Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress no, you call him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Maed posted:

I could only handle a few episodes cause of stuff like this. No acid in a high school is gonna be strong enough to dissolve a body and bath tub. I was told the show was accurate but this ruined it for me.
Lol

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The HF episode was a secret trap for serial killers to start posting well actuallys en masse on the internet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Maed posted:

I could only handle a few episodes cause of stuff like this. No acid in a high school is gonna be strong enough to dissolve a body and bath tub. I was told the show was accurate but this ruined it for me.

I don't know if you know this, but it's cheaper to sell concentrated acids which are then diluted for use in school experiments. I don't know about a body, but it would certainly eat through the bathtub.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I read about a company offering wet "cremations". They bung the body into a human-sized pressure cooker with lye and keep going for a few days until everything's dissolved.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maed posted:

You missed out then. Shows drat good.

Honestly they probably picked HF because the good stuffs harder to come by and sounds more exotic. Stuff you can use to dissolve flesh is way easier to find and fairly to mega-dangerous at the needed concentrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Z the IVth posted:

I read about a company offering wet "cremations". They bung the body into a human-sized pressure cooker with lye and keep going for a few days until everything's dissolved.
Don't they neutralize the body soup and put it down the sewer drain too

Gonna specify this in my will but only if they literally flush me down a toilet bit by bit :george:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

You missed out then. Shows drat good.

Honestly they probably picked HF because the good stuffs harder to come by and sounds more exotic. Stuff you can use to dissolve flesh is way easier to find and fairly to mega-dangerous at the needed concentrations.

If the point is to dissolve the tub, you probably need HF to get through the porcelain. It wouldn't be all that great at dissolving a body, but weaker acids just take more time.

Dissolving a body is just hydrolyzing proteins, which is catalyzed by both acid and base.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Breaking Bad deliberately got chemistry stuff wrong to prevent people from using the show as reference material. Or at least the writers claim they did, it's also entirely possible they didn't bother researching that stuff too deep since it literally doesn't matter and being too accurate might have legal implications.

e: I think. I might also actually be thinking about some other show with a similar premise, but I'm pretty sure it was Breaking Bad.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ruflux posted:

Breaking Bad deliberately got chemistry stuff wrong to prevent people from using the show as reference material. Or at least the writers claim they did, it's also entirely possible they didn't bother researching that stuff too deep since it literally doesn't matter and being too accurate might have legal implications.

e: I think. I might also actually be thinking about some other show with a similar premise, but I'm pretty sure it was Breaking Bad.

Probably also thinking of Fight Club, where they change bomb ingredients so no one would make one from the movie.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ruflux posted:

That's fairly common in hollywood, they don't want to be filming the Anarchist's Cookbook by accident. Tyler Durden doesn't give out a real recipe for napalm either

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Deteriorata posted:

If the point is to dissolve the tub, you probably need HF to get through the porcelain. It wouldn't be all that great at dissolving a body, but weaker acids just take more time.

Dissolving a body is just hydrolyzing proteins, which is catalyzed by both acid and base.

Yeah and you don't want to tell your viewers to go out and dissolve meat in hot piranha.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Probably also thinking of Fight Club, where they change bomb ingredients so no one would make one from the movie.

Or The Terminator, where they said they bought ammonia, moth balls, and corn syrup to make pipe bombs. That got a reflexive what? from me when I heard it.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ruflux posted:

Breaking Bad depicts procuring castor beans and creating ricin

https://www.newsweek.com/ricin-how-often-do-people-poison-each-other-breaking-bad-toxin-365694

The blue meth is just decoration for storytelling purposes though, the science isn't real.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

Tyler Durden doesn't give out a real recipe for napalm either

And now edgy teenagers are forever claiming that napalm is just gasoline and frozen orange juice

I'm sure some kids have tried it.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Talkc posted:

I'm not a mythbuster or a ATF Agent, but how much tannerite is too much for a gender reveal?

80lbs sounds like a bit much to announce that your fetus has a biological resemblance of a gender.

Apparently the story is in New Hampshire a bunch of Cis weirdos decided to recreate tunguska in order to announce their baby having gentials and the explosion was strong enough to crack foundations near the quarry they decided to do it in and could be heard in a neighboring new england state.

JFC, we are one step away from someone dropping "its a boy" on a foreign nation as a declaration of mutually assured destruction.

https://twitter.com/_Anunnery/status/1385388998017765378?s=20

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

And now edgy teenagers are forever claiming that napalm is just gasoline and frozen orange juice

I'm sure some kids have tried it.

gasoline and frozen orange juice sounds like some hardcore wino poo poo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Z the IVth posted:

There's an idea of freeze drying corpses, but doesn't seem like anyone has used it on a human body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbKXjqXKLY

In the video, she mentions "wet" cremation as another theoretical option that hasn't left the concept phase, but I don't know anything about it.

I thought she had a video of someone looking at how to turn cremation remains into animal feed, but I can't find it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

haveblue posted:

That's fairly common in hollywood, they don't want to be filming the Anarchist's Cookbook by accident. Tyler Durden doesn't give out a real recipe for napalm either

Making a movie with inaccurate recipes for dangerous substances is pretty on brand for the Anarchist Cookbook.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Breaking Bad using a conventional electromagnet to wreck the police evidence locker was 100% the most exaggerated/ made up poo poo in that show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Source4Leko posted:

Breaking Bad using a conventional electromagnet to wreck the police evidence locker was 100% the most exaggerated/ made up poo poo in that show.

It was either that or dropping a homemade bomb at his feet that blew out every window in the room and left everyone in it still standing and capable of normal conversation

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

It was either that or dropping a homemade bomb at his feet that blew out every window in the room and left everyone in it still standing and capable of normal conversation

Yea that too I forgot about that.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Z the IVth posted:

This is where we can all learn from the professionals. Mexican cartels swear by it too, you just throw it all in a 55-gallon drum and heat it up. Don't overcomplicate things with chemicals you can't pronounce, just get some good old-fashioned lye.

Lye: for all your body dissolving needs.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Ruflux posted:

I'm reminded how in the game The Division, there's a faction of civilian terrorists who use a shitload of napalm as their go-to. In their HQ, there's graffiti saying "how to make napalm; step 1: grape soda concentrate,"

Which is extra hilarious since there were multiple radio chatters talking about getting polystyrene in quantity and dissolving it into gasoline.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Deteriorata posted:

This is probably a main reason the writers chose HF, but most bathtubs are some sort of fiberglass or plastic anyway. At least that's what I heard from Left-Eye.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Z the IVth posted:

Putting the creamy back in crematorium

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

When I die, I want to be featured in a special episode of Will It Blend?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Azathoth posted:

gasoline and frozen orange juice sounds like some hardcore wino poo poo

Got nothing on Turpentine and honey, now that's a drink to go mad with your mentor/enemy/homosexual yearning subject.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I want my body on the hydraulic press channel. Put it in a big container, then press it with one those plates with all the holes in it, so my entrails erupt out like bloody play-dough.

The hosts must then shout "PERKELE!" to complete the effect.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I want my body on the hydraulic press channel. Put it in a big container, then press it with one those plates with all the holes in it, so my entrails erupt out like bloody play-dough.

Does he also have to say "It is very dangerous, and we must deal with it."

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cthulu Carl posted:

Does he also have to say "It is very dangerous, and we must deal with it."

My wife and I watch like everything they've ever done him and his wife are great.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

PERKELE also translates "By the Satan/Chief God" so this checks out.

It depends if you believe the Swedish crusaders with their god nailed to a cross, or the locals from the 12th century.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Source4Leko posted:

Did he use use a magnet to erase a drive or something or did he use it to bypass a lock? Because the latter is distressingly plausible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58MiE_mUDBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCay5ek_cW0

Never watched Breaking Bad so I'm curious. But yeah, wrong ingredients in media/intentionally bad science is a longstanding tradition to avoid getting in trouble from when someone goes "I learned how to do it from watching/playing/reading X!" Payday 2 had a meth level where you combined 3 ingredients in random order to make your meth, all while fighting back an endless police raid. Caustic Soda, Muriatic Acid...and I think Hydrochloric acid. Just shove them all in there. It was also kind of infamous since one of the lines was bugged so you had to ask your team mates what your handler made lest you set the entire building on fire. The devs thought the incorrect line was hilarious and left it in.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

Did he use use a magnet to erase a drive or something or did he use it to bypass a lock? Because the latter is distressingly plausible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58MiE_mUDBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCay5ek_cW0

Never watched Breaking Bad so I'm curious. But yeah, wrong ingredients in media/intentionally bad science is a longstanding tradition to avoid getting in trouble from when someone goes "I learned how to do it from watching/playing/reading X!" Payday 2 had a meth level where you combined 3 ingredients in random order to make your meth, all while fighting back an endless police raid. Caustic Soda, Muriatic Acid...and I think Hydrochloric acid. Just shove them all in there. It was also kind of infamous since one of the lines was bugged so you had to ask your team mates what your handler made lest you set the entire building on fire. The devs thought the incorrect line was hilarious and left it in.

They used it to erase a hard drive from outside the building and pulled the truck on its side and hosed up a bunch of poo poo inside the building. Just totally impossible sci-fi poo poo. Might as well have had aliens land and help Walt at that point.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

xtal posted:

The blue meth is just decoration for storytelling purposes though, the science isn't real.

The blue is for storytelling purposes, but apparently the writers did their homework, and almost all of the science (at least related to cooking meth, maybe not the other stuff) is quite sound. There's a really good article in Popular Mechanics talking about this. Most of their cooking process is scientifically accurate, and instead of making up misleading formulae like Fight Club to dissuade copycats, the writers simply never showed the entire cook going down. The only big problem with the science in the show, and it is a big one, is that the old-school 'biker meth' P2P method they move to quite early on couldn't possibly yield any purity near what they achieve - it has something to do with chirality, I'm also no chemist. But this much can easily be chalked up to Walt's genius having cracked the code to separate the mirror molecules. This is actually cleverly brought up in an episode when Walt is grilling Victor in Box Cutter, he asks him "If our reduction is not stereospecific, then how can our product be enantiomerically pure?" to which there is no answer, except presumably in Walt's big galaxy brain.

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I remember looking up methylamine back when I watched the show and thinking that it really wouldn't be that hard to make from scratch (like the synthesis was just "combine methane and ammonia over a platinum catalyst" or something?). Though I'm not a chemist so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.

They sort of address this in the show, although having rewatched it recently they're talking about (as far as I know) a completely different chemical. When Jesse goes to Mexico to show the cartel his methods, they don't have barrels of phenylacetic acid like his lab does; their cook says they synthesize it themselves, and that 'any chemistry student could make their own' before Jesse goes Quality Control on him and makes him source the "barrel with the bee on it." I had initially thought this was the same as the methylamine from earlier and later in the series - there's a bit of confusion because the barrels look very similar to the one they steal in season 1, but on rewatch it's totally different stuff. In any case there's your "anyone worth their salt could make this themselves" moment.

I'm not a scientist either, I just recently rewatched the whole series and loved it, maybe even more than the first time through.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Pseudoephedrine is a controlled substance because it's easy to synthesize methamphetamines from it in stovetop chem labs.

It's also the one thing I've found so far that really flattens my post-nasal drip, which when left uncontrolled has me feeling like I'm drowning myself sometimes. There's a procedure floating around for turning meth back into sudafed that I hang onto in case it's ever banned...

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Just curious, but what's the point/advantage? Cheaper? Environment? In the Midwest, regular cremation costs around $1000 atm. Probably over 50% of that goes into natural gas costs?

Cheapest and most environmentally friendly legal body disposal in the US (barring donation) might be basic pine box without embalming.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

There was this short film, MethAndFriendOfMine, that was written by a dude who cooked and had a 100% accurate depiction of making shake-and-bake (along with a bunch of mediocre student film drama). I just found out that the trailer is still online...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWf4ff_4W0o

EDIT:

Otteration posted:

Just curious, but what's the point/advantage? Cheaper? Environment? In the Midwest, regular cremation costs around $1000 atm. Probably over 50% of that goes into natural gas costs?

Cheapest and most environmentally friendly legal body disposal in the US (barring donation) might be basic pine box without embalming.

People want novelty. Especially when faced with the finality of death.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Surely the most environmental burial is just throwing your body into the woods so the animals can have at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

People want novelty. Especially when faced with the finality of death.

Just looked it up a bit. Apparently it uses less energy, but costs about the same.

Pine box or sky burial please.