Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Why would anyone bother with that bullshit when the restaurant industry solved this a decade ago with infrared sensors mounted just under the faucet/next to the seat/stall?

You can't play interactive ads with an infrared sensor.

:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

eXXon posted:

You mean the ones that flush the toilet you're sitting on if you lean too far forward, or the ones that refuse to turn the faucet on unless you position your hands just right? Let alone the fuckers that make you run your hands together before they turn on.

That's the real tech nightmare.

1.) I've never experienced that, personally. Do you wear your winter coat on the toilet or something?
2.) You mean like, under the faucet? Cause the sensor is mounted directly underneath the spout barely four inches away.
3.) Never seen one that requires motion, just that your hands are in front of the sensor.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ate those the sensors that don't trigger for black people?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

1.) I've never experienced that, personally. Do you wear your winter coat on the toilet or something?

Since I am not alone in this, I might have been wearing a dark shirt and unwittingly confounding it.

Mister Facetious posted:

2.) You mean like, under the faucet? Cause the sensor is mounted directly underneath the spout barely four inches away.

Have you never been to a lovely airport bathroom where the faucet wouldn't turn on unless you moved your hands right under the faucet, or at all? Most likely the battery was running low or dead entirely

Mister Facetious posted:

3.) Never seen one that requires motion, just that your hands are in front of the sensor.

You've never seen an automatic faucet with a sign instructing you rto rub your hands together on a washing motion to activate it?

FilthyImp posted:

Well if the touch faucet isn't working well then surely facial recognition is the answer!

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 5, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

was about to post this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Since I am not alone in this, I might have been wearing a dark shirt and unwittingly confounding it.

Weird. You'd think with using body heat it wouldn't matter, because anything above ambient should work. Or is a heat sensor and an infrared sensor different things?

quote:

Have you never been to a lovely airport bathroom where the faucet wouldn't turn on unless you moved your hands right under the faucet, or at all? Most likely the battery was running low or dead entirely

I haven't been to an airport since 2005, v:v:v but I've yet to experience that issue in a restaurant/public building.

quote:

You've never seen an automatic faucet with a sign instructing you rto rub your hands together on a washing motion to activate it?

Not yet.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

Weird. You'd think with using body heat it wouldn't matter, because anything above ambient should work. Or is a heat sensor and an infrared sensor different things?

I think they're just a near-infrared LED (since I see red lights coming out of them, presuming that's the short wavelength end of the LED rather than a power/status light), paired with a camera that detects the reflected light from your clothing. So if you have a shirt that's not very infrared-reflective, or you lean at angle/too far away, it won't reflect enough light back and will either think you got up or maybe never sat down in the first place.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
im imaging that patent drawing where you have to jump off of hte couch and enthusiastically yell mcdonalds to escape the ad and continue watching your teevee show, except now you have to watch an ad and proclaim your everlasting love for your corporate overlord if you want to wash your hands.

progress! they have a bathroom at an old office building i worked at with one of the sinks had a foot operated bar (probably ADA something or other) and it was 100% more reliable than the sensors on any of the sinks. this tech is a nightmare!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
When I'd visit my grandparents in Mexico City in the 90s, basically all the public bathrooms had these things.

You had to physically hold the metal thing to get the water flowing and there was a technique to it that you figured out by living in mexico for a while. Just bring these things back but maybe put in an app that times you or something i dunno, I havent had as many problems with these things as some people have with the other kinds of automatic sinks.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Good writeup on that big Finnish mental health record breach:
They Told Their Therapists Everything. Hackers Leaked It All

quote:

At around 4 pm, Jere checked Snapchat. An email notification popped up on his screen. His hands began to shake. The subject line included his full name, his social security number, and the name of a clinic where he’d gotten mental health treatment as a teenager: Vastaamo. He didn’t recognize the sender, but he knew what the email said before he opened it.

A few days earlier, Vastaamo had announced a catastrophic data breach. A security flaw in the company’s IT systems had exposed its entire patient database to the open internet—not just email addresses and social security numbers, but the actual written notes that therapists had taken. A group of hackers, or one masquerading as many, had gotten hold of the data. The message in Jere’s inbox was a ransom demand.

“If we receive €200 worth of Bitcoin within 24 hours, your information will be permanently deleted from our servers,” the email said in Finnish. If Jere missed the first deadline, he’d have another 48 hours to fork over €500, or about $600. After that, “your information will be published for all to see.”

Jere had first gone to Vastaamo when he was 16. He had dropped out of school and begun to self-harm, he says, and was consuming “extreme amounts” of Jägermeister each week. His girlfriend at the time insisted he get help; she believed it was the only way Jere would see his 18th birthday.

During his therapy sessions, Jere spoke about his abusive parents—how they forced him, when he was a young kid, to walk the nearly 4 miles home from school, or made him sleep out in the garden if he “was being a disappointment.” He talked about using marijuana, LSD, DMT. He said he’d organized an illegal rave and was selling drugs. He said he’d thought about killing himself. After each session, Jere’s therapist typed out his notes and uploaded them to Vastaamo’s servers. “I was just being honest,” Jere says. He had “no idea” that they were backing the information up digitally.

In the cafeteria, Jere grabbed his bag and told his friends he’d turn in his portion of the physics project the next day. On the bus ride home, he frantically texted his best friend to come over. Then his mother called; as the adult listed on his old account, she’d received the ransom note too. She and Jere were on good terms now, but if she got involved she might learn what he’d said in his sessions. Then, he says, he’d probably lose her from his life completely. He told his mother not to worry. That afternoon, he filed an online police report.

Jere poured himself a shot of vodka, then two or three more. He found his vape pen and took a Xanax, prescribed to him years earlier for anxiety. He’d stored a few pills in his bedroom drawer just in case, but he never believed he’d need them again. He passed out shortly after his friend arrived.

But the slick exterior concealed deep vulnerabilities. Mikael Koivukangas, head of R&D at a Finnish medtech firm called Onesys Medical, points out that Vastaamo’s system violated one of the “first principles of cybersecurity”: It didn’t anonymize the records. It didn’t even encrypt them. The only thing protecting patients’ confessions and confidences were a couple of firewalls and a server login screen. Anyone with experience in the field, Koivukangas says, could’ve helped Vastaamo design a safer system.

On the morning of Wednesday, October 21, the hacker posted a message on Ylilauta, an anonymous public discussion board. “We have attempted to negotiate with the Ville Tapio, the CEO of vastaamo, but he has stopped responding to our emails,” they wrote in English. Until they got their 40 bitcoin ransom, they were going to leak 100 patient records each day. The first batch was already up on a Tor server. Anyone who wanted to could go read them.

Either way, ransom_man soon changed tactics and started extorting individual patients. This was unusual. Most of the time, cybercriminals go after institutions, according to Hyppönen. He knew of only one earlier instance of patients being singled out—in late 2019, after a breach at the Center for Facial Restoration in Miramar, Florida. (Since the Vastaamo attack, he adds, two other hacks have also targeted patients of plastic surgery clinics.) “Most attackers want money, and health care data is not directly monetizable,” Hyppönen says. But with real-world examples of the crime paying off, he adds, “it could become more common.”

“Being honest about my mental health turned out to be a bad idea,” Jere says. He worries about identity theft, about some debt collection company calling him out of the blue and demanding tens of thousands of euros. He worries that his history of teenage alcoholism, so well documented on the web, will make it hard for him to find meaningful work as an adult. And he still worries that his mother may read his file one day. It’s somewhere in the ether, accessible to anyone.

I think we're going to see more and more attacks like this going forward, and it'll just hasten the unraveling of the fabric of polite society further. People will be even more reticent to talk to mental health professionals when they can't trust that anything they say won't inevitably be stolen, pored over, and weaponized by the absolute scum of the earth.

porkinson
Jan 20, 2015

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

Good writeup on that big Finnish mental health record breach:
They Told Their Therapists Everything. Hackers Leaked It All

I think we're going to see more and more attacks like this going forward, and it'll just hasten the unraveling of the fabric of polite society further. People will be even more reticent to talk to mental health professionals when they can't trust that anything they say won't inevitably be stolen, pored over, and weaponized by the absolute scum of the earth.

That is loving soul crushing. Hopefully 12 months of free credit monitoring will fix the issue.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Phy posted:

in the vein of goods-as-a-service/internet of things tomfuckery, this made it into Cycle Asylum earlier this week:

https://jalopnik.com/this-dystopian-biker-airbag-crash-vest-only-saves-your-1846823791

It's an airbag vest for motorcyclists. You can pay $12/mo or $120/year (or a $400 one-time fee) to activate it, and if you forget to, or your cell service is poo poo, or you forget to charge it, uh, oops, guess it doesn't airbag when you need it

This is on top of $400 for the equipment alone.

Or, you can buy a vest from a different company that costs $650 and just activates by a tether to your bike! It won't help so much if you go down and slide next to the bike, but if that happens there's a good chance you wouldn't have needed the airbag, and the company can't revoke a tether.

(I guess this isn't really a "companies circling the drain" event, because Klim aren't going anywhere any time soon. They make decent if expensive motorcycle gear otherwise, especially for the BMW and KTM-riding "adventure bike" set, it's just, this is bullshit)

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Survival-as-a-Service

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A tech billionaire needs a new liver and suddenly the failure rate of cycle airbags ticks upward.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Greene_DM/status/1390287432180973574

:lol:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Die you piece of poo poo. It'll be a fitting end for passing that public bill in California.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There is no reason why they would die now
they're losing the same amount of money they always were.

The of self-driving car poo poo only existed as a post-hoc justification for their sky-high stock prices so investors would think there's something to the company other than losing money on every ride and having no plans to achieve profitability
but they've realized that the stock market is way stupider than they thought and they don't even need a justification

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There is no reason why they would die now
they're losing the same amount of money they always were.

The of self-driving car poo poo only existed as a post-hoc justification for their sky-high stock prices so investors would think there's something to the company other than losing money on every ride and having no plans to achieve profitability
but they've realized that the stock market is way stupider than they thought and they don't even need a justification

Remember when they released that bullshit whitepaper about Uber helicopters? One guy I went to school with who worked there was so pissed when I called it "investor story time".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
rip stupid flying car concept, you were the same as thousands of other stupid flying car concepts and you will be the same as the thousands of stupid flying car concepts to come, all of which equally feed the hollow emotional needs of gullible consumer tech advocates and business journalists on tight deadlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWOUEFB_IQ

it is fun going back through empty promises long after they've expired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LpDsYzRQ8k

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 6, 2021

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Test flights in 2020 lol

I wonder what's going to happen to all the Uber dependent tech heads once it and lyft and all the other ones go belly up. I feel like the taxi industry is so hollowed out now it would almost require state intervention to rebuild.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
I am always astonished by the idea that technology advances through big dreams instead of the laborious process of extracting knowledge from the void of our understanding and then grinding out the practical engineering issues.

No one thinks traffic congestion or disease is good poindexter, do the hard work.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the thing about taxi companies is that in many places they are very easy to set up. this is the biggest problem uber faces, in that they can't meaningfully raise rates to become solvent without getting undercut by a bunch of competitors. the plan was to try to force every other provider under the uber banner, but that didn't pan out. then magical stories of magical self driving taxis which will lower costs, somehow, to keep the funding rolling in while uber gropes for a path towards sustainable profits

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

MickeyFinn posted:

I am always astonished by the idea that technology advances through big dreams instead of the laborious process of extracting knowledge from the void of our understanding and then grinding out the practical engineering issues.

No one thinks traffic congestion or disease is good poindexter, do the hard work.

Yeah there's a pretty huge problem where people confuse science fiction with actual technological development.

There's also a problem with people wanting tech to imitate sci-fi, even when the sci-fi was dystopian. Neuromancer and 1984 were meant to be cautionary tales, not blueprints for a better future.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

rip stupid flying car concept, you were the same as thousands of other stupid flying car concepts and you will be the same as the thousands of stupid flying car concepts to come, all of which equally feed the hollow emotional needs of gullible consumer tech advocates and business journalists on tight deadlines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuWOUEFB_IQ

it is fun going back through empty promises long after they've expired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LpDsYzRQ8k

This whole time we've had Uber all wrong. They were playing the long game until they came out with a way to efficiently kill off rich people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've posted about this before but flying car concepts have a long history of being obvious bullshit and also forever five years away. turns out the technology side of the thing is not the problem with the concept of everyone whizzing around in their own personally owned flying machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plNO7fntQkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv7w6wqR98Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ5iJnctzLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bomcplQqfog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNp_iO-2Jfg

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Flying cars aren't obvious bullshit that's perpetually 5 years away, they're just waiting on the invention of miniaturized cold fusion reactors.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Don't know why anyone would want a flying car when they can't land on top of their office tower or near a crowd of people like a helicopter can.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Mister Facetious posted:

Don't know why anyone would want a flying car when they can't land on top of their office tower or near a crowd of people like a helicopter can.

It's the same assholes who's choose flight over invisibility: they want everyone to see what obnoxious douchebags they are and also be physically unable to do anything to them for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
None of these proposals have even started to address the issue of: okay, you have a cheap, working "flying car." Now: how do you address the regulatory and licensing issues such that you can use that flying car to do anything people usually want flying cars to do?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
parking is the immediate problem that comes to mind, personally

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

parking is the immediate problem that comes to mind, personally

Parking, pilot licensing, flight plans, weather issues, aerodrome licensing (you can't simply land a helicopter wherever you like, legally speaking), traffic separation, maintenance requirements, even something as trivial as safety briefings.

There's a lot of poo poo to deal with.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The flying cars never land, you just parachute out, like the popular game Fortnite.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Libra posted:

The flying cars never land, you just parachute out, like the popular game Fortnite.

Yes but how do you get in? Grab a rope as it swings by and start climbing?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's the same assholes who's choose flight over invisibility: they want everyone to see what obnoxious douchebags they are and also be physically unable to do anything to them for it.

Wait what? What's a noncreepy thing you could be doing with invisibility? gently caress that, be a birb.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

But a helicopter can display conspicuous consumption much more obviously because it isn't restricted to an airport to land. Probably why Trump loves Air Force 2 (or whatever that helicopter is called) so much. He could land directly on the lawn of the Mara Lago.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

aphid_licker posted:

Wait what? What's a noncreepy thing you could be doing with invisibility? gently caress that, be a birb.

Be a cool casino thief like Danny Ocean.

But yeah, flight is better but only if you assume you can fly faster than you can walk/run. Otherwise it's mostly pointless.

Flying cars can only come after we solve self driving cars. Because I've seen Baton Rouge drivers in 2D, God help us all if you let them drive in 3D.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

aphid_licker posted:

You could be the best nature photographer in the world

A really great health inspector or regulatory person.

The worlds greatest puppeteer / ventriloquist.

Flying is way more likely to result in self injury or accidental death so I'm good on that.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Driving is already a nightmare in on a flat surface, I don't even want to think about having to merge and deal with other drivers in a three-dimensional space hundreds of feet in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
god you nerds, flying obviously has some light defense buffs and other required secondary powers so you dont self injure unless you do dumb poo poo like max speed stuff.

you dont do flying because it means that the gov. super agency will find you faster unless you only do stealthy night flights.