Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's crazy to me that Awkwafina got famous via a viral Youtube video rapping about how much better her vagina is than other vaginas and has released one album, but been in nearly half a dozen $300+ million movies since.

Somehow, getting famous for rapping ended her rap career and exploded her acting career into one that many major actors would be jealous of, despite the fact that she never acted prior.

She's been acting in minor roles since 2013 and hosted several TV shows and won a Golden Globe in 2020, it's not like she went directly from Youtube to Oceans' Eight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alexander Hamilton posted:

The Mandarin being some loser actor was one of the genuinely hilarious things to come from the MCU and I’m bummed they’re abandoning that.

They didn't abandon it. Slattery was only ever a front for the real Mandarin - the movie didn't hide this.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bushisms.txt posted:

The Lonely Island makes fun of people like her

People having fun?

The Mandarin being some loser actor was one of the genuinely hilarious things to come from the MCU and I’m bummed they’re abandoning that.

Ah that's sucks, I didn't realize that was supposed to be the 'real' Mandarin in the trailer. Hopefully the People's Mandarin comes back in some form.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A certain set of people being jazzed about Ben Kingsley playing the Mandarin and then losing their minds about the reveal was unironically the best comedy from the movie.

In Shang-Chi, his Dad is allegedly based on the Mandarin, but won't be related to his comic version in almost anyway.

Unless they have been hiding some massively story twists in casting and production, then he doesn't have the same costume, backstory, or looks as the comic version.

Also, his rings aren't alien technology. But, I could see that being a twist/plot point that would be easy to keep under wraps compared to the others.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 19, 2021

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Jedit posted:

They didn't abandon it. Slattery was only ever a front for the real Mandarin - the movie didn't hide this.

I thought the whole organization was made up by Guy Pearce but maybe I’m wrong. It made sense as a continuation of the other Iron Man movies, where the terrifying Other was really just a front for a white capitalist rear end in a top hat.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I thought the whole organization was made up by Guy Pearce but maybe I’m wrong. It made sense as a continuation of the other Iron Man movies, where the terrifying Other was really just a front for a white capitalist rear end in a top hat.

Nah, the bad guys who kidnap Tony Stark before he's Iron Man are part of the Ten Rings: you can see their flag in the background when they film his hostage video.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

thrawn527 posted:

It's funny, because I'm seeing some people on Twitter who live in Sydney saying it was filmed there and saying it clearly looks like it, especially the bus scene at the end. I feel like they had to slap "CALIFORNIA" on the front of the bus to make it clear where it was set.

I think that’s just meant to be California St which is one of the larger, more prominent streets in SF

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

omg chael crash posted:

I think that’s just meant to be California St which is one of the larger, more prominent streets in SF

Sure, that's the "in universe" reason it's on the bus. But I stand by my reason the filmmakers put it in the movie. They could have picked any street. They chose to plaster "CALIFORNIA" on the front of the bus so you'd know where it was set, since they filmed it in Sydney, Australia.

Which is hilarious, to me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, the way it ultimately plays out is that the Ten Rings is real, the Mandarin is real, Guy Pearce was pretending to be them with the help of the actor, but the real one was still real and secretive.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

thrawn527 posted:

Sure, that's the "in universe" reason it's on the bus. But I stand by my reason the filmmakers put it in the movie. They could have picked any street. They chose to plaster "CALIFORNIA" on the front of the bus so you'd know where it was set, since they filmed it in Sydney, Australia.

Oh yeah, that’s fair

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

thrawn527 posted:

No they did film some in San Francisco https://abc7news.com/marvel-shang-chi-shang-chi-movie-steamboat-filming-san-francisco/7189370/

The article even mentions the bus from the trailer

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shang-Chi's dad is Fu-Manchu, but since he hates the racist novels featuring him he just calls himself the Mandarin now.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

stev posted:

People having fun?

Imagine if any comedian's routine was speaking with a hyperbolic Asian accent in the last decade. It wasn't even funny, it was just her leaning on the visual of a small Asian woman with a big personality.

And then she drops it the second she makes it. Black culture was a costume for her.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

PlushCow posted:

No they did film some in San Francisco https://abc7news.com/marvel-shang-chi-shang-chi-movie-steamboat-filming-san-francisco/7189370/

The article even mentions the bus from the trailer

Oh I didn't realize that. Every article I had scene so far just mentioned Sydney. My mistake.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
According to IMDB almost everything was Sydney except some second unit stuff in SF.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9376612/locations

But this could, of course, be wrong.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m kinda tired of rich people superheroes. I like the action and Simu Liu but man if you already have to make adjustments because of the Fu Manchu stuff could we have not gotten another rich guy?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m kinda tired of rich people superheroes. I like the action and Simu Liu but man if you already have to make adjustments because of the Fu Manchu stuff could we have not gotten another rich guy?

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Crazy Rich Asians

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I don't think Shang-Chi is technically rich. He isn't a billionaire in the comics. He just used to be a part of the ~*secret society of assassins bent on world domination*~

The random goons in the League of Shadows in Batman Begins weren't rich, but they were part of an organization that had an unclear (but probably large) amount of resources and influence.

Shang-Chi left a decade ago and seems to be working at some blue collar job in San Francisco.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Shang Chi and the Legend of the Crazy Rich Asians

I wonder if there is a connection between Crazy Rich Asians doing so well and Shang Chi getting greenlit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bushisms.txt posted:

And then she drops it the second she makes it. Black culture was a costume for her.

She's also explicitly said the Awkwafina persona was meant to be something she could turn on and off

so not a good look in general. more if you reduce it to "just having fun" the way that Danielle Bregoli and Whoah Vicky do

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: The Flash movie has begun filming :siren:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Confirmed

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1384245987221282819?s=20

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I wonder if the earlier story about him being concerned about taking the role due to COVID (perfectly understandable) was just a negotiation tactic (also perfectly understandable).

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I wonder if the earlier story about him being concerned about taking the role due to COVID (perfectly understandable) was just a negotiation tactic (also perfectly understandable).

Seems like it, at the very least I think it's clear WB made certain that they could announce the film was started and that they got Keaton back after wave of bad press in recent weeks

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Violator posted:

I'm not familiar with her outside of Crazy Rich Asians, did she really have a strong hip-hop persona? Watching the My Vag video for the first time the whole thing seems similar to The Lonely Island?

I definitely see the criticism of her "co-opting black culture," particularly for her earlier online stuff, but I still genuinely like her presence in movies. The Farewell is a tremendously good movie and she does a very good, understated job in it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's a leak of Funko Pops and official merchandise from Shang-Chi that seems to indicate it is way crazier and supernatural than the trailer looked.

- There's a giant dragon that looks like a white/red Fin Fang Foom that is just labelled "The Great Protector" that seems to indicate they either are taking Fin Fang Foom in a different direction, they are going with actual alien dragons from the comics, or the "twist" is that the dragon protector is actually an evil Fin Fang Foom.

- The 10 Rings that look like large bracelets in the trailer are also supposed to be "rings" that fit on the end of the nail of a dragon. If they go with the "alien dragon" angle from the comics, then this would mesh with the comics lore of the rings being alien.

- There's a bunch of weapons and shields that look like they are made of dragon scales.

- Shang-Chi, Katy, and Wenwu all have "normal" clothes and a costume.

If they do go with that certain character, I hope they factor this comics plot detail into their origin in the movie:

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 19, 2021

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that's the only Fing Fang Foom that people care about so it'll probably be a touchstone in one way or another

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

We're gonna make our own Flash movie! With Batman! And another Batman! Ya know what... forget the Flash movie.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Flash movie started filming almost exactly 3 years after the original date it was supposed to release in theaters.

Something... something... time travel reference.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Flash movie started filming almost exactly 3 years after the original date it was supposed to release in theaters.

-just long enough for me to kill Iris!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

We're gonna make our own Flash movie! With Batman! And another Batman! Ya know what... forget the Flash movie.

:hmmyes:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Something... something... time travel reference.

DC out-New Mutantsing Marvel.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edward Mass posted:

Three minutes later, they finished.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just hope they don't directly reference anything from the Whedon cut. Let me live in my Zack Snyder fantasy land, dammit!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Oh hey! You're my Bruce!"

"Not quite. I come from a parallel universe where you and I are very similar but much lamer. In fact we're meeting for brunch in an hour"

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She's been acting in minor roles since 2013 and hosted several TV shows and won a Golden Globe in 2020, it's not like she went directly from Youtube to Oceans' Eight

She got famous off doing her immensely corny minstrelsy gag in 2012 and kept doing it until a couple years ago despite people pointing out it's hosed up and racist. Without that she'd probably be a nobody. If the positions were reversed and some non-Asian actor had tried to break out by performing music while sounding like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's people would rightfully flip their poo poo.

I must've missed the thing where she said it was a "persona" because last I read about it was that she claimed the blaccent and "hood" aesthetic was her natural way of speaking because of where she grew up - which is obviously not true since she dropped it as soon as she started getting more serious roles. By all accounts she's a decent enough performer in most things and probably will go on to larger success but the way she got famous will always be off-putting enough that I won't (pay to) watch anything with her in it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mat Cauthon posted:

She got famous off doing her immensely corny minstrelsy gag in 2012 and kept doing it until a couple years ago despite people pointing out it's hosed up and racist. Without that she'd probably be a nobody. If the positions were reversed and some non-Asian actor had tried to break out by performing music while sounding like Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's people would rightfully flip their poo poo.

I must've missed the thing where she said it was a "persona" because last I read about it was that she claimed the blaccent and "hood" aesthetic was her natural way of speaking because of where she grew up - which is obviously not true since she dropped it as soon as she started getting more serious roles. By all accounts she's a decent enough performer in most things and probably will go on to larger success but the way she got famous will always be off-putting enough that I won't (pay to) watch anything with her in it.

Part of the problem is that she herself is not white. Which feels real loving weird to write but here we are

When Iggy popped in doing the same routine, a lot of people poo poo down her throat over it, though not enough to derail her career. She did that her own self.

But because Awkawafina is Asian she tends to get a bit more credit than she deserves in this regard.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mat Cauthon posted:

She got famous off doing her immensely corny minstrelsy gag in 2012 and kept doing it until a couple years ago despite people pointing out it's hosed up and racist.

Are you talking about her 'My Vag' song? Because that was a parody of this Jewish rapper:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRO1SVeU1p4

I'm not trying to be the Awkwafina Defender (I'd barely heard of her before I googled her yesterday) I'm genuinely curious

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I have little investment on Aquafina, but Hell Yeah let’s get black and Asian people to fight eachother for our amusement.

Check out this take: Wu Tang Clan is cultural appropriation. They aren’t Chinese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I have little investment on Aquafina, but Hell Yeah let’s get black and Asian people to fight eachother for our amusement.

Check out this take: Wu Tang Clan is cultural appropriation. They aren’t Chinese!
The problem with cultural appropriation is that it's been smoothed out to just mean "People of a different culture borrowing thing from other culture." But cultural appropriation is fundamentally about colonialism, the notion of a dominant culture that can both marginalize other cultures and pick through them for the parts they want. It is rooted in how white supremacy does not just dominate, but turns the other into a commodity. And in that sense, appropriation isn't strictly tied to race, but also has class elements to it.