Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The_Doctor posted:

I would like to hear this story very much.

It was more ‘normal’ ghost poo poo- I’d often hear footsteps in the landing when I went to the loo late at night. Bathroom door was made of that wavy looking glass so you could see shapes in the landing if the light was on. Often would have footsteps come up to the bathroom door while I was taking a poo poo or in the bath, but there’d be nothing in the landing.

My then girlfriend when she later moved in with me would occasionally wake up to see an elderly looking woman at the foot of the bed for a few seconds, though I never saw her. And sometimes there’d be a voice talking in the kitchen late at night- could never really make out words though.

Tbh it was the levitating pie tins I found the most interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

i have a bag of frozen leeks can confirm they freeze well

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

excuse me im not elderly looking or a woman, and do you know how hard it is to cook pies in the dark

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've got early rhubarb at the allotment, which looks a bit like leek in a way

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Sudden Javelin posted:

Might try out one of those automatic car washes. I've only been in one in my dads car as a child so I am paranoid there'll be some basic and obvious but critical thing about it that everyone knows but I don't, exposing what a sheltered piss baby I am when I end up needing help

I'm too unclear on how those work to attempt them. Do I just roll up and tap my card? I don't want to cause a blockage

When I need my car properly washing I just throw money away on one of those dubious places outside a supermarket where there is a price list but they ignore it and the man looks you up and down before declaring it's anywhere from £20 to £90

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Note the name of the auto car wash and then search it on YouTube. It’s exact the kind of thing a group of nerds will have been documenting.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

SA Forums > GBS > UK Chat: elderly ghosts keep moving my pie in a tin

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Mojo Jojo posted:

I'm too unclear on how those work to attempt them. Do I just roll up and tap my card? I don't want to cause a blockage

When I need my car properly washing I just throw money away on one of those dubious places outside a supermarket where there is a price list but they ignore it and the man looks you up and down before declaring it's anywhere from £20 to £90

You usually need to go into the petrol station shop and tell them what you want and pay there, they'll give you a reciept with a code and you just plonk that in the car wash as you drive in. Then it tells you when to stop when drive in.

Some have the sale points on the outside, so you might need to tap the card there.

Just use a rainwater one if you can, because they're very wasteful

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I am watching the IPL and listened to a bit of Elgar earlier.

When Land of Hope and Glory came on I even stood up and put my hand over my heart like wot the football players do.

I might go to the shop and get some fizzy pop and sweeties in a little while.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sheltering in my container from the pissing rain

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Camrath posted:

It was more ‘normal’ ghost poo poo- I’d often hear footsteps in the landing when I went to the loo late at night. Bathroom door was made of that wavy looking glass so you could see shapes in the landing if the light was on. Often would have footsteps come up to the bathroom door while I was taking a poo poo or in the bath, but there’d be nothing in the landing.

My then girlfriend when she later moved in with me would occasionally wake up to see an elderly looking woman at the foot of the bed for a few seconds, though I never saw her. And sometimes there’d be a voice talking in the kitchen late at night- could never really make out words though.

Fantastic stuff, thanks! I love reading about people's personal spooky goings-on. :iiam:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ratjaculation posted:

SA Forums > GBS > UK Chat: elderly ghosts keep moving my pie in a tin

done

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bought some snyders jalapeno pretzel pieces at the supermarket earlier

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

bought some snyders jalapeno pretzel pieces at the supermarket earlier

I just had a big bag of them they're great

The other week the supermarket only had honey mustard and onion so I thought I'd try those, please learn from my mistake

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Camrath posted:

I love reading ghost stuff so thanks for posting this

E:

The_Doctor posted:

Fantastic stuff, thanks! I love reading about people's personal spooky goings-on. :iiam:

Same!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm in slough

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

hi in slough

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Hi dad

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Please don't mock an obvious cry for help, being in Slough is no laughing matter.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've forgotten how to negotiate crowds: dozy idiots keep getting in MY way and I get mad at them.

More seriously, after a period of being able to get in and out of a sandwich shop in under a minute, there's been the unwelcome return of the Dithering customer, which has delayed my lunch on several occasions now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

What's everyone doing today?

I am plotting the pulled pork i am going to make on our new grill

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

hemale in pain posted:

I love reading ghost stuff so thanks for posting this

The_Doctor posted:

I mean, I do have other stories.

My parents own a large farmhouse in northern France that they bought as a near derelict wreck in the late 80s and have since through a combination of their own work and throwing a lot of trade to the local clan of builders turned it into an amazingly nice holiday home. There’s been a building on the site since the 1400s, the oldest date we can confirm is that the house was expanded, refurbished and repaired in the 1680s when it was at least 100 years old. So this place dates back somewhat. It was once the brewery for a local religious institution (long since vanished) and has lasted and been expanded on over the years.

A few years after first acquiring it my folks had got it to a liveable state and started renting it out when we weren’t staying there. They kept a visitor’s book for guests to leave comments and the like. We started seeing messages in it about footsteps in one of the upstairs passages at 4 in the morning.

This passageway runs the length of the ‘farmhouse’ section, which dates back about 250 years (as opposed to the ‘Old House’, which is the original section and at the time in question was still derelict, missing stairs and chunks of floor) and has all the bedrooms open onto it. Multiple guests reported heavy tramping footsteps in it.

My mum first heard them in November 1992- we’d gone straight to the house from the funeral of a close friend and colleague of hers who died very young, so she was naturally very upset and couldn’t sleep. The master bedroom was at one end of the passageway, the “kids’ room” at the other, so she thought for a moment either myself or my brother were sleepwalking (this was when I was 11, my brother a fair bit younger). Then she realised this was the tread of a man in boots, not a bare footed small boy. She shot out of bed to check on things, but the corridor was empty..

I didn’t experience anything myself until Easter 1994. It was actually the first time we’d been left entirely alone in the house- my parents had gone to the next village over for a meeting at the bank there. My brother and I were in the playroom (had/still has a table tennis table, foosball table and more beat up sofas for us kids to mess around on) which runs directly below the passageway in question. I think we were dicking around with my brand new airsoft pistol (they’d just started to turn up in this hemisphere) when we heard the sound of heavy tramping footsteps from upstairs, stomping back and forth along the passageway.

We knew we were alone in the house- we also didn’t know about what other people had heard (parents had decided to keep it secret from us), so as you can probably imagine we both freaked out. We ended up breaking open the gun cabinet and arming ourselves with air rifles before checking upstairs- the footsteps stopped once we started up the staircase, then resumed after we went back downstairs.

This went on for what seemed like hours, but was in reality about 40 minutes or so- our parents came back to find us barricaded in the playroom- twitchy, scared and armed to the teeth. To their credit they then explained that other people had heard things too, that it was ok that we were scared but that whatever it was couldn’t hurt us.

Over the years I heard the 4am footsteps quite a few times- generally when someone in the household was either ill or grieving. And while they always scared me on hearing them, I rather liked the idea that whatever it was was somehow checking on us.

As a tangent, the Easter period seems significant to the haunting somehow- the only time we experienced anything during the day was always on Good Friday. Good Friday 2002 I was up late due to a gnarly stomach bug, while the rest of the family was at a party with local friends. I was in the dining room on my laptop, logged into some MU* game or other when I happened to look up from my screen. In the doorway (which opened onto the foot of the stairs, opposite the playroom) I saw what I can only describe as a shadow cast on nothing. The shadow figure seemed to be male, about 5’6” and of quite stocky build. Was there for about five seconds, then just melted away to nothing. I was rather impressed with myself- I was able to touch-type out ‘guys I am looking at a loving ghost’ to the people I was roleplaying with on the MU* without taking my eyes off it.

Last time I heard anything for definite was Good Friday 2005, when my whole family were gathered in the courtyard making plans for a big party we were throwing later in the year. I popped inside to get a glass of water and heard someone go up the stairs, which I thought nothing of.. until I went back into the courtyard and saw everyone still gathered there.

We did some research and asked around the local folk to see if we could figure out a cause. Apparently there was a legend attached to the house related to a manservant of the family living there in the early 1800s. This guy, known as ‘Gaston’ in the stories, apparently was super dedicated to the family’s children, and died either during a fire or a robbery (we heard both versions) protecting them. It was one of those old legends in the village that the old-timers passed amongst themselves at the bar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I just went into the kitchen, put the kettle on, put teabag in mug, and in the act of turning around to get milk out of the fridge thought to myself "I should put the kettle on and make some more tea".

That's it, I'm done. The dementia is here already.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
ghosts arent real hope this helps

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

2.0: Cookie Cutter
2.0: Barudak
2.0: Roblo
2.0: Fumble
2.0: Shogi
2.0: Power_of_the_glory
2.0: Szyznyk
2.0: Moon is a grass
2.0: The Natch
2.0: Ratjaculation
2.0: Algol Star
2.0: Zihuatanejo41
1.0: Bunnybane
1.0: mrpwase
1.0: CoolCab
1.0: Chewbakky
1.0: weirdly chilly pussy
1.0: Daikatana Ritsu
1.0: Sunswipe
1.0: spud
1.0: Whorelord
1.0: gludel
1.0: Total Meatlove
1.0: fridge corn
1.0: Jose
1.0: TTerrible
1.0: Looke
1.0: Sleeveless
1.0: gnarlyhotep
1.0: Superterranean
1.0: Unkempt
1.0: feedmegin

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ratty... why...

e: also didn't know dogatron's wife is called moon

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

2.0: Cookie Cutter
2.0: Barudak
2.0: Roblo
2.0: Fumble
2.0: Shogi
2.0: Power_of_the_glory
2.0: Szyznyk
2.0: Moon is a grass
2.0: The Natch
2.0: Ratjaculation
2.0: Algol Star
2.0: Zihuatanejo41
1.0: Bunnybane
1.0: mrpwase
1.0: CoolCab
1.0: Chewbakky
1.0: weirdly chilly pussy
1.0: Daikatana Ritsu
1.0: Sunswipe
1.0: spud
1.0: Whorelord
1.0: gludel
1.0: Total Meatlove
1.0: fridge corn
1.0: Jose
1.0: TTerrible
1.0: Looke
1.0: Sleeveless
1.0: gnarlyhotep
1.0: Superterranean
1.0: Unkempt
1.0: feedmegin
pathetic k/dr

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
youzama ben lawden

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

ratty... why...

e: also didn't know dogatron's wife is called moon

Bobby's recent behaviour

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I had a spooky ghost encounter camped in a bothy doing the south west coast path many years ago. It had a small mezzanine hayloft type thing that sounded like something was creaking back and forth on it all night, even though there was no wind. :ghost:

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Spent the afternoon in the hot tub, I'm no longer being a bitch about the wife buying the tub. 40°c is beautiful heat to sit in and chill with a gin and tonic.
£300 well spent.

Whole setup for 300 that is, including some sponge jigsaw matting, protective cover and thermal cover (with added aftermarket insulation inserts) plus a brand new clearwater spa starter and maintainance kit, an extra bottle of chlorine powder, four new filters, outdoor insulated extention lead, an extra pack of ph/chlorine tester strips and plastic clip on drinks holder.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Salisbury Snape posted:

Spent the afternoon in the hot tub, I'm no longer being a bitch about the wife buying the tub. 40°c is beautiful heat to sit in and chill with a gin and tonic.
£300 well spent.

Whole setup for 300 that is, including some sponge jigsaw matting, protective cover and thermal cover (with added aftermarket insulation inserts) plus a brand new clearwater spa starter and maintainance kit, an extra bottle of chlorine powder, four new filters, outdoor insulated extention lead, an extra pack of ph/chlorine tester strips and plastic clip on drinks holder.

What gin in your g n t?

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

fridge corn posted:

What gin in your g n t?

Whitley Neill raspberry. Still have a 1.75l bottle from when Sainsburys did it cheap last year. :sun:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Salisbury Snape posted:

£300 well spent.

Hot tubs are great. We moved here just before Christmas and the house came with a permanent one on the decking. Got a looot of use out of it this week.

Just be careful- they can get super gross very easily

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014

Yea, I'm intent on chucking the chems in it every day and keeping it clean. Benefit of it being a blow up is we can collapse and store it away during the winter so we don't have to do a full recommision and clean.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Logging into Planetside 2 for the 1st time in a year.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

vanu 4 lyfe

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Based on my experiences with PS2's chat, your choice of faction is allegedly a reliable personality indicator.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Salisbury Snape posted:

Yea, I'm intent on chucking the chems in it every day and keeping it clean. Benefit of it being a blow up is we can collapse and store it away during the winter so we don't have to do a full recommision and clean.

Yeah, I had to clean ours out a few weeks back as we’d not used it over winter.

While better than it could have been, it was still pretty loving gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq54jb_5WCI