Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Vintersorg posted:

UGH! I finally got around to setting up a monitor arm my brother got me and it didn’t work. Monitor kept sinking even at the highest torque. It says rated for 17lbs and my AW34 ultra wide says it is 16lbs by Itself. And stupid me threw out some of the extra bits so I don’t think Amazon will take it back.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VHR4QNY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_RAGDP9YF48AQTRJNT94R

Time to go back and search for something that can handle this.

FWIW I've yet to see any of the """adjustable""" monitor arms that aren't filled with reviews of people saying they don't hold for poo poo. Either immediately or after a few months when they can't be returned.

The ones that let you rotate to portrait mode always end up not holding on that axis as well, because using a flimsy friction-lock instead of pin-in-hole for 0° and 90° never works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the ergotron / amazonbasics ones are fine.

you have to tighten up the spring in the arm, it ships very loose, that's why it's filled with people saying it doesn't hold, but it's in the instructions and there's a big label on the device pointing you to the spot you need to tighten it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Paul MaudDib posted:

the ergotron / amazonbasics ones are fine.

you have to tighten up the spring in the arm, it ships very loose, that's why it's filled with people saying it doesn't hold, but it's in the instructions and there's a big label on the device pointing you to the spot you need to tighten it.

every single review pointing out "we've tightened the adjustment as far as it will go and it still droops" are just idiots?

OR

Quality control is for chumps, just ship that poo poo and most people won't bother to return it.

Which do you think is more likely?

Overall the design itself is flawed.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have the Amazon Basic for my 34" Ultrawide and it worked fine for years. I moved it all the time all over and the only issue I had was I had to tighten it every 3 or 4 months. It did seem like it was at its limit with my monitor though it was rated for much heavier ones, but hard to say.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rusty posted:

I have the Amazon Basic for my 34" Ultrawide and it worked fine for years. I moved it all the time all over and the only issue I had was I had to tighten it every 3 or 4 months. It did seem like it was at its limit with my monitor though it was rated for much heavier ones, but hard to say.

You're going to run out of thread to tighten it. That shouldn't be a thing, at all.

My problem is there's no market for anything but cheap flimsy sheet metal for a wall-mount not-on-an-arm. I don't want to height adjust it, or swivel. I don't want it to come closer to me, the goal is to move it as far back as humanly possible. I don't want easy-to-adjust tilt, I want to set it up once and lock it in and never think about it again. I definitely don't want droop-swivel, I intend to perma-mount one at 90° and never rotate it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have the dual monitor AmazonBasics one and it's been fine for me ever since I set it up.

This one here: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Dual-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN71I/

This is the single monitor version: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O/

They sell ones that directly mount to the wall as well, but I'm not about to fill this post with Amazon links. The reviews do say there's a problem where the mount itself won't budge, but you just have to use the loosening tool thing a few times, then just work it until it starts to give.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Harik posted:

You're going to run out of thread to tighten it. That shouldn't be a thing, at all.

My problem is there's no market for anything but cheap flimsy sheet metal for a wall-mount not-on-an-arm. I don't want to height adjust it, or swivel. I don't want it to come closer to me, the goal is to move it as far back as humanly possible. I don't want easy-to-adjust tilt, I want to set it up once and lock it in and never think about it again. I definitely don't want droop-swivel, I intend to perma-mount one at 90° and never rotate it.

I got one of these, and while it may ultimately be stamped sheet metal, that thing ain't going nowhere unless something picks the TV up (and you could trim a piece of wood and wedge it under the spring-loaded bottom attachment bits if you were concerned about that). I was super impressed with the quality, if you properly install it into studs it'll easily hold far more weight than it's rated for, and flat it probably holds the back of the VESA mount within about 2-2.5" of the wall, depending on the offsets you need to use.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

K8.0 posted:

I got one of these, and while it may ultimately be stamped sheet metal, that thing ain't going nowhere unless something picks the TV up (and you could trim a piece of wood and wedge it under the spring-loaded bottom attachment bits if you were concerned about that). I was super impressed with the quality, if you properly install it into studs it'll easily hold far more weight than it's rated for, and flat it probably holds the back of the VESA mount within about 2-2.5" of the wall, depending on the offsets you need to use.
I have one just like this for my TV and it works fine and definitely is not going anywhere. It's also really close to the wall and was super easy to install, I did the whole thing by myself twice with 55" TVs.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Keep tightening. Make sure you are going the right way. It happened to me and my also a buddy to whom I recommended the arms.

Or they are all crap but 100% of the three I've dealt with are fine. Pick your poison.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I have a pair of Dell MSA20 arms, they are very solid but expensive. https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-single-monitor-arm-msa20/apd/482-bbdi/monitors-monitor-accessories

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i bought a couple of "suptek" brand arms because they were the only ones that advertised a supported weight heavy enough for my old-rear end 30" ccfl monitors. i needed to exchange one but the two i'm using have held fine for 3 years now and were only $20 each. unfortunately it's no longer available

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Rusty posted:

You don't need one that is officially certified, but you need a high speed cable to carry that signal or you won't get 120hz. I got this one from Amazon which works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS6SPCS/

Also I should note that you need to check the resolution in the nVidia control panel. There are the normal resolutions at the top, but you have to go down to the PC settings and use those resolutions to get 120hz.

Thanks. I ran out to best buy and got one for $80 that will hold me until the one you suggested arrived.

My god. Gaming on a 4k OLED is glorious. I am in awe. Now I need to see how to tweak my settings because I'm only getting about 60-70 fps in Space Engineers when I'm out in space.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

K8.0 posted:

I looked into that style of mount (and I use it on my TVs) but I really don't want 3 screens all flat to the wall, they need some angle. It'd work for the center but not the right, and definitely not the portrait-mode to the left.

something like this style but not made of tinfoil and with a functioning tilt lock (and preferably no rotation option at all)

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Rusty posted:

I’ve had my 34 inch ultrawide on the Amazon Basic stand for well over a year, and since I rarely move it, I’ve never had to tighten it all after the initial install. Like you said though, I don’t think you could go any heavier than whatever my AW3418 weighs.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItPCOFR5xuU

LG refreshed the 27GL850/27GN850 without raising the price. Not a lot of huge changes but enough to go back to the top of the HUB recommendation stack.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I've used these for two 24" monitors since September and I adjust them on the regular, they hold up perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DM7N5BH/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
So my M27Q had one pixel always stuck at red. I bought another one, intending to return the dead pixel one. I didn't bother hooking up new one until today... And it's even worse? Thought it was fine at first, one an all white screen, didn't notice any dead pixels. However, on all black, there were two near center of screen that remained reddish, clearly visible among the black of everything else.

I still have 2 more days where I can return this first one, then also got a while to return the replacement... But since the replacement would need replacing and I don't want to be in this daisy chain of buying monitors hoping they're perfect to later return the OG, I think I'll just keep the first one. The red pixel is mostly visible on all-white, and I tend to have colours of darkmodes on so whatever.

Did I get unlucky getting two monitors in a row with a dead pixel or is that somewhat common?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Super uncommon and not something you should accept. Return them, maybe consider switching the monitor in case there's a bad batch of panels, production, or shipping.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

K8.0 posted:

Super uncommon and not something you should accept. Return them, maybe consider switching the monitor in case there's a bad batch of panels, production, or shipping.

Gigabyte is relatively new to the monitor game, right?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

TheDK posted:

Gigabyte is relatively new to the monitor game, right?

Probably more importantly than Gigabyte being a new brand to monitors (Gigabyte isnt actually manufacturing the monitors in all likelihood, and they are probably rolling off assembly lines feet away from monitors with MSI or AOC or BenQ branding) is that the M27Q actually uses a Sharp panel, which is a company just recently returning to the gamer market. I think Gigabyte is the only big brand using the panels to date.

So it is possible they don't have the same QC of the more established panel makers selling millions of units. All that sad, Sharp/NEC has been in the display market for basically as long as it has existed, so it could also just be bad luck to get two bummer units in a row.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No dead pixels on my M27Q as far as I can tell. But the level of backlight bleed is not ideal. Still I prefer it to the 83A I briefly had.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Hey y'all,

I'm looking at buying a Toughbook for my business, and I'm leaning toward a model with integrated graphics and 4:3 aspect ratio 1024 x 768 native resolution, which is like "holy poo poo time warp" for me, and I was wondering if you all had any input on selecting a couple of remote monitors for a desk docking station

Any recommendations for 4:3 aspect ratio monitors? Preferably vesa mountable (so I can keep them off my workbench) but I could always use a shelf. I'm not opposed to buying LCD panels and fabbing an enclosure if it's significantly cheaper / I need to

Based on my research (I'm consumer electronics impaired) seems I could run non-native aspect ratio / resolution on the remote monitors but I do prefer 4:3 all other things equal for my purposes (reading/editing documents, spreadsheets, etc.), but it seems like there's limited availability of monitors in the 4:3 aspect ratio (or maybe I'm just searching it wrong). It's also been forever since I had a desktop or monitors etc, so I just don't really know what my options are

Thanks!

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

eighty-four merc posted:

I'm looking at buying a Toughbook for my business, and I'm leaning toward a model with integrated graphics and 4:3 aspect ratio 1024 x 768 native resolution

why? how? I'm legit impressed you managed to even find such a thing available for sale in tyool 2021

eighty-four merc posted:

Any recommendations for 4:3 aspect ratio monitors?

they basically don't exist anymore, and the ones that do exist are mostly weird SKU's for special usecases that are probably really loving expensive. if you insist on this aspect ratio ebay is probably going to be your best bet.

just for the record there is absolutely no technical reason to match aspect ratios between a laptop screen and an external monitor attached to that laptop

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 5, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eighty-four merc posted:

Hey y'all,

I'm looking at buying a Toughbook for my business, and I'm leaning toward a model with integrated graphics and 4:3 aspect ratio 1024 x 768 native resolution, which is like "holy poo poo time warp" for me, and I was wondering if you all had any input on selecting a couple of remote monitors for a desk docking station

Any recommendations for 4:3 aspect ratio monitors? Preferably vesa mountable (so I can keep them off my workbench) but I could always use a shelf. I'm not opposed to buying LCD panels and fabbing an enclosure if it's significantly cheaper / I need to

Based on my research (I'm consumer electronics impaired) seems I could run non-native aspect ratio / resolution on the remote monitors but I do prefer 4:3 all other things equal for my purposes (reading/editing documents, spreadsheets, etc.), but it seems like there's limited availability of monitors in the 4:3 aspect ratio (or maybe I'm just searching it wrong). It's also been forever since I had a desktop or monitors etc, so I just don't really know what my options are

Thanks!

the only 4:3 monitors you are going to find are ancient 15" ones from like 15 years ago, probably used. the world moved on from 4:3 ratios when the CRT died, and even 5:4 and 16:10 have died over time in favor of 16:9.

is there a reason you don't get a normal 1080p monitor? the monitor doesn't have to be the same resolution or ratio as the onboard display. does it have a DVI out or a HDMI out, or only VGA? if not, can you get a dock that does? what is the onboard graphics / what is the cpu?

but to directly answer your question: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#a=4003&v=75075,100100,100200,200100,200200,400200

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 5, 2021

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

There are definitely still 4:3 monitors being made, just not targeted towards consumers. Elo is the brand I've seen the most, my company gets them for industrial machines. There's another one that I don't know the brand of. No idea where or how much they would cost to get though.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Do you have anything against running a 16:9 monitor in portrait instead of landscape? You mentioned reading and editing documents, and I frequently see people using normal monitors in a portrait orientation for that. That could let you see an entire page at a time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The BB people said it didn't have any dead pixels, they tested it by flipping on the monitor not plugged into a computer. Maybe dead was the wrong word, wrong colour or dim on black/white, whatever you call it. They were gonna take it back even if I gave no reason, not sure why they even checked. I suppose I could still take this one back today or tomorrow or start the refund/replace online. Or just grab a different one in the actual store. If I were a gambling addict I would wager I will just keep it and just be snootier about the next upgrade in five years

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

TheFluff posted:

why? how? I'm legit impressed you managed to even find such a thing available for sale in tyool 2021

Get this — it has a serial port too! (And actually that’s a huge selling point for me. I’m not not technical, this kind of stuff isn’t my wheelhouse)

TheFluff posted:

just for the record there is absolutely no technical reason to match aspect ratios between a laptop screen and an external monitor attached to that laptop

Ok sick, that’s the feedback I’m after

Paul MaudDib posted:

is there a reason you don't get a normal 1080p monitor? the monitor doesn't have to be the same resolution or ratio as the onboard display. does it have a DVI out or a HDMI out, or only VGA? if not, can you get a dock that does? what is the onboard graphics / what is the cpu?

Both the dock and laptop have 1 x HDMI and 1 x VGA. 3 x USB as well. The laptop will have either and i5-5300u (intel he graphics 5500 or i5-7300/7600u (intel hd graphics 620) depending on if I go current gen or previous. From memory, they support 3 displays total, so I could theoretically run 3 monitors (with a usb to vga / hdmi adapter) in dock mode I think?

MonkeyFit posted:

Do you have anything against running a 16:9 monitor in portrait instead of landscape? You mentioned reading and editing documents, and I frequently see people using normal monitors in a portrait orientation for that. That could let you see an entire page at a time.

That’s a good as hell idea, thank you

Ok, so I’ll def be getting some 16:9 monitors looks like. Any best bang for your buck vendors, other insights for monitors in general? Anything I should consider when combining portrait and landscape monitors aside from, like, port compatibility and trigonometry?

Thanks again guys, really

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

eighty-four merc posted:

Anything I should consider when combining portrait and landscape monitors aside from, like, port compatibility and trigonometry?

Thanks again guys, really

Windows display settings lets you move your monitors around to approximate how they look in the real world. Play around with it while moving your mouse from one screen to another so you don't have weird poo poo going on like moving your mouse off the right side of one screen and it shows up on the far left screen.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pro tip, DisplayFusion has this handy tweak:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I can't imagine even considering a 1024x768 display at this point in time. Before you buy this Toughbook, I think you need to ask if you actually need the hardware you think you need, because there's like a 99% chance you're wrong about the most effective way for you to spend money to make money.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

eighty-four merc posted:

Get this — it has a serial port too! (And actually that’s a huge selling point for me. I’m not not technical, this kind of stuff isn’t my wheelhouse)

If you need a serial port I would instead look at a modern laptop with a USB to RS232 adaptor. What is your specific usecase?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

phosdex posted:

There are definitely still 4:3 monitors being made, just not targeted towards consumers. Elo is the brand I've seen the most, my company gets them for industrial machines. There's another one that I don't know the brand of. No idea where or how much they would cost to get though.

Yeah my work got in a whole shipment of dells in 4:3 and I was honestly shocked anyone made them or wanted them still. (Feel bad for the poor folks getting stuck with them.) They said they got them super cheap, imo if they paid $1 for them it was to much but. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BurritoJustice posted:

If you need a serial port I would instead look at a modern laptop with a USB to RS232 adaptor. What is your specific usecase?

there are definitely old pieces of RS232 industrial hardware that do not play nice with adaptors, and since OP is after a toughbook I think this might be the case. I would be moving heaven and earth to figure out a way to not buy a 1024x768 laptop, though.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there are definitely old pieces of RS232 industrial hardware that do not play nice with adaptors, and since OP is after a toughbook I think this might be the case. I would be moving heaven and earth to figure out a way to not buy a 1024x768 laptop, though.
in my experience it's more that many of the adapters are lovely. we use rocketports and they seem to work fine. at my last job we bought the cheapest possible hardware and they failed all the time. also agreed with the 1024x768, i'm an internal software developer and our minimum supported resolution is 1280x1024

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

K8.0 posted:

I can't imagine even considering a 1024x768 display at this point in time. Before you buy this Toughbook, I think you need to ask if you actually need the hardware you think you need, because there's like a 99% chance you're wrong about the most effective way for you to spend money to make money.

Yeah I looked at and priced out alternatives. I’m not sure what display resolution has to do with making money. I make money mostly without touching a computer, but I still usually need to touch a computer in the field at least once for most jobs. So I need to have confidence that it will work when I need it to

I’m sure some combination of smart phones, tablets, cases, RDS and other poo poo I don’t have any experience or interest in would be more “effective” but I’m not that guy

BurritoJustice posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’ve done w my current laptop. The use case is is machine controls (Rockwell etc). It isn’t strictly speaking necessary but I’ve lost my adapter before which is a PITA so it’s nice that it’s just there

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If anyone was waiting for a deal and doesn't mind potential cosmetic damage, looks like Amazon Warehouse has thread favorite LG 27GL83A-B in stock for $270 as of this post.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

eighty-four merc posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’ve done w my current laptop. The use case is is machine controls (Rockwell etc). It isn’t strictly speaking necessary but I’ve lost my adapter before which is a PITA so it’s nice that it’s just there

just carry a couple on you, cram them in different bags, etc

this is honestly way better for you than buying a 1024x768 laptop

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Does anyone know when the 23.8" 240Hz 1080p ips panels are dropping? For example, viewsonic XG2431 was supposed to have some news but everything is still silent. I'm in the market for an fps monitor and it allegedly has a number of desirable traits that the 360Hz ips panels & 240Hz tn panels don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Khorne posted:

Does anyone know when the 23.8" 240Hz 1080p ips panels are dropping? For example, viewsonic XG2431 was supposed to have some news but everything is still silent. I'm in the market for an fps monitor and it allegedly has a number of desirable traits that the 360Hz ips panels & 240Hz tn panels don't have.

Lenovo Legion Y25-25 is 240Hz IPS if you don't mind stepping up to 24.5"