Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Patch notes say they added the possibility of double warnings. Looks like a permanent addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Fabricated posted:

Hmm, no, don't think I will

Huh, funny you should mention that.

This one's very on the nose:

Oh. Oh, no. No, no, no. No, thank you.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Patch notes say they added the possibility of double warnings. Looks like a permanent addition.

It is, but the end of the Double Warning section in the update log says this:

quote:

NB! Missions with double warnings are deemed so challenging that they have been excluded from Deep Dives and Assignments.

However, Double Warning missions are being picked by the game to be part of assignments, like in the screenshot (the right textbox says <> ASSIGNMENT MISSION <>) so it's likely an oversight in the code they'll patch.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Drop-pod duping doretta is so last patch. Now it's time for advanced-level Doretta duplication, right at the source:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man the PGL feels so much better now. And Turret Whip is feeling a lot better now.

Also

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/UkPWFFn.mp4

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
nuerotox flak/volatile bulldog gunner seems like a pwnage combo. any good team will cream bugs because you can debuff an entire wave no problemo and you get so much toxin ammo. completely weak to dreads tho since they can't be set on fire

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I thought they said assignments wouldn't have double warnings

forget double warnings on assignments, you get triple music at the end screen

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
They decided to increase the reload speed of the nade launcher rocketjump overclock and put in a bigger damage penalty than remove the downside. :(

I want to rocketjump a few times, not all the time and only swat grunts or webspinners.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man the PGL feels so much better now. And Turret Whip is feeling a lot better now.

Also

Burgle wurgle

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Took a crack at this week's EDD. In stage 2, a swarm with an Elite Detonator and Elite Tri-Jaw spawned while I was fighting the dreadnoughts. Christ

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

erenoyo posted:

an Elite Detonator

Yeah, I am good without this in my life.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Looks like the new hotfix broke some stuff. Apart from NOT fixing the swarm music playing throughout the entire mission and layering tracks including on the end screen, it appears to have done something with chatbox/alt-tabbing where it jerks my camera to the side or up each time, and broken mineral multipliers; we just finished a mission with 12 Enor Pearl and after the 130% bonus it was 16, so it only added 30%.

E: Did a few more missions and the mineral multiplier seems to have been applied properly. First one was under 100% so I thought maybe an overflow but we did one over 100% and it was correct. Maybe it was just a glitch?

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 23, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Yeah had multiple instances where I alt tabbed and the game mess up with controls not registering and then crashing.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

My Driller Promotion assignments last night were exclusively double hazard. I think they set a True where there should be a False somewhere.

I also got the "jump against angled terrain while near an enemy and get launched across the map" bug. I don't think that's ever been fully fixed, but I haven't seen it in a while and it happened at least 3 times that I remember.

That being said... swarmlings + haunted can gently caress RIGHT OFF. I swear the ghost got quieter because he snuck up on me a couple of times.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Delacroix posted:

They decided to increase the reload speed of the nade launcher rocketjump overclock and put in a bigger damage penalty than remove the downside. :(

I want to rocketjump a few times, not all the time and only swat grunts or webspinners.
during a short period in the experimental patch they did actually remove the damage penalty, and basically all the people who actually used rj250 complained about it(including this guy who has over 1,000 hours specifically playing as rj250 engie) because having increased damage means you can't rocket jump as much without dying, and it got reverted back

they also made platforms+PGL nades inherit your movespeed, which means if you're falling or flying horizontally really fast you won't outpace the platform/nade meant to break your fall and die

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 23, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That clip is some next-level wizard bullshit. :staredog:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I am kinda disappointed the Elite enemies look completely normal save for a visible health bar. I was expecting at least some palette swaps. Maybe a few extra spikes or something.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am kinda disappointed the Elite enemies look completely normal save for a visible health bar. I was expecting at least some palette swaps. Maybe a few extra spikes or something.

There's always time for that though

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah the weird mmo style reticle is really out of place imo. Just tinge their armor ommoran, easy peasy visual cue, it ties into the game and is easily understandable.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

A Moose posted:

There's always time for that though

Yeah, I do hope this is a first pass sort of things.

I'd also like to see Elite Enemies become something more than just "basic enemy with boosted stats". Give them extra, maybe even semi-random abilities.

Like imagine if an Elite Glyphid Grunt/Guard/Slasher was randomly given the ability to:

Webspit before closing in to attack
Burrow and relocate like a Menace or the Twins
Create a damaging AoE like a Radioactive Praetorian
Could do a smaller version of the Oppressor's knockback attack
Could make leaping attacks like a Swarmer, perhaps with more horizontality
Had Oppressor level armor with most attacks doing chip damage and needed to be shot in the face for any real effect
Could spit Poison/Frost/Flames like a Praetorian/Lacerator
Could send out Lacerator style blade waves (maybe only one instead of a trio)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

I'm pretty sure wanting to give an elite slasher any of those things makes you a bad person. Wanting it to be a random surprise which one you get? Put it back in your pants, Satan

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Well, you could make them less of a stat boost if you give them abilities.

Also put a Icon on the Name/Health bar showing what power they have.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I decided to try doing Face Melter things. Still doesn't feel good enough to be worth using over Sticky Fuel. Then, I decided to try the Cryo Cannon with the recently buffed Ice Storm.

Folks, if you're into direct damage weapons, it doesn't get much better than a 11212 Ice Storm Cryo Cannon. Holy poo poo, this thing absolutely rips. Big gribs, small gribs, dreadnought gribs, you name it. My buddy and I just tore apart an Elimination mission without trying.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Using flamer for direct damage will just make you cry tears of blood, face melter is more to patch its weakness, say when you have to shoot mactera with a constant stream, while still using it as a fire dot instant applicator.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, you could make them less of a stat boost if you give them abilities.

Also put a Icon on the Name/Health bar showing what power they have.

considering how many bugs there are and how many status effects you listed, there would not be time to mouseover individual bugs out of a swarm to see the elite and get the bar to show, see the icon, figure out what bonus that icon represents, and then counter it before you either kill it as you would normally or get eaten by the other 80 bugs. If their health is reduced to compensate, the complexity of random bonuses and icon interpretation is even less meaningful since you just kill them faster than you would now.

and for any class designed to pick off high value bugs, like a scout, unless their bonus is "invulnerable to m1k" it's super meaningless so ... you're adding a lot of complication for not a lot of return.

tl;dr: no, i don't think this is good design. more hp is boring, but more hp is also a safe bet on making elites add a little variety without having to go back to the drawing board.

Kith posted:

Folks, if you're into direct damage weapons, it doesn't get much better than a 11212 Ice Storm Cryo Cannon. Holy poo poo, this thing absolutely rips. Big gribs, small gribs, dreadnought gribs, you name it. My buddy and I just tore apart an Elimination mission without trying.

i'm gonna see if my cryo-cannon loving friend is using this because he mentioned his cryo gun doing a lot more damage last night which is 100% ok by me

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 23, 2021

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Homeless Friend posted:

Using flamer for direct damage will just make you cry tears of blood, face melter is more to patch its weakness, say when you have to shoot mactera with a constant stream, while still using it as a fire dot instant applicator.

I'm aware. I've been trying off and on to make Face Melter work as a direct damage option and the strength just... isn't there. Sticky Fuel is just too drat strong and too drat versatile, and the Subata cleans up Mactera too well. I thought the patch would make Face Melter good enough to at least be competitive, but there's still too much missing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kith posted:

I'm aware. I've been trying off and on to make Face Melter work as a direct damage option and the strength just... isn't there. Sticky Fuel is just too drat strong and too drat versatile, and the Subata cleans up Mactera too well. I thought the patch would make Face Melter good enough to at least be competitive, but there's still too much missing.

It's not competitive but it's at least usable, as opposed to not usable

Also ice storm has always been great for the record

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Face melter was good before & still is. I’m not a fan of losing range and tank size but it’s probably a bit better than losing ammo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
If you use heat flamer exclusively like me, it is way too good an oc to pass up now since it is effectively covering all your bases for negligible downside. It's a unfiltered & oversized for free. Add ammo mods and you get the same ammo as light tanks.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dogen posted:

Also ice storm has always been great for the record

I know, my friend swore by it. Then it got buffed, and jeez.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Face melter was good before & still is. I’m not a fan of losing range and tank size but it’s probably a bit better than losing ammo.

Face Melter was "aggressively okay-ish" before. Post-buff it's "alright enough", but still outclassed by Sticky Fuel and totally outclassed by Ice Storm.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Kith posted:

The lack of ammo on Ice Storm is definitely more noticeable, but it also totally shreds grunts while still making short work of most other things.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Kith posted:

Face Melter was "aggressively okay-ish" before. Post-buff it's "alright enough", but still outclassed by Sticky Fuel and totally outclassed by Ice Storm.

that says more about Sticky Fuel than anything else. IMO I think Sticky Fuel is now better for crowds and CC in general with Face Melter being a much better single target option for the big boys. Face Melter is also way more ammo efficient then Ice Storm, as much damage as Ice Storm now does it still feels really inefficient in terms of ammo usage.

Driller def feels like the most narrow class in terms of effective weapon selection now for sure, every other class is sitting pretty.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

during a short period in the experimental patch they did actually remove the damage penalty, and basically all the people who actually used rj250 complained about it(including this guy who has over 1,000 hours specifically playing as rj250 engie) because having increased damage means you can't rocket jump as much without dying, and it got reverted back

they also made platforms+PGL nades inherit your movespeed, which means if you're falling or flying horizontally really fast you won't outpace the platform/nade meant to break your fall and die

All they had to do was remove friendly fire from it, the autocannon used to splash people but not anymore. It would have been a simple fix.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
then it's just way way better than base with no downside. also rocket jumping is not as cool/interesting if you are not trading at least a bit of health to bounce around the map

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

then it's just way way better than base with no downside. also rocket jumping is not as cool/interesting if you are not trading at least a bit of health to bounce around the map

It has a downside, you're using ammo to rocketjump instead of explode bugs. You also need to avoid cratering with it because you don't have as much leeway as the scout sawn off jumping. It has to be better than Pack Rat which I only ever swap out for hyper propellant for dreads.

RJ250 isn't as good as people think it is, it's fine if you mess around on haz 3 though.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I finally got the Sticky Fuel Overclock a couple weeks ago and yeah, it's insanely good, especially with the extended flames and slowdown mods. Even better, my final OC was the Tranquilizer Rounds for the Subata, and although it lacks the punch of other ones, it combos incredibly well against Praetorians; stun one, put some sticky flames under it, by the time the stun wears off it's already reached full burn and lost half health, just stun it again, minimal ammo usage (I was pleased to see it get a tiny buff this update). Tranq is also nice for stunning Menaces and other far targets, or taking a specific enemy out of the fight temporarily. Obviously this combo doesn't work against enemies immune to stun, which with the addition of elite enemies has gone up, but it hasn't let me down yet on Haz 4 missions.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Are elite enemies immune to stun? That's a bit of a hit to the utility and dps of Stunner Warthog if so. :smith:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 24, 2021

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Unsinkabear posted:

Are elite enemies immune to stun? That's a bit of a hit to the utility and dps of Stunner Warthog if so. :smith:

Can't be set on fire or frozen up. Had an elite glyhpid guard and it was a real pain in the rear end for my Driller that depends on freezing enemies with the cryo and lighting them up with the plasma pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Does the autocannon direct and splash damage stack or should I be aiming to miss enemies slightly? The former makes more sense to me, but while playing it seemed like the latter.