, probably with high enough Perception, you catch the light glinting off of something out in the bay, likely the deserter's scope.

I'd heard of these checks, and was really excited when I thought I found one right on Klaasje's roof! But it turned out to just be an insanely well-timed spotlight to kick off the superstar thought. :v:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
People rightly talk up DE's writing for being extremely good, but I want to see more people recognize that its mechanical choices are also extremely good.

Not just mechanic as in, has stats, has a thought cabinet, but the mechanics of the dialogue system. One thing I've been thinking of is, how the combination of frontloading your stat choices and an incredible amount of triggered dialogue depending on your stats continuously makes you reflect upon the choices you made at the start of the game. Its something seriously underappreciated about "builds" and other things involving stats in RPGs and other games; its not enough to offer a lot of choices and options, you have to make sure those choices have discernable impact. DE makes one set of choices reverberate constantly throughought its game thru every mechanical system they have. Every time you roll a dialouge check, every time a passive skill check is made and gives you something to read, every time some ambient node lights up based on your skills, that one choice you made reflects back upon you. Those things appear, those events occur, because of what you did. And it also makes you think about what you're not seeing because of your choice.

Of course, like all choice things, there are illusionary elements to it; for instance, the vast majority of passive skill checks are unlocked at only 4 ranks in a skill; but its a really powerful reinforcer of giving you a sense of agency over the game. I think a lot of the "art" of game mechanics is the ability for the player to express themselves into the gameplay via decisions that impact the mechanics of their character in a way that makes a quantifiable difference; for instance, choosing a double jump over a sprint and noting the times where you can reach new areas, but also noting the times where sprinting could have helped you. A lot of combat oriented RPGs really miss the boat here; they have more complex mechanical systems than DE, they offer a much larger sphere of decisions and choices related to player build, but the vast majority of time, these choices never feel as impactful even in one moment as this solitary choice made by the player in DE ends up feeling repeatedly throughout the game. In a lot of RPGs, there's a lot of simply bad choices, for one; builds that are not mathematically optimal in a system dominated by ability scores and choices that do nothing but act upon them. Even when the difference is winning and losing, there's not much apparent affect or feedback to the player that makes them go "it was this choice that made a difference" or otherwise helps a player draw a direct connection between their decisions and the results, and achieve some level of self expression in the game that way.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 10, 2021

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Starks posted:

It's the old way, which he thinks means it is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

these choices never feel as impactful even in one moment as this solitary choice made by the player in DE ends up feeling repeatedly throughout the game.